• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Blobbers

To take games that have kinda clear cut endings, Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 take about 100 hours to complete if you're doing an almost completionist run.

If both those games kept constantly crashing at the 50 hour mark and you knew there's still a lot you could get out of the game, but they kept crashing constantly and giving you blue balls, would you condemn anyone who'd at that point consider getting a refund?

Can't wrap my head around this "well at least you got 50 hours out of the game, so it doesn't matter if you don't get to experience all that a game has to offer"

Jonm1010

Banned
To take games that have kinda clear cut endings, Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 take about 100 hours to complete if you're doing an almost completionist run.

If both those games kept constantly crashing at the 50 hour mark and you knew there's still a lot you could get out of the game, but they kept crashing constantly and giving you blue balls, would you condemn anyone who'd at that point consider getting a refund?

Can't wrap my head around this "well at least you got 50 hours out of the game, so it doesn't matter if you don't get to experience all that a game has to offer"

I think the Skyrim save bug is a great comparison.

Idk I tried to refund Stardew Valley once and they said they wouldn't accept it unless the game was completely broken.

But in the case of something like No Man's Sky I can see it being a much faster process due to easily available complaints.

Probably, GOG is well aware that this game is not what people wanted.

Wereroku

If he is submitting the crashes it will get fixed. But yes getting 50 hrs out of a game and getting your money back is a scummy move.

Man it hasn't been a good couple of weeks for Hello Games :/
I honestly have no idea how they recover from something like this and knowing the back story of Sean selling his house and everything it makes it all the more depressing.

MUnited83

For you.
You played it for 50 hours

It clearly functioned enough for you to play for over two days of real world playtime.
So? How is that relevant? If the game continues to break, dude deserves a refund. He could have played it 100 hours and deserve a refund too
The dude played 50 hours and asked for a refund, some people have no shame.
If the game was crappy you could ask a refund much sooner than 50 hours. Man, even 10 hours are enough to understand if a game like that is good.
The issue wasnt crappiness, was the game being literally broken.

Drencrom

It was fine, maybe one crash a day until I started travelling. After I entered the first black hole it all fell to pieces.

Yes, I'm still bummed about it but I've never seen a game that shit the bed like this in application errors before and I doubt I ever will. It was unplayable.

Sucks to hear, but yeah I agree that a refund should be given in circumstances like yours if the software doesn't function properly and is overall a mess. When I originally read your post I thought you just played the game for 50 hours and then realized it's not good/fun anymore and then wanted a refund which itself is not a valid reason to be granted one.

I honestly have no idea how they recover from something like this and knowing the back story of Sean selling his house and everything it makes it all the more depressing.
Well, quit lying and maybe this kind of blowback won't happen.

Developers who lie and mislead should not be protected from actions such as this.

Consumers should have rights and be protected from false advertising.

Glad to see this.

No Man's Sky is a game about searching for cool stuff. If you play for 10, 50, or even 100 hours and never find anything cool, you deserve a refund.

Hopefully Hello learns a lesson from all this. And the industry at large becomes more transparent about target renders vs finalized gameplay.

Alebrije

Do not worry he has enough money now to no develop any other game ever and have a decent life style.

benzopil

You buy a disc with all seasons of "House M.D." and enjoy it for 100 hours before you realize that season 7 isn't working at all. Of course you should request a refund. Same situation here.

Kyoufu

If he is submitting the crashes it will get fixed. But yes getting 50 hrs out of a game and getting your money back is a scummy move.

You're barely getting anywhere in this game in 50 hours. I don't even have half of the trophies.

How is that exactly a scummy move and why would you defend broken products?

Jonm1010

Banned
If the product doesn't work and can no longer function it absolutely is not.

To use his example, I didn't buy Witcher 3 on the promise I could play half the game. I bought it on the promise it would function well
enough to get me through the ENTIRE game. All the way to the end.

In this case it's even worse because not only could that person no longer play the game, what he could play was a shell of what was promised by the developer.

Ludens

Banned
No it's not.

The product is broken for him. It functioned somewhat for a bit of time but has gotten to the point where it crashes every half hour.

Quit knighting for broken games and lying developers.
You totally misurunderstood me, since I'm not knighting anyone and I reported several times how Sean lied, I don't even own NMS. But if a book has blank pages is faulty and nobody can deny that, for games iwsiws different: you need to prove the game was really unplayable, it can be a problem of the game, of your PS4 etc. Also games can be patched. This doesn't justify Sean or NMS, but I doubt a game works smoothly for 50 hours becoming unplayable after that.
I would ask a refund much sooner, because I'm sure the game crashed a lot even before. But I think this is a US thing, I doubt Sony Europe would give you a refund, they don't want to do that even when people get hacked.

AdanVC

Damn literally everyone asking for a refund. The game that was on GAF's top list of most anticipated games has now came to this.

CryptiK

0 Sympathy. He knew what he was doing and he still did it. He is no better than the other scummy scammy devs out there.

Look at that crash list.. He deserves a refund he can't play the game properly at all and it isn't serving its function.

That's sad and all, but all he had to do was be straight up. Let people know what they are getting into. GAF started getting pissed at people saying "But what do you do?" And then the released came and most people realized that all you do is grind. Grind for material. Grind to the next warp. Grind Grind.

Kssio_Aug

You played it for 50 hours

It clearly functioned enough for you to play for over two days of real world playtime.

There are some people that insists playing through something hoping to see it get better and to feel like they didn't waste their money. ALSO, you don't know how solid was his experience, maybe the game crashed a lot, got frequent technical issues, or maybe just wasn't really fun.

Worse than refunding something after 50 hours is to judge someone just because of that! After all, if he was allowed to get a refund is not up to you people to judge it.

samn

Oh well, at least he can buy a much bigger house now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't believe what I'm reading here. So because it worked for 50 hours and then stopped working he should just deal with it? You are not purchasing some kind of limited use contract when you buy a game. If a game does not work after 50 hours, you should return it.

How in the world is this defensible?

The game does not work. Why should he pay for that?

Korezo

Developers who lie and mislead should not be protected from actions such as this.

Consumers should have rights and be protected from false advertising.

Glad to see this.

Yeah, I don't get people saying that its bs. The game and the creator is bs with the lies.

If you wonder how they will recover, then Steamspy gives you a pretty good hint.

I can't believe what I'm reading here. So because it worked for 50 hours and then stopped working he should just deal with it? You are not purchasing some kind of limited use contract when you buy a game. If a game does not work after 50 hours, you should return it.

How in the world is this defensible?

The game does not work. Why should he pay for that?
Ah, well that's different then. Makes sense

No, he's not the scummy one, you are.

If anyone buys almost any product and it stops working properly after 50 hours they'd return it.

It's common fucking sense.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I tried it after 3h cus I was just getting constant crashing and they said no, lol.

Guess I could email them?

I think everyone is better off submitting a ticket for refund requests that run afoul of either guideline due to the largely automated nature of the refund system. Valve can and does read reasons given, but you're far more likely to be slapped with the "Denied" stamp because it's immediately obvious that the purchase/release day was more than two weeks ago or you've played more than two hours. At least with a support ticket you can be sure your reasons were taken into account, although you may have to push past the fact that Steam Support staffers tend to issue a recommended response at first instead of responding to the actual query.

You totally misurunderstood me, since I'm not knighting anyone and I reported several times how Sean lied, I don't even own NMS. But if a book has blank pages is faulty and nobody can deny that, for games iwsiws different: you need to prove the game was really unplayable, it can be a problem of the game, of your PS4 etc. Also games can be patched. This doesn't justify Sean or NMS, but I doubt a game works smoothly for 50 hours becoming unplayable after that.

Then he can buy again once the game gets fixed. Why should the developer who knowingly offered a faulty product get to keep his money until then?

Games are consumer products like any other. Why should the consumer have to give them privileged treatment? Why should the burden be on the consumer?

Top Bottom