• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U US November Sales Estimated at 149K by Pachter

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

First of all, I said prominence, not profitability. To dismiss iTunes and the engines powered by it, such as iPod, and iTouch to some degree, is bordering on alternate-history.

The only thing I got remotely wrong was the two decades. He was gone for 12, almost 13 years.

Apple was utterly irrelevant from the late 70's through the early 2000's, when the iPod exploded (like I said, iTunes). Unless you waint to make a case for how a company with far less than 10% marketshare in the industries it competed in for decades is "relevant."

I pointed out that Nintendo is nothing like Blackberry due to longevity.

If anything, Nintendo is analogous to Disney, which I pointed out before, has had many peaks and valleys in its lifetime.

Anyways, to dismiss the past as a perhaps-useful barometer for future success is too simplistic. The past can be, in limited scope, a useful barometer to determine the long-term sustainability of a company or a nation or whatnot. Case in point: We know that Microsoft is an aggressive company that is capable of shifting gears quickly. How do we know this well we know this by the way they've behaved in other markets throughout its history. We know that McDonald's is not gonna be irrelevant in the fast-food industry in the next five years how do we know this well because partly of its past.
Why would you say that marketshare is relevant to prominence? Would you say that Apple is not prominent today with less than 10% market share in phones, less than 10% market share in computers, but still the most profitable company in both? If you want to make a case that Apple is irrelevant and that the industry pays more attention to Huawei, ZTE, Dell (on the verge of a buyout) and Asus because of their higher marketshare, be my guess.

We do not know that McDonalds will not become irrelevant in the fast food industry in the future based on the past, but based on the present. If you don't want to consider Blackberry, consider Nokia, Motorola or HP. Longevity is not a good barometer of future success.

If Nintendo can profit off the Wii U for those 3-4 years, they'll keep supporting it. I don't think they are profiting at all, especially if they have to drop the price to liquidate stock. My feeling is that if the Wii U bombs during this Christmas season, the Wii U won't see the latter half of 2015.
there are risks involved though. You risk irrelevancy by being fine not being a player for 3-4 years despite being a bit profitable. It's much harder to come back from that.

Log4Girlz

QWOPSS.jpg

Change the key letters to W I I U

Xun

Redesign, rename, relaunch. Drop price and the gamepad and sell it separately. The "Wii" brand is dead. The Wii U has the name and the look of a seven year old console that everyone stopped caring about two years ago since it drowned in shovelware.
This could potentially work if sales don't pick up.

Simply Nintendo U, or at the very least emphasize the U more than the Wii in the logo.

Tobor

First of all, I said prominence, not profitability. To dismiss iTunes and the engines powered by it, such as iPod, and iTouch to some degree, is bordering on alternate-history.

The only thing I got remotely wrong was the two decades. He was gone for 12, almost 13 years.

Apple was utterly irrelevant from the late 70's through the early 2000's, when the iPod exploded (like I said, iTunes). Unless you want to make a case for how a company with far less than 10% marketshare in the industries it competed in for decades is "relevant."

I pointed out that Nintendo is nothing like Blackberry due to longevity.

If anything, Nintendo is analogous to Disney, which I pointed out before, has had many peaks and valleys in its lifetime.

Anyways, to dismiss the past as a perhaps-useful barometer for future success is too simplistic. The past can be, in limited scope, a useful barometer to determine the long-term sustainability of a company or a nation or whatnot. Case in point: We know that Microsoft is an aggressive company that is capable of shifting gears quickly. How do we know this well we know this by the way they've behaved in other markets throughout its history. We know that McDonald's is not gonna be irrelevant in the fast-food industry in the next five years how do we know this well because partly of its past.

Please stop talking about Apple. You don't know what you're talking about.

Riky

$MSFT
I can't see Nintendo just dropping the Wii U, they will ride it out like Gamecube until at least 2016. They are not in a good position but who would trust them next time if they just dumped Wii U owners that quickly?

If Nintendo can't produce a drastic price drop, then what's the waiting period before regrouping and launching another console. Do they get Zelda U out? Do they scrap it and save it for the new system? Do they play out the next 3-4 years with the wiiU and pray to god something comes of it, or will those years be just filled with losses and time wasted.

It's a really tough spot to be in.

Yeah, they're well past the point of having any good options moving forward; the question is what their least bad option is, and oh boy is it a tough one.

That the games are top quality regardless of mainstream appeal.

It's not my fault people don't want to step outside of their comfort zones and play Pikmin 3.

I don't know, to me, it seems like Nintendo games are the ultimate comfort zone, except they want me to keep plunking down $40-60 to [Gross Generalization Incoming] keep playing as the same character rescuing the same damsel from the same distress over and over again. Nintendo games just seem to be the same story, if they bother having one at all, with maybe a new mechanism tossed in. That doesn't interest me. If you're going to keep using the same characters, give me story progression, don't spin me a different version of the same basic fairy tale. [/Gross Generalization Over] I only need to buy that game once. When I miss that experience, I can replay the game I already have on the system I already own.

As for Pikmin, I remember adoring the original on GameCube. It was an experience that was certainly new to me. 30 days to find all the pieces of a ship in order to survive and make it home? Cool enough. And the game was fun, too. And then Pikmin 2 came along and it was... collect for the purposes of collecting? Pay off some schmoe's debt or something? Why do I care about doing that? I played the game for a few "days," and just didn't particularly see the point in continuing. Maybe the point of the game changed after I quit playing, I don't know, but the premise up to that point just wasn't interesting. So it lost me, and Pikmin 3, whatever it's about, isn't going to grab my attention.

Edit: If I backtrack a bit and take myself out of the equation, I'd say that the way I see it from their point of view, is that every few years, they get to reintroduce their characters and their worlds to a whole new generation of gamers, and that has largely worked for them. To the degree that they continually appeal to past generations of players, that works out well for them, too. If it works for them, keep it up, what do I care. But it just isn't going to appeal to me.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
If the numbers are disastrous, like how most are guessing in here, will NINTY react in any way?

There's a thing of a slow burn, but not this fucking slow

When your console in one territory is in the negative for the quarter, shit needs to change

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Man, reading the last few pages you would say Wii U is...doomed.

Doomed will be said all the time

The thing is doom over NINTY looms a lot, but NINTY always comes out ahead because it has set it self up in such a way, where that doom doesn't drown it

Problem with the Wii U is the foresight it used for all other consoles, wasn't used very well here, they had blinders on thinking the predecessor's community will make them bank, same way Sony thought PS2 to PS3 transition

This is the first console they're losing money on, and if they price cut, that's a huge hit to coffers
NINTY may have truckloads, but those truckloads always need to be pumped with new resources of cash, you can't keep siphoning off it and not refilling it

Ridley327

I don't know, to me, it seems like Nintendo games are the ultimate comfort zone, except they want me to keep plunking down $40-60 to [Gross Generalization Incoming] keep playing as the same character rescuing the same damsel from the same distress over and over again. Nintendo games just seem to be the same story, if they bother having one at all, with maybe a new mechanism tossed in. That doesn't interest me. If you're going to keep using the same characters, give me story progression, don't spin me a different version of the same basic fairy tale. [/Gross Generalization Over] I only need to buy that game once. When I miss that experience, I can replay the game I already have on the system I already own.

As for Pikmin, I remember adoring the original on GameCube. It was an experience that was certainly new to me. 30 days to find all the pieces of a ship in order to survive and make it home? Cool enough. And the game was fun, too. And then Pikmin 2 came along and it was... collect for the purposes of collecting? Pay off some schmoe's debt or something? Why do I care about doing that? I played the game for a few "days," and just didn't particularly see the point in continuing. Maybe the point of the game changed after I quit playing, I don't know, but the premise up to that point just wasn't interesting. So it lost me, and Pikmin 3, whatever it's about, isn't going to grab my attention.

FWIW, Pikmin 3 goes back to an overall day limit (albeit not as strict as the first game), as well as the fruits having an actual purpose to their collection. They're not nearly as unique as the ship parts, but there's a point to all of them, versus the approach 2 took.

If the numbers are disastrous, like how most are guessing in here, will NINTY react in any way?

There's a thing of a slow burn, but not this fucking slow

When your console in one territory is in the negative for the quarter, shit needs to change

NINTY doesn't react. I think their only damage control so far has been.... a new Zelda Symphony?

leroidys

If Nintendo can't produce a drastic price drop, then what's the waiting period before regrouping and launching another console. Do they get Zelda U out? Do they scrap it and save it for the new system? Do they play out the next 3-4 years with the wiiU and pray to god something comes of it, or will those years be just filled with losses and time wasted.

It's a tough spot. They've already sunk a lot of money into Wii U development. Can they be profitable just off of 3DS revenue if they were to stop releasing Wii U games to hold them for Nextendo? I imagine the earliest they could push a new system out would be about 1 1/2 years from now.

Riki

if this is the beginning of the end, we should just hope we get more great games before the end

/drama queen

There's already quite a few amazing games announced for the system, and likely more in development.

It's a tough spot. They've already sunk a lot of money into Wii U development. Can they be profitable just off of 3DS revenue if they were to stop releasing Wii U games to hold them for Nextendo? I imagine the earliest they could push a new system out would be about 1 1/2 years from now.

This would be disastrous. Giving up on the WiiU all together would basically just them be giving up on console development forever. If anything, they'll double down on the WiiU and try and eek out a proper niche for it.

Wii U
New Super Mario Bros U (+ New Super Luigi U DLC) Platformer
Game & Wario - See above Minigame
Sing Party Music
Game & Wario Minigame
Pikmin 3 Strategy
The Wonderful 101 (Nintendo owns the IP. It counts) Action Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HDAction Adventure HD Remix
Wii Party UMinigame
Wii Fit UMinigame
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter GamesMinigame
Super Mario 3D WorldPlatformer

So that's 2 Platformers, 5 Minigame collections, 1 strategy game, 2 action adventures (one of them a remake), and 1 casual music game. Adding Ninja Gaiden and Lego City we would get one Character Action game, and one Open World game.
Nintendo Land - Arcade (Collection)
Wii Party U - Minigames (Party)
Game & Wario - Minigames (Party)
Wii Fit U - Sports (Simulation)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games - Sports
Lego City: Undercover - Action Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Action Adventure
New Super Mario Bros. U - Platformer (2D)
Super Mario 3D World - Platformer (3D)
Pikmin 3 - RTS
The Wonderful 101 - Action (Brawler)
Sing Party - Music (Singing)

NINTY doesn't react. I think their only damage control so far has been.... a new Zelda Symphony?

How exactly should they react, though? There's very little Nintendo can do in the very near term, besides rushing out the upcoming first-party releases (which may already be happening) or another price cut (which would be very unlikely to boost sales enough to offset the financial hit). They have no leverage over third parties to speak of even if they did try to pursue moneyhats, and they can't make additional first-party software materialize out of nowhere; the closest they can do to the latter is more low-budget, low-risk expansion of existing releases (I wouldn't be surprised to see an NSLU-style expansion for SM3DW).

Crisco

Banned
It's not like it really matters for people who already bought the thing. You're going to get the Nintendo games you craved when you bought it eventually, so what if 3rd party support is nil. Hell, even the Wii had crap for 3rd party games. Nintendo isn't going to pull the plug on it and the games that we know are in development (Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart, etc..) will be released. Yeah, it sucks to spend $350 on something that will probably be $200 when the games you wanted are finally released, but that's the curse of the early adopter in almost every case. The only people who should really give a crap are shareholders. From a games standpoint, sales are far more important for Sony and MS than they are for Nintendo.

Nintendo Land - Arcade (Collection)
Wii Party U - Minigames (Party)
Game & Wario - Minigames (Party)
Wii Fit U - Sports (Simulation)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games - Sports
Lego City: Undercover - Action Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Action Adventure
New Super Mario Bros. U - Platformer (2D)
Super Mario 3D World - Platformer (3D)
Pikmin 3 - RTS
The Wonderful 101 - Action (Brawler)
Sing Party - Music (Singing)

I'm not exactly sure what you're going for here, aside from filling in some titles he missed

I don't see them just dropping the Wii U. Could you imagine what that would do to them as far as consumer loyalty? It'd be devastating. Plus, I'm sure it's not simple to just launch another platform like that. I think we'll see Wii U support at least until 2016. The Wii U's problems go beyond hardware in comparison to the competition.

Recall

You can have the best game in the world it does not mean it will sell.

Marketing crushed them and they never recovered from the initial mainstream confusion. I'm glad I have a WiiU, the same way I'm glad I own all my consoles as they all have something worth playing that you can't always get elsewhere.

Also a price cut doesn't solves problems, its a short sighted "fix" that fixes nothing.

Riki

Regardless of the actual numbers, I don't think that a figure of 150k or 250k will change much. A dreadful end of the year for Wii U don't make me happy, but hopefully it will force Nintendo's execs to act drastically.

As a business, acting drastically is actually not a good thing.
They're probably already ramping up development to games, but that still takes time. There's nothing they can do immediately to change anything.

ascii42

Apple was utterly irrelevant from the late 70's through the early 2000's, when the iPod exploded (like I said, iTunes). Unless you want to make a case for how a company with far less than 10% marketshare in the industries it competed in for decades is "relevant."

Late 70s? As in when Apple virtually created the home computer market with the Apple II? The various versions of the Apple II were pretty damn relevant for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom