• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Dual Shock 4 drivers.

Jin

I was getting the exact same thing earlier so I connected my controller via usb so that I could play Rocket League. When I finished playing I disconnected the cable, turned the controller off and powered it back up again and it's staying connected while wireless now. Might want to give that a shot if you haven't already.

This works, thanks. There's an update for the controller as well when I open the Xbox accessories app.

KaoteK

I'm all for pulling on MS when they pull shady shit, but this is on Sony. Why they've not released drivers for Windows is beyond me.

That said I once again feel vindicated in sticking with 8.1.

There isn't anything to fix. The controller isn't a xinput controller. If Sony releases a xinput version via drivers or controller, it would work.

It doesn't need drivers. It is a plug and play direct input device. Games can and do natively support it. What MS keeps breaking is the ability to both emulate an xinput device AND hide the direct input device, something certain games require to function correctly. Sony can't just released their own Xinput driver because the Dual Shock 4 does not conform to the standards MS requires for licensees.

One more anti-game monopoly stunt from Windows 10, and I will make sure they get the Konami Treatment.

(FYI, I never really used my DS4 on Windows 10 anyway, I just love my diverse gaming community)

Saw it yesterday...
Seriously what a disaster of an update and now I can't play certain games with a controller.

It also fucked up some of my games on Steam, reinstalled all the crapware like Onenote, removed some of my Windows and Nvidia settings and the list goes on.

TBiddy

Wow, people are defending that an OS update breaks stuff? Modern Software Engineering is so bad, it actually trains people to expect shoddy workmanship.

Are you a developer? If not, have you ever developed anything? Fixing bugs can easily lead to unforeseen consequences, elsewhere. I think it's arrogant to come in and make a post like that "MSE is so bad". Operating systems, whether it's Windows, Linux, OSX or whatever, are incredibly complicated, and stuff breaks all the time.

Mivey

Are you a developer? If not, have you ever developed anything? Fixing bugs can easily lead to unforeseen consequences, elsewhere. I think it's arrogant to come in and make a post like that "MSE is so bad". Operating systems, whether it's Windows, Linux, OSX or whatever, are incredibly complicated, and stuff breaks all the time.
As a computer scientist, you don't need to explain to me how hard making correctly working stuff can be, I know that bugs happen, but I don't feel like an organisation like MS is spending enough time on these hard technical realities and much more on terrible monetisation techniques. And I really feel like this is more a general trend in software developement and less something specific about MS.

In a related note, the current update gives me some weird error messages about the NT kernel failing, so I'm sorry if I don't think it's terribly arrogant to call them bad engineers.

Trup1aya

Wow, people are defending that an OS update breaks stuff? Modern Software Engineering is so bad, it actually trains people to expect shoddy workmanship.

You think this is a modern thing? Software updates have been breaking shit since "the software update" has been a thing.

leeh

It happens, but I don't feel like an organisation like MS is spending enough time on these hard technical realities and much more on terrible monetisation techniques. And I really feel like this is more a general trend in software developement and less something specific about MS.

In a related note, the current update gives me some weird error messages about the NT kernel failing, so I'm sorry if I don't think it's terribly arrogant to call them bad engineers.
Send an email to MS stating how you think it's diabolical that in their regression pack they don't include playing a subset of games with a third party community driver which uses depreciated libraries.

It is terribly arrogant to call them bad engineers. Microsoft is one of the companies whom over companies admire when it comes to software lifecycles. The unification they've done in their OS' for 10 is a huge achievement in software in general.

TBiddy

As a computer scientist, you don't need to explain to me how hard making correctly working stuff can be, I know that bugs happen, but I don't feel like an organisation like MS is spending enough time on these hard technical realities and much more on terrible monetisation techniques. And I really feel like this is more a general trend in software developement and less something specific about MS.

If you're a computer scientist, you should be aware how complicated this stuff is. I still believe it's incredibly arrogant of you to assume, that the engineers and developers working on Windows are bad at their job. In my mind, it shows that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You can disagree with their decisions, their direction, but if you think Microsoft hires bad engineers as a general rule, I'm not sure what to tell you.

sfried

Is there a general thread for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update *cough* 0x80070057 *cough*

Seriosuly, this update won't even appear on my Windows Update, even after having unchecked the Defer Upgrades option.

If you're a computer scientist, you should be aware how complicated this stuff is. I still believe it's incredibly arrogant of you to assume, that the engineers and developers working on Windows are bad at their job. In my mind, it shows that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

What is your area of expertise?

If the guy with the CS degree thinks that some of the bugs / errors are of a basic level that shouldn't have made its way past testing / been made in the first place ...... I am inclined to listen to him.

The level of complication of a system or item is not an excuse for basic errors.

TBiddy

If the guy with the CS degree thinks that some of the bugs / errors are of a basic level that shouldn't have made its way past testing / been made in the first place ...... I am inclined to listen to him.

The level of complication of a system or item is not an excuse for basic errors.

I work in IT. "The guy with the CS degree" doesn't have access to the source code and probably has no idea how good the engineers at Microsoft are, hence when he claims that they are "bad", it comes across as incredibly arrogant. Also, he hasn't written (from what I can see) if he think the bugs are of a "basic level" (how do you define "basic level" and/or "basic errors" in development?) or not.

Zedox

Well, I'm also a computer scientist (my job is in testing as well) and agree with Tbiddy. But either way, it is deprecated technology, people using it shouldn't rely on it. Don't always listen to people just because they have a title (even myself). I know many comp sci people at even my job that haven't kept up with tech and they are slooooooooooooow or other people making not so good decisions.

Mivey

If you're a computer scientist, you should be aware how complicated this stuff is. I still believe it's incredibly arrogant of you to assume, that the engineers and developers working on Windows are bad at their job. In my mind, it shows that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. You can disagree with their decisions, their direction, but if you think Microsoft hires bad engineers as a general rule, I'm not sure what to tell you.
I didn't say they are bad in general, but I don't feel like they did a good job with what should be a routine update. Again, never had an OS bluescreen on me during the update process.

I think I'll wait a few weeks, maybe a few people will figure out how to get past that error (I tried it a second time and the same thing happened)

I work in IT. "The guy with the CS degree" doesn't have access to the source code and probably has no idea how good the engineers at Microsoft are, hence when he claims that they are "bad", it comes across as incredibly arrogant. Also, he hasn't written (from what I can see) if he think the bugs are of a "basic level" (how do you define "basic level" and/or "basic errors" in development?) or not.

Fair enough, but your opinion is based solely on assumption, like you are claiming the "arrogant" poster is also doing.

Maybe lets settle by stating that no one knows wtf they are taking about, the only facts around are that the latest Windows 10 update has broken a number of things for various people.

TBiddy

I didn't say they are bad in general, but I don't feel like they did a good job with what should be a routine update. Again, never had an OS bluescreen on me during the update process.

I think I'll wait a few weeks, maybe a few people will figure out how to get past that error (I tried it a second time and the same thing happened)

I've seen iPhones brick during updates, Windows-installations failing/blue-screening and Android-phones rebooting on their own. It happens and isn't necessarily due to bad coding. Hardware-failures are also a common reason for crashes.

That's not to say that every engineer working at MS/Apple/Google are great at their job. Some are probably faking it, but I'd argue that in general the engineers employed at "The Big Three" are amongst the best in the business.

Fair enough, but your opinion is based solely on assumption, like you are claiming the "arrogant" poster is also doing.

I assume that the engineers at Microsoft in general are pretty good at their job yes.

shoreu

Yeah as a CS major I'm inclined to side with TBiddy. Dude sounds like he's just faffing at the mouth.

Lets explain what has happened like this.

Cooperate has passed a new policy down to its 100,000s of thousands of stores and has given them 6 months to adjust.

A few stores have some "special/ non supported things that cooperate could not possibly track" and this new policy can effect them.

Some stores adjust and others don't and it causes issues at theIr stores.

All other stores have been positively changed or at least kept the status quo and this small minority suffered due to its own inability to modify its policy to something it knew was going to happen.

Whose fault is this?
this is an extremely bare bones/ stupid way to explain this but I hope it helps.

Lord Phol

Not only do they manage to break something that wasn't even a problem in their last OS but they manage to break it again after taking months to fix it. No idea what's going on with MS and windows 10 lately. Personally never had as much trouble with windows 7 as Im having with 10.

LordRaptor

I don't feel like an organisation like MS is spending enough time on these hard technical realities and much more on terrible monetisation techniques. And I really feel like this is more a general trend in software developement and less something specific about MS.

Yes, I agree.

I also think contemporary MS worries way too fucking much about what techbloggers are saying about them than they do about getting the job done right - which is also a contemporary trend not just seen in MS that is detrimental to end users - which is why we have gone from BSODs with specific error codes because someone in MS PR didn't like 'the optics' of that to the worse than fucking useless "Something went wrong *sadface emoji*" screen.

It's also why instead of regular and continuous patch release updates that are only deployed when fully tested, and tested and rolled out independently to minimise regression issues, we get these giant fucking behemoth patches instead that are rushed to meet the Huge Ass Patch Deadline because 'the optics' of continuously fixing issues makes a product look 'broken' to fucking idiots who don't understand computers, but a huge, multiple gigs large download that combines bug fixes, with core system rewrites, with new programs, with new features let's you have a big fucking PR party to dominate the news cycles for a day or so

Mivey

I've seen iPhones brick during updates, Windows-installations failing/blue-screening and Android-phones rebooting on their own. It happens and isn't necessarily due to bad coding. Hardware-failures are also a common reason for crashes.
Hardware in general is much more stable than software. Stuff like model checking became really popular for circuitry. I'm not saying formal verficitation is a panacea that will fix everything, but looking how unreliable modern software is in my experience and I'm not even comparing it to stuff in the 70ies or 80ies since I didn't live back then (though the basic Unix tools from back then are among the most stable pieces of software I have ever known) it's clearly not enough to just have good engineers (how ever you measure that) but you need good leadership and direction. And everything good about Windows 10 has been completely overshadowed by how terrible MS is at focusing on stuff that makes an OS great.

Am I claiming that this view is purely professional and not flavored by my personal bias? No, but I'm sorry if your argument seem like dogmatic apolegetics to me.

Id say Microsoft are only just about getting the amount of flak they deserve for their terrible engineers and leaders performance. They could and should get more flak though.

leeh

I wouldn't say hardware failures, I'd say it's hard to encounter for every hardware variation and every current state the OS is in when updating is the main reason for this.

Driving testing with more automation really helps in areas like this. Although, the number one statement of testing, which is textbook btw, is:
"You can't test everything"

I've also now learnt that GAF is bombarded by CS students.

TBiddy

Hardware in general is much more stable than software. Stuff like model checking became really popular for circuitry. I'm not saying formal verficitation is a panacea that will fix everything, but looking how unreliable modern software is in my experience and I'm not even comparing it to stuff in the 70ies or 80ies since I didn't live back then (though the basic Unix tools from back then are among the most stable pieces of software I have ever known) it's clearly not enough to just have good engineers (how ever you measure that) but you need good leadership and direction. And everything good about Windows 10 has been completely overshadowed by how terrible MS is at focusing on stuff that makes an OS great.

Am I claiming that this view is purely professional and not flavored by my personal bias? No, but I'm sorry if your argument seem like dogmatic apolegetics to me.

Indeed, hardware is more stable than software. But blaming crashes, bugs and what have you on "bad engineers" (which is what you wrote) doesn't make sense. Whether or not Windows 10 is good or bad or in between isn't what I'm talking about. I'm merely pointing out that it calling Microsoft engineers bad or claming that MSE in general is bad is arrogant.

That the leadership at Microsoft aren't doing a good job, we definitely agree on, but I think it's unfair to blame the engineers or developers at Microsoft.

Id say Microsoft are only just about getting the amount of flak they deserve for their terrible engineers and leaders performance. They could and should get more flak though.

I mean.. what. This is just nonsense.

dr_rus

Is there a general thread for the Windows 10 Anniversary Update *cough* 0x80070057 *cough*

Seriosuly, this update won't even appear on my Windows Update, even after having unchecked the Defer Upgrades option.

Download the ISO/USB tool and create a USB media, it allows to upgrade your current Win10 installation as well as install 1607 from scratch.

Mivey

Indeed, hardware is more stable than software. But blaming crashes, bugs and what have you on "bad engineers" (which is what you wrote) doesn't make sense.
Maybe I was a tad emotional. But I don't think even the people at MS can currently claim (if they are being honest) that they are currently making the best of their abilities. I guess if you get paid well enough that doesn't hurt to much, but still.

QaaQer

Maybe I was a tad emotional. But I don't think even the people at MS can currently claim (if they are being honest) that they are currently making the best of their abilities. I guess if you get paid well enough that doesn't hurt to much, but still.

We waste so much talent today. Top minds go into shit like high frequency trading, ad delivery, getting people to spend a few seconds more each day on Facebook, maximizing in app purchases, etc etc. Sure they get paid well, but what a waste.

Three

I'm all for pulling on MS when they pull shady shit, but this is on Sony. Why they've not released drivers for Windows is beyond me.

That said I once again feel vindicated in sticking with 8.1.

Again this is NOT a driver issue. The DS4 is a standard HID device. This is a Windows issue

The cause is once again, a so far undetermined Windows process is enumerating and connecting to all HID devices. This enumeration should be better filtered as it should only apply to certain GUID or device classes such as keyboards and mice and not also to devices that also appear in HID enumeration such as gamepads.
This issue was corrected once before in Windows 10 as the early releases had the same issue.
Current workaround is to disable then re-enable the HID device in device manager. Other programs will then be able to access it exclusively again.

Windows is trying to connect to all HID devices and this breaks things when an application requires exclusive access. They reintroduced a bug they had before. This would affect all HID gamepads/devices in programs/devices that require exclusive access.

With which games?

its hit or miss for me. some examples of games that do not work with it anymore:
slain, inside

examples of games/apps that still work with it:
doom, forza apex, controller companion

i wonder if slain/inside are using the directinput driver while doom is coded specifically for the xbone controller?

So is the takeaway from this thread that, whether you use an XB1 controller or DS4, you should disable automatic updates until this is sorted out, or...?

There's a working fix, I checked it and now I can finally play games with exclusive mode on.

See the post of jhebbel pcsx2 forum.

It's an exe you need to run before starting D4Windows.

It appears the xinputhid.sys driver that comes with the Anniversary Update is faulty. This would affect all game controllers that are used in the operating system, including both DS4 and Xbox 360/One controllers.

Additionally, since this is driver level, would potentially affect all controllers regardless if they were used with a game on Steam, GOG, Origin, Windows Store, etc.

A workaround is to roll back the driver to the version that was included with Windows 10 Version 1511 until Microsoft patches it via Windows Update.

There's a YouTube video available documenting the workaround, but it's kind of hard to follow as its in Russian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlvLftCqvSo

Durante

I don't feel like an organisation like MS is spending enough time on these hard technical realities and much more on terrible monetisation techniques.
Yes.

I'm also quite convinced that MS would be more than capable of thorough Win32 regression testing, but that their current corporate agenda does not consider maintaining an excellent user experience for consumer Win32 software a top priority.

I like how every time Windows breaks something it's going to be seen as Sweeny's redemption.
Tim Sweeney certainly doesn't need "redemption".

Windows is trying to connect to all HID devices and this breaks things when an application requires exclusive access. They reintroduced a bug they had before. This would affect all HID gamepads/devices in programs/devices that require exclusive access.

So, well. This bug is probably not related to gamepads in particular indeed, as it broke my keyboard lights. I was researching the ways to deploy self-made driver (note: I'm no expert, it's just someone has done that already on Linux so maybe the "driver" part will just work? turns out it did) and at one point stumbled upon this.
https://github.com/signal11/hidapi/issues/231
So... did they fix it at one point on W10? Since I can see no mention of that.

There a fix for this yet? I'm using my dual shock 4 on Windows 10 with ds4windows for steam games. It's been working fine for months. Then last night the controller just dropped the connection mid game. When I try to reconnect nothing happens. I've tried repairing, reinstalling driver and two different Bluetooth devices. Restarted ds4windows. The Ds4 will connect for a few minutes then drop again. Anyone experienced this?

JayBabay

For some reason my DS4 isn't recognized by DS4Windows anymore, not even wired. I reinstalled drivers, but the weird thing is when I plugged it in it auto installed the device like it was the first time plugging it in. Dunno what to do at this point.

MaDKaT

Ah... glad I saw this thread. Was wondering what the hell happened to my DS4Windows. After the update I've had to re-pair the controller multiple times. Worked fine wired so I've just dealt while Ive been cleaning up/disabling everything else the update changed.

Top Bottom