• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: 5 million units shipped to retailers

Freeman

Banned
ps4_xbo_201404d5arn.png
Don't we have the ~3m sold to consumer when they announced the 3.9m? Should use it instead.

Fox Mulder

Thank you, as an exclusive Xone owner and don't have a PS4. Glad to hear that it's doing better then the 360 at this point in time. I was worried from reading this forum that the XOne is really bombing and that MS will shut down the division. ;)

it should be doing better than the 360, which was significantly limited by supply after it launched. The Xbox brand is bigger now and the XBO never had supply issues. Retailers are still doing crazy sales to push them out.

it's not Nintendo awful, just less than they could be considering they ruled NA last generation.

Skeff

should change the line color to orange for the shipped segment

Yea, a green line up to 3m on Dec 31st and an orange one from 3.9m on Dec 31st to 5m now, would make the most sense IMO.

and perhaps a dotted green line tracking 0.9m below the shipped line as 0.9m is the only reference point we have as to the diffence between the shiped/sold.

Like as if the MS and Nintendo fanboys didn't do that last gen when their systems of choice were beating the PS3.

Doesn't make it right. It was obnoxious then and it's obnoxious now. This forum leans a bit more to the Sony side which is fine but it is a shame you can't go into most threads without some sort of bashing going on. I own both and couldn't give two shits who is selling best. I track what games are coming out haha.

Biker19

Banned
Are you forgetting the last generation?

Sony was able to pull back their catastrophe of a launch and after a very long time even overtook 360 sales, and that was with a large disadvantage in release times.

Microsoft could easily do the same thing this generation. Its far too early for anything to be decided or requiring "miracles". Even more interesting are the other platforms available today and coming soon that may alter the typical sales of consoles in the long term. Again everything is very uncertain, this gen more than any

It isn't going to be the same story for Xbox One like with PS3. Thing is, Sony got back up on their feet with PS3 because of the PS brand being very strong worldwide & because they scored big with both PS1 & PS2 in hardware sales. While Xbox 360 did good, it wasn't like PS1 or PS2 in huge sales.

All Microsoft has is the U.S., & even then, there's no guarantee that they'll score 46+ million Xbox One owners in the U.S. like they had with Xbox 360.

I think there is a lot of stuff still to come in the future that will decide how things go. I remember all the chasing MS and Sony did for the casual market with both failures and success on both sides. This time can always be different. There could be major upsets or multiple missteps from any side that could change all of this.

While true, Microsoft had been targeting towards casuals much more than Sony did. Sony were bringing out tons of core exclusives while Microsoft were going on & on about Kinect & Media while coasting through Halo, Forza, Gears, & 3rd party games. They didn't even rely on PS Move to much to sell more PS3's while Microsoft constantly relied on Kinect for more Xbox 360 sales.

klee123

Doesn't make it right. It was obnoxious then and it's obnoxious now. This forum leans a bit more to the Sony side which is fine but it is a shame you can't go into most threads without some sort of bashing going on. I own both and couldn't give two shits who is selling best. I track what games are coming out haha.

I never said it was right, but................Karma is a bitch isn't it?

StuBurns

Banned
Its looking more and more as if the third console curse is living on. Is there some sort of reason that this has happened over and over again or is it just a weird coincidence?
They came second, then third, and second again.

It's really nothing like Nintendo or Sony.

Fox Mulder

it's the first year, console wars fade after a bit. Sony got all kinds of shit last generation with lol two jobs and anti consumer hubris, now they're the hero.
people are just still giddy seeing MS struggle after their original Xbox one vision vs Sony's more gamer approach.

Sentenza

Like as if the MS and Nintendo fanboys didn't do that last gen when their systems of choice were beating the PS3.
It was probably incredibly annoying and silly even back then?
Except I wasn't on this forum to see it.

It's awesome seeing MS and Nintendo fanboys complaining about their favourite company's console being shat on, despite that they were doing the same shit last gen.
If what you got from my post is that I was either a MS or Nintendo fanboy, I think we can summarize it this way:

missing_point.jpg

Jeels

That number doesn't sound that good when I see mountains of them everywhere I go. There were literally a 6+ foot high 12 by 12 stack of them at the Costco I went to this week, being offered at $430...Not a PS4 to be found in the wild yet, though admittedly I don't check for it every time I'm at a retail store.

angrygnat

X1 is selling well. Their foothold in the US is solid. They really don't need anything else to justify its existence. To compare this gen to last is silly due to the fact that this gen is completely different.

They had 900k sitting on shelves in Jan on a smaller production base. Assuming the sell through rate has actually improved (it should have with the price cuts and software releases) and saying the unsold inventory is still at 900k - 1.1m that would put their sold through number at 3.9 - 4.1m world wide. Not PS4 great but very solid. Its where I thought both next gen consoles would be around now.

X1 is selling well. Their foothold in the US is solid. They really don't need anything else to justify its existence. To compare this gen to last is silly due to the fact that this gen is completely different.

Err... Yeah they do. If your doing "OK" the in the US and shut everywhere else, the Xbone and Xbox division is in trouble.

gtj1092

It was probably incredibly annoying and silly even back then?
Except I wasn't on this forum to see it.

If what you got from my post is that I was either a MS or Nintendo fanboy, I think we can summarize it this way:

missing_point.jpg

Claim what you want but you are always there to defend MS or slight Sony and their fanboys :rolleyes:

Oh yeah you won a PC so you couldn't possibly have a bias.

Also this just further proves that nothing special happened last month besides the income tax affect on sales which gave all consoles a boost. Although some wanted to pretend it was turn XB1 fortunes and a sign of parity going forward. The only thing that last month showed was that Sony shipped 269K Ps4s and couldn't benefit from the uptick in sales in February.

They're significantly trailing Sony in the U.S. and worldwide. In the first five months. After Titanfall has been released. After bundles and retail price cuts. No, it's not solid and yes Microsoft most definitely needs to do something pronto to justify the purchase for many people on the fence, myself included.

Nzyme32

Took me awhile -- got sidetracked by real life.

ps4_xbo_201404_2l3ryd.png

Last version. =P
Great graph. I almost think it could be useful to extend the scale of the graph to encompasses the highest figure for last gen sales and the time period to date of last gen (7 years?) To provide a sense of perspective of where we are in the grand scheme of things

It's awesome seeing MS and Nintendo fanboys complaining about their favourite company's console being shat on, despite that they were doing the same shit last gen.

Christ this post gave me cancer.

Top Bottom