• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U US November Sales Estimated at 149K by Pachter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuuichi

While this sounds exceptionally low, I have no problem believing it, especially with the next gen launches. It's going to be interesting how Nintendo climbs out of this one.

stuminus3

I'm actually at the point where I think he's being generous. Wouldn't surprise me if the actual figure was way lower.

vazel

Banned
Figures. The one console that fulfills my dreams of a VMU successor and it fails hard. 2014 will be the real test with Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

JoeM86

Doesn't Pachter's estimates usually come in higher than what was actually sold? I don't remember what he predicted last month or whether it was higher or lower than the actual number.

Not always. I believe with September 2013 he predicted the Wii U had sold half of what it actually did.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Your telling me it couldn't even muster half a mil of sales, during Black Friday bonanza with Mario in the fold... JESUS!

Nintendo, press that panic button, all hands on deck, fuck going @ quarter speed, just RAMMING SPEED ahead

Can you imagine no NIN console?, becoming a handheld company, then getting barraged from amazon, google, apple, and samsung on that front
At least Sony & MS bleed and can't massacre the competition, but those other 4 on the handheld side are fucking ruthless

Magnus

Clearly compelling software alone ain't enough - Mario is it, the big kahuna. I'm convinced "good games" alone can't bring people to the table - too much other shit was wrong, from marketing to messaging to power to the name..,,It's really such a fucking shame. Between Zelda, W101, SM3DW and more, it's been the most fun I've had on consoles all year.

Hybrid897

don't die before X is out.

My hope as well.

iclVcPqXKW3yR.gif

Just kill it off already. I don't want to see good software bomb because of dumb hardware decisions.

And where is that good software going to go if they kill the Wii U? The "real" next gen system some of you seem to think Nintendo is capable of developing, manufacturing and releasing in the next six months?

DSN2K

its a bomb...but Nintendo will support it for while yet. They will certainly speed up their next console because of it. I say as early as late 2015 Nintendo have a new console out.

Anth0ny

Welp, yeah that's that then.

So... assuming we're not getting a new Nintendo machine until 2016 or so, and assuming they're not going to just drop the console, what exactly does Nintendo do with this thing? I mean, eventually retailers aren't going to order more of the product, and they'll have to stop manufacturing.

I do expect a kind of re-brand and re-model of some sort coming, but can't really think of what else to do.

They keep their chins up and hope for a turnaround with Donkey Kong, Mario Kart and Smash Bros next year. Maybe they drop the gamepad and the price to $199, maybe they keep it and drop the price to $250.

After that doesn't work, 2015 will have Yoshi Yarn, a new Kirby, SMT x FE and the new Zelda. It'll be dead and buried by this point.

2016 has nothing for Wii U, but they drop the new console in November 2016 alongside an EAD Tokyo Mario. I can't imagine they waste EAD Tokyo on a second 3D Mario for the Wii U, considering the first one has proven to do fuck all for the console. Better off just saving them for the next console, with maybe a 3D Land 2 for 3DS at some point.

what a disaster.

holy shit. if true, i can't imagine them riding out the wii u anymore. at a certain point i would imagine they'll just say "what's the fucking point?"

2014 will probably be the last year wii u games get released. smash, kart, bayonetta 2, x, yoshi, then onto the next system

The thing is, assuming they get all of those games out in 2014, what would releasing a new console do to benefit them? They're likely never getting the third party back, and on the new system they'd have the exact same issue as the Wii U has had. The launch lineup on the new console would probably be a 2D mario game again (which we're already oversaturated on) and the cycle of Wii U would just repeat all over again. I think they just have to drag the corpse of the Wii U through the next few years, releasing whatever they can while their new replacement of Iwata works to fix whatever the hell is wrong with a vast majority of the leadership/organization at Nintendo. Then, after a few years of suffering/change they should be reorganized enough to have a more clear, successful launch of the next console provided 3DS can provide them enough revenue to make it through the tanking of the Wii U.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Nintendo should release the successor as soon as they can and launch with all of the Wii U's best games upgraded to 1080p 60fps. Barely anybody would even know that the games had already been released.

If it's close to that, I hope Mods will simply lock all future "how to save WiiU" threads. It'll useless noise no one needs to read or waste time on.

eXistor

Nintendo's best console since the snes. Of course it bombs completely. Buy it already, you have no reason not to. Compliment it with a PS4 and you're set for life.

jeffers

seriously amazing how many replies seem to be taking this as fact. even if it were 90% likely, just fricken wait for the actual number. =/

Tratorn

Wow, that would be even worse than the first november/BF for vita. I don't believe that.

But well, we'll know in 3 days.

balgajo

Man, if Pachter is right it would be one of the worst predictions that the banned site made.
Let's just say that they predicted Pachter's numbers just for this week.

It's hard for me to imagine it being that low. I predicted 180K, and it was hard for me to imagine that, either.

Despite not being optimistic, anything short of ~400K is basically not getting it to GameCube levels for a November. A healthy console with a future should have no difficulty selling half a million in a November sales period in the United States. A console that can't break 200K, if it indeed falls short, isn't even getting to Dreamcast levels.

Nintendo has not other options, either kill it and get on the train with the X1 and PS4(unlikely to happen)

Or do a Pokemon MMO, this can save the Wii U.
A Pokemon MMO will save the Wii u and probably make it outsell the PS4/X1.
But it will also need a Starfox game like a real sequel to Starfox 64 using the Wii U's maximum power.

Those games and Wii u is saved, if not then it's dead.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Nintendo's best console since the snes. Of course it bombs completely. Buy it already, you have no reason not to. Compliment it with a PS4 and you're set for life.

I have a 150 game backlog on my PS3, it keeps growing due to PS+

Then my Vita has 25 game backlog due to PS+ again

How on earth will I have time for damn Wii U...

I also have a PS4

@_@!

MickeyPhree

150k in one month isnt great by any means but its still selling consoles... nintendo prob wants something like 500k tho right?

November is supposed to be a huge month sales wise. If these sales are correct, this is an unprecedented disappointment.

Foffy

Banned
On one hand, this sounds crazy.

On another, with how Nintendo has handled Wii U, this sounds shockingly possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom