• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ Article: Hope Fades for PS3 as a Comeback Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyong

Banned
Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
It's very depressive when you think about it, only on the third year of it's lifespan PS3 might reach PS2's launch price. And I don't remember $300 being too cheap either.

I hope no on launches a console over $300 ever again, and would love to see $200-$300 consoles next-gen.

So you want to see a supped-up 360/PS3 instead of a proper next-gen system? I don't see a console ever being priced at $200 again.

And I'm not sure that price matters as much as some of you make it sound. Wii is priced higher than the 360 at the moment, clearly less powerful, and is still outselling the competition. I can still remember the doomsday predictions when people found out that Wii wasn't priced at the $199.99 "sweet spot."

Furthermore, the 360 didn't receive that big a boost with their recent price drop, which I'm guessing MS thought was going to be a killing blow for the holiday season.

The biggest thing working against Sony at the moment is negative media coverage from mainstream (ignorant) sources like the Times. Who is going to buy a console when the national media is claiming the system has no future? Perception is everything at this point. Hopefully some of the PS3 exclusives garner some positive press coverage. PS3 winning several GotY awards can't hurt either.

quest

Not Banned from OT
nyong said:
So you want to see a supped-up 360/PS3 instead of a proper next-gen system? I don't see a console ever being priced at $200 again.

And I'm not sure that price matters as much as some of you make it sound. Wii is priced higher than the 360 at the moment, clearly less powerful, and is still outselling the competition. I can still remember the doomsday predictions when people found out that Wii wasn't priced at the $199.99 "sweet spot."

Furthermore, the 360 didn't receive that big a boost with their recent price drop, which I'm guessing MS thought was going to be a killing blow for the holiday season.

The biggest thing working against Sony at the moment is negative media coverage from mainstream (ignorant) sources like the Times. Who is going to buy a console when the national media is claiming the system has no future? Perception is everything at this point. Hopefully some of the PS3 exclusives garner some positive press coverage. PS3 winning several GotY awards can't hurt either.

Considering it comes with the biggest most popular game this generation and internal storage it is the same as 199 bare bones usual sweet spot.

Tormentoso said:
See superiority every where.... find me one like Warhwak or the cooperative mode on Resistance 2 find me something like LPB on 360.

I leave it at that..

Unparalleled does not mean superior.

Parallel means alongside, not over.

nyong

Banned
quest said:
Considering it comes with the biggest most popular game this generation and internal storage it is the same as 199 bare bones usual sweet spot.

Using this logic the PS3 and the 360 have comparable prices.

Most consumers don't see beyond the initial price-tag, which Sony grossly underestimated. You really 'are' getting a bargain with the PS3, but many people don't see it that way. They see a (stripped-down) 360 arcade at $199 and a (fully featured) PS3 at $399 and nothing beyond the price tags. This thread is proof positive of that.

So $199 is not the same as $250. But Nintendo, with A-L-O-T of help from the mainstream media, convinced people they needed it. And it sold.

nyong said:

Relax. Next-gen isn't coming anytime soon, so giving us a $200-$300 platform in 2011 or 2012 will give us a decent upgrade in visuals will not raping our wallet too much.

As for MS and Sony, MS managed to increase sales over last year this holiday and sell tons of software while Sony's hardware sales dropped over last year games underperformed most notably LBP.

As for bad articles, well it's the Gamecube effect. Gamecube also had games which I don't feel like listing but none of them really hit motivated the consumer to go out and buy them.

nyong said:

Most consumers don't see beyond the initial price-tag, which Sony grossly underestimated. You really 'are' getting a bargain with the PS3, but many people don't see it that way. They see a (stripped-down) 360 arcade at $199 and a (fully featured) PS3 at $399 and nothing beyond the price tags. This thread is proof positive of that.

So $199 is not the same as $250. But Nintendo, with A-L-O-T of help from the mainstream media, convinced people they needed it. And it sold.

The PS3 and 360 could cost $50 and many of the people buying a Wii wouldn't get them. Because the kid that wants to play with the Wiimote because it looks fun to him and everybody in school or whatever has one.

Or the clueless 40 year old housewife that got a Wii because of Wiifit.

The thing just has broader appeal, even if it appeals with crap that just goes for the lowest common denominator.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
nyong said:

We were able to get next gen leaps for $300 and less for several generations, I don't see why we still wouldn't.

