• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

shanafan

I wonder if Microsoft didn't err on the side of caution when producing these. Makes sense to produce a small amount and see how the market reacts. It has been a while since I haven't been able to purchase a piece of hardware I want. Suppose the wait will make it that much sweeter. Ordered from Game UK who claim to have it in stock within 5 days.

When the $150 price tag was announced, there was a lot of backlash. So, Microsoft wanted to play it safe based on public perception. Almost like what has happened with the Kinect, they must have not wanted to mass produce something that (a) nobody even asked for, and (b) something that the price was deemed too high by the majority of the gaming community.

Who'd have thought there was such a huge market for a $150-$200 dollar high end controller? I mean let's acknowledge how amazing the Xbox One controller is by itself. But the Elite is on another level. I wanted to buy one today, couldn't find any at EBGames, they couldn't even fill their pre-orders. Couldn't find any at Best Buy. Amazon US and Canada are sold out of stock. Crazy.

people have been buying scufs for COD since the 360 days so i'm not surprised. its nice to see these types of controllers hitting mass market though. hopefully the next consoles controllers come with paddles standard.

its gonna be hard to go back to my scuf 4ps when black ops 3 comes out. I wish i could have stuck with xbox and used my elite controller.

Drain You

Thanks for the replies everyone, I honestly don't know what the problem was but the adapter finally started working. Maybe it wasn't snapped all the way in or something. I feel silly.

We are definitely pleasantly surprised by the consumer response to this product. The controller was designed for a niche consumer base, for the hardcore and pro players. We did not expect the demand that this controller received. We do plan on increasing production of the product to meet consumer demand. On another note, I'm pleased to be reading the positive impressions from you guys. Really glad you guys are liking this controller!

Thanks a lot, jerk! After using the Xbox Elite Controller, I'll never be able to use another gamepad or console again! It's like silk underpants for your hands!

After 24 hours of use yesterday, loving the controller.

I am currently using the bottom 2 paddles, left bottom for jump and right bottom for thrust. I will be experimenting more. It definitely takes some time to get used to it.

I am using the dome stick on the right and changed the sensitivity to smooth.

Such a sexy controller and the box presentation is on point.

Justinh

Would silk gloves be a more appropriate analogy?

This made me lol, but putting on silk boxers feels so good, while I'm not so sure silk gloves would. Do they make silk gloves?

I've been actually thinking about this and I've been trying to figure out a way to describe just why the controller feels good in the hands, because 'feels great in the hands" doesn't really help people who haven't held it understand why people keep saying this.
I think it's because it's heavier than the xbox one controller and the coating and grips on your palms is just soft enough to not feel like a hard piece of plastic.

Even over the Lunar White, which still has grips, but the Lunar White's grips are only in the place where your fingers rest on the back and not on your palms.

MrBenchmark

Got mine today it's amazing. Only one gripe the battery cover for the Nyko recharge pack cover doesn't fit they changed the snap tabs compared to the regular controllers.

pieface

Picked up my pad. Build quality is excellent, the feel is excellent, unfortunately I think i'm too heavy handed to use the paddles. I keep accidently pressing them, specially when i'm shooting in Halo. Shame :(

Anyone else finding that they are pressing the paddles my mistake?

kaioshade

I wonder if Microsoft didn't err on the side of caution when producing these. Makes sense to produce a small amount and see how the market reacts. It has been a while since I haven't been able to purchase a piece of hardware I want. Suppose the wait will make it that much sweeter. Ordered from Game UK who claim to have it in stock within 5 days.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1063321

This is why Microsoft seemingly produced so little. People were having meltdowns when the price was revealed.

Chorazin

I would say that it is less stiff and more precise. I'd actually put it up there with the best dpads I have ever used, and I think a lot here will agree. It's absolutely amazing.

I really like the faceted one. Just feels good under your thumb, and I'm able to fit all four directions solidly.

New002

Picked up my pad. Build quality is excellent, the feel is excellent, unfortunately I think i'm too heavy handed to use the paddles. I keep accidently pressing them, specially when i'm shooting in Halo. Shame :(

Anyone else finding that they are pressing the paddles my mistake?

Honestly I'm surprised that I'm rarely pressing them by accident. There have been some accidental presses, mostly when navgiating the UI, but when in-game it's been very rare.

golem

The controllers they had at the stations at E3 had the games logos on the new D-pad circle shaped button. Gears had the red skull, Forza the FM in nice silver color. I think it would be an awesome opportunity for them to do stuff like that for their big games.

Yesss I am a sucker for that kinda stuff

Spitz

We did not expect the demand that this controller received.

As a matter of fact all people i know placed there pre orders in June shortly after E3. But none of them received anything so far. Someone has not done his job or at least a bad job.

Bsigg12

Controller is excellent. Not sure about using all the paddles, but 1 or 2 for sure. Microsoft really came through.

I started with all 4 but have worked it down to 2 for Halo 5. I found I don't need reload or weapon switch on the paddles, jump and thrusters work perfectly.

Well, with Amazon letting me down, I have put a pre order in with GAME. It says 5 days to release, although I'm doubtful I will get one then. Surely there's lots of orders already ahead of me and with limited stock, I can't see me getting one. We shall see.

Amazon have really fucked up my week. I literally can't play Halo or COD now until I get one. :(

I don't know if I would call it a knee jerk reaction, its a pretty expensive controller. Im sure many are like me. I want one very badly, but Im not going to pay $150 for it. I just cant.

Also I have gone through 3 controllers in the last year, so i worry about its longevity.

shanafan

I don't know if I would call it a knee jerk reaction, its a pretty expensive controller. Im sure many are like me. I want one very badly, but Im not going to pay $150 for it. I just cant.

Also I have gone through 3 controllers in the last year, so i worry about its longevity.

What issues have you had? I am still using my Day One 2013 controller.

Special C

I think I'm going to go with P1 and P2 only for now. 4 is a bit much and I like them better than P3 and P4. I think the defacto options for shooters will be jump and melee to my 2 paddles. Though melee is pretty crap in Battlefront so I will probably find something else.

I went back to Titanfall to try the controller. Unfortunately it put my in a pilot hunter game that was 40 to 2 when I joined...

So I loved the controller when I took it out of the box, but it was still a little uncomfortable for me to play with the paddles. I went to the two top paddles only, and that helped bring me closer to my normal hand position, but I could tell that my aim was still a little effected by my hand position. I just decided to see how it felt with the smaller paddles in the bottom positions, holy shitt............. That's it!!!!! Now I'm over the moon with this thing. Back to being accurate and using jump and thrust like a champ.

These are nearly fetching double now on Ebay! Wow.

Wallach

So are the paddles mislabeled in the app for you guys? Like the labels on the actual controller are not in the position they are in the app. P1 and P2 are the right column on the controller, whereas P1 and P2 are the upper row in the app.

I think I'm going to go with P1 and P2 only for now. 4 is a bit much and I like them better than P3 and P4. I think the defacto options for shooters will be jump and melee to my 2 paddles. Though melee is pretty crap in Battlefront so I will probably find something else.

I went back to Titanfall to try the controller. Unfortunately it put my in a pilot hunter game that was 40 to 2 when I joined...

I think I might do the same. P1&P2 feel good and removing P3&P4 leave me room for a more natural grip on the controller.

I think I might do the same. P1&P2 feel good and removing P3&P4 leave me room for a more natural grip on the controller.

I'm in love with P2 and P4 with the smaller paddles. My middle fingers sit on them perfectly and my other fingers are clear of them. Finally comfortable. I have jump on P2 because it doesn't put pressure on my aiming hand, and I have thrust on P4. I'm meleeing with the right bumper.

Curufinwe

This controller is the most compelling reason for me to get an Xbox One since Scalebound is still a year away. Hopefully the Elite bundle will be discounted before Christmas, or at least have a game thrown in.

I was surprised when I ordered the controller this past Monday on gamestop's website, that it shipped the very next day to be delivered today. Can't wait to get home to mess around with this thing.

sangreal

strange, I can't get madden 15 (not 16) to recognize the controller. im on the beta os though

Anyone else able to try Madden? I tried Madden 16 and same problem. Can't even get past the intro screen, and if I use another controller to do so then the elite still doesn't show up on controller select

Haven't had issues with any other games, including other EA Sports titles

why? they're available in some stores. are people actually bidding?

The one I saw was around $270 with 26 bids. There were a few others around $230 but still had some time. Im was on Amazon chatting with customer service because my left stick is popping, so I wanted to see about a replacement. They are out of stock and have no idea when more are coming, but the alternate sellers are selling at $300.

This controller is amazing. Used it all night with Halo 5 and Destiny and it worked like a charm.

My only complaint is that it's too easy to accidentally press the paddles, but I'm not sure what could even be done about that.

SwolBro

Banned
The one I saw was around $270 with 26 bids. There were a few others around $230 but still had some time. Im was on Amazon chatting with customer service because my left stick is popping, so I wanted to see about a replacement. They are out of stock and have no idea when more are coming, but the alternate sellers are selling at $300.

that's just fucking crazy. microsoft needs to get on this, it has to have wide availability by the end of next month.

Pachimari

Oh, just got an email from Amazon UK, that they have dispatched my controller, and that it is on its way for a November 4 delivery. Now I just have to import the USB dongle duh.

golem

This controller is amazing. Used it all night with Halo 5 and Destiny and it worked like a charm.

My only complaint is that it's too easy to accidentally press the paddles, but I'm not sure what could even be done about that.
You have to adjust your grip on the controller. Ive taken out the lower two paddles like many others in this thread while my brain retrains my hands lol

Might be overkill but if they're getting in the way and you don't need them, you could have a profile that doesn't use them and a profile that does, for the same game, and play without them most of the time, then swap the profile using that profile swap button on the back when you need to activate them.

Not sure if it's worth the setup time but might help. I could see not needing them for most circumstances in a game, then swapping them on in a specific circumstance, like running around in GTA you wouldn't need them, but when driving you would because the triggers are used for gas/brake.

I only use two so I reversed the sides they're on and that gives them much more support. (they're upside down this way)

purg3

slept with Malkin

What config did you use for Destiny?

Rootbeer

Banned
hmm there is a pretty decent sale on GTAV Steam right now. Would probably be pure bliss to play that with this.

Think I might cave on it even though I own the PS4 version

Falchion

Can someone please tell me why the Halo 5 multiplayer config in the app is set to assign boost and jump to 2 of the paddles but then the left and right D pad directions are set to the other 2?

Makes no sense to me.

Top Bottom