• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: 5 million units shipped to retailers

King_Moc

Banned
Are you forgetting the last generation?

Sony was able to pull back their catastrophe of a launch and after a very long time even overtook 360 sales, and that was with a large disadvantage in release times.

Microsoft could easily do the same thing this generation. Its far too early for anything to be decided or requiring "miracles". Even more interesting are the other platforms available today and coming soon that may alter the typical sales of consoles in the long term. Again everything is very uncertain, this gen more than any

PS3 launched way, way after and pretty much closed the gap with the 360 continuously from the get-go. There was no turnaround at any point, really.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
They needed some sort of positive PR to soften the blow of losing NPD during Titanfall and price-cut/bundle/deals month. Looks like shipped numbers were the best they could come up with.

So we can deduce the sell-through number at roughly what? 4.3-4.5M?

If you add up the numbers from NPD+EU (guessing that Pal is half of NA), then it's 3.7M going into March.

3.7M+311K(March NPD)+PAL 156K(guessing half of NPD)=4.17M X1 consoles.

Sony was able to pull back their catastrophe of a launch and after a very long time even overtook 360 sales, and that was with a large disadvantage in release times.

If we don't think about how PS3 bounced back, yeah, I guess we can claim that.

Curufinwe

I don't even give a damn about the Xbox One and I still imagine it must be pretty insufferable for an Xbox user to browse this forum in these days, with all the Sony user base giggling and gloating at every chance.

It should only be insufferable for all the Xbox users who kept telling everybody there was no way the PS4 would win the March NPDs.

RulkezX

Microsoft could easily do the same thing this generation. Its far too early for anything to be decided or requiring "miracles". Even more interesting are the other platforms available today and coming soon that may alter the typical sales of consoles in the long term. Again everything is very uncertain, this gen more than any

It's arguable that they were able to do that because the PS brand is so strong. For example I'm not sure MS could have done it with 360 if the roles had been reversed.

Sony also had the advantage of being strong in the US and Europe, where MS is in the position now that the US and UK are strong and the rest of Europe is still indifferent. If MS couldn't make massive inroads in Europe with the fantastic 360 , how will they do it with the X1?

Rich!

And are you forgetting the sacrifices Sony had to make with that turnaround?

- Complete redesign of the console and the console's market image.
- Drastic cost-cutting measures
- Restructuring (bye bye kutaragi)
- Sinking millions of dollars to right the ship.

It wasn't just an easy jog uphill, it was a fucking marathon up a mountain. If Microsoft were to go the same way, it would be with a similar path:

- Complete redesign of the console and the console's market image

Already happening. The TV TV TV focus is almost a distant memory, and Phil Spencer is an obvious choice to lead a new game-centric path.

Not much on this front yet, but Kinect being thrown out would be an easy guess of what's going to happen.

- Restructuring

Don Mattrick? gone. Signs pointing now that the entire focus of the XBOX team is changing, for the benefit of gamers.

Well. That's going to have to happen now, isn't it?

Doombacon

Ps3 pulled back in no small part due to a large number of exclusives coming out of Japan due to the market landscape being so heavily in Ps3s favor in the region. I'm not so sure Microsoft has a secret bastion of developers not interested in putting games on the Ps4 without money becoming involved.

Sony had a world wide advantage and even with that it took years to dwindle down that advantage

MS will never have the worldwide advantage

Nzyme32

The ONLY reason Sony managed to turn things around was because of the WORLDWIDE brand strength of the Playstation. Does MS have that?

People really need to stop bringing up the PS3's turnaround when it comes to the XB1. Its an apples to oranges comparison.

It reminds off all the Nintendo fans screaming "LOOK AT THE 3DS!" When the Wii U started flopping.

The 360 crushed the PS3 in NA and the UK
UK. Sony were able to pull back in WW figures because they still dominated the rest of the world outside of the Anglosphere. Microsoft don't have that luxury to rely on.

Both very true. My point is that the value of brand strength can and does change, and there are more and more new factors that will be involved in sales than ever before. Its far too early to proclaim any machine is entirely out.

Amir0x

Banned
NeoGAF has always been insufferable for the losing team on NPD day. It's tradition.

Yup. It's a tribal ritual. But I don't call it 'insufferable.' It's just good fun. Since I just buy whichever system is currently best for me as a consumer and ignore companies as some status symbol loyalty nonsense and just enjoy the fireworks

vpance

Hahaha. By my math they should be at about 3.8 max sold to customers so now they have stuffed the channels even more. 1.2 mil unsold Xbox ones. Damn!

We saw a 2:1 figure favoring PS4 in all the polls leading up to launch. Now it's actually beginning to play out. Im guessing we'll see 2.5 to 3 WW in a little while.

King_Moc

Banned
Yup. It's a tribal ritual. But I don't call it 'insufferable.' It's just good fun. Since I just buy whichever system is currently best for me as a consumer and ignore companies as some status symbol loyalty nonsense and just enjoy the fireworks

The only way to be. I was a 360 man when Sony were terrible in the early PS3 days. That situation has now changed, but i don't doubt it'll change again at some point. Success seems to do that to a business.

Both very true. My point is that the value of brand strength can and does change, and there are more and more new factors that will be involved in sales than ever before. Its far too early to proclaim any machine is entirely out.
Brands can be brought back with a clever relaunch. But you also need to time these things right, a relaunch this year would go down like a lead balloon. I'd also question their effectiveness these days as we have seen console refreshes happen multiple times now, it's not a surprising and exciting thing anymore

As I said in a previous post it would require an innovative concept like Kinect combined with a refresh to get MS to take the lead. But it looks like Sny is the one on the front foot with that already with PSNow and Morpheus

Jomjom

Banned
I don't even give a damn about the Xbox One and I still imagine it must be pretty insufferable for an Xbox user to browse this forum in these days, with all the Sony user base giggling and gloating at every chance.

It's only insufferable for people who are in love with their consoles and want to marry them.

Amir0x

Banned
The only way to be. I was a 360 man when Sony were terrible in the early PS3 days. That situation has now changed, but i don't doubt it'll change again at some point. Success seems to do that to a business.

Yup. I didn't even buy a PS3 until Uncharted 2 came out. I intend not to buy an XBO until it's $299.99, and hopefully they drop Kinect. I want many of the games on the system and coming in the future, but I don't like the direction they went strategically or the design of their system, and therefore intend to get what I feel is my proper money's worth.

fred

So probably still under 4 million to customers?

I reckon it's between 4-4.2 by now.

Unless Microsoft have the Mother of all E3s we may soon see the PS4 having twice the installed userbase of the Xbox One and things could get VERY interesting.

Could possibly lead either to third parties starting to drop support or lead them to add the Wii U as a fourth SKU for multiplatform titles to spread the cost of development.

Skeff

We saw a 2:1 figure favoring PS4 in all the polls leading up to launch. Now it's actually beginning to play out. Im guessing we'll see 2.5 to 3 WW in a little while.

Well 2.8:1 is looking like a pretty consistent ratio for 2014, if that continues it should be 2:1 LTD well before E3.

Ape

Banned
It's only insufferable for people who are in love with their consoles and want to marry them.

That was a quality thread.

Anyways, why don't you guys let the Sony fans have this for right now? They had a very very long decade. I'm sure it feels good for a lot of them to finally be on the winning side of things again after getting beaten so badly.

Well i believe most Xbox and PS owners are playing games now(if they're not working/sleeping/whatever),it's not like both console have no games to play.

Nzyme32

And are you forgetting the sacrifices Sony had to make with that turnaround?

- Complete redesign of the console and the console's market image.
- Restructuring (bye bye kutaragi)

It wasn't just an easy jog uphill, it was a fucking marathon up a mountain. If Microsoft were to go the same way, it would be with a similar path:

- Complete redesign of the console and the console's market image

Already happening. The TV TV TV focus is almost a distant memory, and Phil Spencer is an obvious choice to lead a new game-centric path.

Not much on this front yet, but Kinect being thrown out would be an easy guess of what's going to happen.

- Restructuring

Don Mattrick? gone. Signs pointing now that the entire focus of the XBOX team is changing, for the benefit of gamers.

Well. That's going to have to happen now, isn't it?

Indeed they did, not sure how you came to the conclusion that I forgot the past decade. Again I haven't got some crystal ball here. Microsoft could do all those things. Heck Nintendo might go for all those things. How badly do they want to do it if at all? Arguably some of those have started happening with MS as a whole and Xbox division for their dwindling performances.

I think there is a lot of stuff still to come in the future that will decide how things go. I remember all the chasing MS and Sony did for the casual market with both failures and success on both sides. This time can always be different. There could be major upsets or multiple missteps from any side that could change all of this.

We're less than a year in and already talking about miracles needed for great change. I simply don't believe that at all

JaggedSac

It isn't too bad. Most threads that devolve into such things don't usually have much in terms of potential meaningful conversation going on anyway.

Wow, just dug into the comparison a little more. I really didn't see that coming. Have we seen Titanfall numbers yet? Did it really not move units?

Ironjam

Wow, just dug into the comparison a little more. I really didn't see that coming. Have we seen Titanfall numbers yet? Did it really not move units?

It likely moved a million or 2, just not in march. There were people buying XB1s at launch for Titanfall as well so it likely served its purpose.

Top Bottom