• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Caayn

1. You can make your own profile, seemingly an unlimited number of them, but are limited to the two you can set to the switch positions on the controller itself from what I can tell. No per game automatic option that I can see.

2. On the PC app there are presets for Halo 5, one of the Forza games, Sunset Overdrive, and Gears Ultimate. One of the Forza profiles with clutch and manual transmition buttons mapped to the back looks /very/ interesting.
Yes and yes. You can use preset configs in the Accessories app, and make your own and save them. Two can be saved on the controller and switched between on the fly.
Thanks for the anwers :)

SpacLock

Gotta know before I drop $200 on one of these, does this controller fix the awful deadzones of the standard controllers? And I mean the actual physical limit of the deadzones and not the adjustable settings.

Only having about 50-60% of usable travel just makes FM6 unplayable for me.

The app monitors your stick movement and I didn't see any deadzone whatsoever.

hwy_61

Banned
We are definitely pleasantly surprised by the consumer response to this product. The controller was designed for a niche consumer base, for the hardcore and pro players. We did not expect the demand that this controller received. We do plan on increasing production of the product to meet consumer demand. On another note, I'm pleased to be reading the positive impressions from you guys. Really glad you guys are liking this controller!

I honestly did not expect the demand to be this high either! Can't find this thing anywhere! I preordered the chatpad just in case.

Madness

Who'd have thought there was such a huge market for a $150-$200 dollar high end controller? I mean let's acknowledge how amazing the Xbox One controller is by itself. But the Elite is on another level. I wanted to buy one today, couldn't find any at EBGames, they couldn't even fill their pre-orders. Couldn't find any at Best Buy. Amazon US and Canada are sold out of stock. Crazy.

MIMF

The game of course has its own sensitivity settings, but they don't offer a cure to the deadzone problem. I have my sensitivity bumped up from a default of 3 (I think) to a 6, along with the elites own sensitivity option to help eliminate the deadzone.

The paddles definitely have enough resistance, but it may take a game or two to train your hands not to tighten up during intense moments if you're the type who will be resting their fingers on the paddles at all times.

Personally, all 4 paddles made me hold the controller in a way that made my hands slightly uncomfortable, but I can easily see myself getting used to the 4 paddle grip with regular usage. So no, not too shabby!

Thanks SpacLock for the reply.

Another question: how does the dpad feel when using the faceted one? Is it not as clicky and stiff as the original one? Does it feel more precise?

I would really love to have a better dpad to really enjoy killer instinct as the game deserves, I am confident that the Elite dpad will make it happen for me.

Its an awesome controller... now make more accessories for it!
The controllers they had at the stations at E3 had the games logos on the new D-pad circle shaped button. Gears had the red skull, Forza the FM in nice silver color. I think it would be an awesome opportunity for them to do stuff like that for their big games.

SmilingCat

Neo Member
Got mine earlier today glad I pre-ordered it as soon as Best Buy listed it. Spent the past several hours finishing The Evil Within with it. Paddles take a little getting used to, but bind the right actions to them and you almost never need to take your thumbs off the sticks. Haven't been this happy with a controller since I got my Razer Sabertooth for my 360 which I got used to using under controller rockers with. I can see it taking some people a while to get used to using all four paddles since you have to loosen your grip a bit.

Really like the app for creating profiles for this as well. Takes like ten seconds to switch to the app change a couple binds and get back to the game. Needs a real time test so you can see you dead zones along with stick and trigger percentages unless I missed it. The stick sensitivity options seem to be just a few presets instead of the manually changeable graph shown in the preview video. Needs axis inversion as an option as well. Once I start Halo 5 I will probably test out different sensitivity curves on the stick, adjust the triggers sensitivity, and try the hair trigger.

The build quality on this elite is amazing and the magnetic swap works better than I thought it would. The sticks feel incredibly smooth and the metal parts just feel great. Only thing I would have liked to see would've been tactile switch face buttons like on the Sabertooth for the super quick mouse click like button presses, but the membrane buttons do give you more feedback with a deeper press.

Can't wait till more parts become available although the current setup already feels great using all four paddles, faceted D-pad, and regular sticks.

iMax

We are definitely pleasantly surprised by the consumer response to this product. The controller was designed for a niche consumer base, for the hardcore and pro players. We did not expect the demand that this controller received. We do plan on increasing production of the product to meet consumer demand. On another note, I'm pleased to be reading the positive impressions from you guys. Really glad you guys are liking this controller!

Hey Phil! Awesome job with the controller. Just need an Xbox One Elite Headset now! ;)

Drain You

Can anyone not get the headset adapter with those buttons to work? It's really bothering me as I now need to go into a menu to change the volume or mute myself.

Besides that this thing is perfect. It feels so nice in my hands. This thing is going to be put in its case and box when not in use at all times.

So annoyed! I cannot find one anywhere. I really need to play Halo and then COD next week with this thing.

I hate you Amazon for 'losing' my order, never buying from them again.

/vent

Edit - Wow Phil Xboss Spencer joined Gaf?

Can anyone not get the headset adapter with those buttons to work? It's really bothering me as I now need to go into a menu to change the volume or mute myself.

Headset adapter works fine with Elite. Did you update the controller firmware with the adapter attached?

The Flash

Banned

Besides that this thing is perfect. It feels so nice in my hands. This thing is going to be put in its case and box when not in use at all times.

Assignable inputs:
•A, B, X, and Y
•D-pad up, down, left, and right
•Left and right bumpers
•Left and right trigger activation
•Left and right thumbstick click

Could be something that'll be added later. Honestly I'd prefer something like how you change volume on PS4.

Can someone please tell me about the warranty for this thing? Is it 30 days or a year?

iirc it's 90 days

SwolBro

Banned
The game of course has its own sensitivity settings, but they don't offer a cure to the deadzone problem. I have my sensitivity bumped up from a default of 3 (I think) to a 6, along with the elites own sensitivity option to help eliminate the deadzone.
!

hmmm ok but here's the thing (from a long conversation with someone knowledgable but not yet gotten their hands to test this) does Halo 5 allow you to actually customize your own deadzone? or does the program override deadzones in all games? deadzones are usually programmed within the game itself.

Titanfall allowed you to customize the deadzone with 3 different sizes. they called it "drift guard". If halo doesn't allow you to do this, or if the app doesn't allow you to override it you'll still be functioning within the limits of the game's programmed "deadzone"

so, my question is how do you know you're actually tweaking the deadzone and how much of it? you may only tweak it up or down as much as individual games allow you to.

These are topics i thought would have a video release all on their own from Microsoft, or 343i. We didn't get fucking anything remotely deep about this stuff . They continue to see console gamers as idiots.

Anyone find these available anywhere online again yet?

Depends, I was checking on my charge stand order and happened across this. Seems like they no longer have the stand only controller but are bundling it with a charge stand. Worth it if you want both, but i'd check into a MS store before any other place. I just see their home stores getting more before anyone else.

Side note my charge stand should be in today. Can't wait to put this baby on a pedestal when I get home.

KevinG

I had trouble getting my adapter to fit onto the Elite, but tried it after I was done for the night and it went on. Don't know what the issue was before.

For Halo 5, I remapped the face buttons to the four paddles.

On the default control scheme in game:
Jump with top right
Thruster to top left
Reload to bottom right
Switch Weapon to bottom left

Muscle memory from 15 years of Halo is making the transition difficult.

hwalker84

Phil the controller is great. I'm probably the only person that has done an exchange already but I'd still give it a 10/10 because it's so insanely good. Congrats!

The Flash

Banned
I had trouble getting my adapter to fit onto the Elite, but tried it after I was done for the night and it went on. Don't know what the issue was before.

For Halo 5, I remapped the face buttons to the four paddles.

On the default control scheme in game:
Jump with top right
Thruster to top left
Reload to bottom right
Switch Weapon to bottom left

It definitely takes a while. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it now though.

Bummer - oh well. Hope it lasts a while.

You might be able to get a longer one if you buy it with a credit card. Someone here said something about that at least.

SwolBro

Banned
Dude.. if this works for you after AT LEAST a month of playing, or a week of playing around the clock i'll be fucking shocked and attempt to do it myself. But i doubt you'll ever get used to it.

i've had a custom controller for a while now, but only 1 button out of all the 4 i had put in is used, it's used for jump.

part of that reason is/was because the buttons are harder to press. i hear the paddles are sensitive so the entire controller wont fucking move all the time if i press something, this could be easier but i doubt i'll go 4 paddles.

maybe i'll go just one more, so 2 total.

hwalker84

It snaps right in. No paddles should be in the way.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Finally get to use mine tonight. Picked it up at GS after work yesterday but had plans so didn't get to try it out. Guy said they only got in about 8 which was how many they had reserved. No extras and they didn't have an idea on if or when they would get a restock.

Anyone else having trouble holding the controller with the paddles? I'm so used to playing via crab right hand form with my pinky and ring fingers holding the bottom of the controller for support. With the paddles being there I'm having trouble adjusting with my palms being the only part for support. Also doesn't help that the paddles are sensitive to touch.

How's everyone else adjusting to it?

DMTripper

Love the OT.

Can't help but laugh at the IGN review though. He says he wouldn't pay that much cash for it and then says that it's worth every penny.

Wow :p

If they fix the issues with the wireless adapter drivers on PC, I may just pick one up at some point. Right now the Xbox Accessory Application does not work with non-Elite controllers for the firmware updates and what not and the wireless adapter drivers are in bad shape (no rumble, shakey audio support). People using the Windows Insiders build are reporting that the issues are fixed there but that update won't hit any earlier than 11/3, 2 weeks after the product launch. Not surprised that it slipped through the cracks, to be honest.

SwolBro

Banned
Anyone else having trouble holding the controller with the paddles? I'm so used to playing via crab right hand form with my pinky and ring fingers holding the bottom of the controller for support. With the paddles being there I'm having trouble adjusting with my palms being the only part for support. Also doesn't help that the paddles are sensitive to touch.

How's everyone else adjusting to it?

It's going to take time. There's nothing else to really say. If you've never used a custom controller, or something similar, it's no different. It takes time. Especially if you've been consistently playing....

that's why i recommend not even taking opinions from so called "pro" gamers. Those guys are the ones that will probably take the longest to adjust. Their muscle memories are really hard wired to hold and operate the controller in a certain way.

E92 M3

Phil the controller is great. I'm probably the only person that has done an exchange already but I'd still give it a 10/10 because it's so insanely good. Congrats!

What was wrong with yours?

It definitely takes a while. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it now though.

You might be able to get a longer one if you buy it with a credit card. Someone here said something about that at least.

Oh, yes, I completely forgot that amex gives me a warranty as well.

Sweet.

It's going to take time. There's nothing else to really say. If you've never used a custom controller, or something similar, it's no different. It takes time. Especially if you've been consistently playing....

that's why i recommend not even taking opinions from so called "pro" gamers. Those guys are the ones that will probably take the longest to adjust. Their muscle memories are really hard wired to hold and operate the controller in a certain way.
It's probably going to take a while for me to just adjust to it then. I keep telling myself to use the paddles as intended but muscle memory takes over and my right hand goes back to crab form.

operon

Welcome to GAF

kaioshade

Love the OT.

Can't help but laugh at the IGN review though. He says he wouldn't pay that much cash for it and then says that it's worth every penny.

Wow :p

If anything that is pretty honest. There is no doubt at this point that the controller is extremely high quality and worth the asking price. Despite that there are some people who personally wouldnt spend that much.

Manac0r

I wonder if Microsoft didn't err on the side of caution when producing these. Makes sense to produce a small amount and see how the market reacts. It has been a while since I haven't been able to purchase a piece of hardware I want. Suppose the wait will make it that much sweeter. Ordered from Game UK who claim to have it in stock within 5 days.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I had an elite preordered at amazon for the first week of Nov, but canceled due to it really not being a necessary purchase in a time where I've spent a lot (2 kids birthdays, thanksgiving, Christmas, and just spent 1500 on car parts).

But, just my luck, my launch controller just started acting up last night. While playing h5 I threw 2 or 3 accidental grenades with no button being pushed. Looks like I'll be in the market for a new pad sooner rather than later.

Any online retailers have stock?

b0bbyJ03

Hey all, I have a few questions that maybe someone can help me out with:
1. Does the chat headset work via the wireless PC adapter? I purchased the Elite to use on my PC and I'm wondering if I'll be able to chat through the controller on PC. If so how does it work? I would assume it comes up in recording devices but IDK.

2. Are there any rumors or anything on when the app comes out for Windows? I can't wait to be able to assign the paddles

3. What is the point of the 3.5 mm plug vs the chat? can they both be used for chat or is the 3.5 just for audio?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. has anyone with a scuf controller bought this? how do the paddles compare? So far i love the idea of the paddles but i played some Titanfall yesterday and its takes a little getting used to. Feels a little awkward holding the controller at times.

Jinaar

Got mine late last night. I was playing HALO 5 for some time before the controller came in.

Installed the app, allowed for the HALO 5 configuration. Installed the highest thumb sticks. Launched HALO 5 again and first off, wow, what a difference those taller thumb sticks make. It was night and day to my XBONE Normal controller.

I adjusted the trigger depth and initially didn't like the half depress limit for the triggers. I will keep testing that.

Now for the back paddles. Very cool but VERY difficult not to accidentally tap. I got big hands, so they tend to be able to encompass everything. I really have to hover my fingers for the paddles. In order to get to use the paddles more, I'll have to force time with them. So even though I disabled them for the rest of the night, when I did use them for melee attacks, swapping guns and more, it felt that their placement did increase my ability to hit the buttons faster then from their original locations.

The controller is not overly heavy and for me is a good weight. The grips where your palm rests are super comfortable and due to the nature of the material used, your hands stick to the controller so well, you can't cause any adverse movement to lose your control of the actually controller physically. I like that.

So far, great expensive piece of equipment. It won't make you E-Sports great out of the box, but it will give you that sense of wonderment and awe using it.

I still find HALO 5 hard to shoot people in, compared to Titanfall. Finding that sweet spot for thumbstick speed ingame and actual thumb movements on the controller is so delicate. I tend to over pan to the left/right/top/bottom of my target more often then not, missing key headshots. Titanfall I don't have that issue at all. I think it has to do more with ADS being just being what it is in Titanfall then what ADS is in HALO 5.

Great controller so far!

SpacLock

Thanks SpacLock for the reply.

Another question: how does the dpad feel when using the faceted one? Is it not as clicky and stiff as the original one? Does it feel more precise?

I would really love to have a better dpad to really enjoy killer instinct as the game deserves, I am confident that the Elite dpad will make it happen for me.

I would say that it is less stiff and more precise. I'd actually put it up there with the best dpads I have ever used, and I think a lot here will agree. It's absolutely amazing.

I had an elite preordered at amazon for the first week of Nov, but canceled due to it really not being a necessary purchase in a time where I've spent a lot (2 kids birthdays, thanksgiving, Christmas, and just spent 1500 on car parts).

But, just my luck, my launch controller just started acting up last night. While playing h5 I threw 2 or 3 accidental grenades with no button being pushed. Looks like I'll be in the market for a new pad sooner rather than later.

Any online retailers have stock?

I'd keep checking the Microsoft Store. I was told last night that there were none to be found anywhere online, went to the MS site, and found them available for purchase. This was around 9:00 pm last night.

Top Bottom