• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wired: Why Netflix's Luke Cage is the Superhero we really need right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

MODERN MARVEL:WHY NETFLIX’S LUKE CAGE IS THE SUPERHERO WE REALLY NEED NOW

lukecage3.jpg

Compared to his big-screen Marvel counterparts, like Iron Man and Thor, Netflix’s Luke Cage might seem like a low-stakes superhero. He isn’t out to save the universe, and he doesn’t wear a flashy costume; he rarely even uses his superpowers, which are presented more as a behavioral quirk than a defining characteristic of his personality. He’s deeply flawed, haunted by his past, and, as Colter says, might pick up women at a funeral. But that’s precisely what makes him so heroic. He’s working on it, struggling to accept himself in the face of a world that keeps pushing him toward invisibility. “So many times, black protagonists have to be holier than thou, but he’s not an angelic figure,” says John Singleton, the Boyz n the Hood director and a friend of Coker’s. “It’s the right time for this kind of hero. He’s so needed in the world.”

From the beginning, says Jeph Loeb, head of Marvel’s television division, the company was looking for someone who could not only entertain but also address issues of race: “What is going on in this country for blacks and whites, and how can we tell that story through the eyes of a superhero?” Marvel was in the midst of expanding its roster of nonwhite superheroes, including introducing a Muslim Ms. Marvel and a Latino Spider-Man. The company has since hired Ta-Nehisi Coates, author of the best-­selling Between the World and Me, to pen the newest adventures of Black Panther, the supergenius ruler of a fictional African nation. (That character will soon appear in a film directed by Ryan Coogler, who helmed Fruitvale Station, about a victim of police violence, and Creed, the heroic saga of Apollo Creed’s son.) Still, this was Marvel’s first attempt to create a series or film with a black protagonist at its center, a responsibility that Loeb took very seriously. “If we can get one person to watch the show and to think differently about what it is to be a hero in the present day, and what it is to be a black hero, then that’s a victory,” he says.

Coker developed a story about a prison escapee living anonymously in Harlem—until he’s unable to resist the responsibility to help his community.

Cage’s heroic journey is similarly personal. His mission isn’t to track down Doctor Doom like he did in the ’70s but to accept his responsibility to help defend Harlem from the many forces that threaten it. Coker says he was inspired to serve as showrunner when he realized the ramifications of a series about a black man with impenetrable skin and how that might empower him to take on both criminals and crooked authority figures. “The main reason people don’t speak out, their main fear, is getting shot,” Coker says. “So what happens if someone is bulletproof? What happens if you take that fear away? That changes the whole ecosystem.”

After finally accepting the part, Colter sat down with Loeb and Marvel’s chief creative officer, Joe Quesada, who impressed upon him the importance of bringing their first black superhero to the screen. “He means more to his fans than some young man who was bitten by a radioactive spider,” Loeb says. “We have a responsibility, more so than with any other character we’ve had so far, to make sure that we get it right.” Even before shooting began, Colter says, people began stopping him on the street to tell him how important Cage was to them. “They didn’t have any other character they could relate to, an American black guy from the streets,” Colter says. “That became important to me.”

So did the opportunity to work with a team of black producers and to address—even symbolically—issues of importance to the black community. At several points during the series, including during some of his most heroic moments, Cage can be seen wearing a hooded sweatshirt. To some extent, this makes sense for the character, who is on the run and trying to lie low. But it is also, Colter says, a nod to Trayvon Martin and the Black Lives Matter movement—and the idea that a black man in a hoodie isn’t necessarily a threat. He might just be a hero.

As Colter tells me this, it’s less than 48 hours since the shootings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, making them the 116th and 117th black men to die at the hands of police so far this year. In the national mourning that has followed, it’s naive to think that Luke Cage will do much to change that grim trajectory. But that’s not to say it can’t be meaningful in its own way. When I spoke with Coker, he told me about the first time he saw the trailer for Captain America: Civil War with his twin sons. “It was the first moment they saw Falcon”—another African American character—“and I looked at how they reacted. I still get emotional about it. When you come from the culture that you see onscreen, it inspires you in different ways. I grew up loving Luke Skywalker and Indiana Jones and Rocky. But they don’t look anything like me. They’re universal, and you get past that, but I can’t imagine what it would be like to be Italian and see Rocky. And when I saw my sons’ reaction to Falcon, that’s when I realized the importance of what we’re doing.”

Really great and long article at the link-HIGHLY recommended reading. I'm so excited for this series.

It's honestly one of the most timely superhero adaptations ever considering this summer alone with two majorly media shared black male shootings by police officers.

Gorillaz

Luke Cage is very right time right place thing right now

A lot of dudes weren't exactly checking for him like that. At least on the same level as panther in terms of black heros

Still hoping for a Black Avengers mpment...woth Black Panther, Monica, Blade, War Machine, Doc Voodoo, Cage (And Storm)

EDIT: All on the big screen

"who impressed upon him the importance of bringing their first black superhero to the screen"

Falcon, War Machine, and Black Panther am cry

Luke Cage is very right time right place thing right now

A lot of dudes weren't exactly checking for him like that. At least on the same level as panther in terms of black heros

I feel bad because growing up I viewed him as a sweet christmas joke...so I stuck with Panther.

Many may not like Bendis, I can't stand him lately, but I thank him for reintroducing him to me more positively.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
"who impressed upon him the importance of bringing their first black superhero to the screen"

Yeah that's strange. Unless they're referring to just the television shows, or just Marvel Studios' first project with a black lead. But the writer does mention earlier:

There have been African ­American super­heroes on our screens before—such as Wesley Snipes’ titular turn in Blade—but Luke Cage is the first to be surrounded by an almost completely black cast and writing team and whose powers and challenges are so explicitly linked to the black experience in America.

Slayven

If Bendis hadn't rescued and pushed Cage, no way there would be a show.

Cage is what Carol and Cyborg wish they were

Futureman

Black ex-con who is bulletproof and trying to save his neighborhood? I'm not a fan of superhero movies/TV but this sounds like it could be pretty cool.

It's also interesting to note how little black creators have been involved in Cage's history. AFAIK, there's the writer of his early 90s series, the writer and artist of the current Power Man and Iron Fist series, and now Coker.

I may be missing some artists, but I think that's it as far as the writing side goes.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

Well (at least in the MCU), Falcon and War Machine being black is sort of inconsequential to who they are as characters. They are superheroes who just happen to be black. Panther and Cage are black superheroes. Their racial and cultural background is a huge part of their character and identity. They are Wakanda and Harlem.

Black ex-con who is bulletproof and trying to save his neighborhood? I'm not a fan of superhero movies/TV but this sounds like it could be pretty cool.

I think this is gonna resonate with viewers big time and be an even bigger hit than Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Well (at least in the MCU), Falcon and War Machine being black is sort of inconsequential to who they are as characters. They are superheroes who just happen to be black. Panther and Cage are black superheroes. Their racial and cultural background is a huge part of their character and identity. They are Wakanda and Harlem.

Yeah I mean it's the same distinction we make with other things like black colleges.

But what about the black on black violence?

/s No one cared about the violence in Daredevil. Bring it on, and bring on Iron Fist.

Would be nice if they tackled the police brutality problem head-on. And I don't mean cops being on the payroll of a supervillain like in Daredevil. I mean inadequately trained cops committing state-sanctioned murder as a result of institutional racism. I'm probably asking too much from a superhero show but... would be nice.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I wish for a traffic stop scene. Raising awareness and all that.

He gives them a dehumanizing stare and they empty a clip into him. Then he just's just /smh "Bitch, please.".
If the writers really wanted to twist the knife they could have the cop be too busy texting his union rep to notice that Cage is still alive and go get a drop weapon to plant on him.

Yeah that's strange. Unless they're referring to just the television shows, or just Marvel Studios' first project with a black lead. But the writer does mention earlier:

I think they're referring to Luke Cage being their first hero in the comics, not their first hero in the MCU. Though I'm not even sure if that's true (it's either him or BP, but technically BP wasn't introduced as a hero).

Gorillaz

If Bendis hadn't rescued and pushed Cage, no way there would be a show.

Cage is what Carol and Cyborg wish they were

Like cyborg is really out there like that now. In some other universe/time, static would be the one killing it right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom