• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Dual Shock 4 drivers.

There's a fix that works just fine and should take care of all issues:

https://inputmapper.com/20-windows-10-1607-au-exclusive-mode-fix

Not optimal but it works.

There's also a new version of InputMapper that should be out in a couple weeks that will fix the issue completely:

https://inputmapper.com/23-im-1-5-to-receive-first-updates-in-a-very-long-time

So in reality this is not really a big deal at all. Pretty much a nonissue.

Nice, so I can allow my Win10 gaming machines to update to AU now? I think there was some other issue with SSDs too, though.

I got @WindowsSupport on Twitter to look into the issue and linking to Hobbles topic in the string. Hoping this gets fixed and everyone can use all the stuff easily again.

Eusis

I got the update when it officially launched and both my DS4 and 360 controllers work just the same.
Can you go into DS4 exclusive mode for games that use both Direct and Xinput though? That is, hide the DS4's DirectInput? Because that's the issue here, anything that doesn't accept DirectInput in the first place or works natively with the DS4 properly is a non-issue, while for games like Dark Souls it's screwy.

Kudo

I got @WindowsSupport on Twitter to look into the issue and linking to Hobbles topic in the string. Hoping this gets fixed and everyone can use all the stuff easily again.

Here's hoping, the fix is a pain to run through everytime when playing a game.

Dsyndrome

Anyone that's running Insider Builds for W10 try their DS4 and see if the issue's been fixed? Apparently it fixes the issues with the Xbox One controller.

Parsnip

Anyone that's running Insider Builds for W10 try their DS4 and see if the issue's been fixed? Apparently it fixes the issues with the Xbox One controller.

The xbox one controller fix was a driver update, the cause for the DS4 issue is not something you might fix with a driver update, from what I've read anyway.

Hopefully this gets solved if/when Sony releases the actual ds4 drivers that may/may not come with their new dongle, such a pita having to cycle and reconnect depending on the game, and the ds4 is a damn good pc controller so it makes it that much worse having to screw around to get things working properly.

New W10 cumulative update is out today:
September 13, 2016 — KB3189866 (OS Build 14393.187)

If anyone here is currently using 1607 (Anniversary) and can confirm whether the Exclusive Mode issue was solved, I'd be thankful myself.

Darktalon

This update includes quality improvements and security fixes. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:
Improved reliability of Windows Shell, map apps, Internet Explorer 11, and Microsoft Edge.
Addressed issue causing push-button reset to not work correctly and roll back on devices with language set to any of the Unicode languages.
Addressed issue causing devices to crash after disconnecting an e-reader that was attached to the device.
Addressed issue causing devices to not recognize a Secure Digital (SD) card if it is inserted and removed multiple times.
Addressed issue causing some apps to not respond to the commands in the app bar in Windows 10 Mobile.
Addressed issue that sometimes blocks alarm notifications in Windows 10 Mobile.
Improved support for using the camera app in Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise.
Addressed additional issues with rendering 4K resolution, missing Start menu tiles when running on battery, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Bluetooth compatibility, graphics, display rotation, app compatibility, Wi-Fi, Feedback Hub, Miracast, Windows Shell, revised daylight saving time, and USB.
Security updates to Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel, and Adobe Flash Player.

This update includes quality improvements and security fixes. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:
Improved reliability of Windows Shell, map apps, Internet Explorer 11, and Microsoft Edge.
Addressed issue causing push-button reset to not work correctly and roll back on devices with language set to any of the Unicode languages.
Addressed issue causing devices to crash after disconnecting an e-reader that was attached to the device.
Addressed issue causing devices to not recognize a Secure Digital (SD) card if it is inserted and removed multiple times.
Addressed issue causing some apps to not respond to the commands in the app bar in Windows 10 Mobile.
Addressed issue that sometimes blocks alarm notifications in Windows 10 Mobile.
Improved support for using the camera app in Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise.
Addressed additional issues with rendering 4K resolution, missing Start menu tiles when running on battery, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Bluetooth compatibility, graphics, display rotation, app compatibility, Wi-Fi, Feedback Hub, Miracast, Windows Shell, revised daylight saving time, and USB.
Security updates to Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows kernel, and Adobe Flash Player.

Seems it wasn't adressed at all. Neither on the fixes nor on the complete affected file list I can't see anything regarding the error.

jb1234

It looks like my moment of judgement has fallen. Despite deferring the update, my DS4 now no longer works with a good chunk of games (including the Dark Souls and Trails in the Sky, which I was looking forward to starting). Bullshit.

Eusis

It looks like my moment of judgement has fallen. Despite deferring the update, my DS4 now no longer works with a good chunk of games (including the Dark Souls and Trails in the Sky, which I was looking forward to starting). Bullshit.
Trails in the Sky has reasonable function with DirectInput although you may need to disable the right stick. But it's not a big deal to use the shoulder buttons for camera control in a game like this (Cold Steel would be irritating though.)

jb1234

Trails in the Sky has reasonable function with DirectInput although you may need to disable the right stick. But it's not a big deal to use the shoulder buttons for camera control in a game like this (Cold Steel would be irritating though.)

It turns out that my Dolphin Bar was actually conflicting with the DS4, haha.

Dsyndrome

It works if you are just using direct input, but if you are using DS4Windows or InputMapper, you have to manually cycle the HID setting in Device Manager still.

~Cross~

It works if you are just using direct input, but if you are using DS4Windows or InputMapper, you have to manually cycle the HID setting in Device Manager still.

Do you run the exclusive tool prior to opening ds4w or inputmapper?

Is a tiny little hassle but its not insurmountable.

e-Oh it already mentioned in the thread. Yeah the tool will get it to work without much legwork. Its a none issue 99% of the time but microsoft should just fix it already.

Dsyndrome

Do you run the exclusive tool prior to opening ds4w or inputmapper?

Is a tiny little hassle but its not insurmountable.
It's a setting internal to each program that prevents your computer from seeing two controller iputs. You have to cycle the clients prior to turning on those programs in order for it to work in exclusive mode.

Annoyance right now more than anything.

mishakoz

So im having a problem (to be fair I had this on Windows 7 as well, but not as prevalent)

Im directly jacked in with a usb cable, and my character in dark souls starts spinning, Circle button is X, and some other weird changes. I cant get inputmapper to take over.

Any solutions? It works occasionally but seems to be a fluke when it does.

So im having a problem (to be fair I had this on Windows 7 as well, but not as prevalent)

Im directly jacked in with a usb cable, and my character in dark souls starts spinning, Circle button is X, and some other weird changes. I cant get inputmapper to take over.

Any solutions? It works occasionally but seems to be a fluke when it does.

That's the exact problem this thread is talking about. The game is receiving both Xinput and DirectInput commands at the same time. Try the Exclusive Mode tool.

Miker

So I was having issues, even using the exclusive mode fix tool, and turns out somebody made a fork of DS4Windows that automates the process. Somebody compiled the .exe and it's here: https://github.com/Jays2Kings/DS4Windows/issues/142#issuecomment-247760352. Kinda sketchy downloading a random .exe, but hey, I replaced my original DS4Windows.exe and it works!

Also, I tried out InputMapper to see if it was an issue w/ DS4Windows (I knew it wasn't, but I was getting frustrated) and lemme just say I don't see why anybody would use that over DS4Windows.

A new update was released recently
September 20, 2016 — KB3193494 (OS Builds 14393.187 and 14393.189)

Anyone here can confirm if the issue was solved? Thanks in advance

PS: ScpToolkit has the same problem as DS4windows /Inputmapper on the 1607 win10 build?

netBuff

A new update was released recently
September 20, 2016 — KB3193494 (OS Builds 14393.187 and 14393.189)

Anyone here can confirm if the issue was solved? Thanks in advance

This is just a fixed rehash of the bugged September 13 update (installation loop issue)

red731

Shit is working again breh!

