• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Any particular reason why?
I'm guessing that being able to access it quickly with one's dominant hand might come in handy in certain situations..

RMC is a pretty cool guy. eh grows beards and doesn't afraid of anything.
He definitely does counteract the whole "wimpy immature Nintendo fan" stereotype. Dude's a badass, and from looks alone, I wouldn't want to run into him in a dark alley, hehe..

ASIS

If I were put in charge of development for a very short time to improve something, it would be to have earnable boat speed upgrades, and a one-button method for changing wind direction rather than needing to stop and wave a combination each time.

no no no! Playing the windwaker is great! The only thing that needs to be changed is, as you said, having to stop every time you want to change the winds. So just allow the player to use the windwaker without withdrawing the sale, that would perfect IMO.

BlackJace

I'm guessing that being able to access it quickly with one's dominant hand might come in handy in certain situations..

I always have a habit of taking my stylus out and putting it near me so I have quick access.

I wonder how different the Wii U stylus is gonna be compared to the DS and 3DS.

guek

Banned
I wonder if RMC is secretly a poster on neogaf under a different name. I mean, half of what he does is scour these boards for tidbits of info anyway. He must read every single post in these speculation threads...

WHICH OF YOU IS IT?

I just noticed it says 'Primary input method is tilting the controller to steer.' Maybe I'm worrying too much but I really hope that doesn't mean traditional controls aren't going to be available.

This is something I'm rooting for. Being able to go onto a channel, find my friend playing, select the "Tune In Live" option, and then prop the uPad up next to bed would be really sweet.

The last game I loved watching "Let's Play" vids was Civ 5, as there were so many options for the player to choose, and the games would get absolutely crazy. Maybe falling asleep would get more difficult instead of easier with this option? Goodness knows I already have a sleep problem..

Did I just read that there might be a boost in range for the DRC? Oh my...Oh my.

Even if it's not a Nintendo feature, here's a possible side-benefit I've given mullage to before: Working with mostly standard Wireless LAN protocols means that it could be possible to set up routers to invisibly make a Wii U at one place think that it's sending to a local DRC that's in another place. This is useless to most people, but I personally find it a fun idea. :)

Smellycat

I still have no idea why the headphone jack is on the top part of the controller.

It makes more sense for it to be on the bottom. I don't want the wire to get in the way, especially if I have to move the controller around. (I am not talking about the wires blocking the screen) I know it might seem a little silly to complain about this, but the DS and the 3DS all had headphone jacks on the bottom too.

Respekt to RMC! You guys are a daily stop for all things Ninty. No one aggregates the N-News better!
(say hi to MomBrain for me!)

Sweetness!

I have an idea for my Nintendo Room: mount two NES Zappers on green felt plaques, like dueling pistols. Place on wall. Very classy, eh?
A year or two from now when it's all built and done, I'll have to post pics. :D

Yesssss.
Second hand shop down the road from has a 5 shelf glass cabinet with lighting $499 :( drool.jpg

I just noticed it says 'Primary input method is tilting the controller to steer.' Maybe I'm worrying too much but I really hope that doesn't mean traditional controls aren't going to available.

Tilt-based racer controls are only one year less traditional than stick-based racer controls.

…as in, one is thirty-nine years old, while the other is thirty-eight years old.

HylianTom

Banned
I wonder if RMC is secretly a poster on neogaf under a different name. I mean, half of what he does is scour these boards for tidbits of info anyway. He must read every single post in these speculation threads...

WHICH OF YOU IS IT?
I have been known to submit news items once or twice a year to his site. But I know he has his normal RawMeatCowboy i.d. here. I suspect he doesn't have time to hang out here very long; keeping the site maintained and up-to-date, from what I gather, is pretty time-consuming.

And while I'm on the topic, doing a Nintendo podcast EVERY SINGLE WEEK for seven years running is a very incredible feat. That's a "How to Eat Fried Worms"-level accomplishment.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I still have no idea why the headphone jack is on the top part of the controller.

It makes more sense for it to be on the bottom. I don't want the wire to get in the way, especially if I have to move the controller around. (I am not talking about the wires blocking the screen) I know it might seem a little silly to complain about this, but the DS and the 3DS all had headphone jacks on the bottom too.

not final hardware.

lednerg

The old analog stick version had it on the right side. I think they changed it because you're going to be holding the controller with your left hand when using the stylus. It'll be easier to put the stylus away on the side closer to your hand.

Kjellson

So do you all think that Wii U will get rid of friend codes and have accounts like the other consoles?

Unfortunately, I have a guess what the answer will be... Still worth asking though, lol.

Instro

WHICH OF YOU IS IT?

He's posted on neogaf before, uses the same name.

So do you all think that Wii U will get rid of friend codes and have accounts like the other consoles?

Unfortunately, I have a guess what the answer will be... Still worth asking though, lol.

Account system was confirmed back in january at one of their investor meetings.

Linkhero1

I don't think this will be very popular here, but I used to play YuGiOh and I'd be willing to buy a deck that can be scanned using NFC to activate a card or summon a monster. A YuGiOh game using NFC would be friggin awesome.

Even if it's not a Nintendo feature, here's a possible side-benefit I've given mullage to before: Working with mostly standard Wireless LAN protocols means that it could be possible to set up routers to invisibly make a Wii U at one place think that it's sending to a local DRC that's in another place. This is useless to most people, but I personally find it a fun idea. :)

I'd love to mess with something like this. I can't wait to poke around and mess with the DRC.

guek

Banned
After all the negative stories and complete and utter drought of leaks for such a long time, all this recent hype and talk has gotten me SUPER pumped. WHOOOOOO

HylianTom

Banned
After all the negative stories and complete and utter drought of leaks for such a long time, all this recent hype and talk has gotten me SUPER pumped. WHOOOOOO
It has been quite a change in tone over the past 24 hours. Seeing people who never come in this thread getting excited has me a bit enthusiastic about the system's prospects.

Maybe it won't do Wii-level sales, but I think it'll end-up doing pretty well for itself. Especially if they come-up with a great marketing campaign that shows-off the system's unique features.

Ryan82 is outcast from GAF and would like to say hi.
He also has now signed a binding legal contract which obligates him to buy me two copies of Time Splitters 4 for the Wii U.

Shurayuki

Well if the range is as big as wsippel "hinted" at it might really not be too useful for many hehe.
I did read though that people tried to tunnel Monster Hunter 3G to fake online co-op, but they couldn't get the 3DS to accept the signal. Isn't that remotely related, would that point towards difficulties? (works on PSP apparently, and people seem to be able to play around with ni-fi on ds/wii at will too)

Nintendo why did you learn security, why not allow me to have region free hacks ;P

Linkhero1

Well if the range is as big as wsippel "hinted" at it might really not be too useful for many hehe.
I did read though that people tried to tunnel Monster Hunter 3G to fake online co-op, but they couldn't get the 3DS to accept the signal. Isn't that remotely related, would that point towards difficulties? (works on PSP apparently, and people seem to be able to play around with ni-fi on ds/wii at will too)

Does anyone have a link so I can read? I want to reaDDD

It will be our little secret.

Does anyone have a link so I can read? I want to reaDDD

It will be our little secret.

Yeah, seems strange. Maybe their sources are smaller/ less important studios and really won't get the newer pads for a while. The latest pad (product id DK-DEV-V5) is wireless. Also looks like Nintendo uses Ni-Fi for the controller now (2.4 or 5GHz), so range shouldn't be limited to a single room - possibly not even just a single floor.

Enjoy.

Kjellson

Account system was confirmed back in january at one of their investor meetings.
Ah. Yes, I forgot that. Thanks.

I still wouldn't be surprised if there was some catch in it that messed it all up. But Nintendo has really taken a big step in the online department lately. Imo.

AzaK

Yeah, seems strange. Maybe their sources are smaller/ less important studios and really won't get the newer pads for a while. The latest pad (product id DK-DEV-V5) is wireless. Also looks like Nintendo uses Ni-Fi for the controller now (2.4 or 5GHz), so range shouldn't be limited to a single room - possibly not even just a single floor.

"Ni-Fi" is just what the homebrew community calls Nintendos proprietary wireless protocol. Nintendo uses standard 802.11b/g WLAN adapters, but for communication between Nintendo devices, they use a custom transport protocol. That custom protocol requires special firmware on the WLAN adapters, which is why there are no tunnels like Xlink for Nintendo handhelds (someone was working on something years ago, and even got somewhere, but it required a specific WLAN adapter and was never finished). Ni-Fi has a lower latency compared to standard WLAN protocols, which makes it ideal for local multiplayer - or the Wii U pad.
Any idea on the bandwidtch of nifi? Is it just G or would we expect N this time?

Audio DSPs typically have a fixed number of output channels, and the Wii U DSP supposedly supports eight channels: Six channels over HDMI, one stereo pair for a single pad. In a similar fashion, a dedicated video encoder is limited to a number of streams. Supporting four pads would require four encoders. Three of which would do fuck all most of the time. Waste of silicon and money.

I guess those two channels could be shared among all the pads. Do the work in hardware, copy buffer to memory with CPU, encode and send.

I'm wondering when the account system will be launching.

Gotta give it to Nintendo, they're making big strides.

The beginning of a generation is really when you have to do it. The majority of the groundwork is generally set with the start of the machine, and it's not as easy to plan big changes in the middle of a system's lifetime (though it's possible).

wsippel

Banned

Nintendo why did you learn security, why not allow me to have region free hacks ;P
That wasn't a hint, it was speculation based on a few publicly known facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom