• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

We are definitely pleasantly surprised by the consumer response to this product. The controller was designed for a niche consumer base, for the hardcore and pro players. We did not expect the demand that this controller received. We do plan on increasing production of the product to meet consumer demand. On another note, I'm pleased to be reading the positive impressions from you guys. Really glad you guys are liking this controller!

Awesome! I just got mine today and I can't wait to use it!

I hope future versions will have different skins/colors other than Black :p

Reading all these impressions and how happy everyone seems to be with this controller makes that wait for Nov 6th seem even further away.

Why do we always get shafted in Australia? :(

Vestal

Gold Member
I found that Hair Trigger mode in Halo 5 keeps the plasma pistol from being able to charge. Seems like an issue.

it happened to me at first but now its working right. Make sure to launch the Accessory app from within the xbox one I had an update there waiting for me.

When I have my left trigger in hair trigger mode, it seems to stick just a tiny bit against the blocker. Like a tiny piece of tape holding them together for a moment. It's annoying, but not impossible to look past.

Frustrating for a $150 controller. I might contact XBox.

golem

We are definitely pleasantly surprised by the consumer response to this product. The controller was designed for a niche consumer base, for the hardcore and pro players. We did not expect the demand that this controller received. We do plan on increasing production of the product to meet consumer demand. On another note, I'm pleased to be reading the positive impressions from you guys. Really glad you guys are liking this controller!

Its an awesome controller... now make more accessories for it!

Hey Phil! I know you probably already have but just in case you haven't, throw a nice party for the controller team. They deserve it. If you guys are reading this, well done. I don't think I'm ever going to be able to go back to a normie controller. It's like the moment I fell in love with my wife. Before we were dating I was exhausted after work with my head resting on the table and out of nowhere she pushed a huge hamburger that she made from scratch underneath it. No other hamburgers but hers have tasted better since. That's how this controller feels to me.

Wallach

Just got done playing a couple hours of Halo 5. This might be the best controller. Even the directional pad is up there with the greats.

Good to know. Keep up the good work Uncle Phil. 😀

SpacLock

Phil, you beautiful bastard. Great job to the team behind this bad boy.

Hawk269

Now make a true Elite Xbox One console with a 2TB SSHD, Improved GPU/CPU and be able to play all existing games in 1080p/60fps, 8xAA, 16xAF. All future games can be like PC games, if they detect the standard Xbox One, it runs at whatever, it detects a Xbox One Elite system then it runs at higher specs.

That was just some wishful thinking...but truly the controller is great. Really love the quality and it feels great.

Heretic

LOVE this controller so much! Need some getting used to though. Keep hitting the right upper paddle instead of the trigger to shoot. Died plenty of times because of this. Getting better with it though :)

Ubersnug

Absolutely loving this controller. Fantastic job your peripheral team has done, Phil.

However , one issue, the headset adapter. Anyone having issues with hearing people chat through it but is unable to transmit your
Voice back? I had to resort to using the single jack to the side of the headset adapter which resulted in having to use the terrible dashboard mic/game audio controls.

Septic360

Banned
Absolutely loving this controller. Fantastic job your peripheral team has done, Phil.

However , one issue, the headset adapter. Anyone having issues with hearing people chat through it but is unable to transmit your
Voice back? I had to resort to using the single jack to the side of the headset adapter which resulted in having to use the terrible dashboard mic/game audio controls.

No problems like that on my end.

Absolutely loving this thing. My review should be out soon but damn does this feel great.

Its crazy how intuitive the paddles feel. I was wondering how my ring finger and pinky would adjust to this but wow.

I suggest that you sit down and think about the button mapping first. I did that with my Halo 5 preset. I've got sprint, crouch (for the slide) on the left two paddles and thruster and grenades on the right two. I have left trigger for aiming down sights. I might chop and change though.

SpacLock

SOMEONE PLEASE TEST OUT THE SENSITIVITY CURVES. damn it.

I did if you seen my previous post. There was a dead zone programmed into Halo 5 that I was able to eliminate with the aggressive sensitivity setting applied to the right stick. If that's what you're referring to, they work beautifully.

MCD

Elite headset better be next. Tired of Turtle Beach and their exclusivity on wireless headset (no chat cable).

Thanks for the update Phil really appreciate that! :)
Is that for all territories? Because here in the EU its also sold out EVERYWHERE sadly :(

CaLe

For those that have it, is it worth the asking price? I'm interested, but with a newborn I'm trying to limit my gaming purchases to must haves...

SwolBro

Banned
I did if you seen my previous post. There was a dead zone programmed into Halo 5 that I was able to eliminate with the aggressive sensitivity setting applied to the right stick. If that's what you're referring to, they work beautifully.

bless you, good sir.

343 offered their own settings didn't they? did you use that or use the settings options/ make your own curve?

MIMF

A couple of related questions for the guys that are already enjoying it:

Is it comfortable to use the controller with the four paddles attached when you do not need to use them and do not want to deattach them?

Do the paddles have enough mechanical resistance so that you can rest your fingers on them without getting pressed by mistake?

Thanks in advance.

For those owning a lunar white...do you guys think it's worth the upgrade? Remapping is coming to other controllers too,and I can't see myself using the paddles. Gaming since a long time and muscle memory may ruin the paddles for me. Hair triggers seem to be awesome though.

Anyway, probs to MS and Phil to actually release such a device. Never thought such controller would see the light of day by a first party.

SwolBro

Banned

Is it comfortable to use the controller with the four paddles attached when you do not need to use them and do not want to deattach them?

Do the paddles have enough mechanical resistance so that you can rest your fingers on them without getting pressed by mistake?

Thanks in advance.

i don't have the controller yet but from what i've read and my own experience with custom controllers..

1. if you're not using the paddles, i'd take them out.
2. i heard that they don't. they're very sensitive but trust me you want it that way. if they weren't sensitive pressing the paddles could be annoying (like my buttons on my custom controller) pressing down too hard on the back could cause your aim to be thrown off completely.

i rather have sensitive paddles than not.

people trying to jump right into 4 paddle use and then complaining are crazy. this could take people weeks to adjust to

DryvBy

I messed with this yesterday and it feels really solid and heavier. I wish there was a premium build (very hard plastic) version of other controllers now.

The people I was talking to that are big Xbox fans at work are under the impression they're going to improve their skills greatly in games now. Are there a lot of people under that impression? The arguments used for it didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. As a long time shooter fan, awareness is the most important part (ie: learning maps, gun mechanics, reaction times).

MIMF

i don't have the controller yet but from what i've read and my own experience with custom controllers..

1. if you're not using the paddles, i'd take them out.
2. i heard that they don't. they're very sensitive but trust me you want it that way. if they weren't sensitive pressing the paddles could be annoying (like my buttons on my custom controller) pressing down too hard on the back could cause your aim to be thrown off completely.

i rather have sensitive paddles than not.

people trying to jump right into 4 paddle use and then complaining are crazy. this could take people weeks to adjust to

Thanks, I do not know if this is going to be a problem for me as I have big hands and I really need to grab strongly the back of the controller in order to feel comfortable.

Maybe a back buttons design such as the ones from the steam controller would be better suited for me, when I can finally get it I will post how the paddles work out for me.

SwolBro

Banned
Thanks, I do not know if this is going to be a problem for me as I have big hands and I really need to grab strongly the back of the controller in order to feel comfortable.

Maybe a back buttons design such as the ones from the steam controller would be better suited for me, when I can finally get it I will post how the paddles work out for me.

then i'd probably say you'd only want to use the two upper slots while using the smaller paddles since i've heard those are a bit harder to press and it would give you more room in the back to grip the controller.

good luck! i can't wait to get mine.

Shy

Hi gents, quick question about the controller before i get one.

When using the elite on the PC, is it recognised as xinput device (360 controller) because i want to replace my chrome blue 360 pad that i use for everything. (i use joytokey to use it as a desktop mouse, as well as for games)
Hi Phil.

I have a small suggestion for the future, if that's cool.
Would it be possible to release a lunar variant of the elite. Please.
I think that would look amazing.

Enjoy the rest of you week.

Septic360

Banned
Honestly, this controller is so good. I simply can't go back to the old one now. It'll be like having four buttons taken away from me.

The nextbox needs to have a controller like this at launch.

Yaari

I understand limited production but I'm a little disappointed that some countries did not get any stock at all. I pre-ordered June 16th and I'm sure some people in the Netherlands were even faster than me, but no stores has any clue as to when they are getting their batch of controllers in.

Considering I was counting down the days, this kind of sucks.

That said I am happy there is a market for these controllers.

Doffen

I understand limited production but I'm a little disappointed that some countries did not get any stock at all. I pre-ordered June 16th and I'm sure some people in the Netherlands were even faster than me, but no stores has any clue as to when they are getting their batch of controllers in.

Considering I was counting down the days, this kind of sucks.

That said I am happy there is a market for these controllers.

Sounds like you've been Tier 2'd as well.

pa22word

After light usage, my first opinion as a dude with long fingers is that the big paddles suck, and make using all four impossible for me consistently because I'm constantly bumping them regardless of how I set them. The smaller ones however work really well even set stacked on one side of the controller. If they did a thing where you could buy extras I'd buy a set and stack them on both sides for the comfort. Right now, I'm using two smalls set to the bottom slots and the controller sits very well in my hands.

Very nifty controller for Dark Souls :D

Caayn

Question for the people that have it already. Can you set a profile per game? Are there presets for games available?
Yes because all shops have gone through inventory before release that is why I asked :O
I'm unaware of any shops in the Netherlands that already sold the Elite controller. There are only a handfull of shops that even offer the controller at all. And each shop has their own releasedate.

SpacLock

bless you, good sir.

343 offered their own settings didn't they? did you use that or use the settings options/ make your own curve?

The game of course has its own sensitivity settings, but they don't offer a cure to the deadzone problem. I have my sensitivity bumped up from a default of 3 (I think) to a 6, along with the elites own sensitivity option to help eliminate the deadzone.

Thanks in advance.

The paddles definitely have enough resistance, but it may take a game or two to train your hands not to tighten up during intense moments if you're the type who will be resting their fingers on the paddles at all times.

Personally, all 4 paddles made me hold the controller in a way that made my hands slightly uncomfortable, but I can easily see myself getting used to the 4 paddle grip with regular usage. So no, not too shabby!

pa22word

Question for the people that have it already. Can you set a profile per game? Are there presets for games available?

1. You can make your own profile, seemingly an unlimited number of them, but are limited to the two you can set to the switch positions on the controller itself from what I can tell. No per game automatic option that I can see.

2. On the PC app there are presets for Halo 5, one of the Forza games, Sunset Overdrive, and Gears Ultimate. One of the Forza profiles with clutch and manual transmition buttons mapped to the back looks /very/ interesting.

Chorazin

Question for the people that have it already. Can you set a profile per game? Are there presets for games available?I'm unaware of any shops in the Netherlands that already sold the Elite controller. There are only a handfull of shops that even offer the controller at all. And each shop has their own releasedate.

Yes and yes. You can use preset configs in the Accessories app, and make your own and save them. Two can be saved on the controller and switched between on the fly.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Gotta know before I drop $200 on one of these, does this controller fix the awful deadzones of the standard controllers? And I mean the actual physical limit of the deadzones and not the adjustable settings.

Only having about 50-60% of usable travel just makes FM6 unplayable for me.

Top Bottom