• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U: new update available (5.1.0) - Wii U to Wii U transfer + eShop controllers

I wonder if eShop shows you the future

I don't like seeing 3DS titles mixed in with my WiiU unless I could buy them and run them on one platform

give me that hardware Nintendo!

Cbajd5

......... seriously?

After the Wii hacking debacle that made online games unplayable outside your friends list, you can pretty much guarantee that ANYTHING to do with the SD card will never happen. You can thank the pricks who ruined it for the rest of us.

Wii hacking isn't what cut out SD Card suppourt, I think it was just because it needs to be used by the Wii and thus you couldn't share an SD card between the Wii and Wii U menus. (Since the Wii U has it's own file system in comparison to the Wii's FAT32 or whatever support.) However, save files being locked are quite clearly related to the hacking stuff.

Mine hasn't done this as of yet. I've occasionally seen the Home button blinking in the past with stuff like this, I think, but nothing as of yet. I imagine it's just random when machines will update?

The standby light turned off so I just checked. Didn't do anything after all, only received a msg that the update was available. Guess it would've downloaded later at night.

Sayter

Purchases are tied to your NNID, that's not the issue. The issue is that your NNID is locked to a console, and only a call to Nintendo can change that

I wonder when people are going to stop thinking that purchases are tied to hardware? It has to be soon, right?

You WANT your digital games to be tied to both your account and hardware. What you don't want is your account to be tied TO your hardware.

When a game is tied to both, other accounts on that system can play the games another profile bought, and the games can be played offline, since the console itself is "verification" that the purchase is legit. The Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4 all have purchases tied to both an account and the hardware itself to allow this. It's perfectly standard and the way things SHOULD be done.

You know, I never actually thought about it that way. I think of all the times I didn't have access to DLC because my Internet was on the fritz. I would actually prefer my account be tied to hardware. :)

Some people were wondering if this WiiU to WiiU transfer includes save data. I received a notification on the WiiU about the latest update and it said, "You can transfer save data for Wii U software, Mii characters, user settings, and more."

So it looks like save data does transfer from the source to the target WiiU. Not sure what would happen if you had save data for the source WiiU on a USB drive though.

0qs0vuU.gif

M3d10n

I guess the only other way to lower the price would be to redesign the gamepad. Here's the thing, I'm not suggesting that Nintendo phase out gamepad included skus, a separate sku without the gamepad could definitely work.

While the GamePad is certainly more expensive than a controller, I don't think it's that much expensive. You people make it sound like it costs $90 or something, when in reality the hardware inside it is extremely low-end. I wouldn't even classify it as a tablet: the specs are most likely closer to those of a generic "MP4 player" with wifi and motion sensors.

Some people were wondering if this WiiU to WiiU transfer includes save data. I received a notification on the WiiU about the latest update and it said, "You can transfer save data for Wii U software, Mii characters, user settings, and more."

So it looks like save data does transfer from the source to the target WiiU. Not sure what would happen if you had save data for the source WiiU on a USB drive though.

It works just like the 3DS transfer: USB media formatted by the source system will be usable on the target system.

How is the Pro Controller more intimidating than the GamePad?

They're both equally intimidating controllers to non-young male/Nintendo fan consumers.
:p
They should have just made a supped up Wiimote (I wish for this everyday) or a near-buttonless tablet (*ducks behind cover*)

Edit: I imagine if they did make a WiiU-lite, they'd basically make a smaller less intimidating version of the "vanilla" gamepad.

I wouldn't get too optimistic for a Gamepadless SKU at $199 this holiday. It isn't so much that I don't see Nintendo taking an L on the Gamepad to salvage Wii U sales, as after the 2DS anything goes really.

I just really doubt they'd sell it for less than $249.

Regiruler

I'm still not seeing much of an option for someone who wants to transfer partial save data and 1 NNID from one console to a new one.

I could hijack everything and hope they don't notice (lol), but I really don't want to go through 100+ hours of W101 just to get to where I was...

Terrell

also how come my WiiU has not done an auto-update?

why did I have to do it myself?

am I mistaken I thought it was a new feature

I think system updates are done in the evening in standby mode, or done at such a speed that it doesn't siphon your bandwidth. So you might have started up your Wii U while it was in the middle of downloading the update and stopped itself.

Withouth thinking too much:

-Full Wii Remote support for the browser.

- N64/GC/DS/3DS VC games.

-SD card support for data and game downloads.

-Folders.

And my wish a GC/Wii emulator that supports at least 720P resolution XD

I just assumed the browser worked like the Wii one. Goes to show how much I use it. SD card support is definitely an oversight. I guess I'd put the VC stuff under "content" rather than "features" but fair enough. That said, 3DS VC probably ain't happening and the same goes for the emulator.

Folders, cross-game voice chat, voice messages, local media playback, DLNA, an achievement system, etc.!

I doubt Nintendo will bother with any of the multimedia features. I mean, they even removed MP3 support from the Wii to save on the license. That's how unimportant they deem it. I wonder about the voice chat though. From what I've read, it's set up in such a stupid way (only through the Gamepad) that I'm not even sure if it'd be worth it without changing the output.

Merging the "Wii U menu" and "home menu" into one. Right now it's stupid to have quit a game and load the Wii U menu (which is a "game") to select a different game. You can even open the home menu on top of the Wii U menu!

There's one whole goddamn gigabyte of RAM reserved for OS use, if the 3DS can do it with less than 64MBs, Nintendo needs to spank their Wii U OS programmers harder to get it done.

Yeah, I guess I can see this. It should be possible to add buttons for the manual and controller options to the Wii U menu. I guess another reason to keep the current set-up is that it's a quck way to show the battery status on all linked devices. These would definitely clutter up the Wii U menu if they merged them.

ozfunghi

Unrelated to the update, but a question concerning the OS nevertheless: you can "transfer" your game data (downloads + saves) from HDD to internal flash, or you can "copy" it. If it is copied, and on both your USB HDD and the internal flash memory... which savefiles will be overwritten when you save a game? The internal data or on the USB drive, or both?

Wii hacking isn't what cut out SD Card suppourt, I think it was just because it needs to be used by the Wii and thus you couldn't share an SD card between the Wii and Wii U menus. (Since the Wii U has it's own file system in comparison to the Wii's FAT32 or whatever support.) However, save files being locked are quite clearly related to the hacking stuff.
Nintendo removed using external files altogether because of the exploits. And I guess they don't support SD cards for games because they usually have piss poor specs.

What really baffles me is why did they include the SD card slot in the first place. They could have implemented system transfer using just Wifi or USB sticks if they wanted to.

Yagami_Sama

The fist thing I though when I read about the transfer between Wii U systems, was that, maybe a new model will be released soon.
Maybe with more storage.

It works just like the 3DS transfer: USB media formatted by the source system will be usable on the target system.
That is what I thought too but I didn't want to assume it worked the same way. Is this written somewhere or has someone tested it out? It would be good to get confirmation that the source WiiU USB drives work on the target console without issues, though yes you're probably right that it works.

EDIT: looking here: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9159/p/431
They do mention using the source USB device on the target WiiU so it looks like there shouldn't be a problem.

Cbajd5

Nintendo removed using external files altogether because of the exploits. And I guess they don't support SD cards for games because they usually have piss poor specs.

What really baffles me is why did they include the SD card slot in the first place. They could have implemented system transfer using just Wifi or USB sticks if they wanted to.

For Wii Mode compatibility. Which is why I doubt they'd let the Wii U menu use it, because you wouldn't be able to use the same SD card for Wii Mode and Wii U games. Although I'm curious to what the System Transfer does with the SD card in terms of formatting it.

ooh they added pictures

Canon

Banned
I was literally just thinking the other day that they should release an update for the eShop and Internet Browser to let you use other controllers (aka the Wii Remote).

Now they just need to let you be able to use the wii remote to type in addresses on the internet browser.

No proper account system yet, sigh. Having to call Nintendo is such bullshit to people who don't even have a Nintendo Call Center available.

phanphare

Banned
For Wii Mode compatibility. Which is why I doubt they'd let the Wii U menu use it, because you wouldn't be able to use the same SD card for Wii Mode and Wii U games. Although I'm curious to what the System Transfer does with the SD card in terms of formatting it.

ooh they added pictures

the fuck?

Align the Wii U GamePads:

1. Face the Wii U GamePads toward one another at a distance of around 2 inches apart.
2. Align the arrows on both screens so that they point towards one another.

ss-gp-wiiu-alignarrowsfortransfer-lg-700x394.png

ooh they added pictures

Why shouldn't it allow you to share an SD card between Wii U and Wii modes?

Also, why is the SD port required for Wii mode compatibility? I mean, they even removed it from the Wii Mini!.

If it's like the 3DS, the automatic updates are rolled later as to not hammer the servers.

I think system updates are done in the evening in standby mode, or done at such a speed that it doesn't siphon your bandwidth. So you might have started up your Wii U while it was in the middle of downloading the update and stopped itself.

so it is a thing? if I left the WiiU alone it would have updated eventually ?

Nesther

No proper account system yet, sigh. Having to call Nintendo is such bullshit to people who don't even have a Nintendo Call Center available.

I'm pretty sure we gotta wait for the next handheld/main console for real accounts to be introduced. I remember Iwata hinting at that in an interview.

I'm pretty sure we gotta wait for the next handheld/main console for real accounts to be introduced. I remember Iwata hinting at that in an interview.

For the 3DS yes, they told that. But for the Wii U I thought that it could be different. IIRC the Wii U is the base for the future architecture, but my memory is hazy.

Cbajd5

Why shouldn't it allow you to share an SD card between Wii U and Wii modes?

Also, why is the SD port required for Wii mode compatibility? I mean, they even removed it from the Wii Mini!.

Because USB drives formatted for Wii U use use a proprietary file system while Wii Mode uses the same method of storage for Wii stuff, FAT32 or whatever. Wii Mode needs it because Wii Mode can download WiiWare and stuff, which is normally stored on the SD Card. (Because Wii flash storage is limited to 512 MB.)

M3d10n

Yeah, I guess I can see this. It should be possible to add buttons for the manual and controller options to the Wii U menu. I guess another reason to keep the current set-up is that it's a quck way to show the battery status on all linked devices. These would definitely clutter up the Wii U menu if they merged them.

You have a point about it possibly getting too cluttered, but they could always move a bunch of functions into a small "settings" icon, like they did with the wifi on/off icon on the 2DS.

They could also simply make the Wii U menu work using the OS-reserved RAM, so it wouldn't quit the current game and you could freely alternate between it and the home menu.

Hnnggh, cool! Downloading update right now. Very interesting about that feature to transfer stuff from Wii U to Wii U. Console revision incoming?? U Wii XL.

Why not?

Nintendo should redesign the console form itself and name it "Wii Ultimate" that way they can still make the case for those who keep the original version and calling it "Wii U" for short.

M3d10n

so it is a thing? if I left the WiiU alone it would have updated eventually ?

Yes. When the red light turns orange, the Wii U looks for both firmware and title updates online, starts downloading them if it finds any and shuts down on its own when done. Mine downloaded the Wii Sports Club demo this way.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
What are the steps if I have to sell my Wii U now and wait to buy another later on?

Unlinking then calling a Nintendo rep?

Where in the UI do you unlink?

Vibranium

Banned

I'm now thinking that we may have to wait until the the next consoles (which will share architecture as well) for unified accounts across the web and Nintendo platforms. I still have hope that Nintendo finds a way for the 3DS and Wii U though.

Nesther

Why not?

Nintendo should redesign the console form itself and name it "Wii Ultimate" that way they can still make the case for those who keep the original version and calling it "Wii U" for short.

But what would they add? I really can't think of anything, unlike the 3DS which could profit from a 2nd analog nub.

Maybe a Wii U with an integrated HDD? Dropping the Gamepad and replacing it with the Pro controller?

You know, I never actually thought about it that way. I think of all the times I didn't have access to DLC because my Internet was on the fritz. I would actually prefer my account be tied to hardware. :)

Hm? I mean, I can't speak for you obviously. But there are quite literally no benefits to a hardware-locked account versus the standard system everyone else uses.

No platform should be giving you trouble with DLC while offline

Top Bottom