• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony to announce PS4 Slim and Neo next month (Playstation Meeting)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Just checked Gamestop and can confirm the trade value for PS4 has dropped to 150

itshappening.gif

God dammit!
pPJApDs.png

MrCarter

Sony really is firing on all cyclinders. We have the new PS4 slim, PS4 Neo, a possible new handheld (?) AND a new firmware update that makes using the PS4 even more smoother to use than before. They are on a roll.

d9b

Banned
Sony really is firing on all cyclinders. We have the new PS4 slim, PS4 Neo, a possible new handheld (?) AND a new firmware update that makes using the PS4 even more smoother to use than before. They are on a roll.
PSVR as well.

SaucyJack

think it's time to wake up.

PS4 Slim will be about £250 for the 500GB model. £230 absolute lowest if they want to undercut the XB1S (£250 w/FIFA 17 bundle 500GB). As for Neo, I'd guess £400-450

You know that you can get a 500Gb PS4 for not much more than £250 now, right?

Never forget developing markets. It is something of utter importance to Sony.

The 50$ can make a huge difference in 3rd world countries. And all those potential buyers are tied to ecosystem once in.

In my country (Croatia) the PS4 has great sales, but pricing it at 270 euro (for example) would quadriple the holliday sales. And all those people will reconsider Neo in 2017/2018.

I'm not arguing that making it cheaper so that they can sell it for cheaper is a bad thing, in fact, quite the opposite. It's smart business and will get even more PS4 units out there.

But let's not kid ourselves that Neo isn't Sony's #1 priority and all the decisions being made is to make that console look like the best option for people who can afford it. I was thinking of getting the slim but after seeing it, I'm definitely going Neo.

kswiston

You guys will get a $299 slim, bringing the price $100 below launch. Canada will get a $399 slim, bringing the price to the original launch price. Feels bad :(

Personal bet.
Slim: September
PSVR October.
Neo: November 15th (PS4 third anniversary / GT Sport launch)

If this were to ever be true I will be very sad for the my wallet. Fall is already the time of the year for a glut of new games, add in the PSVR plus it's games and things are expensive enough. Add in the Neo and it goes catastrophic for my finances. My wife was sold on the PSVR but I expect to get the evil eye if I also get the Neo. :/

Oppo

I want to see the reveal where they say which games that are already out will get performance updates.

guessing a lot of Sony first party stuff obviously. but devs have been able to patch for awhile.

Opt1kon_

Well I'll still get the NEO, but I'll definitely be keeping my OG Darth Vader PS4 as well. I kinda had a feeling they would phase out the OG PS4

Ferr986

I want to see the reveal where they say which games that are already out will get performance updates.

guessing a lot of Sony first party stuff obviously. but devs have been able to patch for awhile.

Wouldn't expect much tbh. They're not forced to do it.

I also want to see if they will do side by side comparisons of games with PS Neo vs Vanilla PS4.
How do you sell a new console without directly saying "hey look how shit this looks on the old machine?!"

Delicate balancing act, I don't envy their marketing dept.

SpaceHorror

I really hope we get some sweet trade up deals from the likes of Gamestop. I really want a Neo but I don't know if I can justify it this year without some kind of trade up program.

Raymo

I think the Slim price is correct but the Neo I doubt will be more than $399. $399 seems to be the sweet spot.

I don't see the price difference being $100. $100 more and you get better graphics, larger HDD, and UHD Bluray drive? I think either the slim is less than $300 or the Neo is more than $400.

If they're pricing at $499, there better be either a ram bump or a clock bump, or some other killer feature.

As it is, the current leaked spec Neo isn't quite worth $499 to me, and even if it came with a redesigned controller and a terabyte HDD, the $449 price point would seem more like the right price.

I don't see the price difference being $100. $100 more and you get better graphics, larger HDD, and UHD Bluray drive? I think either the slim is less than $300 or the Neo is more than $400.

Was there something I missed about the HDD size? I thought the leaks indicated that NEO would use the same 500GB HDD as the regular PS4?

Anyway, my bets are with:
- $250 PS4 slim, no games included
- $299 PS4 slim game bundle

- $400 PS4k w/500GB HDD and 1 game
- $450 PS4k w/1TB HDD and 1 game

If assumptions are right. the slim model should be out in time for Persona 5 in Japan. And FFXV bundle should be a no brainer.

I'd suspect Neo launches in October.

Microsoft has a deal with SE for FF15 so I would expectva One S bundle before a PS4 Slim bundle... in the US at least.

Peterc

Where's the Vita 2?

Why would you want to have a vita2?

They only way it could work is when they copy nintendo their hybrid system.
That way you'll piss-off people that purchased ps4slim/neo.

Handheld only will place sony in a bad spot. Nobody is going to support it. Sony has enough work with PSVR. It's like nintendo would say, let's bring us another wii or virtual boy system besides wiiu and nx

They need to focus on PS/4/4SLIM/4NEO/VR making enough sales and keeps having a good library.

Microsoft has a deal with SE for FF15 so I would expectva One S bundle before a PS4 Slim bundle... in the US at least.

I really wonder where this assumption comes from that MS somehow has XV marketing deal. I have seen several people saying this when there is absolutely no indication of it happening. Actually if I remember right Kagari said in some thread that it's total bs.

ironcreed

Banned
Releasing both pieces of hardware so close to each other may cause a fair bit of confusion.

I am glad Microsoft is waiting until the end of next year to release Scorpio. As I am not going to be ready to upgrade until about mid 2018, so the timing is just better for me. But Neo will of course be there when I am ready. It's just too early for me and I am still more than happy with my OG PS4 and Xbox One.

Yes but can PS4 Slim read UHD Blu-Ray?

Not joking about Jeff_Rigby's thread here, serious and legitimate question imo since Xbox One S is a sort of slim UHD ready version of the Xbox One.

I was seeing MS gaining momentum with the first UHD ready console on the market but it may not be the a big advantage for too long. Do it Sony !

no fanboy here, just buying the same system as the one I own with UHD is just better for me

Lady Gaia

My guess is $279 slim and $399 Neo.

That sounds more realistic than $250 at this point. Of course we'll see some holiday discounting but a retail price this year that reflects a slight break over the Xbox One S makes sense. The pricing for Neo won't be lower than $399 but I could also see it starting out a bit higher. It's harder to pin down given how novel this strategy is.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Releasing both pieces of hardware so close to each other may cause a fair bit of confusion.

The slim is just replacing the older one though, I doubt they will push it as a new console and will probably just market the lower price. It's still just going to be the PS4 and PS4 Neo.

Top Bottom