• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks Dual Shock 4 drivers.

leeh

Sorry in advance for this pretentious and patronizing comment, but people who use the Terminal on macOS are simply amateurs.
I don't get that, you can pretty much find all the same packages you do for Linux distros in OSX. Why would you say they're amateurs? You get all the pre-built Linux utilities in there.

Atleast it's not powershell.

HPX

If you have the pro version just disable updates via gpedit.msc. You can always reactivate later if the dev updates their program too.

The forced update thing by default on win 10 is annoying though.
Iirc they are gping to remove gpedit.msc for pro. And prevent unsigned drovers. Not sure if its now with this anniv. update or in the future, but yay!...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't get that, you can pretty much find all the same packages you do for Linux distros in OSX. Why would you say they're amateurs? You get all the pre-built Linux utilities in there.

I am sad powershell did. It get the love and spread it deserved. Personally I prefer the idea and debuggability of an object oriented languages based design than essentially string manipulations and commands concatenation that we have now. Bash is hardly easy to debug :).

Then again my powershell practically experience is limited so I have not seen darker corner cases beyond the lack of third party packages and tools compared to bash/zsh today...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Maybe re-install DS4Windows?

I think the major problem is (like with the Upgrade last year) Microsoft goes and "checks" for the latest update of things and then either overwrites to a default state (causing a conflict) or installs the software which conflicts with something else.

Microsoft should just stop going back to the "default state" when you update/upgrade your OS. Especially if it isn't a new install. I could understand checking for the latest drivers for the hardware and things, but looking for the latest drivers for things not plugged in currently and/or optional like controllers?

TBiddy

Software versioning SHOULD BE architectural. It's the POINT.

They are. Internally. The build numbers aren't arbitrary. The version numbers relate to the date. I'm sorry you didn't know that, but that falls solely on you.

It certainly doesn't imply - nor does "Anniversary update" - the likelihood of major impact on previously working systems, rewrites of core modules, resetting all user preferences, etc

There are no serious developers that rely solely on Microsofts (or anyone elses) internal build numbers, when they determine whether or not they need to fix their shit. If you were a developer, you'd run tests. That's one of the reasons, Insider Versions/Betas are released. It's for developers to test if everything is running as expected.

this:

10586.240, 10586.318, 10586.338, 10586.420 and 10586.494. As written above the Anniversary Update is 14393.10

Doesn't mean shit to anyone outside of MS.
It doesn't need to. It's not meant to be used by anyone outside of MS, and especially not by developers, basing their "should we fix it or not" decisions, based on that.

It's the third party who should have fixed this months ago when the developer previews were available. That's the whole point of them.

Hello again 2015
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1081643

They broke this twice now.
Intentional or not constantly breaking things is going to piss off people to the point where they think they will be better off buying official "Xbox" stuff.

The reason companies have developers preview, unless it does not happens in the preview.

How long did it take for this to be fixed last time?

Now I can't use my DS3 and IDK how I'll play some of the games I own. Killer Instinct being one of them. FFS Microsoft QQ

Drivers were all community driven. Not surprised in the least that the update broke it. It'll be fixed in a few weeks anyways. It's par the course until Sony decides to officially support DS4 on Windows and put some resources behind it. I don't understand the outrage here.

Yudoken

I'm using SCP DS3 (for DS3, PS Movement controller and DS4) and hopefully it's not effected by this (actually it hold up pretty well, it's stable and running for a long time).

Not that I like the DS4 very much when I can choose other gamepads for PC, but it kind of amazes me that Sony hasn't yet decided to officially support their product with an official driver already. It would only help sell them as well as boost popularity of their gamepad design among PC players.

The real crime here is playing KI on a DualShock 3

Shhht. It's alright, my child. KEK.

On a serious note: Remember guys, you can roll back to the previous non-Anniversary build via the Update and Security setting window.

If you guys want to avoid to install this build (1607), you can use the following tool to "hide" it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

EDIT: Actually you guys might want to put this on the first post.

Nah, of course you are using command line. But not Terminal. Use iTerm2 instead. Just to give one example.

Teletraan1

Banned
To clarify, "exclusive mode" isn't some feature of xinput. It's inherently reliant on broken code and working around an existing system. MS doesn't need to actively be trying to disallow anything for third party software to break.

For sure, I wasn't trying to imply that exclusive mode was something inherent to xinput. It is a hack workaround that hides the non xinput version of the controller to avoid double inputs and has had its functionality broken multiple times since W10 has released. My main point was that there is nothing the software wrapper folks can do about it. It is all on MS to either fix or leave broken.

For sure, I wasn't trying to imply that exclusive mode was something inherent to xinput. It is a hack workaround that hides the non xinput version of the controller to avoid double inputs and has had its functionality broken multiple times since W10 has released. My main point was that there is nothing the software wrapper folks can do about it. It is all on MS to either fix or leave broken.

There isn't anything to fix. The controller isn't a xinput controller. If Sony releases a xinput version via drivers or controller, it would work.

Jin

Xbox One Wireless controller doesn't work for me as well after the update. Turns off after a second. Great job MS.

Same here. Tried uninstalling, reboot, and reinstall wireless adapter, changing USB port, resyncing, etc. My elite controller would turn on, the light would stabilize showing it's synced, then turn off after 2 seconds. Between this and the driver earlier this year that causes beeping and freezing I really don't understand why it's so hard to get a controller working. The 360 was plug and play and no issue for many years.

Dsyndrome

Workaround from the Inputmapper dev if you don't want to switch to SCPServer:
Update:
The cause is once again, a so far undetermined Windows process is enumerating and connecting to all HID devices. This enumeration should be better filtered as it should only apply to certain GUID or device classes such as keyboards and mice and not also to devices that also appear in HID enumeration such as gamepads.
This issue was corrected once before in Windows 10 as the early releases had the same issue.
Current workaround is to disable then re-enable the HID device in device manager. Other programs will then be able to access it exclusively again.
This is not a fix, just a temporary workaround.
Here's a video he did showing how to do it:
https://inputmapper.com/20-windows-10-1607-au-exclusive-mode-fix

Head.spawn

There isn't anything to fix. The controller isn't a xinput controller. If Sony releases a xinput version via drivers or controller, it would work.

So they have PC Remote Play, but they still haven't released modern drivers?

I don't understand why people are making more of a fuss about MS in this instance and not being on Sony's case to supply drivers, it has been three years... which i can only imagine would be a trivial task for a software company like that. Gamers shouldn't be relying on other gamers to create third party work around to use their product.

Teletraan1

Banned

I don't understand why people are making more of a fuss about MS in this instance and not being on Sony's case to supply drivers, it has been three years... which i can only imagine would be a trivial task for a software company like that. Gamers shouldn't be relying on other gamers to create third party work around to use their product.

Probably something to do with how ingrained the XBOX controller is into xinput thanks to how they introduced xinput with the 360 controller and depreciated direct input to the point where basic features like rumble wouldn't work because of reasons on the 360 controller if developers used directinput. It wouldn't be like the button prompts are magically going to be playstation prompts just because they made a xinput driver. I might be wrong but most xinput devices share the same button nomenclature as the 360 controller. I doubt sony would want to officially endorse a confusing product such as that and having to rely on the mod community on a game by game basis to change button prompts lol.

Its really hard to give Microsoft any benefit of the doubt when they keep doing stuff like this. Gaming outside of UWP is clearly not their priority if not their outright enemy. If Microsoft was really putting all PC gaming first then they wouldn't let stuff like this happen.

I really do hope I'm wrong. Microsoft is clearly inconveniencing a lot of people here. Maybe it really is development/testing oversight but it's honesly just a little to convenient. Never trust any company to have your best interest at heart, that's just naive.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Its really hard to give Microsoft any benefit of the doubt when they keep doing stuff like this. Gaming outside of UWP is clearly not their priority if not their outright enemy. If Microsoft was really putting all PC gaming first then they wouldn't let stuff like this happen.

I really do hope I'm wrong. Microsoft is clearly inconveniencing a lot of people here. Maybe it really is development/testing oversight but it's honesly just a little to convenient. Never trust any company to have your best interest at heart, that's just naive.

Then why use Windows?
Go use Linux.

Teletraan1

Banned
Then why are those people using Windows?
Go use Linux.

You are seriously posting this on a gaming forum. We might get there someday and I sincerely hope we do but Linux gaming support is hit and miss right now. Probably less than 10% of my Steam Library offers native Linux versions and absolutely 0% of those games are AAA games. Games and how they perform are really the only thing keeping a lot of people on windows. But as you say since they don't trust microsoft they should probably abandon 90% of PC gaming. Makes sense to have such strong binary principals.

Head.spawn

Probably something to do with how ingrained the XBOX controller is into xinput thanks to how they introduced xinput with the 360 controller and depreciated direct input to the point where basic features like rumble wouldn't work because of reasons on the 360 controller if developers used directinput. It wouldn't be like the button prompts are magically going to be playstation prompts just because they made a xinput driver. I might be wrong but most xinput devices share the same button nomenclature as the 360 controller. I doubt sony would want to officially endorse a confusing product such as that and having to rely on the mod community on a game by game basis to change button prompts lol.

Good points ask around, though I think of Sony went with official drivers though, developers would be more inclined to give us the option to select our own default button prompts.

Pejo

Well I guess luckily for me, my Win10 Anniversary update errored out and continues to fail. Kinda bullshit because it was a clean install on a brand new drive back when I upgraded to it.

This sucks though, I use DS4 for pretty much every game other than KI and SFV.

Zedox

These troll posts are getting so in depth nowadays. :)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nah, of course you are using command line. But not Terminal. Use iTerm2 instead. Just to give one example.

Oh yeah... I was assuming iTerm2 + oh-my-zsh + agnoster + got integration and all .json/.js/.sh/etc... scripts and files set to open in Visual Studio Code by default. Good use of the open / open -a command as well as its counterpart cdto on Finder as a must too ;).

Teletraan1

Banned
Good points ask around, though I think of Sony went with official drivers though, developers would be more inclined to give us the option to select our own default button prompts.

It would be nice but I don't expect it. Some games that detected that you had a direct input PS pad plugged in have switched to those prompts. The Witcher 3 did this for sure, FFXIV on PC let me show PS prompts independent of what controller was plugged in. It would take a huge effort to steer developers into allowing both types of button prompts and frankly I doubt the amount of people who bootleg use a DS4 on windows warrants such a change. It would be nice if this was fixed for the handful of people who prefer this over the 360 pad layout even though the hardliners in this thread keep insisting there is nothing to fix. If it becomes much more of a problem I think I will just buy the next revision of the Steam Controller which even uses the "proper" xbox style button prompts.

I haven't tried the DS4 with just scp server but so far:
With DS4Windows:
-Rise of the Tomb Raider still works
-Doom doesn't recognise the controller at all
-Witcher 3 recognises every button press twice
If I just connect the controller without ds4windows Witcher 3 works well and even has PS button prompts, but I can't use the controller via bluetooth.
The Dualshock 3 with scp server never needed exclusive mode, so it's works as well before. However it feels extremely small after using DS4 for quite a while.

TSM

You are off by 7 years. It's been 10 years since the six axis was released and 9 Since the Dualshock 3 was released. There's still no sign of any kind of official support from Sony.

There's still issues with the xbox controller drivers in windows 10 that cause performance issues when disconnected until you fully reboot the pc.

Microsoft can't even fix their own controller issues after what feels like 5 months of the big being present.

NotDigital

Neo Member
Same here. Tried uninstalling, reboot, and reinstall wireless adapter, changing USB port, resyncing, etc. My elite controller would turn on, the light would stabilize showing it's synced, then turn off after 2 seconds. Between this and the driver earlier this year that causes beeping and freezing I really don't understand why it's so hard to get a controller working. The 360 was plug and play and no issue for many years.

I was getting the exact same thing earlier so I connected my controller via usb so that I could play Rocket League. When I finished playing I disconnected the cable, turned the controller off and powered it back up again and it's staying connected while wireless now. Might want to give that a shot if you haven't already.

dr_rus

Sigh. 1607 update still doesn't know how to resume store downloads in case of a sudden reboot or something like this. Downloaded 40GBs out of 50 and rebooted? Go download them again.

Top Bottom