• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein: The New Order |OT| They put Nazis on the Moon, Scheiß auf den Mond!

Interfectum

Thanks to GAF hype, I bought the game last week to play over the long weekend. I just got past the
lunar base
but I gotta say it's one of the best games I've played in a long time. The gunplay, the story, everything about it is top notch. I expected to be indifferent about the generic main character but even he has a lot of personality and is extremely likable.

I really can't praise this game enough. It's one of those games that you play and you think to yourself "this is why I still tolerate this hobby and all the BS that comes with it."

theytookourjobz

I know this might be the most impartial place to ask but I'm wavering on picking up my Watch Dogs preorder. Sounds like more open world shit that I hate. I really like shooters so should I just get Wolfenstein instead? How long is it?

Also, will I be alright with it on the Xb1? Like that controller better for shooters.

rSpooky

I know this might be the most impartial place to ask but I'm wavering on picking up my Watch Dogs preorder. Sounds like more open world shit that I hate. I really like shooters so should I just get Wolfenstein instead? How long is it?

Also, will I be alright with it on the Xb1? Like that controller better for shooters.

It is a freat game, I just finished it ( well the first main storyline at least) last night. I would say it is a 12-15 hr game which is great compared to many other games out there. But be sure to check out all the hidden secrets and story telling components such as music, pictures, news articles etc.

I have the PS4 version, but I am sure the XB1 version will be fine, I have not read anything negative about it.

If you pick it up.. enjoy :)

Zushin

Its an awesome game. I just finished on the hardest difficulty and collected most of the stuff. Took me about 17-18 hours.

No idea about the X1 controller as I play on PC.

Spineker

Banned
Just finished it awhile ago. All that stands between me and the Platinum is chapter 16 on Uber.

The game is indeed amazing. The gunplay is awesome, the violence is over the top satisfying, the cover mechanics work great, the enemy variety was solid and the story was suitably done.
Didn't expect BJ to bite it. Sets up some interesting DLC. Anya's Revenge?

Have to agree about the final boss though. Pretty boring, if not stupidly designed.
All that fire in the second section
was a bit over the top.
Killing Deathshead
was satisfying though,
yet he still got his own way in the end.

Fotos

Just finished it awhile ago. All that stands between me and the Platinum is chapter 16 on Uber.

The game is indeed amazing. The gunplay is awesome, the violence is over the top satisfying, the cover mechanics work great, the enemy variety was solid and the story was suitably done.

Have to agree about the final boss though. Pretty boring, if not stupidly designed.
was a bit over the top.
Killing Deathshead
was satisfying though,

I really doubt that BJ is dead. They don't actually show him dying and after the credits you can hear a helicopter hinting at him getting picked up.

gstaff

Does anyone have the answer for this? I'm playing on PS4 and got it patched, so I don't think I could just do the last chapter and get it.

I'm told you will get the achievement

just got a 7gb update are they fucking kidding me

Why are the updates so big if it's for a minor update? I'm not a tech guy, but it was explained to me that you can't just add little bit of data here and there for this game. If you're making a change to the game, you're impacting a larger chunk of the game. Best analogy I can think of is your dresser and its drawers. Even if I'm just want to put clean socks in one drawer, the title update requires that we replace the entire drawer.

epmode

I love this game, GAF. I feel like came out of nowhere, too! I knew it was an id game but I didn't expect much after Rage. I had no idea that MachineGames was Riddick-era Starbreeze.

JNT

Chapter 16 spoilers

Don't know if it was just me but I thought the whole "brain inside a machine" thing was hinting so hard at Mecha Hitler. Like maybe the purpose of the program was to allow Hitler to live forever inside a machine or something. I was expecting the victory over Fergus/Wyatt to be a fluke because their loyalty to B.J. was holding them back, and Deathshead would try with another brain (Hitler's) that clearly hates B.J. End fanfic.

That would have made sense, sure, but at that point it would have been too late to introduce a new villain within the context of the game given that there was virtually no mention of him earlier in the game. Sequel maybe?

Metal-Geo

They can't not be working on some form or DLC... There's just so much left for this game to explore. I was secretly hoping we'd
get a level in one of those zeppelins. They were all over the place. Felt like a such an obvious choice for a level

dhonk

Huge fan of the Starbreeze shooters these guys worked on, but I just know I downloading it would hit my data cap this month. :/ Not a fan of these game sizes lately. And for only marginally better looking games.

Awesome. Even though that's the combined sales score for 5 platforms, hopefully game will sell well and enable Machine Games to make another game. I would be incredibly bummed if they dont get chance to continue working.

CVG reports more details about 1st week Wolfenstein UK sales:
PS4 38%
Xbone 31%
X360 12%
PC 11%
PS3 8% [not listed, but that's the percentage that is missing for reaching 100%]
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/464902/uk-chart-wolfenstein-enjoys-2nd-biggest-release-of-2014/

11% PC... damn...
expected the # to be higher

One of these days I hope to understand the allure of cheesing or boosting your way to a trophy.

The whole point of them is to show off an actual gaming related achievement, right?

No sir, I don't get it.
I'm still waiting to give a shit about trophies... nevermind, no i'm not.

I'm still waiting to give a shit about trophies... nevermind, no i'm not.
I always try for some on my subsequent playthroughs - the fun ones anyway. I also usually appreciate collectible ones as I do like to explore a game's world super thoroughly - there's almost always something to appreciate.

dark_chris

I noticed for a split second, I'm getting a "Get Psyched!" screen when its loading a level.
And by the way, the game is amazing! I love it and haven't had this much fun with a FPS since the N64 days.

Chapter 11. Contains spoilers.

Fuuuuuck this chapter. Geebus. I don't know if the difficulty spikes or if I suddenly got really shitty or what.
That second wave of enemies just ruined me. I walked into the room at the back with health at 20 thinking the siren was a sound glitch. Nerp! Just another round of naval officers waiting for me. I was hoping against hope it would restart me at the door of that room. Nerp. Right back to the ventilation system.

addyb

was a bit over the top.
Killing Deathshead
was satisfying though,

Oh ffs I accidentally revealed that spoiler. I'm @ chapter 12.

Denzar

Wow, this game has no right being this good? I just finished it and loved it to bits. Lenghty, diverse, good looking, fun, great characters, amazing soundtrack, decent story... If you had told me 4 years ago that a Wolfenstein game ended up this good, I would have died laughing. Great on Machine Games for proving me wrong. And how! My GOTY so far.

End game question though: what do you guys think?
What happened to Frau Engel? Maybe some DLC?

Grisby

Finished. Final boss was eeehhh but I only had to die a dozen times on the final deal before beating it. The stage trick was a little annoying though.

I can't believe the game made me care somewhat for a guy named BJ Blasko-guy. Really, the whole story is well done and it's hard to believe a Wolfenstien game might be in the top year running for characters and plot. The ending was short but I felt like it did what it needed to do. I guess I'm disappointed that I don't get to spend some more time with the other characters, considering they were built up pretty decently for a FPS.

Super fun time. The shooting and enemy encounters were great. The devs clearly know when to let the player breath in each level which leads to higher octane moments feeling, well, what they are intended to feel like.

My only issue is the reliance on energy weapons in the back half of the game. I played on Death Incarnate so you also couldn't go hog wild for fear of being torn to pieces. Lots of cover usage but it was still fun. Oh, and that the audio was low and that it was hard to get background items sometimes with the controller.

If you are an FPS fan then this is a game that is not to be missed. Top marks. Wolfenstien is a game that nails the shooting and pacing aspects while also delivering a well realized world.

Metal-Geo

Anyone noticed Bobby's car keychain?

dSww3PF.png

hNfTzLs.png

There's also a Wolf 3D title screen on
a computer in one of the cabins in the lunar base chapter.

Mr Swine

Banned
That would have made sense, sure, but at that point it would have been too late to introduce a new villain within the context of the game given that there was virtually no mention of him earlier in the game. Sequel maybe?

Well the game mentions hitler a few times on the news paper clips so he is alive. Heck, even in RTCW Himmler had to report back to hitler

Dawg

Anyone got an idea where I can find the buildup music from chapter 16? The music you hear while going through the halls etc.

It was pretty gud.

Chapter 13 spoilers, I suppose.

Currently bouncing on the lunar surface. The music is so beautifully retro scifi and love the atmosphere even though I'm about to be indoors in a bit.

Tizoc

EDIT: OK fixed the graphics issues but now I have screen tearing to deal with, even with vsync on, the thing won't go away ugh.

JNT

Well the game mentions hitler a few times on the news paper clips so he is alive. Heck, even in RTCW Himmler had to report back to hitler

I sort of understand why they didn't want to use Hitler as the final boss. I mean, after you've killed the Ultimate Baddie™ who is there to kill in the sequel that will possibly top him? Still odd to only mention him a few times in a game that extrapolates on the events of WWII.

Dawg

I sort of understand why they didn't want to use Hitler as the final boss. I mean, after you've killed the Ultimate Baddie™ who is there to kill in the sequel that will possibly top him?

b-but he could have returned as mecha hitler in the sequel!

Enjoying this game more from chapter to chapter. The beginning was pretty weak in my oppinion, but after getting more into the well-told the story everythng changed.

No game is perfect, neither is this one. It definitely has some serious flaws. First of all the A.I. I really had some moments, especially in scenarios where enemies were only equipped with melee weapons, where it was close to total failure. Also the search and destroy behavior when you've been spottet or hiding was definitely better and more fun in its predecessor from 2009. Also this alarm system where you have to kill the commanding officer first and afterwards everything is safe without reinforcements comming is a bit simplistic.

Also the engine is really a strange one. In some levels I would come close to say that this is one of the best visuals I have ever seen, and then (especially the first levels) Id-Tech5 looks like a total next-gen failure.

Even if those comments sound partly devastating, it's still a damn good game. Have not finished it yet, but I can't wait for the final battle :)

Moff

I sort of understand why they didn't want to use Hitler as the final boss. I mean, after you've killed the Ultimate Baddie™ who is there to kill in the sequel that will possibly top him? Still odd to only mention him a few times in a game that extrapolates on the events of WWII.
I find the whole wolfenstein lore oddly fascinating
while playing the new order I was sure hitler was dead, i somehow assumed you killed him in wolf3d, which made other people lead the reich, which made the nazis win the war.

hitler is never mentioned anywhere in the games since wolf3d. in the RTCW outro himmler is called back, the "führer" is expecting him. in the newspapers in TNO hitler is never mentioned, its always "führer".
sure, he is present in the wolf franchise, there are dozens of hitler paintings in RTCW and in wolf2009, and a guard says heil hitler in TNO. but none of these point to him actually being still alive.

this made me somehow believe that deathshead is the führer in TNO. in the kreisau circle hierarchy map on the wall of the base, deathshead is at the top. sure, this might just be a hiearchy of the supernatural or science division the kreisau circle wants to take down, but I still find it odd that hitler is never ever mentioned by name.

now thats what I thought while playing the game. after that I read up on it on the wolf wiki, and apparently wolf3d is an alternate timeline where killing hitler lead to the allies winning the war, which somehow destroys my whole theory. well, I prefer it anyway and will do so until I actually see hitler in a wolf game again.

Tizoc

Flop1Ym.png

In-game Vsync did nothing for me, NVidia control panel fixed it though.

Heh managed to fix the VSync issue. Speaking of which, anyone tried that fix for 60 FPS while playing on Ultra settings?

ATM I made it to
London Nautica
How far am I from the end of the game?

Top Bottom