• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired Morpheus Pre-E3 preview - mentions new Guerrilla game, Trackmania VR, Harmonix

Dabanton

UK side I'm expecting over £300 pounds probably more as the stores will no doubt be doing bundling.

Do we think Sony will announce a price today?

how the hell people even play that level design, I can't even see the track layout properly and this guy is jumping, looping and spinning in perfect precision.

You just go forward. Notice the car actually never moves sideways. It's just forward acceleration with the spins and bumps from the actual track.

Seanspeed

Banned
Interesting article if you guys read it.

Has some info on a potential workaround for the 1st person on-foot problem. It's not ideal, and it's not necessarily proven yet, but it sounds like larger areas with no close frames of reference allow greater speeds without as much nausea feeling. Makes sense, but also sounds a bit limiting. And not sure what happens when you get other players/enemies around you that start providing a frame of reference(or maybe you just don't have close up enemies?).

Anyways, good on Sony for pushing this properly. It's not gonna be any half-ass supported 'peripheral'. This is a proper expansion into a new medium and it's happening. :)

VR looks cool, but photos like this don't inspire much confidence.

MG_8360-482x321.jpg

I don't want more Kinect/Wii gimmicks.

There really isn't anything inherently bad about this.

border

Interesting article if you guys read it.

Has some info on a potential workaround for the 1st person on-foot problem. It's not ideal, and it's not necessarily proven yet, but it sounds like larger areas with no close frames of reference allow greater speeds without as much nausea feeling. Makes sense, but also sounds a bit limiting. And not sure what happens when you get other players/enemies around you that start providing a frame of reference(or maybe you just don't have close up enemies?).

I wonder if this will be a renaissance for the rail shooter?

Elandyll

Banned
I'm pretty sure they'd know that having the Morpheus being more expensive than the PS4 would be a not starter, so imo $399 is kind of a ceiling.

then, at least for me, $399 for a device would be too expensive anyway (I know that some wheels are far more costly than that though), and the main market for console VR is probably more around $299 and hopefully at some time closer to $199.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Sony might pull an Oculus and not announce a price at E3 and just wait for the others. But in this case is safe to assume that all 3 HMDs are around the same price and they play this cat and mouse game for +/- $50.

RibMan

"Several" could mean anywhere above $200.

It would be very smart to launch Morpheus between $249.99 and $499.99. Anything over $499.99 and the cost of entry to console VR becomes $1,000 (assuming the current PS4 price remains unchanged + cost of a VR game purchase). That's not a casual-friendly price, and if a chunk of Morpheus games are being made specifically for casuals then those titles won't do well.

If Morpheus comes in at less than $400 then Sony will lock up the VR market. Their competitors can't and don't want to compete on price, so it's really Sony's ball to drop. Very excited for their conference!

Please tell me Guerilla's game is only compatible with the Morpheus and not REQUIRED.

I don't really have 200+$ to spend on a VR headset right now.

They're not going to make mega-budget games require Morpheus, because that'll ruin their chances of being massive sellers at retail.

Valonquar

"Sony is bringing close to 20 games"

translates to: Sony is bringing out 4 demos and shoehorning in support in five other games before leaving this overpriced toy to rot.

Morpheus is probably $399. I'm not expecting it lower than that.

Same here. And honestly, I don't want it to be lower than that.

I don't think the technology has reached the point where a sub $300 headset will deliver a quality experience. Much like those early (and janky) $200 tablets were rubbish, cheap VR solutions will likely be garbage.

An entire Oculus system (headset and PC) is a $1500 – $2000 investment. If Sony can deliver an equivalent experience bundle for $700 – $800 (PS4 and Morpheus) that is a GREAT deal.

That bears repeating; a robust, next-level VR experience in your home for less than $800.

Sign me up.

border

My guess would be $349.99 for the HMD, 2 Move controllers, Playstation Camera, and 2 games.

I could see it going all the way to $399.99. The price will be high, but they will try to increase perceived value by bundling in a bunch of stuff.

“We need to convince PS4 owners to spend several hundred dollars to purchase a Morpheus headset, on top of the PS4 they already have,” says Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony’s Worldwide Studios

$599 Morpheus? FOH with that. Might just be skipping the consoles this gen and go PC after all. There's no way you can tell me they can't find some sort of solution to offer Morpheus for cheaper than that, especially if they want mainstream adaptation.

"Morpheus available early 2016 for...$599!"
Lol yeah was my first thought too.

Mononoke

Banned
I mean aren't most of the headsets like Vive and Oculus expected to at least be $300? Why are people expecting Sony to have the cheapest price of out of this tech?

Seanspeed

Banned
I wonder if this will be a renaissance for the rail shooter?
Ya know, I'm not sure how rail shooters work in VR. The fact that they take control away from you is usually a no-no, but I'm also not comfortable saying that it just wouldn't work.

EDIT: Actually, strike that. They work fine. Just remembered several examples.

Falaut

I really hope that VR headsets get incorporated as an option in more traditional games. Something like FPS shooters and just being able to use the controller and have the ability to look around. I can even imagine a 3rd person game working rather well, where the camera behind the character has a free look to it using the headset, and everything else is traditional.

As for the price, I'm in up to $399.

Eggbok

Sony might pull an Oculus and not announce a price at E3 and just wait for the others. But in this case is safe to assume that all 3 HMDs are around the same price and they play this cat and mouse game for +/- $50.

If they don't drop a price today I expect one at PSX.

Opt1kon_

Its kind of sad when many people don't know the meaning of "Several" even when quoted that way, I Believe it'll be about $249.99-$299

Tonight at the company’s keynote event, it will announce games from multiple game studios: Sony-exclusive ones like Guerilla Games, but also third-party outfits and even small indie teams. There’ll be a VR version of Ubisoft’s Trackmania racing franchise; Harmonix Music VR, a music visualizer from the Rock Band developer; Wayward Pines, a new game from the team behind third-person shooter Monday Night Combat.
Whoops, that can't have been cleared before hand.

Mononoke

Banned
Yeah, I'm scared now.

Couple = 2
Few = 3-4
Several = 5-7

Ugh.

Several is technically more than two but not many. Doesn't 5-7 = many? So several is more your 3-4 range?

There is just no way Morpheus is more than the price of a PS4. No way. They would kill VR in its tracks. Dead on fuckin arrival if it's more than a PS4.

TheMan

Honestly even 200 is too high a price for a peripheral if they want mass market, but I assume Sony is well aware of that.

Mononoke

Banned
Honestly even 200 is too high a price for a peripheral if they want mass market, but I assume Sony is well aware of that.

I just think that's crazy. You are then saying Vive and Oculus have to be under $199 and that seems so unrealistic given the tech. I agree a low price would help mass market adoption. But sometimes things cost money. And mass market consumers are willing to pay above $199 for goods.

Nikodemos

I think that among non-native English speakers the difference between few and several is not that obvious. I mean, i was kind of confusing these before. But definitely it's not 2.
That's how you can tell apart the people who played Heroes of Might & Magic from those who didn't. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
My guess would be $349.99 for the HMD, 2 Move controllers, Playstation Camera, and 2 games.

I could see it going all the way to $399.99. The price will be high, but they will try to increase perceived value by bundling in a bunch of stuff.
I don't think there's as much need for this to sell like consoles must right out of the gate - a slower burn with sales is likely in any case because this is a brand new market to plow, so they can afford to push the price a little higher for the time being.

I think pricing it higher than the PS4 itself would be a mistake, but anything up to $399 is probably fair game.

border

Ya know, I'm not sure how rail shooters work in VR. The fact that they take control away from you is usually a no-no, but I'm also not comfortable saying that it just wouldn't work.

EDIT: Actually, strike that. They work fine. Just remembered several examples.

Everybody seems to go nuts over those roller coaster VR demos. And what is a rail shooter, if not a roller coaster where you just point at things? It seems to be the most obvious type of game you could make in VR.

DieH@rd

Banned
Trackmania in VR could be both awesome and terrifying.

As for price comment, he could not say anything else. It will not be less than $200 anyway.

lol it's not going to be $199, you have to add in the camera/Move controllers

They should 100% offer basic SKU for ~2 million PS4 owners purchased PS4 camera.

Top Bottom