• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW OMG: Steam is refunding No Man's Sky even if you played more then 2 hours

You know, I really wanted to believe in No Man's Sky. I had that shit preordered from the day that preorders opened. I even tried to defend them after the game was released as a shell of what it was supposed to be.

But after the game kept crashing and crashing and crashing, I just couldn't do it anymore.

I do feel bad for Hello Games in a way. They tried. It's undoubted that they tried. But they simply failed. Not only in making a game that was playable without crashing, but without communicating to the public about these issues.

You know, I really wanted to believe in No Man's Sky. I had that shit preordered from the day that preorders opened. I even tried to defend them after the game was released as a shell of what it was supposed to be.

But after the game kept crashing and crashing and crashing, I just couldn't do it anymore.

Same.

I'm not saying the game is not broken, I'm saying he should ask for a refund much sooner: I watched AngryJoe review and I know the game crashes a lot, but if something like that happened to me, I would do a google search after the second crash to see if it's a known issue, if so I would ask if a patch to address the issue was planned, if not I would ask for a refund. This if I was liking the game, otherwise I would refunded instantly. But in Italy if you buy a game and it's a mess, you are done, no way to get a refund if not for faulty discs.

And, again, the crashing got worse the more time he spent in game. It's not as if he had the awful amount of crashing from the first minute to the fiftieth hour.

It's a little disgusting that people with 50+ hours game time are getting refunds. That money comes from somewhere (the devs) and means what coulda have looked like a good week may now cost them money if a high number of refunds have gone through.

If you played it for 50 hours you obviously didn't find it that bad and obviously got your money's worth after just a few. It's a bit like finishing a meal and then complaining you didn't like the food and wanting a full refund. You know that stuff within the first bite.

1. The game doesn't work so he's untitled to a refund has Sony ruled.

2. Hello Games made millions with No Man Sky just on PC, now add to that the money on PS4 plus the money from the deal they made with Sony and I'm fairly certain 50 bucks isn't going to chance their week.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
maybe some people will think twice next time before preordering a game. haha who am i kidding? some people just don't learn.

Alucrid

Banned
That's when I last played it. I've been playing games that actually work.

I was on patch 1.05 iirc which didn't fix it.

1.05 didn't come out until last Sunday, no?

What are you suggesting?

Maybe the process took a while. Maybe he felt powerless the first week until the lightbulb went off and he said "fuck it, let's give the refund process a shot."

Why are you seemingly thinking there is something nefarious going on?

i presumed he had been playing on later patched versions which supposedly fixed a lot of the crashing issues. those patches weren't out then. do you think there is something nefarious going on?

Jonm1010

Banned
I'm not saying the game is not broken, I'm saying he should ask for a refund much sooner: I watched AngryJoe review and I know the game crashes a lot, but if something like that happened to me, I would do a google search after the second crash to see if it's a known issue, if so I would ask if a patch to address the issue was planned, if not I would ask for a refund. This if I was liking the game, otherwise I would refunded instantly. But in Italy if you buy a game and it's a mess, you are done, no way to get a refund if not for faulty discs.
It seems like you are splitting hairs. Whether current policy allows it or not, I would argue a game that crashes at the rate it did for him
Is functionally broken. Assuming it has been within a reasonable amount of time owning the game(and given the length of the game I'd be pretty lenient) seems fair game to me.

Also he said he was playing on the latest patch. So he even tried to give them a chance to fix it.

Also I experienced more crashes with the game as my inventory slots increased. Once I maxed out my suit and had a 36 ship I would crash every 10 minutes. So for me the longer I got in the game the worse it got.

Jonm1010

Banned

i presumed he was playing on later patched versions which supposedly fixed a lot of the crashing issues. those patches weren't out then.
Even if he is mistaken, so the fuck what?

They falsely advertised a game and released a product that is functionally broken for him. End of story.

It's really that simple. You get you are indirectly defending anti-consumer practices and taking the side that a person that buys a product that does not work functionally should have to suck
It up and have no recourse?

Kyoufu

i presumed he was playing on later patched versions which supposedly fixed a lot of the crashing issues. those patches weren't out then.

I dunno. I remember downloading a patch, tweeting about it in hopes of it fixing the crashes and nope, same old song.

I actually have no idea what the patch even did because they didn't release patch notes on the day.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I got my refund from PSN customer support a couple nights ago.

50+ hours of playtime.

Not surprised to see Steam doing the same thing.

It took you 50+ hours to realise you don't like the game?

Just went to check Steam Spy and wow... The owners for No Man's Sky dropped almost 20,000 from August 24-25.

3908d8ccdc07a282969b6557aa5f58c1.png

e1bae3b06fed5c02ce2453992f9a3888.png

I went ahead and requested one. 12 hours of play time (though I don't think all of that is actual play time) so we'll see. Probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me even after getting my hype in check a few months before release. Maybe I'll check back in after a year or so of updates and see if it's worth it.

Drencrom

Thankfully steam doesn't agree with your anti-consumer logic. Seeing as they allow refunds for people that think a game is shit if it is played for a certain amount of time or under.

It's not that black and white, I do think people should of course be able to get a refund if they simply don't like the product (like any product in general), just not after using the game/product over a long time as 50 hours.

The 2 hour refund policy is a great compromise really and I'm not against it at all, the opposite in fact. It's probably unfair to short games that could be played in 2 hours though, but I'm not sure on how to accommodate the policy for games like that.

Alucrid

Banned
Even if he is mistaken, so the fuck what?

They falsely advertised a game and released a product that is functionally broken for him. End of story.

It's really that simple. You get you are indirectly defending anti-consumer practices and taking the side that a person that buys a product that does not work functionally should have to suck
It up and have no recourse?

ok? not sure why you're attacking like a rabid animal when even the poster i'm asking is fine answering my questions.

Kyoufu

It took you 50+ hours to realise you don't like the game?

If you read the thread you'll see where I stated I like the game.

It's not as good as Elite: Dangerous, but I don't dislike the game. It's very similar to E:D which I played for FAR longer than 50 hours.

I put in a refund request on steam a few days ago and was denyed (at 4 hours of playtime, 1 hour of those is just having to reload the game again and again with new settings because it would lag constantly or dip to sub 10 fps like all of the time) and was denied, tried to do one again just now at first it said pending but I got an email saying it was being processed so if I hear back either way I'll let you know.

Taruranto

It's not about liking it. A lot of people are experiencing constant crashes as you progress farther in the game. The other night it crashed on me three times in an hour.

I guess, it kinda makes sense. Though I can't imagine myself reaching 50 hours with a game that crashes frequently. :/

It's actually sad. This is a small studio and I'm not sure if they ever recover.

Proper communication from them could have helped out a lot. But instead we got vague tweets and nonsense

I guess, it kinda makes sense. Though I can't imagine myself reaching 50 hours with a game that crashes frequently. :/

The frequent crashes only occur when you get farther, though.

My first crash didn't occur at all until my second day of playing. Lately, it's been every couple of hours.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Read the thread, his crashes got progressively worse until they occurred at 10-30 minute intervals. The game is functionally broken at that point.

phanphare

Banned
that's amazing

that's a win for the consumers for sure. if you get a game that doesn't deliver on expected content while also being a buggy mess the 2 hour threshold shouldn't apply

Top Bottom