• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

I just started playing this and just got through the beginning of the game...

Wow am I surprised! Way better than I thought it would be. The gameplay just feels great. I like how they reward you for playing a certain way. They somehow made it not feel like just another FPS. If the story actually holds up throughout the whole game
Its got me hooked so far,
it'll probably be one of the most enjoyable FPS I've played to date.

Bumhead

Banned
Just
captured the U-Boat

The fight in the room at the end if this section made me want to scream. Closest I've come so far to knocking the difficulty down from Uber, but I refrained. Just seemed like there was no real logic or rhyme or reason to it. Wherever you stood and wherever you went felt surrounded, outgunned and stuck. Not to mention shrapnel fire. Took me a good 15+ attempts to do it.

Roughly how far am I from the end?

Levyne

Banned
Looks like Arkane studios sent MachineGames a little gift. Random, but I thought it was a cute gesture.

GMiQ0Vi.jpg

I wonder what the cake tastes like.

Just
captured the U-Boat

The fight in the room at the end if this section made me want to scream. Closest I've come so far to knocking the difficulty down from Uber, but I refrained. Just seemed like there was no real logic or rhyme or reason to it. Wherever you stood and wherever you went felt surrounded, outgunned and stuck. Not to mention shrapnel fire. Took me a good 15+ attempts to do it.

Roughly how far am I from the end?

Maybe 3 or 4 hours. I struggled on that fight as well.

matmanx1

Looks like Arkane studios sent MachineGames a little gift. Random, but I thought it was a cute gesture.

GMiQ0Vi.jpg

I wonder what the cake tastes like.

Maybe 3 or 4 hours. I struggled on that fight as well.

I juuust finished that part. It required a lot of running around and using cover and quick charges of the LKW. Of course, once I figured out how many goodies were upstairs it got a whole lot easier.

By the way, shrapnel is sick in this game. Some of the hit reactions to it are just devastating.

MarkusRJR

I've never really played any ID games before (I know about them but never got around to trying any of them since I'm not a big fan of FPS games), but I saw some footage of this game and kind of want to try it.

I heard this game is a sequel. Which game is the first in the timeline/reboot? Is it Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Wolfenstein 360/PS3? I assumed it was Wolfenstein 360/PS3 but Wikipedia says that game is a sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Kind of confused.

EBE

I heard this game is a sequel. Which game is the first in the timeline/reboot? Is it Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Wolfenstein 360/PS3? I assumed it was Wolfenstein 360/PS3 but Wikipedia says that game is a sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Kind of confused.

both. wolf 09 is a sequel to return.

Zushin

I've never really played any ID games before (I know about them but never got around to trying any of them since I'm not a big fan of FPS games), but I saw some footage of this game and kind of want to try it.

Kind of confused.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is the first in this timeline.

Edit: and like EBE said, Wolf09 is a sequel to Return.

Zushin

Is Return to Castle Wolfenstein required playing? I'm worried it'll be kind of outdated feeling, while the 2009 game will be more modern feeling.

No, it's not required. However I think you should play it just because its a great game and holds up pretty well I think.

EBE

Is Return to Castle Wolfenstein required playing? I'm worried it'll be kind of outdated feeling, while the 2009 game will be more modern feeling.

neither return nor 09 are required playing but i think theyre both fantastic so you might still want to give them a shot.

story wise there is really only one character from 09 that is in new order, but her role and relationship to BJ in those other games dont play too large a part in this game. a comment or two made in passing is all it is.

Vibranium

Banned
Right, I have been holding off posting but I'm on Chapter 14 and I'm so damn happy I don't really read reviews anymore. Amazing game and it has really gotten me back into the (singleplayer, my favourite) FPS, I love the collectibles, gunplay, cutscenes, etc. Blaskowicz's thoughts and reactions are. I really like how B.J. reacts to the world. Man I hope it sells enough for a sequel, with hopefully no shoehorned competitive multiplayer (online co-op would be fine).

Also, the Vault 101 easter egg was great haha, so much teasing for Fallout...

Cubed

I'm really glad it seems to have sold well. I'm typing this as I'm watching the ending credits go by. Such an amazing game. Probably in my top five first-person shooters ever. If only the graphics could match the gameplay and story this would've been a perfect game in my view. That said, the graphics aren't horrible, but it's such a mix of bad to average with only a few certain instances where the game looks amazing.

Time to play the other timeline!

soultron

Banned
Holy shit I totally forgot there was a Wolf that came out in 2009. I wonder if it's on Steam. I might play it after I finish this. Loving it so far. About to go capture
the U-boat.

Am I the only person using the silenced pistol and knives whenever possible? Almost have all of the stealth perks unlocked. Throwing a knife to kill a guy while you simultaneously come up behind another guy for a takedown makes you feel like such a badass.

soultron

Banned
Nope. Licensing issues after Zenimax acquired everything.

Frig. I just watched some gameplay and it looks neat, albeit nowhere near as visually strong as TNO, in terms of art direction.

There were dudes floating in the air in a train station being bombarded by blue fissures. It was cool.

DieH@rd

Banned
Just arrived on Chapter 16. Today will be a good day [if I dont get too frustrated with Uber difficulty :D]. :D

Chp 14 boss. How do I get under? Last portion of fight. I think you know what I mean? This stage has been the weakest in what is otherwise an entirely amazing game.

Just shoot it in
the eye with railgun to stun him, and then just run and put just one shot in his "engine" hole. You need to do this just twice and he will explode.
That fight is really easy, I did it in one try on Uber.

Also, the Vault 101 easter egg was great haha, so much teasing for Fallout...

What teaser is that?

I sort of understand why they didn't want to use Hitler as the final boss. I mean, after you've killed the Ultimate Baddie™ who is there to kill in the sequel that will possibly top him? Still odd to only mention him a few times in a game that extrapolates on the events of WWII.

There's always
disfigured Frau Engel, who now hates BJ with every fibre of her being after he killed her boy-toy as she helplessly looked on.

I think they should build up to Hitler, have the next game continue to be about the slowly loosening grip of the Nazi stranglehold with the third game where you hunt down Hitler as he attempts to escape.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Played for an hour and a half and am really enjoying this game. Love the alternate history stuff.

It's too bad about the performance. I get 60 fps until I move a bit and the game chops from loading textures until it settles back down again. I'm on an SSD and the loading times are pretty long and if I spin the mouse fast enough I still see textures load. This was the same story for Rage, honestly.

I think it's safe to say that id tech 5 is pretty damn awful when it comes to first person shooters. I imagine it would be fine with a slower paced game.

notBald

neither return nor 09 are required playing but i think theyre both fantastic so you might still want to give them a shot.

I tried out RTCW for the first time (while waiting for TNO to unlock). It may have been a great in its day, but it has aged. I had some fun but I think nostalgia glasses are a must.

Holy shit I totally forgot there was a Wolf that came out in 2009. I wonder if it's on Steam. I might play it after I finish this.

You'll have to hunt down a used copy. I'm afraid the game's in legal limbo.

Goddamn this last fight on uber. Goddamn. Stuck for an hour.

You probably know this, but the trick is to
shoot him in the head until he does his pain animation. While he's in pain he's invulnerable, so save your ammo and get to cover.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finally wrapped it up. Took me 23 hours on Uber.

Some scatterbrained thoughts:

Had a really shaky start at first with that rail shooting sequence. Head a line of something coming right at us, couldn't see shit, and kept dying. Sudden cuts to the cutscenes which visually look a lot different, stuff like that took some adjusting to. But the later half of chapter 1 started getting good, and then after the skip happens it keeps ramping up from there with some neat scenarios. It gets a little long in the tooth by chapter 16 but it wasn't a huge deal. I think the bigger issue at the end is just the enemy makeups as it starts to throw too many of the big enemy types at you at once, and they don't have good synergy together. Turning a corner and seeing those shotgun assholes along with a giant robot and a laser gattling spinning at you leads into hiding a bit too much, and I personally relied on the LKW here more than I would have liked as I started to feel tethered to the recharge stations. The shotgun guys in general were especially the biggest threat as those dudes can just down you like nothing if they're close. The final boss is pretty eh, but I only died once on it so it didn't stick out too much.
Mainly just circle strafed around to the recharge stations as I peppered him. At one point I couldn't see shit with all the fire, which was the bigger problem there.

The arsenal you get was fun to mess around with and the combat is a blast. Dual shotguns were my personal favorite as they just shredded hallways up, and when you mix that with Shrapnel bouncing around...it's beautiful. Assault rifles were solid throughout and the rocket launcher was very useful in the later encounters. The marksman didn't do a whole lot for me as the accuracy on the AR is perfectly fine, and the pistol is already an amazing stealth sniper. The LKW becomes a fucking monster and was satisfying as hell.

Stealth is super easy and the AI barely acknowledges it. They don't seem to react at all to dead bodies, and despite having lines when they see you, they don't come to investigate and stay on their path. This makes them simple to exploit and clear the rooms with the god pistol and instant death crumple knife. Can't say it bothered me as it was still enjoyable to pull this off and was a decent palate cleanser from the carnage, and I liked setting up ambushes with the LKW to disintegrate some of the stronger enemies.

While the game itself isn't much of a looker, they built a believable alternate reality Nazi controlled world here and the atmosphere is done well throughout. Helped by a fitting soundtrack composed by the based god Mick Gordon even if the mix is all fucky.

I don't really have a whole lot to say about it, but it really was the most genuinely enjoyable FPS campaign I've played since Bulletstorm. A long, well paced adventure that's simply supported by a fun backbone. I'm actually really looking forward to turning the difficulty down, hunting down the rest of the collectibles and rip through the enemies with the upgraded weapons.

Oh, and Uber wasn't as 'easy' as I expected though maybe it's down to not being on PC with a mouse. There were a solid handful of really tough segments in the back half of the game, and looking in the stats I see I've died 108 times which is actually not too far off my Dark Souls 2 playthrough. Though I did suicide runs at various points to check off perks so it's inflated a bit.

Chabbles

What a great game. Finished it a few hours ago on Death incarnate. Damn near perfection for what it went for. Start to finish the flow was solid, great cutscenes and characters, amazing voice action, good story, great gameplay/gunplay.. its refreshing to get a game like this with the sort of quality it offers from beginning to end with no let up.. Theres very few flaws in this game, audio being one. The music and voice track could of really used a separate volume dial in the options, the music and atmosphere drowns out the dialog a lot.. And the aiming, at times felt like a struggle (PS4), acceleration made the aiming feel wonky at times, and auto aim was annoying when trying to line up headshots at close range on a moving target, sometimes the crosshair would get stuck and unresponsive when aiming down the sights.. and to the nitpicking, some of the texture work was low quality, along with the AA, it would of been nice to have gotten the visuals a little more consistent in the few areas where they lacked.. can be easily overlooked though when a game is this fun.

Favorite game this gen by far.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Surprisingly fantastic game so far. It's.. NOT what I expected going in.

I wish they had the entire original Wolf 3D as an unlockable. (Maybe they do, haven't beaten the game yet)

Oh, and Uber wasn't as 'easy' as I expected though maybe it's down to not being on PC with a mouse. There were a solid handful of really tough segments in the back half of the game, and looking in the stats I see I've died 108 times which is actually not too far off my Dark Souls 2 playthrough. Though I did suicide runs at various points to check off perks so it's inflated a bit.

20 or so of my deaths are just me messing around for gifs.

"Stupid way to die"
irO30uXjKtg0U.gif

ic3n2ng4btcNt.gif

iuDCUbRAydUi6.gif

KORNdoggy

Surprisingly fantastic game so far. It's.. NOT what I expected going in.

I wish they had the entire original Wolf 3D as an unlockable. (Maybe they do, haven't beaten the game yet)

i don't think they do (i've 100%'d it and not got anything) i'd even be ok with just main menu access to the "nightmare" mini-game tbh.

Spineker

Banned
End game question though: what do you guys think?
What happened to Frau Engel? Maybe some DLC?

Easily.
She was pissed after we killed her Bubi.
getting to watch her reaction was an amazing moment.

Probably my favorite moment of the game though came in the prologue surprisingly,
when you have to read the code to open the secret area with the 3 levers that is written in German.
My mother taught me to read 1 through 10 in German at a very young age, so it came to me straight away and led to a great moment of fulfilling.

Wait, is this game a sequel(story wise) to 2009's Wolfenstein? I was under the impression that it ignored all other Wolfenstein games except 3D, but Wikipedia says it takes place 3 years after Wolf09. I'd really like to know before I buy this game.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wait, is this game a sequel(story wise) to 2009's Wolfenstein? I was under the impression that it ignored all other Wolfenstein games except 3D, but Wikipedia says it takes place 3 years after Wolf09. I'd really like to know before I buy this game.

It's a standalone game, but some characters from older games return.

Moff

actually its the other way round. wolf3d is not part of the wolfenstein lore anymore, while RTCW, wolf09 and TNO are all direct sequels with the same characters.

Just beat last boss. Trick was a combination of weapons. Took him down much faster.

Great ending. Great characters. Just amazing overall.

The last boss took me a while because I didn't do that -- use a combination of weapons. Once I did, it wasn't that hard to take him out.

Anyways, I agree, what a great game. Maybe it was because I was expecting so much less, or maybe it was because it was a mix of new and old and sci-fi, but I loved just about every moment in this game.

antitrop

I wasn't really feeling the first few hours of Watch_Dogs, so I started my second playthrough of this.

Still head over heels in love.

aro52

Finished! Great game overall, but what was with the difficulty spike of chapter 14 onward?! Maybe it was because I had been playing mostly stealth up to that point and it becomes intense forced combat for the last 3 chapters, but it felt really sudden.

Wow, I was not expecting this game to be good...but now I really want to get this after reading all of your impressions. I love me a good singleplayer FPS.

I wasn't really feeling the first few hours of Watch_Dogs, so I started my second playthrough of this.

Still head over heels in love.

I'm enjoying the second playthrough even more - finding a lot more secret passages and alternate routes through the level. Gameplay is still amazing.

EBE

Wait, you guys
killed Bubi?
I just left.

Going to be starting my third playthrough (uber) for the final achievement.

Top Bottom