Thank you for the heads up!

The need to not change DS4 for 360 gampead to play Dirt Rally because you would need to rebind everything is a blessing.

Same for NFS Most Wanted where it takes it as a 360 pad.

Bless.

DS4 no longer working without controller being plugged in.

It wasn't working last week either... I did play Dark Souls 3 a few weeks ago just fine, wirelessly, but there have been windows updates since then.

Any ideas?

jb1234

It doesn't work for me anymore when it's plugged in either. All the usual games are broken (including DS3, which I recently played the DLC of).

ferr

that's the thing about monolithic kernels, it can sometimes be difficult to manage configuration of any out of scope dependencies like this -- they'll probably push a host update to correct chain/dependents problems.

renzolama

You folks who are still soldiering on with the Dualshock 4 in Windows are true digital warriors/masochists. The "it's broken, now it's not broken" saga over the past year drove me to buy an Xbox One controller (and later elite) months ago. That you're still having to deal with a third party driver solution that breaks randomly with every update is bad enough, but the fact that Sony released a wireless dongle that didn't include drivers to map the input to xinput is just icing on the cake. How much more could Sony do to convince the world that they couldn't possibly care less if Windows users buy their controllers. Thank goodness for Steam/Valve I guess.

jb1234

The steam beta also supports the Dualshock 4 now. The config can be accessed through big picture mode and works with just about anything. It behaves like the Steam controller.

The Steam beta also completely breaks exclusive mode in InputMapper and I assume, DS4Windows. I'm not willing to try it for that exact reason, because if I don't like it, I can't go back to what I'm used to.

You folks who are still soldiering on with the Dualshock 4 in Windows are true digital warriors/masochists. The "it's broken, now it's not broken" saga over the past year drove me to buy an Xbox One controller (and later elite) months ago. That you're still having to deal with a third party driver solution that breaks randomly with every update is bad enough, but the fact that Sony released a wireless dongle that didn't include drivers to map the input to xinput is just icing on the cake. How much more could Sony do to convince the world that they couldn't possibly care less if Windows users buy their controllers. Thank goodness for Steam/Valve I guess.

Considering the number of games that have had broken Xbox One controller support I'm not sure you're any better off. In any case Sony could not sell the DS4 as Xinput compatible without changing all the buttons glyphs to match the Xbox ones. The DS4 works brilliantly in games that offer direct support and the Steam controller support has been pretty bulletproof.

Geoff9920

The Steam beta also completely breaks exclusive mode in InputMapper and I assume, DS4Windows. I'm not willing to try it for that exact reason, because if I don't like it, I can't go back to what I'm used to.
I've only used DS4 windows. I'll give it a test with Dark Souls and see if it breaks it. I'll let you know later tonight.

edit: I'll test both steam and DS4 windows separately.

Steam's Support is a complete replacement of DS4Windows/Input Mapper. You should never try and run them simultaneously.

Geoff9920

I'm using the windows 10 Anniversary update and both the Steam Beta and DS4Windows work without issues on the original Dark Souls. You'll just need to turn off one to use the other. You'll also have to disconnect / reconnect the controller when switching between programs. Other than that both work just fine.

Personally, I think the steam beta offers a better experience as you'll also gain access to community configs / personal customization.

renzolama

Considering the number of games that have had broken Xbox One controller support I'm not sure you're any better off. In any case Sony could not sell the DS4 as Xinput compatible without changing all the buttons glyphs to match the Xbox ones. The DS4 works brilliantly in games that offer direct support and the Steam controller support has been pretty bulletproof.

Fair enough, but I didn't swap the XBOne controller until all those problems had been ironed out (after I was sick of playing the driver game with my extra DS4). I wasn't aware that there was legal obligation to change the button symbols for an xinput controller. Out of curiosity, where did you find that information? I'm interested in reading more about it but apparently my google-fu is weak.

Top Bottom