LOLÖK comeback nplayerr my ass you'*ll see hopw 2009 tuzrn out with slim versoon of ps3 thatr wi9ll conbsime less electericity anbd will be smaller and nicer also less diy more processors öess mopney andf thus will lead to pricde CUT !"° and then nice games toto kli9ke uncharted 2 nad nji famouts and god of war 3
gufck tooo durtnk ynow need sleep I'M sorry too much shit kOSOERY1 :((((((

quest

Not Banned from OT
nyong said:

People would buy Wii sports anyways and a memory card. Wii sports won this generation for nintendo there is no counter for MS or Sony to that game. Hell most think they are getting a bargain getting Wii sports and storage for only 50 dollars more at 249.99 vs 199.99 bare bones. The average person does not give a rats ass about the non game features of the PS3. That is the problem with the PS3 all the extra value is non gaming. The average person just wants to play games on a console. They could give a rats ass less about Linux,web browsing,PSN video store or bluray playback. Hell most don't even want to games on line.

Phantast2k said:
LOLÖK comeback nplayerr my ass you'*ll see hopw 2009 tuzrn out with slim versoon of ps3 thatr wi9ll conbsime less electericity anbd will be smaller and nicer also less diy more processors öess mopney andf thus will lead to pricde CUT !"° and then nice games toto kli9ke uncharted 2 nad nji famouts and god of war 3
Awesome. And saved before the edit.

-the arcade comes with a memory card

-the average transaction price of the 360 in Nov was $270, why do some of you think the Arcade is all that's selling

nyong

Banned
Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:
The PS3 and 360 could cost $50 and many of the people buying a Wii wouldn't get them. Because the kid that wants to play with the Wiimote because it looks fun to him and everybody in school or whatever has one.

Or the clueless 40 year old housewife that got a Wii because of Wiifit.

The thing just has broader appeal, even if it appeals with crap that just goes for the lowest common denominator.

The key.

Everyone and their mother owns one now. I give credit to the media frenzy before Nintendo, though. I would love to see an accurate statistic on how long the average Wii owner uses their system day-to-day. And how many new gamers are actually buying games for it semi-regularly. Most people own a Wii for the same reason people own pet rocks and tickle-me-elmo. They're all trends which started with a media frenzy that eventually trickled down to the average consumer. But like most trendy products, people will grow tired of it and move onto the next big thing.

I should mention that I enjoyed my Wii when I was actually playing it, and I think Nintendo has a few great ideas, but despite their insanely high hardware sales, I just don't think they have created a new, permanent demographic of gamers.

Forsete

Gold Member
Hwang Seong-Gyeong said:

Probably true, from my experience at least. Families with small children is the new group, everyone can play, even grandma. PS3 and 360 (regular gaming systems) don't exist in their world, too advanced or they are not interested in it.
Brilliant move by Nintendo, but nothing that interests me.

You know what Sony should to do to grab some of that market? A singstar machine. Singstar is already selling by the tonne. Rebrand a PS2 to a SingStarStation with online connectivity, a simple controller just to navigate the menus. They could probably work EyeToy into it somewhere. Could fool quite a few. :D Put a fitting pricetag to hardware that just as well could come free with a cereal box.

Weisheit

nyong said:
The key.

Everyone and their mother owns one now. I give credit to the media frenzy before Nintendo, though. I would love to see an accurate statistic on how long the average Wii owner uses their system day-to-day. And how many new gamers are actually buying games for it semi-regularly. Most people own a Wii for the same reason people own pet rocks and tickle-me-elmo. They're all trends which started with a media frenzy that eventually trickled down to the average consumer. But like most trendy products, people will grow tired of it and move onto the next big thing.
So, it's a media driven fad?

nyong said:
but despite their insanely high hardware sales,
They have insanely high software sales too.

nyong

Banned
Weisheit said:
So, it's a media driven fad?

Yes, I believe so. A long lasting fad, but a fad nonetheless. And the media is only part of the equation. Probably the most important part, mind you.

They have insanely high software sales too.

Not proportional to the amount of hardware out there. Especially not when you consider third party titles. I suspect that a large number of their sales are coming from former Nintendo fans who didn't own the Gamecube for one reason or another. Or 'hardcore' gamers who own both systems and buy the occasional blockbuster Wii title. Not a new demographic that Nintendo has managed to create. The fad driven buyers will stuff it into their closets or leave it connected for the rare social playtime, while rarely purchasing anything for it.

Wii Fit is easily explained by a fad.

Teddman

As it turns out, the PlayStation brand was the one that was a fad.

History will show 'The PlayStation Fad' lasted roughly a decade, from after the decline of the SNES to the release of the PSP/Wii (1995-2005) and included sub-fad periods of the PS1 and PS2.

AniHawk

Teddman said:

History will show 'The PlayStation Fad' lasted roughly a decade, from after the decline of the SNES to the release of the PSP/Wii (1995-2005) and included sub-fad periods of the PS1 and PS2.

How can you call the Playstation era a fad? It has all of my favorite games.

Teddman said:

exactly :lol

nyong

Banned
Teddman said:

The obvious difference being Playstation fans are gamers, which I don't believe most Wii owners to be.

The only way to prove this, of course, is to look at who's buying/playing games regularly for it.

nyong said:
The obvious difference being Playstation fans are gamers, which I don't believe most Wii owners to be.

The only way to prove this, of course, is to look at who's buying/playing games regularly for it.
That's fucking retarded.

AniHawk

nyong said:
The obvious difference being Playstation fans are gamers,

All fifteen million of them? Where the hell did they go? 140 million people bought a PS2. If they were gamers, don't you think the PS3 userbase would be bigger by now? Don't you think the PS3 would have a higher attach ratio than the Wii? Don't you think PSP games would have sold?

Threi

notag
nyong said:

wait how are Wii fans not gamers if they are buying/playing games regularly for it?

*confuzzled*

oh btw PS3 owners are movie watchers.

true story.

quest

Not Banned from OT
nyong said:

What are you talking about there is plenty of people who bought the PS3 as a bluray player. Almost every stand alone bluray player is a PoS that has some kind of issue. I have 2 PS3s and still have not bought a game for it yet. I rented some of the good ones like MGS4 and Uncharted.

Just about everyone who bought a Wii bought it for Wii sports which is a game.

Phantast2k said:
Hey, can you list everything you had to drink tonight? I just want the hard mathematical data so I can calculate exactly how drunk a person has to be before they start hallucinating a PS3 comeback.

Weisheit

nyong said:
Not proportional to the amount of hardware out there.
It's selling software at a faster rate than the PS2 was (at least in the US), while the same is true of hardware sales. If selling a record amount of software isn't enough, what is?

nyong said:
Especially not when you consider third party titles.
Completely irrelevant to your claim.

FrankT

That reminds me time to break a bottle of wine. Thread delivers. Although it needs just a slight touch of Drinky Crow if I do say so myself.

nyong

Banned
Weisheit said:
It's selling software at a faster rate than the PS2 was (at least in the US), while the same is true of hardware sales. If selling a record amount of software isn't enough, what is?

For a system that has outsold both the PS3 and 360, it has a lower number of titles that have sold well. A few titles have sold gangbusters, but it's fairly obvious that most Wii owners aren't continuously buying new titles for it. Meaning they don't play the thing as often as one would expect from a PS3 or 360 owner. In fact, the total sales of any game that isn't fad based (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play) is fairly horrible, with few exceptions, most of which were early on in its life (the start of the fad).

EDIT: Too much talk of the Wii. My fault there haha. In any case, I could be wrong, but I feel that I reached my conclusions logically enough. Rub this thread in my face later when/if I'm wrong.

Calcaneus

What's so bad about being in third that people can't bear to concede to the facts? Are we in some kind of playground where people get made fun of because their favorite console doesn't sell the most?

Calcaneus said:
What's so bad about being in third that people can't bear to concede to the facts? Are we in some kind of playground where people get made fun of because their favorite console doesn't sell the most?

Yes, yes we are (sadly). Have you been lurking at GAF long?

Weisheit

nyong said:
For a system that has outsold both the PS3 and 360, it has a lower number of titles that have sold well.
Whaaa?:lol
Prove it.
A few titles have sold gangbusters, but it's fairly obvious that most Wii owners aren't continuously buying new titles for it.
See above.
Meaning they don't play the thing as often as one would expect from a PS3 or 360 owner.
See above.
In fact, the total sales of any game that isn't fad based (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play) is fairly horrible,
See above.
with few exceptions, most of which were early on in its life (the start of the fad).
Anything other than nuggets pulled from your ass?

Eteric Rice

Jtyettis said:
That reminds me time to break a bottle of wine. Thread delivers. Although it needs just a slight touch of Drinky Crow if I do say so myself.

Don't say his name!

He might hear you...

Calcaneus said:

Yes.

TJ Spyke

nyong said:
For a system that has outsold both the PS3 and 360, it has a lower number of titles that have sold well. A few titles have sold gangbusters, but it's fairly obvious that most Wii owners aren't continuously buying new titles for it. Meaning they don't play the thing as often as one would expect from a PS3 or 360 owner. In fact, the total sales of any game that isn't fad based (Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Wii Play) is fairly horrible, with few exceptions, most of which were early on in its life (the start of the fad).

EDIT: Too much talk of the Wii. My fault there haha. In any case, I could be wrong, but I feel that I reached my conclusions logically enough. Rub this thread in my face later when/if I'm wrong.

Um, you do know that for the last few months the Wii has sold more total software than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3?

Also, the Wii version of Guitar Hero World Tour is the best selling version and Guitar Hero/Rock Band games in general have been selling best on Wii.

When it comes to worldwide million selling games (with confirmed numbers, and remember that Xbox 360 had a 1 year head start):
Xbox 360- 32
Wii- 23
PlayStation 3- 9

nyong

Banned
Weisheit said:
Whaaa?:lol
Prove it.

http://********.com/

Look at the number of million sellers on each system for starters. Take a close look at when they were released as well. You can't factor in Red Steel without considering its release date (hint: launch), for instance.

Look at recent releases and sales compared to the other consoles. Consider who might be purchasing the titles that do sell. I guarantee you that the number of sales corresponds to the number of 'real' gamers who own the system, before considering the bloated sales from fad frenzy. The sales of Nintendo titles that traditionally do well is about what you expect from any Nintendo system (higher than Gamecube on a few titles). Despite hardware numbers being considerably higher.

Extrapolate further.

EDIT: And before this gets out of hand...

I never said that Wii titles haven't sold at all. I just believe that the sales are coming from current/former gamers, not a new audience. And I believe that the sales are NOT what you expect from a game system, that caters to gamers (whom game developers target), given the size of its install base. Which leads me to believe that most system purchases are fad-driven, and not a new long-term market.

Ahhhh crap....can someone direct me towards a reputable sales website? I hope I didn't argue this for nothing. :lol

nyong said:

Going by your extremely liberal definition of "fad", when will that be? When will the time come that Nintendo's failure isn't just around the corner?

Weisheit

nyong said:

Look at the number of million sellers on each system for starters. Take a close look at when they were released as well. You can't factor in Red Steel without considering its release date (hint: launch), for instance.

Look at recent releases and sales compared to the other consoles. Consider who might be purchasing the titles that do sell. I guarantee you that the number of sales is relative to the number of 'real' gamers who own the system, before considering the bloated sales from fad frenzy. The sales of Nintendo titles that traditionally do well is about what you expect from any Nintendo system (higher than Gamecube on a few titles). Despite hardware numbers being considerably higher.

Extrapolate.
:lol

Chartzzz?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
nyong said:

Look at recent releases and sales compared to the other consoles. Consider who might be purchasing the titles that do sell. I guarantee you that the number of sales corresponds to the number of 'real' gamers who own the system, before considering the bloated sales from fad frenzy. The sales of Nintendo titles that traditionally do well is about what you expect from any Nintendo system (higher than Gamecube on a few titles). Despite hardware numbers being considerably higher.

Extrapolate.

Good fucking luck. Trying using some legitimate numbers next time and we might not laugh at you

:lol :lol :lol

nyong said:

Extrapolate.

EDIT: And before this gets out of hand...

I never said that Wii titles haven't sold at all. I just believe that the sales are coming from current/former gamers, not a new audience. And I believe that the sales are NOT what you expect from a game system, that caters to gamers (whom game developers target), given the size of its install base. Which leads me to believe that most purchases are fad-driven, and not a long-term market.

Ahhhh crap....can someone direct me towards a reputable sales website? I hope I didn't argue this for nothing. :lol
NeoGAF. Pay more attention while you're here and you might learn something.

Too bad you may not be here for much longer.

Weisheit

nyong said:
Meaning they don't play the thing as often as one would expect from a PS3 or 360 owner.
6qjkmd.jpg

PS3 is a fad confirmed?

Couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom