• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired Morpheus Pre-E3 preview - mentions new Guerrilla game, Trackmania VR, Harmonix

20 PS games would be a very small number for everything...their published booth list already has something like 40-50 games on it.

I'm pretty sure the 20 in question are 20 Morpheus games/demos.

The full paragraph:

Could be wrong, but that seems to be talking about their VR presentation. Even if it is, though, of course they could have mixed in non-VR games in confusion.

Yeah, you seem to be right. It hit me afterwards that 20 seems to be low.

Felensis

Banned
I fully expect this thing to be 300+ dollars/euro's.

...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm out. As much as I'm hyped for VR, especially because I already have experience with Oculus DK2, I don't see spending several hundred euro for Morpheus. Especially since it's an peripheral.

KalBalboa

Banned
I've been expecting $299 for ages. It seems like it'll absolutely be worth it.

A $150/$199 headset could end up being a half-measure, and $299 isn't terribly expensive in 2015. I've got a job and don't expect my phone, computer, game console, television, hell- even my monitor to cost less than $300 at launch.

VR looks cool, but photos like this don't inspire much confidence.

MG_8360-482x321.jpg

I don't want more Kinect/Wii gimmicks.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But then he would have to say a couple of hundred if it were less and that would just be giving the price away.

Several means more than one in this case imo.

If Morpheus was $199, he wouldn't have had to worry about how to sell the price to customers.

BadWolf

Hoping it will be $199 for standalone headset and $299 for a bundle of some kind.

Yeah this is the thing, people seem to be okay with the $299 base price but if you factor in the camera and Move on top of that then the price doesn't seem so hot.

Seems they have nailed the tech, let's see if they do so with the price as well.

Do you want it to be be a quality product? I say expect $350-$400

Will be doa at that price.

They have to balance power and price, like they did with the PS4.

KalBalboa

Banned
Morpheus is probably $399. I'm not expecting it lower than that.

A healthy estimate. I think $299-$399 is where it'll fall, but $399 is where it starts to push mainstream consumers away. A $599 bundle with a PS4 is what I keep imagining on a shelf next Christmas.

Morpheus is probably $399. I'm not expecting it lower than that.

They might as well not even bother if it's that much. You aren't going to convince a large amount of people to pay as much as a console for a peripheral that'll only be usable for a few games on that console. It'll be a hardcore device like racing wheels or fighting sticks.

Paganmoon

Trackmania, About freaking time it came to consoles! But imagining some of the crazy custom timed tracks, on VR, yeah I'm getting dizzy as is already.

border

Will be doa at that price.

They have to balance power and price, like they did with the PS4.

Then it will be doa. This isn't a console where you can just lower the amount of RAM or use a cheaper processor. The LCD screens and sensors and gyroscopes have a pretty fixed cost.

Mononoke

Banned
Of course it's several hundred dollars. Did anyone expect anything less that $200-300 range?

Edit: I guess several can mean more than $200 technically. I'm just going to wait for an official price announcement. But I think $200-300 range is reasonable and realistic. Below $199 is crazy.

Jb

I'm guessing it's an entirely separate thing than their main Trackmania games, like Trackmania DS. They were probably already developing it for Oculus/PC regardless.

Oh right, that would make sense yeah, especially if Ubisoft is trying to figure out wtf they can do with the TR license.

A huge amount of people on this forum expects to be $199 and even below. I've seen it in most of the threads about VR.
Less than $200 is delusional for the tech involved. Let's not forget Kinect came out at $150 and that thing was largely a complete piece of shit.

Mononoke

Banned
A huge amount of people on this forum expects to be $199 and even below. I've seen it in most of the threads about VR.

I guess in my mind $200 =several hundred dollars.

I looked up the definition since I rarely see several as a way to talk about money. I guess several is often used for more than two but not many. So it would be more than $200. I think?

My apologies. I just never see several used when talking about money.

border

You gotta be kidding me -- seriously?

What reason is there to believe it would be less than $200? Other than "I believe it will cost $199 because that is the price I want to pay."

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You gotta be kidding me -- seriously?

What reason is there to believe it would be less than $200? Other than "I believe it will cost $199 because that is the price I want to pay."

Pretty much. And that Sony somehow will want so much to promote Morpheus that will subsidize it or not make any profit from it and they already have the screens lying around in the warehouse or something. That sums it up.

glaurung

I doubt it will be the same price as a PS4.
They could leverage the price point by bundling the thing with more items and games. Input controllers are cheap to produce, Morpheus is expensive to produce.

Throw in some controllers and maybe a game or two to justify the €399 price point.

OneUh8

It will be between $299 and $399 imo. No way will it be more than $400 though. It would be DOA if they did that imo. Unless they are ok not selling much at first and getting all the hardcore at first then drop price later.

Trackmania VR?
I'm actually pretty happy that it's coming to consoles... but why VR? It seems like such a weird choice. Unless it was a really simple and cheap process to optimize it for Morpheus.
It's a racing game with all sorts of wacky and loopy tracks. It's a perfect showcase for VR.

Top Bottom