• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox E3 Conference 6/11 2pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawk269

I had a few hours to kill so I listened to Easy Allies and Glixel, both had a focus on Xbox and their predictions for them for E3. It wasn't exactly inspiring shall we say.

I hope and think that they will have excellent showings for SoT, FM7, CD3 and SoD2 and that will be great - I'll buy all four day one but E3 for me isn't about the known, its about the unknown, the surprises those moments of shock. It's been ages since Xbox had one of those moments (BC doesn't count) and I genuinely struggle to see where that jaw dropping reveal comes from.

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer and I'll probably enjoy the show but this year more than any other should be Phil putting down a marker and saying "Here, we have the best hardware and the best place to play third parties but look what else we have that you can't get on any other consoles."

When the PS3 came through its rocky spell it did it off the back of the Slim and a slew of great exclusives, Xbox can do the same but the will has to be there and I'm not sure if it is.

Hopefully in just over a weeks time I can look back at this post and laugh at how much I got wrong, hopefully :)

That is not entirely surprising...I mean, MS's output as far as 1st party has not been fantastic and of course they are going to compare MS's output to Sony's 1st party output. I think this makes it even more important for MS to really come to E3 and show what this new direction that Phil has been working on. They will have the hardware like many have said, but that can only take you so far. Having the best place to play 3rd party games outside of a good PC is something to thump your chest about, but adding in some really good and/or new IP's are 1st party titles is also very important.

I wonder if we will see a new RTS type of game. MS created a separate division for these type of games and Dan Ayoub was in charge of it. Dan has moved on (which is a good news, since he jacked up MCC and HW2), I do wonder however if we will see Age of Empires IV or something else from that group?

Ayoub's group was/is a part of 343, heading external game development for Halo. Not a larger strategy games group for Xbox as a whole to my knowledge.

Green Yoshi

A week from today I'll be playing games on the Scorpio.

giphy.gif

You mean a PC with the same specs as Scorpio? ;-)

Chobel

Im sorry man, no publisher would sign a contract tying their release date to the fluid release date of another publisher.

That's INSANE. Imagine if they sign that, then uncharted was pushed back a year? How would Square Enix's investors feel about their finished game having to sit on the shelf at the whim of Sony publishing? Makes no sense.

I'd think Square Enix investors would've liked if the game was released in less busy period and had more success, and it's not like SE would outright say "we have finished it but we won't release it until 4 months later lol".

With Titan fall 2, there would have been no contract language tying it directly to the release date of COD and BF2, but there would be language tying it to a specific quarter- and they would have chosen one that differs from where COD and BF typically release.

There 'other' option, would have been to release in the Spring- the same time period where TF1 launched and was much more successful that TF2 despite having no SP, and being an Xbox console exclusive.

Sorry but I call bullshit. MS always tries to target Q4 and late Q3 for their big games no matter what, and Titanfall 2 had no chance of Q3 release, so it would have ended up as Q4.

And there was no other option, the only way MS would have delayed Titanfall 2 is if it wasn't ready.

Sorry but I call bullshit. MS always tries to target Q4 and late Q3 for their big games no matter what, and Titanfall 2 had no chance of Q3 release, so it would have ended up as Q4.

And there was no other option, the only way MS would have delayed Titanfall 2 is if it wasn't ready.
In a hypothetical where Titanfall 2 is an Xbox exclusive and they also own the schedule, I don't think it's ridiculous that they would have entertained the idea of pushing it to this spring. In fact, it would have made a lot of sense for them considering their light release schedule in the first half of this year.

Trup1aya

I'd think Square Enix investors would've liked if the game was released in less busy period and had more success, and it's not like SE would outright say "we have finished it but we won't release it until 4 months later lol".

Listen to what you are saying... your suggesting that if MS had any say in when RotTR released, they would have forced SE to push the date back to coincide with Uncharted's delay.

I'm saying that's completely irrational. No publisher WOULD EVER sign anything that would require them to follow another publishers release schedule- because they would lose all control over their fiscals. If their roadmap called for a holiday release, they aren't going to push the date just because Uncharted did. What if Uncharted had a second delay? You think SE is going to let Sony string out their own releases indefinitely? That's unfathomable.

SE and MS sat at the table, and decided a holiday release would be best for each party, and so they signed the deal. If either one didn't like the terms, they wouldn't have signed. Hindsight is 20/20.

Call it what you want, but TF1 also targeted holiday, and was pushed back to spring and was a great success. They had historical data to show that this would have been a good decision, and holiday had MORE 1st and 3rd party titles to contend with than they did when TF1 launched.

Chobel

Listen to what you are saying... your suggesting that if MS had any say in when RotTR released, they would have forced SE to push the date back to coincide with Uncharted's delay.

I'm saying that's completely irrational. No publisher WOULD EVER sign anything that would require them to follow another publishers release schedule- because they would lose all control over their fiscals. If their roadmap called for a holiday release, they aren't going to push the date just because Uncharted did. What if Uncharted had a second delay? You think SE is going to let Sony string out their own releases indefinitely? That's unfathomable.

SE and MS sat at the table, and decided a holiday release would be best for each party, and so they signed the deal. If either one didn't like the terms, they wouldn't have signed. Hindsight is 20/20.

If MS somehow would have had a say in Titanfall 2 release then they definitely had a say in RoTTR, even more so since they're the publisher.

And they don't need to have the same release window as UC4, just that they should have targeted less busy period. The reason RoTTR was targeting Q4 in the first place was because of UC4. Now that UC4 is no more Q4, targeting Q4 is no more required.

Call it what you want, but TF1 also targeted holiday, and was pushed back to spring and was a great success. They had historical data to show that this would have been a good decision, and holiday had MORE 1st and 3rd party titles to contend with than they did when TF1 launched.

The only reason Titanfall was not on holiday is because it wasn't ready. You must be "insane" to think they voluntarily moved it to Q1 2014.

And "historical data"? Please, actual historical data shows us MS really love Q4 release with a passion.

In a hypothetical where Titanfall 2 is an Xbox exclusive and they also own the schedule, I don't think it's ridiculous that they would have entertained the idea of pushing it to this spring. In fact, it would have made a lot of sense for them considering their light release schedule in the first half of this year.

It is ridiculous actually, I mean have you seen MS schedule in the past 3 years? Almost all their games targeted late Q3 or Q4, and the ones who miss that window are either not AAA games and/or get delayed because they weren't ready.

And you don't even have to look further than this year, as they 4 games targeting late 2017: State of Decay 2, Forza 7, Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves.

Electret

I don't think it's true but just imagine:

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/379090451

Either way, if they were chasing a service model for Fable an MMO light makes so much more sense for the franchise than a asymmetrical moba that I really don't know why they didn't tried it before.

Fanfiction if I've ever heard it.

Timed exclusivity for Borderlands 3? I thought Spence himself they were avoiding those type of deals in the future.

blakep267

Either way, if they were chasing a service model for Fable an MMO light makes so much more sense for the franchise than a asymmetrical moba that I really don't know why they didn't tried it before.
Let's not give this any traction. Dino crisis means fake

Fanfiction if I've ever heard it.

Timed exclusivity for Borderlands 3? I thought Spence himself they were avoiding those type of deals in the future.
I don't really believe that to be honest. If Take 2 were willing, MS would bite. You don't turn that down. List is fake tho

It is ridiculous actually, I mean have you seen MS schedule in the past 3 years? Almost all their games targeted late Q3 or Q4, and the ones who miss that window are either not AAA games and/or get delayed because they weren't ready.

And you don't even have to look further than this year, as they 4 games targeting late 2017: State of Decay 2, Forza 7, Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves.

So, there's zero chance they'll ever release games on a different scheduling cadence than the last couple of years? lol come on

Hell, Halo Wars 2 is one where it might have been moved to clear it out of holiday frenzy.

No?

They chose not to pick up a game during a pitch by Obsidian, no other publisher picked it up either. Game was never announced or ever signed by MS.
Games signed from the info we got but still Ms didn't fucked them.

Even Obsidian acknowledged that the game was behind schedule and over budgeted and games like that on Ms only goes ahead when there's someone that believes in the project (inside ms) to put their assess on the line for the game.

Edit: Since there are many times that Ms allows games to be delayed or over budget I would say it's more like that cancelations occur if after asking for the delay or more money in a state where executives lost faith on the project.

Chobel

So, there's zero chance they'll ever release games on a different scheduling cadence than the last couple of years? lol come on

Hell, Halo Wars 2 is one where it might have been moved to clear it out of holiday frenzy.

When it's a big hyped game? Yes, zero chance they don't target Q4. Titanfall was Juggernaut, so it made sense for Titanfall 2 to target Q4.

And Halo Wars 2 wasn't moved, it just wasn't ready.

EDIT: That 4chan "leak" is fake as fuck.

Zeta Oni

Ok, so after reading this I'm thinking its time to go dark.

See you all on the other side!

Common sense, and the fact that it had beta in January 2017.

The January 2017 was the second beta, they had one in June of 2016 as well (which was when they announced the February release date). In any case, not sure how that proves it was pushed because it was "not ready".

Obviously, it's undeniable that MSFT likes Q3 and Q4 for their major releases the last few years, but to state that unquestionably a title moved out of Q4 cannot be because they thought it would have a better release window elsewhere without any evidence to support that is just trying to force everything into that narrative.

No way. This would be such a radical turnaround in terms of exclusive output from MS. Obsidian working for MS after the Stormlands upset? Why would MS leverage Ninja Gaiden when they could create their own answer to it?

Only thing remotely plausible is a multiplat Western Monster Hunter.

I'm taking Jez's word as admission that because he knows a few of the major announcements (but not all) and they're not on that list, he's discrediting it.

Chobel

The January 2017 was the second beta, they had one in June of 2016 as well (which was when they announced the February release date). In any case, not sure how that proves it was pushed because it was "not ready".

Because that beta was not ready, and I mean it wasn't finished product, it had the usual issues and bugs of a beta.

Obviously, it's undeniable that MSFT likes Q3 and Q4 for their major releases the last few years, but to state that unquestionably a title moved out of Q4 cannot be because they thought it would have a better release window elsewhere without any evidence to support that is just trying to force everything into that narrative.

MS track record with their releases is more than enough evidence.

Is it theoretically possible MS voluntarily release a big AAA game in Q1/Q2? Yes. Is it plausible? No, especially looking at current slate for 2017.

MCD

NG doesn't make sense too.

Team Ninja are prolly busy with DOA6 and Ni-Oh dlcs. And they even said that NG is on hold for quite some time.

I wouldn't get hyped tbh.

Maybe just maybe a NG collection. This I can believe.

Because that beta was not ready, and I mean it wasn't finished product, it had the usual issues and bugs of a beta.

MS track record with their releases is more than enough evidence.

Is it theoretically possible MS voluntarily release a big AAA game in Q1/Q2? Yes. Is it plausible? No, especially looking at current slate for 2017.

Alright, agree to disagree.

Ya kinda contradicting

Back then he said he didn't know of anything, perhaps something changed from now and them?

Because yeah, last week he was all: E3 will be to cement that Scorpio is the best way for multiplats and to show this year's great games. Great things are coming but it's too early to show them.

Trup1aya

If MS somehow would have had a say in Titanfall 2 release then they definitely had a say in RoTTR, even more so since they're the publisher.

And they don't need to have the same release window as UC4, just that they should have targeted less busy period. The reason RoTTR was targeting Q4 in the first place was because of UC4. Now that UC4 is no more Q4, targeting Q4 is no more required.

You still don't seem to understand. The holiday release was already agreed upon by all parties. There would be no clause in the contract that would see the game follow Uncharted around the calendar.

The only reason Titanfall was not on holiday is because it wasn't ready. You must be "insane" to think they voluntarily moved it to Q1 2014.

And "historical data"? Please, actual historical data shows us MS really love Q4 release with a passion.

The "reason" TF1 was moved is irrelevant. It did move and it was successful in the Spring. Meanwhile games that did not move were crushed under the weight of heavy hitters. THIS is the historical data. MS might be passionate about Q4, but they aren't passionate about going head to head w/ COD or canninbalizing sales of their own shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom