• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony to announce PS4 Slim and Neo next month (Playstation Meeting)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
about to take my ps4 to bestbuy for the $200 gift card.

was gonna buy the slim or neo from there anyways.

Slim should be $250 if Sony really wants to move a lot of units over the fall. I mean hell, we're talking about the cheaper version of a console that launched at $399 nearly three years ago.

Any more than that would be a disappointment.

Venuspower

Any reasons to switch to slim and not just wait for Neo?

Slim will probably have UHD and HDR Support like XBoneS has.
If you are not interested in "real" performance upgrades go for the Slim. Of course only if you have a 4K TV and want to watch UHD-BluRays.

At the end the price will be most important. It would not make sense to buy a PS4 Slim if you get a PS4 Neo for a little more money.

jbug617

Banned
If you are not interested in "real" performance upgrades go for the Slim. Of course only if you have a 4K TV and want to watch UHD-BluRays.

At the end the price will be most important. It would not make sense to buy a PS4 Slim if you get a PS4 Neo for a little more money.

According to the Slim that got leaked yesterday, it does not have UHD or HDR support.

Loxley

This makes me wonder if the Neo will have rounded edges and the slim was brought in line to have a similar design aesthetic.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Slim will be $300. Neo will be $400.

They will simply match XB1 pricing for profitability. There is currently no need to go lower. $300 is already a price drop. They are in the lead and selling well. Dropping to $250 just leaves money on the table.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Slim is a normal PS4 redesigned for maximum budget pricing. The conventional wisdom is no extra features beyond what OG PS4 has

$80 to jump from 500gb to 2 tb?

Xbox One S is a $100 jump from 500 to 2tb, so $80 isn't all that different. The reason I'd see them doing it mostly is just to avoid the optics of a $500 console out and perhaps dodge some of the "drama" that might come along such a pricepoint.

But yeah, IF they release a 2tb console, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it's $100 or slightly more for that model.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Xbox One S is a $100 jump from 500 to 2tb, so $80 isn't all that different. The reason I'd see them doing it mostly is just to avoid the optics of a $500 console out and perhaps dodge some of the "drama" that might come along such a pricepoint.

But yeah, IF they release a 2tb console, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it's $100 or slightly more for that model.

I could see that. Still, I think they'll just launch at 500gb using the same HDD as current PS4. The reasons I think this is because that's what those leaked docs indicated. That said, things change.

I wonder if my Black ops 3 special edition ps4 console will be worth anything extra with a trade in program.....Maybe I'll just try craigslist. Or If Neo has a 500 gig option I could take out the terabyte harddrive and put it in the Neo. Then sell the black ops 3 ps4 with a 500 gig harddrive in it....DECISIONS DECISIONS

Unknown?

XB1S is 299 with UHD right? So Slim could be 250$.
The only base PS4 all year has been the Black Ops bundle at $349. If they sell the slim at $299 it'd be just like selling the fat with no game. I honestly don't see them selling it with no perceived value increase.

Necron

A 100$ gap is to small.
Who will buy a weaker console, if he gets a stronger console for only 100$ more?

I expect PS4 Slim between 250$ and 299$ and PS4 Neo between 450$ and 499$. If it is cheaper I am fine with it.

That 100$ difference is exactly an enticing proposition though. I wouldn't expect the PS4 Neo to be above 399$ (I'd be very surprised if they do that). I'd sooner expect the price of the PS4 Slim being lower than 299$ (i.e. 249$). That way the gap would increase to 150$.

Coxy100

Banned
A 100$ gap is to small.
Who will buy a weaker console, if he gets a stronger console for only 100$ more?

I expect PS4 Slim between 250$ and 299$ and PS4 Neo between 450$ and 499$. If it is cheaper I am fine with it.

Me? I'd rather spend that £100 on games...

(I couldn't give a crap about 4K)

jbug617

Banned
How do we know this? I've just seen a few pictures and a boot up video.

No mention on the box.
CqZgi1NXYAAjKW7.jpg

SpotAnime

Slim will be $300. Neo will be $400.

They will simply match XB1 pricing for profitability. There is currently no need to go lower. $300 is already a price drop. They are in the lead and selling well. Dropping to $250 just leaves money on the table.

I agree. And not to say this as a slight, but an Xbox One S with a UHD drive is still an Xbox One. PS4 is the clear leader this generation, a UHD drive won't change that. There's nothing in the S that Sony should be afraid of, especially if it comes to Sony taking a loss on the hardware just to compete as an UHD player.

ItsDorf

Banned
Makes sense. Why produce two different SKU's for the same system especially since were getting the Neo.

Sony will probably make more profit off this model at current prices (why drop the price if your sony?) Cheaper model sold as a slim same cost with more profit.

Unknown?

it is going to be $299... those small price differences like $279 dont increase the sales.

$299 is $50 less than right now, good discount.

It's not a good discount considering the $349 version comes with a $60 game and a $299 slim doesn't. I'd be disappointed if it was $299. I would trade in my fatty for $249 but 3 years and only a $100 price drop? Nah! Pretty lame.

Servbot24

Banned
It's not a good discount considering the $349 version comes with a $60 game and a $299 slim doesn't. I'd be disappointed if it was $299. I would trade in my fatty for $249 but 3 years and only a $100 price drop? Nah! Pretty lame.

So why not just include a game with the Slim too?

Elios83

It might pretty well be 299$ with a game included.
Slim+ Uncharted 4 at 299$ would be a great deal for example.
I doubt they'll go for 250$ in September. It's not necessary.
That price will be reached anyway this year with promotions during Black Friday week and December.
For Neo I'm expecting 399$ because that has been the ''magic'' launch price of new platforms for them since 2013 and there is really nothing in the leaked specs that suggests that Neo in 2016 is worth more than what the PS4 was in 2013. It's essentially an upclocked PS4 with a better GPU because of the more advanced manufacturing process but probably the die area is the same of the 28nm APU in the current PS4.
They might ask 449$ if the specs have been upgraded and/or if they're bundling games and UHD movies with it though.

Edit: Well yeah the leaked box seems to suggest that at least in Europe the Slim will be sold unbundled so who knows, I doubt the price will be lower than 299$ anyway.

My Guess:
PS4 Slim 500gb bundles: Destiny the Collection Bundle, Uncharted Saga Bundle - $299
PS4 Neo 1TB - $399
PS4 Neo 2TB with Infinite Warfare/MW (and a Collector's Edition design) - $499

Ultimate Playstation 4 Bunduru comes with PS4 Neo 1TB + PSVR Bundle for $799

Top Bottom