• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would Guerrilla/Sony let the Decima engine on Xbox?

This honestly just makes me wonder: Has there ever been a case of an engine developed for a console exclusive being shared with third parties, particularly who then develop on other platforms?

Because that's what the OP is essentially asking for, and I don't think I've ever seen anything like that outside of romhacks.

I can't think of another case like this but, then again, this is an extreme situation. The variables that led to modern Kojima Productions, Death Stranding, and the Decima engine don't have an equivalent in the history of the industry.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
No, I don't think valuable intellectual property will be used to make products for the competition.

Even if this impossible thing turned out to be possible, Xbox isn't exactly setting the woods on fire in terms of ecosystem diversity. Current Microsoft isn't pushing hard on this front, in fact studio closures and game cancellations suggest the exact opposite.

On the bright side, I feel really good about State of Decay 2. Can't wait to see more.

Cleve

There's way more to licensing an engine than just handing a dev the source code. They would have to provide tons of documentation and also provide support for whoever would be licensing it. Guerrilla would have to do all that work and I bet they are more than busy doing exactly what I described with Kojima Productions.

The documentation also probably includes internal details and relies on libraries licensed/owned by Sony.

Memento

I'm 50:50 on it, but yeah that is a big factor.

Maybe they've agreed that a PC version will come later, but to not discuss it any more until it's already out on PS4.

If Sony owns the IP though, as the trademarks indicates, there is zero reasons for it to be releasing on PC.

FelipeMGM

There's really no question imo about a PC version. Sony would have shouted it from the rooftops if Death Stranding was a full exclusive, they never said that. Sony always said console exclusive.

they never said anything really, you cant find any SIE personal saying on the record its console exclusive either,

all we know its they are funding, publishing and own the trademark at the moment. That does not exclude a PC version tho (Helldivers, Rapture were the same cases and were released later on PC), just doesnt indicate one right now

I did find strange too that after beeing separated from his creations at Konami, Kojima would sign a deal that put the IP on the hands of the publisher again, but IDK he seems happy

Hypothetically, if they decided to open up and let any licenced developer use the engine ala Phyre Engine then Sony would probably let devs port games using it to Xbox but Sony themselves wont be helping with it other then providing a version of the engine for that works on PC.

But I dont think Sony would really be getting into that game. Whats the point of a technically advanced engine if you also dont have the support team to support all the develoeprs world wide using it? It is why Unreal took over the world for a while there and the same with Unity and why CryEngine failed and why developers moved away from iD tech pre Bethesda buyout.

If Sony owns the IP though, as the trademarks indicates, there is zero reasons for it to be releasing on PC.

You say that, but I'm pretty sure Sony also owns the IP's for Helldivers and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and ...
(Haven't looked it up, but I remember something like that.)

Again, Sony always said console-exclusive and every time they said that on stage for a game, there was always a PC release.

KORNdoggy

Not a chance in hell.

What I'm more curious about, is will MS with its "focus on first party" and a console as powerful as the Scorpio be able to match the graphical fidelity of something like horizon? It'll be interesting to see.

eerik9000

Unless their publishing agreement with Kojima Productions states otherwise, of course. Sony owns the IPs of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and Helldivers, and published both on PC.

IC5

Death Stranding is not a third party game. And the engine also is not third party, like the Fox Engine was.

I think Kojima is a free agent. But, if he puts a game on Xbox, it will be a different I.P. With a different engine.

madjoki

What a weird question, Sony isn't Microsoft they don't allow their proprietary tech on other platforms like Microsoft has a history of doing.

Phyre supports Xbox tho.

Having a engine that 1th party games can use if they wish is a lot easier to support then a open for all multiplatform engine.

Actually making engine strictly for one platform is bad. It's a lot easier to add another platform (PS5) if it was at least designed to support multplaforms.

It all depends on contracts between Sony & Kojima. IP ownership means nothing, both Helldivers & Everybody's Gone to Rapture, got PC versions despite being Sony IP. (altough these are waay smaller that Kojima game will be).

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Whats up with these threads....first PS Now on Switch now Decima on Xbox...lol.

Playsage

I'd worry more about Kojima having to go back on his word about a PC port of Death Stranding

Sony's bait game was on point

DieH@rd

Banned
PhyreEngine is on Xbox360 and Xbox One (and android, iOS and windows)... Though Decima seems very unlikely

That engine was offered for free by Sony to reduce frustration devs experienced with exotic PS3 architecture.

Decima and every other Sony 1st party engine is a different story.

MS does not need Decima.
Yeah, priority of MS devs is to get approval to build new and original games. Their engines and tools are fine, and they can improve them as they see fit.

Markoman

First of all Ms would need a new AAA studio that will work with Decima. I don't think 343 or Black Tusk would change their engine at this point.

FelipeMGM

Again, Sony always said console-exclusive and every time they said that on stage for a game, there was always a PC release.

Im not fighting the PC possibility here, it can happen. But Sony never came on record to say Death Stranding is console exclusive, your wording makes it sound they are left and right talking how this is a console exclusive, when in fact they are not talking about it at all

Huh, really? But they'll release it on PS4 and PC right?

they never officially confirmed it, so who knows

EDIT: welp they actually have, I stand corrected

Sony themselves have been calling it console exclusive since the beginning.

https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2016/160614a.html

At this moment we can say it is coming to PC.

Nephtes

This honestly just makes me wonder: Has there ever been a case of an engine developed for a console exclusive being shared with third parties, particularly who then develop on other platforms?

Because that's what the OP is essentially asking for, and I don't think I've ever seen anything like that outside of romhacks.

Wasn't Demon's Souls developed using a Sony PS3 reference engine, which was then used and modified to make Dark Souls which appeared on X360?

I could be wrong, but I seem remember Digital Foundry mentioning something during the PS3/X360 comparisons about how they were curious about Sony's tech running on Xbox...

Edit: yup. The PhyreEngine people seem to be mentioning made Dark Souls... And it was a Sony made engine.

I totally expect Death Stranding to be PS5 anyway so dont run out and get a PS4 for this game yet but I have strong doubts it ever comes to PC.

The only mention of it was a Medium post of all thing that has quickly deleted when the Kojima x Sony deal was announced.

Maybe in the next 5 years while the game is being made someone will get a chance to confirm or deny it I guess.

Wasn't Demon's Souls developed using a Sony PS3 reference engine, which was then used and modified to make Dark Souls which appeared on X360?

I could be wrong, but I seem remember Digital Foundry mentioning something during the PS3/X360 comparisons about how they were curious about Sony's tech running on Xbox...

PhyreEngine, you mean.

21x2

Of course not.

Even if they didn't own and fund the engine, using it for Xbox games wouldn't make any sense. The engine has only been used to make PS4 games and would be completely optimized for the PS4. Even though the architecture of the two consoles is more similar than ever, there's lots of platform specific optimization going on for AAA games. And no one has experience working on Decima outside of the Guerilla studios and KojiPro, making hiring expert talent really hard.

If you're going to use someone else's engine, you'd be going Unreal 4.

Can you not see where I'm going with my line of questioning. I'm basically trying to determine whether or not we see kojipro game on the Xbox. From the sounds of things as long as the decima engine is used then no we won't.

Well why didnt you just ask that in the first place?

Circinus

If there's demand for it and if they could make money by making licenses available for it and/or if they think it's worth doing to make development easier/more appealing by to PlayStation platforms by being cross-platform.

SIEE's PhyreEngine is also already free to use and is cross-platform with PC, Xbox, Android and iOS.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If there's demand for it and if they could make money by making licenses available for it and/or if they think it's worth doing to make development easier/more appealing by to PlayStation platforms by being cross-platform.

SIEE's PhyreEngine is also already free to use and is cross-platform with PC, Android and iOS.
PhyreEngine was a different case though. It was designed to be an easy to use tool for small teams. Decima is designed for large scale AAA games and requires a lot more tech support and knowledge. Guerrilla had to form a team to support KojiPro with it and both games have similar tech needs on the same platform.

For Decima to even work as a large scale licensed engine, Guerrilla would need to have a huge support team. I expect the smaller team that they currently have will remain in place for collaborative projects but I don't think it will expand much beyond that.

jjonez18

Sony and the Decima engine are probably just a jumping off point for Kojima Pro. Once they've made Death Stranding and secured enough profit to venture out on their own then Kojima will probably branch off and create his own engine or move to one of the bigger ones. So, no to Decima anywhere besides PS.

MTC100

Banned
Never. Also the engine was tailored specifically to the PS4 hardware I'd imagine(oh well, I guess the Xbone hardware isn't that much different). I guess they will licence it to some exclusive indie-devs though or perhaps use it with other games but the Guerilla ones.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Sony's PhyreEngine is multiplatform. If it makes business sense to them they would allow it I imagine. Chances are it will never make business sense though.

Did you guys forget that decima engine does not support framerates higher than 30 FPS? It's how this engine was designed. Imagine having that on PC

Why would Microsoft want to use Decima? I'm sure they are set as far as engines go. They just require the right talent to use them.

Kudo

You're thinking about Kojimas next game when we haven't even seen gameplay footage of Death Stranding? Good luck with that, DS will probably release in 2030 and his next game will be made by his clone Liquid Kojima.

Why would Microsoft want to use Decima? I'm sure they are set as far as engines go. They just require the right talent to use them.

This I'm pretty sure Microsoft has the talent to make a decimal equivalent. Or branch an internal unreal engine 4. Important part of decima is the content creation tools. You need a way to generate and validate a lot of content fast for a open world game.

Noobcraft

Sure it's possible but I don't think it will happen. Frostbite is capable of putting out more impressive visuals from what I've seen (especially from DICE).

jmga

Im not fighting the PC possibility here, it can happen. But Sony NEVER came on record to say Death Stranding is console exclusive, your wording makes it sound they are left and right talking how this is a console exclusive, when in fact they are not talking about it at all

they never officially confirmed it, so who knows
Sony themselves have been calling it console exclusive since the beginning.

https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2016/160614a.html

At this moment we can say it is coming to PC.

Top Bottom