• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible, but if they are going to do a beta and still release the final game October or November of next year, that doesn't leave much time to actually make any meaningful changes. Of course, there has been no mention of a beta and no actual release date info teased.

I dunno, I feel like there's no need for a one-year-in-advance Halo 6 beta?

Unlike Halo 4 -> 5 where 343i probably had massive concerns regarding the gameplay and how the fans would react to it, gameplay of H5 has been well liked by the players.

I don't see H6 making a fundamental shift away from that, so they don't really need super early betas for H6.

One week to go, here are my predictions!

- $399 for basic Scorpio, $499 for the deluxe with bigger hard drive and new elite controller
- Battletoads by some third party studio no one has ever heard of
- Halo Reach campaign add-on for Master Chief Collection (available now)
- Splinter Cell console exclusive funded by Microsoft
- Crackdown 3 campaign reveal
- Sea of Thieves (open beta available now)
- Assassin's Creed with some exclusive dlc bullshit
- Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 coming to EA Access Vault this summer
- Mordor 2 with some exclusive dlc bullshit
- Games With Gold expanding to include one Play Anywhere Windows 10 game each month
- State of Decay 2 gameplay reveal
- 1 vs 100 successor by Studio Gobo
- Ori 2 reveal trailer
- Forza 7
- ID@Xbox montage with Cuphead and Below release dates
- New IP by a renowned third party studio published by Microsoft

I've listened to a few podcasts over the weekend and I think I'm going into this E3 with the least amount of hype or anticipation for an Xbox presser ever.

I'm not saying its going to be a disaster, I think it'll be a good to middling show but with them being in a distant second place, having new hardware releasing this year and the fact they have a lot of negative mind share around the brand in general they need to knock it out the park and inspire and invigorate the market.

I just don't know if they have it in them.

BatSu

- $399 for basic Scorpio, $499 for the deluxe with bigger hard drive and new elite controller
- Games With Gold expanding to include one Play Anywhere Windows 10 game each month
- Ori 2 reveal trailer
- Forza 7

Tomb Raider 3 exclusive one year

I've listened to a few podcasts over the weekend and I think I'm going into this E3 with the least amount of hype or anticipation for an Xbox presser ever.

I'm not saying its going to be a disaster, I think it'll be a good to middling show but with them being in a distant second place, having new hardware releasing this year and the fact they have a lot of negative mind share around the brand in general they need to knock it out the park and inspire and invigorate the market.

What podcasts did you listen to?

I don't think it should matter whether they can have a stellar conference that gets people in general engaged. You're already invested in the platform so it should just be about whether what they show is what you want.

I'm not into the ecosystem so the show would have to be stellar for someone like me but it will be fine if it isn't. I just expect a decent show from MS as usual that resonates with their core audience.

Kssio_Aug

- Ori 2 reveal trailer
- Forza 7

NAH!! I don't think we're gonna get any of the bolded. And I hope those exclusive DLCs don't happen (but these in fact I don't doubt too much).

I think a new Forza and Ori 2 reveals are very likely, yeah. Steate of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 may have a gameplay and release date (otherwise, we may assume Crackdown 3 was dumped). We may have a release date for Sea of Thieves too.

Other than that I expect 2 or 3 new games (one of them being a bigger surprise), and than a focus on Scorpio hardware and advanatages, as well as bundles and price to close the conference.

I mean, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. But I think will be that, more or less.

Announcement for this year or next year's E3

A spiritual successor to Ryse since Crytek won't sell that worthless IP for some reason
Sunset Overdrive 2

Make it happen brother Phillip.

Unlike Halo 4 -> 5 where 343i probably had massive concerns regarding the gameplay and how the fans would react to it, gameplay of H5 has been well liked by the players.

I don't see H6 making a fundamental shift away from that, so they don't really need super early betas for H6.
But betas are so much fun! :D You make a good point though about H6 not expected to be a major departure from 5, and I'm totally for 343 building upon what they've accomplished with 5. Still, I hope we get a beta just because lol.

NAH!! I don't think we're gonna get any of the bolded. And I hope those exclusive DLCs don't happen (but these in fact I don't doubt too much).

I think a new Forza and Ori 2 reveals are very likely, yeah. Steate of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 may have a gameplay and release date (otherwise, we may assume Crackdown 3 was dumped). We may have a release date for Sea of Thieves too.

Other than that I expect 2 or 3 new games (one of them being a bigger surprise), and than a focus on Scorpio hardware and advanatages, as well as bundles and price to close the conference.

I mean, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check. But I think will be that, more or less.

But he's right.. Splinter Cell belongs with the Xbox.. And I think it's a great franchise to keep alive especially after Blacklist...

If MS is smart, they would work a deal to keep this IP alive...

jelly

They should get Panos Panay to re-introduce Scorpio.

He's the best car salesman they have.

I've cooled on him now when he hypes nothing now like Apple does.

Would be so down for another Splinter Cell. That and Halo got me to buy an Original Xbox.

Perhaps, alternatively they're not changing much so the playable builds should be ready earlier than usual, and they have been testing some interesting radar/no automatics stuff in H5 recently so they could test that. Ideally I would like for them to actually bother with BTB this time, so that, and working vehicle physics would be good to put to the test.

Splinter Cell funded by MS is just speculation though, right? I mean why wouldn't Ubi just bring SC to both Xbox and Playstation? Or do you guys think Ubi doesn't have enough faith in the franchise anymore?

blakep267

last year was pretty bad to be honest. No way I see this year being worse

Even 2015 was meh. The thing is, while we know the games already, if they can deliver mind blowing demos that automatically makes it better than the last few years. Im of the mindset that suprise announced increments aren't better than great demos

Speculation, because Convictions was exclusive to Xbox/PC, and Blacklist sold really poorly, notably so on PS3. ( like 70:30 ratio )

Granted, it's easy to associate the poor sales of Blacklist on PS3 due to the fact that the previous game in the franchise skipped that console audience ( similar to how Mass Effect 2/3 sold really poorly on PS3 ), but that is the reality of the SC franchise at that point.

Speculation I'm assuming, but I could see MS funding it.

Speculation, because Convictions was exclusive to Xbox/PC, and Blacklist sold really poorly, notably so on PS3. ( like 70:30 ratio )

Granted, it's easy to associate the poor sales of Blacklist on PS3 due to the fact that the previous game in the franchise skipped that console audience ( similar to how Mass Effect 2/3 sold really poorly on PS3 ), but that is the reality of the SC franchise at that point.

Ah yes, but there haven't been any signs or leaks that point to a new SC? I mean without a official confirmation yet we already know the new AC is likely coming this year.

blakep267

I just don't think Ubi is the kind of company that would do an exclusive game, not for a Nintendo system. If they wanted to do something with splinter cell they would themselves. Capcom or Sega are much better candidates for that. I would've added SEnin there but they now have their western studios doing marvel stuff

Do we have any sales figure for Blacklist?

Taking out Michael Ironside also didn't help...

Bsigg12

A week from today I'll be playing games on the Scorpio.

giphy.gif

last year was pretty bad to be honest. No way I see this year being worse

Even 2015 was meh. The thing is, while we know the games already, if they can deliver mind blowing demos that automatically makes it better than the last few years. Im of the mindset that suprise announced increments aren't better than great demos

Agreed. What can make this conference great for me are convincing demos of Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, and State of Decay 2.

Announcements mean absolutely nothing to me without gameplay footage. That's why I can't get excited about Death Stranding or State of Decay 2 yet.

Linkified

I just don't think Ubi is the kind of company that would do an exclusive game, not for a Nintendo system. If they wanted to do something with splinter cell they would themselves. Capcom or Sega are much better candidates for that. I would've added SEnin there but they now have their western studios doing marvel stuff

As long as the money is right - I doubt any publisher would complain.

jelly

Taking out Michael Ironside also didn't help...

He didn't want to do it anyway because he dislikes the direction the games went. Conviction was also on contract so couldn't get out of that one. I don't think he cares for the character arc into extreme violence to resolve matters.

I always loved the chat with Grim and Ironside Sam.

blakep267

As long as the money is right - I doubt any publisher would complain.
You say if the money is right, But why would MS give Ubi a treasure trove for Splinter cell. That's silly. Ubi weighs the costs of having whatever studio makes it not having them on a sequel to an existing game ex division, wildlands etc

He didn't want to do it anyway because he dislikes the direction the games went. Conviction was also on contract so couldn't get out of that one. I don't think he cares for the character arc into extreme violence to resolve matters.

I always loved the chat with Grim and Ironside Sam.

But I am also pretty sure I read somewhere how he loved blacklist.. he was overall surprised.. and there were rumours he was working once again with UBI...

Linkified

You say if the money is right, But why would MS give Ubi a treasure trove for Splinter cell. That's silly. Ubi weighs the costs of having whatever studio makes it not having them on a sequel to an existing game ex division, wildlands etc

Well not likely a treasure trove ... Ubisoft has two reasons
1)Someone else pays for the development and marketing and Ubisoft sits back and collects the money.
2)Its either focus one studio on a Splinter Cell game or have them become a helper studio for every other title.
3)Xbox and Tom Clancy their is some nostalgia from Xbox OG and Xbox 360.

Personally I would prefer them to make a new Tom Clancy Ghost Recon game in the style of the first that came to 360.

blakep267

Well not likely a treasure trove ... Ubisoft has two reasons
1)Someone else pays for the development and marketing and Ubisoft sits back and collects the money.
2)Its either focus one studio on a Splinter Cell game or have them become a helper studio for every other title.
3)Xbox and Tom Clancy their is some nostalgia from Xbox OG and Xbox 360.

Personally I would prefer them to make a new Tom Clancy Ghost Recon game in the style of the first that came to 360.
Ubi doesn't need somebody else to pay for development costs. That's where it falls apart. They're doing fine as a company aside from the hostile takeover. Capcom is the kind of company that needs development costs paid for for games

jelly

Microsoft should just make their own Splinter Cell with a new Perfect Dark or new IP. We can all wish for a great return of Splinter Cell but Microsoft could if they wanted to, green light something new in that category of game and bring it forward to new audiences. A 3rd person cyberpunk female lead espionage action game. Yes please. Maybe Ironside could be her mentor!

My charts are ready. My expectations are simple.

a. at least one AAA new IP announcement
b. better announcement slate than last year (not quality of show)

I5QnJEl.png

NPD results, I believe were...

SC: Convictions = 490k ( 360 & PC only )

SC: Blacklist = 300k ( 360, PS3, WiiU & PC )

tldr; Blacklist on 4 platforms sold sizably less than Convictions on 2 platforms.

I had no idea that both Conviction and Blacklist didn't do all that great. It used to be a big selling franchise, right?

Where MS doing an exclusive deal for Splinter Cell falls apart for me is:

Ubi has been incredibly successful with their games this gen. New IPs and old alike. Just massive sellers because Ubi has figured out the mainstream market. I think a new SC has the potential to be just as big as some of those games if it releases now.

Ubi was also dumb by not releasing Blacklist for current gen consoles. That game was amazing and it's MP community died too quick.

Hawk269

Well folks we are one week out to the MS conference. I think for MS there is a lot more riding on this years show than any other for them. With that said, I am going to keep my expectations in check. I do however expect at least 1 (one) major AAA Exclusive announcement that no one is aware of. Outside of that, my expectations not high. I expect a great Scorpio presentation and with the show being in 4k, I expect some spectacular looking games, weather they are new ones and/or demo's of existing games with Scorpio updates.

Outside of that, I am keeping things in check. Last year, I somehow missed the leak hours before the show, but I also was in California and the show was at 9am, so I slept in till 8am, had coffee and breakfast and watched it on spike then came to gaf. With the show at 2pm PST, that is a lot of time before the show and am not sure I can stay away from Gaf until the show starts. We will see though.

Could we possibly get a new Forza franchise at E3 instead of F7? It's strange that they've waited this long to confirm the game, and there were rumores of the games switching to a 3 year dev cycle.

I know Jez expects F7 but he also expected it at the Scorpio spec showing. That ended up being Forza 6 instead.
I think so too, specially with them getting to the trouble to update Forza 6 including even dynamic weather. And would be weird for them not to gives us Forza 6 after showing it, and on the other hand, why would they add features that would be OK to hold for a sequel if there was a sequel coming at the same time frame.

What podcasts did you listen to?

I don't think it should matter whether they can have a stellar conference that gets people in general engaged. You're already invested in the platform so it should just be about whether what they show is what you want.

I'm not into the ecosystem so the show would have to be stellar for someone like me but it will be fine if it isn't. I just expect a decent show from MS as usual that resonates with their core audience.

I had a few hours to kill so I listened to Easy Allies and Glixel, both had a focus on Xbox and their predictions for them for E3. It wasn't exactly inspiring shall we say.

I hope and think that they will have excellent showings for SoT, FM7, CD3 and SoD2 and that will be great - I'll buy all four day one but E3 for me isn't about the known, its about the unknown, the surprises those moments of shock. It's been ages since Xbox had one of those moments (BC doesn't count) and I genuinely struggle to see where that jaw dropping reveal comes from.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer and I'll probably enjoy the show but this year more than any other should be Phil putting down a marker and saying "Here, we have the best hardware and the best place to play third parties but look what else we have that you can't get on any other consoles."

When the PS3 came through its rocky spell it did it off the back of the Slim and a slew of great exclusives, Xbox can do the same but the will has to be there and I'm not sure if it is.

Hopefully in just over a weeks time I can look back at this post and laugh at how much I got wrong, hopefully :)

But not even a small sign or rumor before E3? I recall that there was a tease or at least a sign that FH3 was on the way.
There was a playground tweet that practically flat out said that they were working on FH3, but I can't remember the date so it would clear that they would announce at e3.

jdmonmou

MS needs to focus on games so I'm expecting a few megaton announcements about exclusive 1st and 3rd party games. If the presentation is primarily about Scorpio I will be disappointed.

There was a playground tweet that practically flat out said that they were working on FH3, but I can't remember the date so it would clear that they would announce at e3.

Yeah that's what I remember, a tweet. It's probably still FM7 though. Before DF had their Scorpio articles it was even rumored multiple times that FM7 would be shown there. But it would be so good if they'd surprise everyone with a new spin off. Quite a bold thing to do too.

- Ori 2 reveal trailer
- Forza 7

1 vs 100 was god tier. So much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom