• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
Don't know if it's been discussed yet, but in the rayman Legends (lol) leak they had this thing about "social gaming." Wasn't social gaming discussed by Nintendo... or was it someone else?

The social gaming thing looked weird.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Don't know if it's been discussed yet, but in the rayman Legends (lol) leak they had this thing about "social gaming." Wasn't social gaming discussed by Nintendo... or was it someone else?

The social gaming thing looked weird.

It was definitely discussed by them I'm surprised nobody has bought it up yet actually.

botty

Banned
Oh... like SSX's multiplayer?

tumblr_llhpu4YUxf1qdgr15.gif

wsippel

Banned
Yeah but then one of the CPU core could handle additional channels isn't it ? And for a lot of games, it won't be that dramatic to have mono on the DRC, the main part of the sounds would come from the TV. It seems there are some ways to sidestep such limits if you want it, and it doesn't appear to be the case until at least now :(
It's really not that simple. There's probably a piece of logic that takes one 854x480 video stream and two audio channels, encodes everything and gives it to the wireless adapter. I don't think that encoder has any direct connection to the CPU, so it wouldn't be possible to feed it with additional data in the first place. If Nintendo wants to support two or more pads, they'd need two or more encoders, and a DSP outputting one stereo pair per encoder (or switch to mono if there's more than one pad, but as soon as they'd exceed two pads, the other pads would be either silent or Nintendo would need a different DSP). It would increase the complexity quite a bit, and would be very rarely used. Maybe they'll add a second one, but I certainly wouldn't expect four encoders.

HylianTom

Banned
So... the machine I pilot at work goes down, I spend the afternoon on my bike, and now I come back to find that I might be getting my wish to play the U on my back porch?!

This is a damn good day. :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Audio DSPs typically have a fixed number of output channels, and the Wii U DSP supposedly supports eight channels: Six channels over HDMI, one stereo pair for a single pad. In a similar fashion, a dedicated video encoder is limited to a number of streams. Supporting four pads would require four encoders. Three of which would do fuck all most of the time. Waste of silicon and money.
Wouldnt it be possible to use the main viode encoder to a 2nd (or more controller instead)? So instead of having a picture on the TV and the controller at the same time, you just have picture on the controllers instead.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The term social gaming is kind of strange. Would anti social gaming be where you go out of your way to be a right bastard to everyone? What's the difference between multiplayer and social gaming? The Rayman trailer seems to consider them to be different entities.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Well only need two (only one play caller per side), and both views would be used in single player anyways so multi pad use shouldn't be much extra work.

(...barring what was just posted above)

I know (I actually just described that idea myself with my roomate) but I wasn't serious.

The term social gaming is kind of strange. Would anti social gaming be where you go out of your way to be a right bastard to everyone? What's the difference between multiplayer and social gaming? The Rayman trailer seems to consider them to be different entities.

Social gaming is community play.
Multiplayer is more competitive play.

What are the faults of the Wind Waker that people commonly complain about? I suppose they could speed up the boat a bit and lower Tingle's rates, but removing the Triforce hunt would be cutting out content.
If I were put in charge of development for a very short time to improve something, it would be to have earnable boat speed upgrades, and a one-button method for changing wind direction rather than needing to stop and wave a combination each time.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
E3 is just going to be so insane. So much excitement for a single leak today. Damn. E3 is gonna be overload.

BurntPork

Banned
Audio DSPs typically have a fixed number of output channels, and the Wii U DSP supposedly supports eight channels: Six channels over HDMI, one stereo pair for a single pad. In a similar fashion, a dedicated video encoder is limited to a number of streams. Supporting four pads would require four encoders. Three of which would do fuck all most of the time. Waste of silicon and money.

So, there's definitely only one controller, huh? That really sucks. :/

Sagitario

I'm just posting like I see it. I've been following the threads since the very first Wii-U speculation thread so I've seen the majority of your posts already and to be honest you haven't given us any concrete or substantial information (IMO) worth noting. Nothing worth all the teasing and constant reminder of all the "sources" you have either.

It isn't like distrust his info, I believe him, but his posting style and teasing just reek of attention seeking and that's the annoying part.

Yeah, seems strange. Maybe their sources are smaller/ less important studios and really won't get the newer pads for a while. The latest pad (product id DK-DEV-V5) is wireless. Also looks like Nintendo uses Ni-Fi for the controller now (2.4 or 5GHz), so range shouldn't be limited to a single room - possibly not even just a single floor.

Most excellent!

me too to tell the truth I kinda stop caring about it..I mean it would be cool to have 1 extra pad yeah but thats also an extra idk..probably 70-80 dollars.

the fact that I never have anyone around to play a game with anymore since I am not a college kid or have family around... never going to be any use to me I thought it would be good for sales though

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
It wasn't posted here and i think it's an interesting part about the digital distribution strategy & philosophy of Nintendo, explained by Iwata during the Financial Results briefing. Basically, he is stating that there's a problem of lack of exposure of the software sold digitally. And this is clearly linked with the Wii U NFC feature. It's a way to introduce, for example, mums that aren't aware of the eShop or the NiN, to digital distribution, because they will see the downloadable product physically (through toys, cards, etc.) in the stores that they usually visit.

It seems that, in general, digital distribution of the software available today is mainly aiming at no involvement from retailers. On the contrary, Nintendo has decided to choose an approach in which we will ask our retailers to be proactively involved.

Of course, for all the digital download software, we ultimately need our consumers to download them to their Nintendo 3DS system through the Nintendo eShop. However, when it comes to how our consumers choose the candidates and make the final purchase decision, as well as how they pay for the software, we are going to enable consumers to go through these processes at both retailers and the Nintendo eShop.

Our consumers can visit retail outlets or the retailers’ online shopping sites, look for products of interest, make a purchase decision and actually pay for the product there. The retailers then can issue the 16-digit software exchange code. As you can see on the screen now, consumers can enter the 16-digit code at the Nintendo eShop to download the software.

Some may wonder why we are adding this kind of process, as it may seem more complicated. However, for the majority of our consumers, this is a familiar process as they are already accustomed to making payments at the retail outlets, and it can lower their psychological barrier to making online purchases. Some consumers are hesitant in purchasing digital download software because they are concerned about inputting their credit card numbers. Also, payments by credit cards or cell phones are unavailable to some people under a certain age. Accordingly, offering a familiar payment method should lower the hurdle for our consumers to purchase digital download software.

Furthermore, we recognize that one of the biggest hurdles for the expansion of our digital business is the limited methods to expose digitally downloadable products to potential consumers. This recognition is one of the reasons why we are taking this sort of approach.

As I just said, the net connection ratio of Nintendo 3DS has grown significantly higher than that for other Nintendo handheld systems. The ratio of Nintendo 3DS owners who have visited the Nintendo eShop, as well as their visit frequencies, has also risen far above the level achieved by the Wii and the Nintendo DSi.
Naturally, consumers can digitally buy packaged software at the Nintendo eShop. However, if only the consumers who proactively visit the Nintendo eShop are aware of the digital download software that we deploy, there is no chance that our digital business can drastically expand.

Nintendo’s basic strategy is to expand the gaming population. We would like as many people as possible, regardless of age, gender and game play experience, to have access to our product messages.

From that perspective, for our digital business to grow drastically, it is imperative for us to expand the exposure of the digital download products to potential consumers.

I just wanna watch my friends play games on the tablet. I'd love to fall asleep to that. And having the controller operate a sizeable distance away from the system is boss. I'm all about gaming on the shitter...*thinks about advance wars and pokemon*

Edit: How is the controller powered? That has to put a strain on the battery life.

Come to think of it, I find it interesting that every Wii-U controller will have a camera in it. How do you think devs will use that?

A) as suggested by IdeaMan and others, dynamically switching render resources to the DRC if you're looking at it, and to the TV otherwise.

B) in horror games, put the inventory, et al, selection on the DRC, but don't pause the game. When you look down, and the camera detects this, increase the chances of scary monsters coming into view on the TV.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
It's really not that simple. There's probably a piece of logic that takes one 854x480 video stream and two audio channels, encodes everything and gives it to the wireless adapter. I don't think that encoder has any direct connection to the CPU, so it wouldn't be possible to feed it with additional data in the first place. If Nintendo wants to support two or more pads, they'd need two or more encoders, and a DSP outputting one stereo pair per encoder (or switch to mono if there's more than one pad, but as soon as they'd exceed two pads, the other pads would be either silent or Nintendo would need a different DSP). It would increase the complexity quite a bit, and would be very rarely used. Maybe they'll add a second one, but I certainly wouldn't expect four encoders.

I see, but with the expected components involved in the streaming process to the DRC, even one "classical" video encoder/dsp with the anticipated number of channels/streams supported could allow the use of 2 DRC, with a bit of stretching and asymmetrical allocating of sounds here and there. Let's hope the future dev kits will see a change for the better in this department (more to come about the DRC situation later, this is why i'm asking you these questions, to understand the info i've got that some have guessed here and there).

I just wanna watch my friends play games on the tablet. I'd love to fall asleep to that. And having the controller operate a sizeable distance away from the system is boss. I'm all about gaming on the shitter...*thinks about advance wars and pokemon*

Edit: How is the controller powered? That has to put a strain on the battery life.

It would have a fairly large battery in it, considering its size.

