• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ reporter : Standard capacity of Switch game card is around 16GB

We don't know that at all.
This whole "surely they'll allow patches to be written onto the game carts" theory is easily the dumbest theory I've seen in gaming in ages. No, the carts will not be re-writable, all patches will be stored in the 32Gb of internal storage or in the MicroSD.

Hm... I find the wording of "16 Gb Standard" to be interesting. Might this mean that Nintendo will heavily encourage developers to keep their games at or below a certain size? Which party is paying the extra $$$ if a game needs to go on a bigger card than the standard?

Duxxy3

I'm not a fan of how bloated games have become this generation. This is still double the size of what 360 disk was. There won't be any install time. It'll load fast.

I think I'm turning into a Switch homer...

This whole "surely they'll allow patches to be written onto the game carts" theory is easily the dumbest theory I've seen in gaming in ages. No, the carts will not be re-writable, all patches will be stored in the 32Gb of internal storage or in the MicroSD.

We don't know it's 32GB internal.

Maybe Nintendo will share with third parties a little taste of whatever black magic they use to compress their games.

But seriously, as long as up to 64GB carts are offered for third parties to use, it doesn't really matter what Nintendo thinks the "standard" will be right now.

It'll support up to 2 TB. Yes two terabytes. SDHX.

TBF, the rumor says micro SDXC, which taps out at 512GB. Only full size SDXC cards will reach 2TB capacities.

Is that really do far fetched? Up until 3ds saves were written directly to cartridges on Nintendo handhelds, we have no idea what specific media the switch will use. Given the space constraints rumored on the system itself and the prevalence of patches this gen it makes a lot of sense to reserve space on the game card for them. Granted, it's never been done before in that capacity.

Elios83

16GB is not enough and btw a single BR layer is 25GB.
32GB is a much better option, but it really depends on what kind of games the system will get in first place.

TAS

Who are WSJ and are they credible? They seem to have sprung out of nowhere lately with Switch news and some of it sounds dubious tbh.

Z3M0G

Nintendo games don't use voice dialogue so this is fine.

3rd parties will use it as an excuse to stay away however.

Who are WSJ and are they credible? They seem to have sprung out of nowhere lately with Switch news and some of it sounds dubious tbh.

I have sources that say the Switch cartridges will actually use holographic memory chips that store up to 1TB. You guys are going to feel so foolish come January.

Why would you listen to some big "news outlet" who only has their reputation on the line? Lol.

This is clearly sarcasm, please don't ban me.

Wall Street Journal.
I think they are the Wall Street Journal and I have no idea how credible the games division is.

The Joke
Your Head

At least I hope he was joking.

rekameohs

Banned
So, if the tradition follows (DS had 128 MB standard, 512 MB max, 3DS had 2 GB standard, 8 GB max), this would have 64 GB max for game cards. Seems about right.

AntMurda

"Looks like standard capacity of Switch game card at least when console launched would be around 16; enough for one-layer Blu-ray game." - That sounds like initial batch only.

Hmm - this seems to indicate that going all digital won't really be an option. The micro sd capacity will only allow for a few games at that size :(

Somnid

I just really hope 3rd parties take a serious look at storage optimization not just for Switch but in general. It's gotten a little out of hand lately, just because 500GB is standard doesn't mean you shouldn't bother with compression and eat up a 20% of the drive. Delta patches as well. What the hell are you doing with an 8GB patch? Shipping the entire binary sans static assets?

Rodin

Already forgot how Eurogamer said in their report (you know, the one that ended up being true) that Nintendo recommends 32GB cards?

Rappy

You're gonna get a lot of shit for not knowing the Wall Street Journal, but to be fair, the person reporting on all this Switch news, Takashi Mochizuki is not very tech/game savvy.

Peltz

Hmm - this seems to indicate that going all digital won't really be an option. The micro sd capacity will only allow for a few games at that size :(

There will be larger micro SD cards that are likely to not have any compatibility issues. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 500 gig card (if one exists) working right out of the box.

So we can assume 64GB max cards, which makes sense. I wonder how cheap they can get those for though.

Now? Probably not cheap enough. 32GB is pushing it, but probably doable for $60 games. In the future? Yeah, later on 64GB of memory will probably also be doable. Unless they bring back the variable cart pricing of the 90's of course.

Now? Probably not cheap enough. 32GB is pushing it, but probably doable for $60 games. In the future? Yeah, later on 64GB of memory will probably also be doable. Unless they bring back the variable cart pricing of the 90's of course.

32 GB carts are cheap as hell and I'm sure Macronix gives them a great deal if Nintendo buys them in sheer bulk. 64 ain't too far fetched for being an early option.

Top Bottom