• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

Arkam

These must be joke posts at this point.

Nope. I read their Crash issues too. Still amazed they put 50 hours in before deciding enough was enough. If it was crashing for them every 20min like it appeared (and sure isnt happening for me) that is crazy masochism.

Kyoufu

I guess, it kinda makes sense. Though I can't imagine myself reaching 50 hours with a game that crashes frequently. :/

Like I already said, it only became unplayable when I started travelling. I was in the starter systems for a long time. Then I travelled and the game went to crap.

To me it just seems like they did QA in the beginning star systems and thought the rest of the game would be fine. *shrug*

that's amazing

that's a win for the consumers for sure. if you get a game that doesn't deliver on expected content while also being a buggy mess the 2 hour threshold shouldn't apply

Completely agreed. I'm not expecting my games to be bug free. I know that's almost impossible. But this is fundamentally broken.

Nope. I read their Crash issues too. Still amazed they put 50 hours in before deciding enough was enough. If it was crashing for them every 20min like it appeared (and sure isnt happening for me) that is crazy masochism.

Most of the crashes start occurring when you get more into the game.

Alebrije

It's actually sad. This is a small studio and I'm not sure if they ever recover.
MaBMk8Khg6kq_mAIQwnXwj6HoCWjfRSTmjQt_zQAubSdCtxeJhVT1b45tpHsfw4bvPB-B3FrzXJPllrq8Fbzx9cbsVInjD9wSRhZKYzEUpJQvMCdnoe4S0oaU0w1RLWaWyaKiyOAM0Mrs2WUIDqhRROdsq1O=w464-h317-nc

Jonm1010

Banned
It's not that black and white, I do think people should of course be able to get a refund if they simply don't like the product (like any product in general), just not after using the game/product over a long time as 50 hours.

The 2 hour refund policy is a great compromise really and I'm not against it at all, the opposite in fact. It's probably unfair to short games that could be played in 2 hours though, but I'm not sure on how to accommodate the policy for games like that.

Again, think back to Skyrim.

Bethesda promised a game that could be played start to finish functionally. For many PS3 owners and the save bug that was impossible.

Half way through the game it became unplayable.

That is the equivalent of a book printing blank pages half way through, a movie skipping 2/3rds through and seizing to work functionally. A washer machine that promises thousands of loads without issue that breaks down after the first 100.

Whether he has an avenue to actually get a refund or not, his situation absolutely warrants one. And thankfully in this case he was able to.

Veggy

I tried to get a steam refund about 5-6 days ago with less than 3 hours played with no luck, I'll try again but I'm not holding my breath

Those of you with successful steam refunds over the 2 hour mark, what did you write in the comments section that may have helped with the refund?

Taruranto

Like I already said, it only became unplayable when I started travelling. I was in the starter systems for a long time. Then I travelled and the game went to crap.

To me it just seems like they did QA in the beginning star systems and thought the rest of the game would be fine. *shrug*

Ah, understood.

Sounds like the Bethesda model lol.

Farewell

Wow page 7 and Kyoufu still needs to defend himself, guys just look at that screenshot he posted, game works like shit, i would get a refund too, even after 50 hours.

Sinistral

I was able to get a refund on PSN, funds straight back to my PSN Wallet. Did it by using Live Chat. The guy didn't even ask what game, I had to ask what game he did it for, which was No Man's Sky no questions asked. The game did crash often on me there and only had about 4 hours playtime. Did not pre-order it, but bought it day one on PSN.

Now waiting on Steam to respond.

Jonm1010

Banned
So you didn't read the thread?

As he also posted the crashes were less frequent at first.

Santiako

I put about 40 hours before the last patch hit and made the game start crashing every time I use the hyperdrive or go into a black hole. I was loving the game but the crashes made it unplayable for me so I traded it in.

I tried to get a steam refund about 5-6 days ago with less than 3 hours played with no luck, I'll try again but I'm not holding my breath

Those of you with successful steam refunds over the 2 hour mark, what did you write in the comments section that may have helped with the refund?

I had 2.5 hrs and I got one by selecting technical issues with the game and wrote "Game runs and looks like shit, should have delayed it."

Good game releases are so barren these days I'm sure the refund will be sitting there till Civ VI.

WOW OMG YOUSE GUYZ

I haven't seen a game so universally disliked in a long time.

That new garbage looking Metroid game

Jonm1010

Banned
It's actually sad. This is a small studio and I'm not sure if they ever recover.
Dont false advertise and release a shoddy product that is functionally broken for many and charge $60 for.

This should be a cautionary tale for developers that wish hype and run...though based on numbers I think this is more a woodyharrelsonwipingtearswithmoney.gif situation.

Landford

Banned

They earned something to the ballpark of almost a hundred million dollars with sales combined, and every single one of those was done with lies. I have absolutely no sympathy for Hello. The radio silence after launch speaks more about their intention than anything else, really.

Edit: The nervous breakdown Sony had when the game hit the net a week before launch makes me certain it was all expected.

Dont false advertise and release a shoddy product that is functionally broken for many and charge $60 for.

This should be a cautionary tale for developers that wish hype and run.

You know, it makes me wonder. The amount they were being hyped up on Sony's stage, I wonder if they went to Sony at all and said "yo, we're having trouble making that E3 stuff happen. Can ya'll help?"

ghostjoke

Banned
Interesting. NMS does show the issue with Steam's refund policy that sometimes 2 hour isn't enough to figure out a game, especially one that as front loaded like NMS - well, technically you have figured it, but you are kind of expecting something more from then on.

Chances are that the increased refund time is related to performance issues ala Arkham Knight. If NMS had been $20 early access, we'd be having a very different conversation.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
You get back in there for that $60 and don't come back here until you do!
Now that's the spirit! lol
If your game is crashing, by all means refund the fuck out of it. A broken product is no good to anyone.
But at the same time, it shouldn't take you around 50+ hours to realize you have a broken product.

If your game is crashing, by all means refund the fuck out of it. A broken product is no good to anyone.
But at the same time, it shouldn't take you around 50+ hours to realize you have a broken product.

In this case, it did. Read the thread. Most of the crashes are later in the game when your inventory size gets huge. Or it could be the size of your discovery log. Who knows.

No, he's not the scummy one, you are.

If anyone buys almost any product and it stops working properly after 50 hours they'd return it.

It's common fucking sense.

The best part of this thread is how the people that lack any kind of common sense start hurling insults at this guy for refunding the game.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

I just wrote an email to Sony asking for a refund too. I am a big fan of the game, but the more I played the more it started crashing..so I hope I'll have your luck.

Jonm1010

Banned
See: Skyrim

See: his post about how the crashing only got more frequent as time went on and he eventually hit threshold where it became every 20-30 minutes.

rockyt

Why would you return the game after 50 hours? Isn't that pretty good value for your 60 bucks?

Regardless of value for the money paid. I personally believe a consumer has the right to refund any and all products including services that do not meet what was advertised or promised for which the consumer paid for.

Thankfully I've only played about 32 hours, 5 of which were me trying to get the game to work.

Abounder

Banned
Good to see some customer service especially for $60

Makes me nostalgic for blockbuster video, NMS seems like the very definition of a rental.

Wow page 7 and Kyoufu still needs to defend himself, guys just look at that screenshot he posted, game works like shit, i would get a refund too, even after 50 hours.

How do you put 50 hours in anything in your life if the experience is that rotten?

Edit: Oh shit I need to read shit better, I understood now that the problem got worse after 50 hours. Sorry.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Great! Allow me to explain that according to the User Agreement all sales are final; however I can process a refund request for this transaction. Please just keep in mind that the refund is process as a onetime exception and the funds will return to your PSN wallet.
Thanks Kyoufu

Top Bottom