• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

samn

Yea thats kinda shitty IMO. Why slog through a game for 50 hours and then demand your money back? I played it for about an hour and can see why you'd want to return it, but 50 hours?

It's not shitty. Sony offered him the money and he accepted. Why are we crying over multinationals voluntarily returning people's money.

Considering the broken promises made both before and AFTER the game's launch, they should be offering everyone a refund regardless of playtime.

Does it say on the box 'WARNING: Will only function for first 50 hours of play'? If not then it damn well better work for ten thousand hours if I ever need it to.

Even though I do feel the game did mislead people, all your posts do is prove that the average person doesn't understand legal or consumer affairs.

If you bring a complaint forth against another party yes the onus is on you to supply proof of wrongdoing.

However a company could choose to just honour your request for customer service boost of course . But not every company can just afford to refund everyone like an Amazon or a Costco.
My friend brought a blender back to Costco after a year. Reason : I don't like it. They said okay no problem.
Good customer service ? Hell yes . Feasible business model for average business? Nope

Well, hopefully, after raising PS+ by $10 in US, and $20 in Canada, Sony can afford refunds!

Also, refunds for digital content are much different than trying to return a physical item. No restocking fee, no cleaning, no refurbishing process, etc.

fvng

I got my refund from PSN customer support a couple nights ago.

50+ hours of playtime.

Not surprised to see Steam doing the same thing.

On what basis? What did you tell them?

Sony has been a lot better with refunds lately as long as your reason is good (example, bought an online pass to a first party game and the servers were ghost towns, waited hours before a match started)

Kyoufu

As bad as it is you had a ton of crashes, it's pretty shady to do a refund after playing over 50 hours. Game is broken though so I don't blame you particularly.

I feel no shame. This is the first time I've ever refunded a game after playing it and it wasn't because I didn't enjoy the game. I did, but if it doesn't work then it's my right.

If you bought Fallout 4 or MGS5 or any other game, loved it, playing it for 50 hours with the intention to continue, then the game essentially completely broke, crashing every 10 minutes, you should be entitled to a refund because the product didn't come with a "you can only play this for 50 hours" disclaimer.

Exactly.

Also, I'm guessing a lot of people where trying to give the benefit of the doubt and where trying to put up with the bugs and crashes for HG games sake in hopes that they would fix the issues in a timely manner... Even though the game shouldn't have launched like this.

For the new page since people seem to think consumers should put up with this shit:

Cqy9V42XYAAa6fh.jpg

Yup game is terrible. I'm finally going to drop my game off at UPS to have it be sent back to Amazon for my refund.

I wonder if Hello Games could go into debt because of the refunds being given back (assuming distributors are still taking their cut).

When you have such a grind heavy game like this 50 hours is nothing, especially when every action takes so long to complete. Want to talk to this guy? Hold down X for 5 seconds please. Oooh you have an accomplishment, please wait 15 seconds for you to start moving again. Want to go to this planet? That will be 2 minutes of you doing nothing but holding down your controller buttons.

Drencrom

50+ hours of playtime.

I'm glad for you, but that's bullshit.

For the new page since people seem to think consumers should put up with this shit:

Cqy9V42XYAAa6fh.jpg

Hm okay, makes sense that you would be granted a refund if it crashes that often.

But why did you even bother playing it for over 50 hours if that was the case? lol

Yeah I got a refund after 4 hours of game time on the day of release. I just mentioned how many technical issues there were and it went through almost immediately.

I'm assuming so many people were refunding that they just thought "fuck it, accept them all."

As bad as it is you had a ton of crashes, it's pretty shady to do a refund after playing over 50 hours. Game is broken though so I don't blame you particularly.

Why? It was advertised as an unlimited game experience, not a "play for 50 hours and the game craches constantly" experience.

Unbelievable that some of you defend broken games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wasn't hard at all. I told them it crashes too much to be acceptable and they completely understood.

They usually don't offer refunds, but I guess others have the same problem?

You should note that you're in the UK. Sony actually has a legal obligation to offer refunds on digital products, which isn't true of most elsewhere.

Kyoufu

And why is that? I was planning on playing for much more.

You realise I have over 400 hours of playtime on Elite: Dangerous right? That game didn't shit the bed after travelling to another star system.

Jonm1010

Banned
Would you refuse to return a washing machine if it began failing after 15 washes?

How about a movie that begins to skip after the half way mark?

A book printed with blank pages?

A set of cookware that was advertised to last ten years perfectly but begins getting warped and heating unevenly after only a few meals?

I get software is a different animal but his log shows this game is practically crashing for him every half hour. That's not just mild inconvenience, that's functionally broken.

Opa-Pa

I thought refunding it after 50 hours sounded shitty at first too, but if it's due to constant crashes then it sounds pretty reasonable. If a game is too broken to the point it doesn't let you beat it then it's not unfair to refund at all. It's like the save file size issue in Skyrim PS3 in a way, you could play that for dozens of hours and at some point it became unplayable and impossible to finish, would a refund in that case be unfair? I don't think so.

Anyway, I'm glad Steam is doing this. Good call. And it's a relief that it works well enough on PS4 for me, I've only had it crash once in like 20 hours.

Ludens

Banned
Even if I get three quarters of the way through a book and come upon the final third and realize that pages were printed blank, I would be demanding a refund as well.

The defense force for this game is ridiculous.

Just on principle alone I would encourage people who want to to try and refund this game. It was sold on false advertising. This shit needs to be punished by consumers. Shit like this game is why the industry treats their consumers like crap. Because not only does it often get rewarded, people will actively PR for those doing it.
The comparison you did is totally out of place.

Wil348

I stopped playing somewhere around the 20 hour mark. I just wasn't feeling the game and felt ripped off more than anything else. However, I don't think I would want to refund it as I have played quite a bit. Also, I purchased it on my U.S PSN account so I don't think I could get a refund even if it's possible. Oh well.

Drencrom

Why? It was advertised as an unlimited game experience, not a "play for 50 hours and the game craches constantly" experience.

Unbelievable that some of you defend broken games.

I'm not defending it (I don't even own the game as I never bought into the hype) and I just edited my post after I read his post with the crash log.

Kyoufu

Hm okay, makes sense that you would be granted a refund if it crashes that often.

But why did you even bother playing it for over 50 hours if that was the case? lol

It was fine, maybe one crash a day until I started travelling. After I entered the first black hole it all fell to pieces.

Yes, I'm still bummed about it but I've never seen a game that shit the bed like this in application errors before and I doubt I ever will. It was unplayable.

Jonm1010

Banned
The comparison you did is totally out of place.
No it's not.

The product is broken for him. It functioned somewhat for a bit of time but has gotten to the point where it crashes every half hour.

Quit knighting for broken games and lying developers.

50+ hours of playtime.

Good on you! Nevermind the naysayers. I wish I could have gotten a refund.

I wonder how GOG is handling their refunds.

GoG actually has the worst policy of the big 3. They only refund if they cant get your game working. Origin is the best with up to 24hrs for any reason, with Steam in the middle with 2hrs.

GoG Refund Policy

EA's refund policy

Steam's refund policy

styl3s

I wish Amazon would refund my physical copy. I legit feel robbed. The last time I dropped a game this fast was Unlimited Saga.
Considering how big and public this cluster fuck has been have you tried asking support? Because everyone including myself who bought the PC version of Sim City from Amazon was given the opportunity to get a refund but that might of been a bigger cluster fuck.

samn

You should note that you're in the UK. Sony actually has a legal obligation to offer refunds on digital products, which isn't true of most elsewhere.

Only in a very particular set of circumstances that don't really apply to DD services in practice. e.g. must not have already downloaded the product

Because I reached a point where the game would crash very frequently. I'm not having that.

I like the game though, but then again I've played other space games like it so I knew what to expect. It's not great but not bad either imo.
This is where I stand. I platinumed the game but I forced it since I was so close I just wanted the trophy. The game crashes on me so often its unbearable. Plus I ran into a number of annoying bugs that showed up constantly. I like the game but its a broken mess.

I cant get a refund tho.

I got a refund yesterday from Amazon UK. Just said it kept crashing, also saidI felt lied to by the creators as it wasn't the game they promised. They accepted straight away.

Amazon is pretty chill on returns, as long as you don't abuse it.

This would be a great time to go to their Customer Service and go to their online chat.

Just did it and just got refunded. Fuck I love Amazon.

joecanada

Well, hopefully, after raising PS+ by $10 in US, and $20 in Canada, Sony can afford refunds!

Also, refunds for digital content are much different than trying to return a physical item. No restocking fee, no cleaning, no refurbishing process, etc.

That is true. I mean steam refunding is pretty good model . Ive already refunded like 3 games and only bought like 5 lol. But it was within an hour of playtime.

Also the more requests Sony gets at some point they may notify customer service agents and say if people have legit gripe just do it .

Then they'll just say to hello games " hey you fd up boys we give refunds on your game "

My refund still hasn't processed and it's been almost 2 hours, is this likely due to the refund system being bombarded with requests?

Top Bottom