• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U + Switch Owners, will you be getting rid of your vanilla Mario Kart 8 game?

G0523

I'm kind of on the fence about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I already have the vanilla game on Wii U and while I intend on getting it for Switch, I'm wondering if I should get rid of the Wii U version. This of course opens up a whole can of worms since other Wii U games like Rayman Legends, Shovel Knight, and Super Smash Bros. have or will have Switch versions. For those of you who own both a Wii U and a Switch, will you be selling and/or getting rid of your Wii U copy for each game? It's a tough decision especially since more money was spent in getting DLC for MK8 and Smash. But at the same time, do you really need two copies of the same game?

I got the game digitally soooo no. For that reason I won't be picking up Deluxe (also due to lack of new race tracks, I don't care for battle mode at all).

I already sold my copy. I see my Wii U continuing to sit out under my TV for single-player games I have unfinished business with and Super Mario Maker. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's new Battle Mode and the Drive Assist should be more helpful in engaging folks only incidentally or peripherally interested in games. For game that is often a party game that is super helpful.

Seik

Banned
Nah, I'm a collector and even if I end up selling I'd end up with less cash than what I paid for.

nope i was all digital on wii u but i still plan to get the switch version for battle mode and to have a portable version of by far the best mario kart game.

psychotron

Already did and I'm psyched as hell for the deluxe version. The wife and I get just a little bit closer as a couple while playing MK.

rje

I love my Wii U stuff, so I don't plan on getting rid of it. Honestly I'm kinda considering picking up a spare console in case something happens to my current system

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care about battle mode and won't pay for Switch online so I don't see any reason to replace the Wii U version.

Don't have a Switch yet, but I'll keep both copies of MK8.

Then again, I'm the weird guy who likes owning multiple versions of games (bought Final Fantasy X ok the PS2 after buying the HD collection on PS3), so I'm definitely not the norm.

atmuh

nope i was all digital on wii u but i still plan to get the switch version for battle mode and to have a portable version of by far the best mario kart game.
this is pretty much me, although if i bought it physical i would definitely resell it

As soon as I had a clue that it would be on Switch I traded it in to Gamestop. They gave me $44 for it. Almost the same for Smash Bros.

Sold mine while I could still get around $40 for it. I feel like anyone who was planning to do that should have done it like right after it got announced/release date confirmed

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Already got rid of it along with our Wii U, so I have to replace it as it's the best MK. Even though it's short on new additions I'm happy to see dual weapons return. It's part of the reason Double Dash was my previous favorite.

styl3s

I sold my copy (along with my wii-u) to a friend who can put it all to good use instead of collecting dust on a shelf. I never saw a point in owning multiple versions of a game.

Wii-U might have more units out in the wild but the Switch verison will be the most active 3,6,12+ months from it's launch and i can play it on the go tethered to my phone so why would i choose to play a lesser version?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I hope to get a Switch soon, but unfortunately I plan to skip MK8D altogether.

Was an amazing Mario Kart game but the new characters don't intrigue me and the real battle arenas, which do intrigue me, also just make me bitter since they should have been there from the start. Not going to pick it up for that reason.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Already gone. Not sure if I'm getting the Switch port, but I probably will eventually and thus the Wii U build is redundant.

Platy

I was thinking "only when I got 4 pro controllers", but I remembered that my MK8 is digital and I will keep my WiiU even if only because of homebrew as a retro machine

I already did.

Yeah.

I basically pay the cost of the DLC to upgrade.

I don't normally sell my games, (this is the literal first time I've done it,) but I sold a spare Wii U copy of Breath of the Wild, an accidentally bought copy of FE: Birthright (I have the CE), and my copy of MK8 for a pro controller and most of MK8 Deluxe.

antibolo

Banned
Already done, and I bought an extra pair of joycons so I'm ready to host 4 player games.

Would also have sold Splatoon if I hadn't bought it digital lol

VDenter

Banned
Battle mode was the least interesting part out of any Mario Kart and its not worth the asking price alone. So no might as well just wait for Mario Kart 9.

Neff

I can't be arsed. I probably won't make much on it and I intend to buy the Switch version digitally anyway, so it'll be nice to be able to hold onto a physical copy.

No, and fuck them for no upgrade discount. I'll just be skipping it instead. If there was a way to upgrade for cheap I'd do that.

Who says there's no upgrade discount?

bibs

I own MK8 digitally so can't sell it like I did my other Wii U titles. I'll be getting MK8D first day though because the chance to play on of my favourite games ever on a portable is a dream come true

EhoaVash

Nah
battle mode is meh

+ have a bunch of controllers that work with the Wii u version for local play. Don't think I will want to buy more joy cons/ switch pro controller this soon

Gonna wait for mk9

J@hranimo

Banned
I have it digitally so nah. I think I'll just wait and get it later on because I'm not sure I'll be getting it at full price and will put a ton of time into it.

....Or just wait on MK9.

If it weren't for the new novice-friendly features from which my wife will greatly benefit I wouldn't even bother with the new version. I think Delux will finally convert her.

Top Bottom