• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife91

project_cars_wii_u_details.jpg

Place your palm on the screen to honk the horn. REVOLUTIONARY

Discomurf

Hey all,

Remember Craig Harris that worked for IGN? Well he works for SEGA now and is involved with Aliens: Colonial Marines and just had this to say about the Wii U...

“Nintendo… has to release hardware that’s of the expectations of the gamer today.” Craig also mentions, “… I don’t think we would be bringing the game to a system that would be inferior to current gen. (HD) systems.”

Source: The Mush Room Podcast

The quote comes in around the 41 mintute mark, but the whole Nintendo conversation is pretty good.

Congratulations! You have just totally replaced IdeaMan as the darling of the Wii U Speculation Thread Empire by telling its inhabitants what they most want to hear! :D

Yeah, seems strange. Maybe their sources are smaller/ less important studios and really won't get the newer pads for a while. The latest pad (product id DK-DEV-V5) is wireless. Also looks like Nintendo uses Ni-Fi for the controller now (2.4 or 5GHz), so range shouldn't be limited to a single room - possibly not even just a single floor.

Wait, I changed my mind. wsippel's my new object of worship. The potential to play in the bathroom (likely in my house) or in my backyard (unlikely with prior rumours, now much more likely) is a very, very, extremely cool feature.

Dear diary,

Today rocked.

Here's your hype for the day: Maybe every day until E3 will be like this. ;)

DrWong

Remember Craig Harris that worked for IGN? Well he works for SEGA now and is involved with Aliens: Colonial Marines and just had this to say about the Wii U...

“Nintendo… has to release hardware that’s of the expectations of the gamer today.” Craig also mentions, “… I don’t think we would be bringing the game to a system that would be inferior to current gen. (HD) systems.”

The quote comes in around the 41 mintute mark, but the whole conversation is pretty good.
[joke]Thread?[/joke]

wsippel

Banned
For the bold part, interesting, i hope it will be the case once in real environment conditions.
And while you are here, do you think it's possible there could be conflicts because of frequencies, range, bandwidth and more generally the streaming tech used, that could make the support of many padlets difficult ? I'm trying to find a technical reason why Nintendo seems to struggle to allow the use of more than X padlet(s), and i'm sure it's not a problem of hardware calculations/rendering capabilities. Or perhaps it could even be a marketing decision, but it would be weird.
I think the pad probably uses a 5GHz connection to eliminate conflicts with 802.11b/g devices, Bluetooth, microwave ovens and other 2.4GHz devices. If there are technical reasons for the limitation, those would be most likely related to the video encoder and audio DSP, not the connection.

Hey all,

The quote comes in around the 41 mintute mark, but the whole Nintendo conversation is pretty good.

Well, thank you Craig.

Also looks like Nintendo uses Ni-Fi for the controller now (2.4 or 5GHz),

By the way, by "Ni-Fi" did you mean 802.11n? That was my second assumption after wondering if it was some sort of proprietary Nintendo protocol based on Wi-fi, but I'm wondering now all the same.

So are they saying that the only control method is through motion, or can you use the buttons/slide pads as well?

Currently, they haven't said anything officially, so we don't know. I'm going to personally guess that there'll be an option for the analog directionals, but they may really like just using the accels/gyros on account of how similar the form factor of the controller is to a steering wheel for a race car.

Anth0ny

Yeah, seems strange. Maybe their sources are smaller/ less important studios and really won't get the newer pads for a while. The latest pad (product id DK-DEV-V5) is wireless. Also looks like Nintendo uses Ni-Fi for the controller now (2.4 or 5GHz), so range shouldn't be limited to a single room - possibly not even just a single floor.

mMWTo.gif

Smellycat

Hopefully we won't be getting any more leaks, especially 1st party games. I want all new info at E3. I am really looking forward to this year's E3.

This was the perfect leak (although a little early) and I think it is enough until E3. The trailer didn't really show anything new, it basically showed what we already knew about the Wii-U but this time in an actual game. And it makes you think about other different uses for the Wii-U.

If another leak happens, I will probably stay away from gaming websites until E3.

Shurayuki

By the way, by "Ni-Fi" did you mean 802.11n? That was my second assumption after wondering if it was some sort of proprietary Nintendo protocol based on Wi-fi, but I'm wondering now all the same.

Until wsippel responds I can only come up with this
NiFi is the name given to Nintendo's tweaked form of WiFi which is used for all local communications between either multiple DSes or one+ DS and a wii. Most wireless APs will not pick it up and the few that do require hacked drivers.

Nintendo’s proprietary NiFi 802.11b-based Layer 3 protocol supports closeproximity
player-to-player communication

japtor

nah CAPCOM has new IPs every ten on Nintendo platforms they send to die without sequels best best is a new IP like Zack and Wiki

would you not want to see dat ass in HD P.N.04
It looks glorious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLrGj-KrL_0
Yes, but less in a VC way and more of a "download like New Super Mario Bros 2" way ie high prices. And probably few and far between :-/
Yeah I suspect Wii stuff (if on there) would be like $20 greatest hits type things.
All those uses are too obvious! Where's the rally track instructions for a crazy co-driver to read out! (whether local or online)
It looks insane on the PC, I wonder how a Wii U version will hold up to that. Hopefully not a butchered port.
Well there's this:

tuEvO.jpg

...not that it's saying much considering how much an engine could likely scale up and down, but at least it's the same engine, which hopefully is a (slightly more confirmed) sign that the system should be ok with cross platform stuff as far as capability and ease of porting.
No problem. Mind, the CARS leak looks legit enough, but it's definitely not as certain as something like the Rayman trailer. Always remember DefensiveReject-gate.
Well it's from the PDF posted earlier: http://www.wmdportal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/WMD_Overview_160212.pdf
(wmdportal being the Project CARS site)

BurntPork

Banned
Hey all,

Let's see if that convinces the haters.

Probably not.

Thread worthy?

Yeah, I've never heard of this Ni-fi, nor can I find any web page mentioning anything about that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hopefully we won't be getting any more leaks, especially 1st party games. I want all new info at E3.

This was the perfect leak (although a little early) and I think it is enough until E3. The trailer didn't really show anything new, it basically showed what we already knew about the Wii-U but this time in an actual game.

If anything, it reconfirmed that the touchscreen on the controller looks SHARP AS HELL.

EDIT: Pork, DON'T! Down, boy! No thread for you!

Shurayuki

Yeah, I've never heard of this Ni-fi, nor can I find any web page mentioning anything about that.

I shall be forever ignored :(

Until wsippel responds I can only come up with this
NiFi is the name given to Nintendo's tweaked form of WiFi which is used for all local communications between either multiple DSes or one+ DS and a wii. Most wireless APs will not pick it up and the few that do require hacked drivers.

Nintendo’s proprietary NiFi 802.11b-based Layer 3 protocol supports closeproximity
player-to-player communication
^
this is old stuff referring to ds and wii communications

Smellycat

If anything, it reconfirmed that the touchscreen on the controller looks SHARP AS HELL.

EDIT: Pork, DON'T! Down, boy! No thread for you!

Yeah, I never really doubted the quality of the screen. I wonder if the revised controller will have a bigger/smaller screen. Or if the controller is made a little more compact in order for it to be more portable.

antonz

Yeah, I never really doubted the quality of the screen. I wonder if the revised controller will have a bigger/smaller screen. Or if the controller is made a little more compact in order for it to be more portable.

Earning report from other day reconfirmed 6.2" screen

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I think the pad probably uses a 5GHz connection to eliminate conflicts with 802.11b/g devices, Bluetooth, microwave ovens and other 2.4GHz devices. If there are technical reasons for the limitation, those would be most likely related to the video encoder and audio DSP, not the connection.

For the audio DSP, they could get around this by playing with the sound distribution between the TV and the DRC(s), with let's say the music on the TV, and just a few sounds on the padlet to limit the draw from this component.

It could be the video encoder then. But even if it's the case, let's say for a multiplayer FPS, you use the main screen for a simple ranking board, and render 4 480p or even sub480p (but upscaled) not too intricate 3D content on the padlets, like a 4 players spit-screen mode but dispatched on 4 padlets rather than displayed on the TV. The system is clearly capable of generating that. And the video encoder work depend on the quantity of data to handle. In this situation, it would be rather limited, so why the encoder would forbid that ? Current soft/algorithms that may be used by Nintendo have so much difficulty to manage the encoding/compressing/capturing/converting/whatever operations to multiple receivers ? Maybe Nintendo forces a security thing on the transmission that constitute an hindrance for the support of many padlets ?

An interesting topic.

Discomurf

Probably not.

Thread worthy?

Maybe.... I almost don't want to get him into trouble... :) he has a lot of suggestive comments throughout the podcast, including talking about streaming 60 FPS to the Wii U pad towards the end... which to me suggests Aliens: Colonial Marines could be running at 60FPS on Wii U. Has a frames per second for the PS360 versions been mentioned before by Gearbox?

test_account

XP-39C²

Probably not.

Thread worthy?
In that quote, what was said still leaves the "on par with PS3/Xbox 360" point up for interpretation. Not saying that it is, but it could be used as an counter arguement (and it probably would if there was a thread about it).

wsippel

Banned
I can't even find Ni-Fi on wiki what the hell is it and what is the range?
"Ni-Fi" is just what the homebrew community calls Nintendos proprietary wireless protocol. Nintendo uses standard 802.11b/g WLAN adapters, but for communication between Nintendo devices, they use a custom transport protocol. That custom protocol requires special firmware on the WLAN adapters, which is why there are no tunnels like Xlink for Nintendo handhelds (someone was working on something years ago, and even got somewhere, but it required a specific WLAN adapter and was never finished). Ni-Fi has a lower latency compared to standard WLAN protocols, which makes it ideal for local multiplayer - or the Wii U pad.

BurntPork

Banned
Is Specialguy here?

No, but we can wait. I'm curious as to how he'll discredit it, though. Hopefully he would just take the high road and say that it's at least on-par, but knowing him...

I do have to admit that it's ridiculous and sad that we need proof that it's not weaker than current-gen. >_>;

In that quote, what was said still leaves the "on par with PS3/Xbox 360" point up for interpretation. Not saying that it is, but it could be used as an counter arguement (and it probably would if there was a thread about it).

I know, but it's better than the "weaker than current gen" idiocy. On-par is subjective, so to some people it'll be considered on par either way.

Hey all,

One would hope so.

Rub in someone's face worthy?

Not sure the Wii U not being less powerful than this gen consoles is something to rub in someone's face.

ASIS

At the very least, it confirms that "on par" doesn't mean "inferior in someways, superior in others, giving an average of about the same power", it just leaves the speculation of "how much more powerful is it than the current generation?"

wsippel

Banned
For the audio DSP, they could get around this by playing with the sound distribution between the TV and the DRC(s), with let's say the music on the TV, and just a few sounds on the padlet to limit the draw from this component.

It could be the video encoder then. But even if it's the case, let's say for a multiplayer FPS, you use the main screen for a simple ranking board, and render 4 480p or even sub480p (but upscaled) not too intricate 3D content on the padlets, like a 4 players spit-screen mode but dispatched on 4 padlets rather than displayed on the TV. The system is clearly capable of generating that. And the video encoder work depend on the quantity of data to handle. In this situation, it would be very limited, so why the encoder would forbid that ? Current soft/algorithms that may be used by Nintendo have so much difficulty to manage the encoding/compressing/capturing/converting/whatever operations to multiple receivers ?

An interesting topic.
Audio DSPs typically have a fixed number of output channels, and the Wii U DSP supposedly supports eight channels: Six channels over HDMI, one stereo pair for a single pad. In a similar fashion, a dedicated video encoder is limited to a number of streams. Supporting four pads would require four encoders. Three of which would do fuck all most of the time. Waste of silicon and money.

I've been out of the loop on the Wii U. Is it still slated to support just the 1 screen/controller?

They have not said anything further on the matter yet.

Don't forget the lack of analog trigger buttons on the back of the controller, making all racing games infuriating. Acceleration/braking will either be on/off, you won't be able to control it by how far the button is pressed down.

Perhaps the analog directionals could be used for this, or would that be too annoying?

hatchx

Banned
Don't forget the lack of analog trigger buttons on the back of the controller, making all racing games infuriating. Acceleration/braking will either be on/off, you won't be able to control it by how far the button is pressed down.

We don't know the final controller designs.

test_account

XP-39C²
I know, but it's better than the "weaker than current gen" idiocy. On-par is subjective, so to some people it'll be considered on par either way.
At the very least, it confirms that "on par" doesn't mean "inferior in someways, superior in others, giving an average of about the same power", it just leaves the speculation of "how much more powerful is it than the current generation?"
That is true =)

It is more of a question if Hironobu Takeshita has enough power within Capcom to get funding for another Zack & Wiki game. But at least it shows that he is up for the task =)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Audio DSPs typically have a fixed number of output channels, and the Wii U DSP supposedly supports eight channels: Six channels over HDMI, one stereo pair for a single pad. In a similar fashion, a dedicated video encoder is limited to a number of streams. Supporting four pads would require four encoders. Three of which would do fuck all most of the time. Waste of silicon and money.

Yeah but then one of the CPU core could handle additional channels isn't it ? And for a lot of games, it won't be that dramatic to have mono on the DRC, the main part of the sounds would come from the TV. It seems there are some ways to sidestep such limits if you want it, and it doesn't appear to be the case until at least now :(

For the video encoder, it's a valid point for the additional ones that would be useless most of the time, but is it so expansive in size and cost ? And Nintendo could have designed a specific one with an increased number of streams supported also (well, it could be the case).

EloquentM

aka Mannny
lol is anyone paying attention to the things wsippel is saying right now? it sounds like it'd be a waste of money to support multiple pads.

markao

Ok, too much news & hype right now to not miss things here & there. So sorry if known...

First Project Cars Wii U details

One of the SMS devs posted a question (see image) on their forum, in January, to the community, to see if they could come up with some nice ideas for the use of the new controller. The functions listed there, were given as examples of what they came up with. Since then, I have not seen anything mentioned regarding the WiiU or controller, so I doubt it's real ;)

pcars_wiiu_postxfuto.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom