• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With Microsoft potentially going third-party, what will Nintendo do in response?

Interfectum

Nintendo before MS goes third party:

Cat Headphones GIF

Nintendo after MS goes third party:

Cat Headphones GIF

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Why would they do anything? If MS decides to release more games for the Switch 2, that's good for Nintendo. But they're not gonna DO anything.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t think they need to do much. They sell 140M+ units with a fraction of the 3rd party support MS/Sony gets. If MS go third party and start to support Nintendo with even more software, especially heavy hitters like CoD, that’ll only improve their current situation.

Unless the Ps6 is a hybrid console I don’t think Nintendo will have much to worry about. I think that the two-in-one concept is a huge part of the Switch’s success. A handheld only device/console only device will not be as much of a threat, if at all.

Last edited:

Ribi

nothing because their fans are like apple fans, they just buy whatever they get fed from the big machine.

Woopah

Their response will be to take a 30% cut from every Microsoft game on their platform. What other response are you expecting?

nothing because their fans are like apple fans, they just buy whatever they get fed from the big machine.
Then explain the Wii U.

Hudo

They don't have to do anything. Switch is still selling well, they have the strongest first-party in the industry by far and they're absolutely dominating Japan. I bet they're feeling pretty good right now at Nintendo.

If MS do back away it could give Nintendo space to make a higher spec console to rival Playstation while continuing their own thing.

Nintendo obviously have very a strong position in the Japanese market but with Sony and MS competing it didn't make sense for them to make a similar console thus missing out on the higher fidelity games and those that appeal in the west like FF, DMC, Souls games and many more for 20 years.

With how Nintendo have the rest of the Japanese market in that time, them creating a Playstation spec rival could see the games they don't have quickly come over and really give Sony a difficult time.

MS presence in a way help Sony and crowd out the HD or High Fidelity gaming space. With how much games cost now I think SE and others are looking to Nintendo's new hardware anyway.

bender

What time is it?
...but, but, but, Nintendo and Xbox don't compete with each other and something, something, high end console market.

Mitsurux

The only thing Nintendo should be worrying about at this time, it that they have Extremely clear marketing for their next system. Good name, What it is, what it does (Portable hybrid or something else), where if fits in (in) relation to the existing switch ecosystem etc.

Woopah

If MS do back away it could give Nintendo space to make a higher spec console to rival Playstation while continuing their own thing.

Nintendo obviously have very a strong position in the Japanese market but with Sony and MS competing it didn't make sense for them to make a similar console thus missing out on the higher fidelity games and those that appeal in the west like FF, DMC, Souls games and many more for 20 years.

With how Nintendo have the rest of the Japanese market in that time, them creating a Playstation spec rival could see the games they don't have quickly come over and really give Sony a difficult time.

MS presence in a way help Sony and crowd out the HD or High Fidelity gaming space. With how much games cost now I think SE and others are looking to Nintendo's new hardware anyway.
With the diminishing returns we are seeing, I think Nintendo's plan is to put out a hybrid console that is powerful enough to get the majority of third party games anyway.

Don’t get me wrong, I think they are happy to have games like Forza, Indy and Fable on their console. But it doesn’t matter to them in any substantial way.

Last edited:
What they are doing is working - they are number 1 or close to everywhere. They aren't suddenly going to increase Super Switch's RAM to get MS - owned games. They'll play it safe, build up their war chest further, and make more money than ever before thanks to theme parks and movies on top of their gaming exclusives.

Hunnybun

My main response to all this turmoil is basically 'does that mean I can have my Nintendo back now?' The one that made proper cutting edge consoles and amazing games like Ocarina of Time?

I guess my hope now is that they release a souped-up home only version of the Switch 2 that's roughly on par with the PS5 (maybe beyond it given they have access to DLSS). Basically something that plays Switch 2 games but in 4k. It's a long shot, but then somebody's bound to step in and compete with Sony, so they seem like the obvious contender.

Kikorin

Nintendo IPs are their true force and until today they underutilized them with how conservative have been. But with Disney doing anything possible to destroy their legacy and Nintendo starting to jump in the movie scene, in next years the popularity of their IPs will be off the charts, even a lot more than now. They just have to follow their path and will be fine.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Considering Xbox didn't do anything to Nintendo I don't know why they would need to respond

proandrad

Nintendo doesn't doesn't even believe they are in the same business. They will just keep doing Nintendo things.

They'll do what's best for their business (and their fans). Same as Sony.

And same as Microsoft is trying to do.

These companies aren't planning multi-year strategies out around each other as much as some folks think.

I'm not sure.

Imagine a portable PS5 that plays every game in your PS library? That would sell insane numbers.

That's basically what the "Vita 2" rumors are; a portable PS4/PS5 (more likely PS4 or PS4 Pro in terms of raw specs).

Probably with combination of some opt-in for devs to scale games to run natively on it if they want, cloud stream & Remote Play non-native games, and maybe even some "secret sauce" to auto-scale games down to run well on the platform without needing devs to do it themselves (this would be big).

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Out of the big 3, Nintendo is the only one that is never influenced and does it's own thing. I don't think they will worry.

RGB'D

Probably just let the high end gaming system destroy itself through bloat and price increases. The younger generations don't care about consoles anyways.

Top Bottom