• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Kyoufu

Lmao 50 hours is like beginning to end.

I wasn't even close to the center of the universe because I was playing and enjoying the game. I didn't travel much since the Emeril/Gold grind was real.

I was close to buying a new ship too, but I reached tipping point when the game kept crashing and making me lose progress.

Yeah, Valve. It was working occasionally so I was happy keeping it as I was enjoying it but then it just stopped, with like a 30% chance of getting past the galaxy loading screen at the beginning. Disappointing but I figured I would just go back to my physical PS4 copy.

Keep contacting Valve and get that refund. $60 is a lot.

Jonm1010

Banned
You totally misurunderstood me, since I'm not knighting anyone and I reported several times how Sean lied, I don't even own NMS. But if a book has blank pages is faulty and nobody can deny that, for games iwsiws different: you need to prove the game was really unplayable, it can be a problem of the game, of your PS4 etc. Also games can be patched. This doesn't justify Sean or NMS, but I doubt a game works smoothly for 50 hours becoming unplayable after that.

Did you bother reading the thread? He even posted his error log for all to see.

It was crashing basically every 20-30 minutes.

It was crashing prior to that but not nearly at such a rate.

I think the analogy is perfectly fine. Someone else mentioned the Skyrim save bug that made the game unplayable after a certain amount of time. That seems a great comparison for what this guy experienced. In both instances I would strongly argue the game is functionally broken enough for those experiencing it that they deserve a refund. As what was promised for the product(a stable enough experience that the game can be finished) was not delivered.

Deadbeat

Banned
If a big game studio had to give refunds people would be cheering, but since its a small indie studio there is tons of apologists. People in both big and small companies can be scum. Fuck you for arguing against consumer rights.

Nzyme32

Hate to break to you OP - - - - this doesn't only apply to NMS

You can do this with practically anything on Steam so long as you are not abusing the system

I assume they have some internal criteria for all this in coming to a decision as to whether you can get a refund when outside the normal refund criteria. I managed to get a refund on Volume & Homeworld Remastered (which I have since repurchased) despite being both over the 14 day criteria and over the 2 hours played criteria for both games

There is also info about this in the Refund Policy on Steam:

"It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look."

Not even close

The game is unlimited and lasts forever (until someone tries to refund it)

If a big game studio had to give refunds people would be cheering, but since its a small indie studio there is tons of apologists. People in both big and small companies can be scum. Fuck you for arguing against consumer rights.

Less to do with them being indie, and more to do with fanboys acting like fanboys.

Drencrom

No Man's Sky is a game about searching for cool stuff. If you play for 10, 50, or even 100 hours and never find anything cool, you deserve a refund.

Hopefully Hello learns a lesson from all this. And the industry at large becomes more transparent about target renders vs finalized gameplay.

Devil's advocate here; What's "cool stuff" or not is subjective, just because you as a player was promised to get a "fun game" doesn't mean you're applicable to be granted a refund if you don't find the product fun.

However, if the game is a piece of shit that doesn't work properly (crashes all the time) and is sold based on factual lies (like a non-existent multiplayer component and so on) you have very valid reasons to get a refund.

anothertech

Why havent' the devs come out and said a dam thing since release?

This is a clusterfck of crazy. And they have no one to blame but themselves.

Zomba13

That's kind of cool for people that want it. Even though I'm disappointed in the game I'll still be keeping it, I didn't buy through Steam so I wouldn't be able to get a refund even if I wanted to anyway.

Anyway, I still think the stupid PSA filter is stupid. If you don't want people to make topics with PSA in the title then rather than change it to something stupid to show up the topic creator, just remove it. The topics would still be the same, the titles would read how the mods want them to and there will be less people going "lol PSA filter!" and less confusion from topic creators.

Did anyone make a "No Man's Buy" joke yet?

I'm kind of disappointed this game didn't live up to all the hype. I don't even have the systems for it but it looked really cool.

Hupsel

Due to the massive list of crashes and false advertising I think the game should be refunded/returned no matter the number of hours played. It´s a broken product.

I wasn't even close to the center of the universe because I was playing and enjoying the game. I didn't travel much since the Emeril/Gold grind was real.

I was close to buying a new ship too, but I reached tipping point when the game kept crashing and making me lose progress.

I spent 5 hours duping my inventory full of emril and selling it before I went to my next warp. . man I was pissed. Had 40mil on me only to realize that this game is nothing but a grind fest.

It's a little disgusting that people with 50+ hours game time are getting refunds. That money comes from somewhere (the devs) and means what coulda have looked like a good week may now cost them money if a high number of refunds have gone through.

If you played it for 50 hours you obviously didn't find it that bad and obviously got your money's worth after just a few. It's a bit like finishing a meal and then complaining you didn't like the food and wanting a full refund. You know that stuff within the first bite.

Man it hasn't been a good couple of weeks for Hello Games :/
I honestly have no idea how they recover from something like this and knowing the back story of Sean selling his house and everything it makes it all the more depressing.

Dude did it to himself and still is doing it to himself for one by not saying anything. Secondly, I am much more concerned about the rest of the team. But you know what? This is the horse they decided to back. The entire team could very well have said something about the way things where going and told Sean where to stick it but it doesn't seem like they did though who knows, maybe they tried. But they chose to charge $60 while releasing the game in this state. When it comes down to it with issues like this, it has to be the consumers first. The consumers wanted answers and they chose to keep silent. The answer to the situation that they found themselves in was never to keep silent in the face of so many questions. This is the worst thing they could have done.

Alucrid

Banned
For the new page since people seem to think consumers should put up with this shit:

Cqy9V42XYAAa6fh.jpg

why are they all from two weeks ago if you got the refund a few nights ago?

People really hate this game, eh?

There is a vastly larger amount of disappointment than there is hate. You can tell, especially in threads like this, people wanted to enjoy the game, but simply haven't been able to. Which is completely fair and understandable.

He probably stopped playing due to the crashes, then wrestled with their customer service for a while.

If he is submitting the crashes it will get fixed. But yes getting 50 hrs out of a game and getting your money back is a scummy move.

There's absolutely no guarantee they will get fixed. If a manufacturing defect limits the life of a product the amount of time the product was used before the defect presented itself should be irrelevant.

doop_

Banned
Man it hasn't been a good couple of weeks for Hello Games :/
I honestly have no idea how they recover from something like this and knowing the back story of Sean selling his house and everything it makes it all the more depressing.
Are you the guy i have been watching play No man's sky ?

When I first launched it, I liked it. By the time I hit my second star system (after about 10 times crashing), I realized that I had literally played all there is to play. And then the game crashed so bad that my save AND MY PREVIOUS SAVE got corrupted.

Had to start over

Jonm1010

Banned
Devil's advocate here; What's "cool stuff" or not is subjective, just because you as a player was promised to get a "fun game" doesn't mean you're applicable to be granted a refund if you don't find the product fun.

However, if the game is a piece of shit that doesn't work properly (crashes all the time) and is sold based on factual lies (like a multiplayer component and so on) you have very valid reasons to get a refund.
Thankfully steam doesn't agree with your anti-consumer logic. Seeing as they allow refunds for people that think a game is shit if it is played for a certain amount of time or under.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
It's a little disgusting that people with 50+ hours game time are getting refunds. That money comes from somewhere (the devs) and means what coulda have looked like a good week may now cost them money if a high number of refunds have gone through.

If you played it for 50 hours you obviously didn't find it that bad and obviously got your money's worth after just a few. It's a bit like finishing a meal and then complaining you didn't like the food and wanting a full refund. You know that stuff within the first bite.
Read the thread. It's more like if he was enjoying his meal, then halfway through the restaurant threw his plate on the floor and told him to leave.

Landford

Banned
Maybe the reason some people are getting refunds and others arent is because the servers are overloaded, so many of you trying at the moment.

Ultimadrago

I can't believe what I'm reading here. So because it worked for 50 hours and then stopped working he should just deal with it? You are not purchasing some kind of limited use contract when you buy a game. If a game does not work after 50 hours, you should return it.

How in the world is this defensible?

The game does not work. Why should he pay for that?

Has anyone msde a good argument to the contrary yet? because I'm still waiting for one.

How long does it take from Steam to respond, just sent them an email since the normal refund process wouldn't work for me.

Via e-mail? Sometimes Valve customer support doesn't even bother responding. They're notoriously bad for a reason lol

Has anyone msde a good argument to the contrary yet? because I'm still waiting for one.

We need a NMS Stans bingo card. They're an indie studio, you make your own fun, you just bought into hype, etc, lol. Applicable to so many responses.

Maybe the reason some people are getting refunds and others arent is because the servers are overloaded, so many of you trying at the moment.

Probably, I sent mine about 2 hours ago and yet to get a response so I sent an email to costumer support as well just in case.

A lot of people do yeah. I'm one of the ones that was really enjoying it and when it fell apart technically my joy turn into resentment. It got to the point that I was calling the crashes. "Annnnd its going to crash" *crashes* "fuuck!" I'd lose like an hour worth of mining. I probably spent about 50 hours with the game as well. 25 of those were repeating the time I had lost from the crashes.

Jonm1010

Banned
What are you suggesting?

Maybe the process took a while. Maybe he felt powerless the first week until the lightbulb went off and he said "fuck it, let's give the refund process a shot."

Why are you seemingly thinking there is something nefarious going on?

Ludens

Banned
Did you bother reading the thread? He even posted his error log for all to see.

It was crashing basically every 20-30 minutes.

It was crashing prior to that but not nearly at such a rate.

I think the analogy is perfectly fine. Someone else mentioned the Skyrim save bug that made the game unplayable after a certain amount of time. That seems a great comparison for what this guy experienced. In both instances I would strongly argue the game is functionally broken enough for those experiencing it that they deserve a refund. As what was promised for the product(a stable enough experience that the game can be finished) was not delivered.
I'm not saying the game is not broken, I'm saying he should ask for a refund much sooner: I watched AngryJoe review and I know the game crashes a lot, but if something like that happened to me, I would do a google search after the second crash to see if it's a known issue, if so I would ask if a patch to address the issue was planned, if not I would ask for a refund. This if I was liking the game, otherwise I would refunded instantly. But in Italy if you buy a game and it's a mess, you are done, no way to get a refund if not for faulty discs.

bidguy

Banned
I got my refund from PSN customer support a couple nights ago.

50+ hours of playtime.

Not surprised to see Steam doing the same thing.

isnt this a bit scummy ? you obviously enjoyed the game why else would you play 50+ hours so why ask for a refund ?

MUnited83

For you.

If you read the person that played 50 hours, you'd find its more like the food you até was good but gave you an intoxication.

Intel_89

The guy mentioned he was enjoying the game up until the point where the game kept constantly crashing and making him lose progress. That seems to be the main reason for the refund.

Via e-mail? Sometimes Valve customer support doesn't even bother responding. They're notoriously bad for a reason lol

In that case I'll just leave my refund request up as well, was gonna cancel it and wait for costumer support but I might as well wait until I get a response about my refund through the actual system.

Top Bottom