I don't think there is one
wii-u-ports.jpg

there is a mic though

nintendo-wiiu_controller_official.jpg

There's also a headphone jack, which likely supports a headset.

guek

Banned
Ya know, I have zero interest in simulation racing games, but a neat co-op mode in Cars would be to give the secondary player the upad, have the driver use a CCPro or wiimote (or a 2nd pad if that's possible) and have the second player act as pit crew. Gimmicky? Fo sho, but some people might like it.

DrWong

Maybe.... I almost don't want to get him into trouble... :) he has a lot of suggestive comments throughout the podcast, including talking about streaming 60 FPS to the Wii U pad towards the end... which to me suggests Aliens: Colonial Marines could be running at 60FPS on Wii U. Has a frames per second for the PS360 versions been mentioned before by Gearbox?
Interesting. Thanks.

It wasn't posted here and i think it's an interesting part about the digital distribution strategy & philosophy of Nintendo, explained by Iwata during the Financial Results briefing. Basically, he is stating that there's a problem of lack of exposure of the software sold digitally. And this is clearly linked with the Wii U NFC feature. It's a way to introduce, for example, mums that aren't aware of the eShop or the NiN, to digital distribution, because they will see the downloadable product physically (through toys, cards, etc.) in the stores that they usually visit.

Iwata laugh said:
Iwata plan to rule the digital world.
"Diabolique".

Jindujun

Neo Member
On the NFC and figurines that will inevitably plague the Wii U

I know that I'm basically paying for overpriced DLC that happen to be sold as physical objects, but it does kinda speak to my materialistic desires and means DLC that you actually own and can sell/buy secondhand to others.

I must say that I much prefer that to be the standard than just stuff you pay for and download online - that is then linked to your account and cannot be sold or returned in any way. Also, figurines and physical objects are more likely to go on sales as stores clear their inventories (no such thing with DLC from the console giants).

Just imagine... Lego City Stories content available in physical form with a chip in them so that you can bring the physical creation to the game.
I'd buy the hell out of that...

BlackJace

Wow. Rayman Legends seems like the perfect game for the Wii U. The exclusive features they've thrown in actually seem useful.

Part of me wishes a slow trickle of leaks like this will come as we get closer to E3. I still want to be surprised, though.

HylianTom

Banned
I just wanna watch my friends play games on the tablet. I'd love to fall asleep to that.

This is something I'm rooting for. Being able to go onto a channel, find my friend playing, select the "Tune In Live" option, and then prop the uPad up next to bed would be really sweet.

The last game I loved watching "Let's Play" vids was Civ 5, as there were so many options for the player to choose, and the games would get absolutely crazy. Maybe falling asleep would get more difficult instead of easier with this option? Goodness knows I already have a sleep problem..

bomma_man

I was thinking... Given Nintendo's anti hype philosophy when it comes game reveals these days (in the sense that the gap between announcement and release is very small) how likely is it that we'll only see launch window games at e3? I know we saw Kid Icarus at the 3DS's unveiling but that was never intended to take so long.

HylianTom

Banned

Totally happy that we get a headphone jack also. Looks like my big Senns will get some non-musical uses as well.

Nintendo would do well to advertise this as two-systems-in-one! I mean, you get a home console and a portable system to play around the house? That's some hybrid transitional blurring-the-lines stuff if I've ever seen it! From seeing the stats about most people playing their portable gaming machines at home, this could end-up rivaling the 3DS and Vita for that gaming space. Imagine Nintendo releasing an entire line of games - both retail and digital download - that are meant to be uPad-only. If Nintendo emphasizes this aspect in its marketing, it could very well have an absolute sales monster on its hands.

Whoa.. and is that a stylus above the guy's left index finger
, or is the controller just happy to see me
?

Hey uPad baby.. what you doin' tonight? ;)

Bigger version of the Project Cars image.

scaled.php

Its been a Wii U news day. Lovely.

I'm very excited and encouraged regarding the text in the PDF which specifically says you can stream the game to the UPad for playing the game "on the go around the house." That a graphically intense game like that can be streamed a decent distance away from the system/TV is impressive.

edit: I'm six pages behind since getting off work (mobile GAF is the only thing that keeps me sane), dang.

HylianTom

Banned
lol hi site who must not be named.

Respekt to RMC! You guys are a daily stop for all things Ninty. No one aggregates the N-News better!
(say hi to MomBrain for me!)

Also im 27 and a bit of a nintendo fan:
WP_000183.jpg
Sweetness!

I have an idea for my Nintendo Room: mount two NES Zappers on green felt plaques, like dueling pistols. Place on wall. Very classy, eh?
A year or two from now when it's all built and done, I'll have to post pics. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom