• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One: 5 million units shipped to retailers

I'm surprised it's so low. I thought they were around 4 million shipped on the last report.

Not to turn this into an exclusives pissing contest, but now I'm pretty interested to see a graph showing what sort of dent Titanfall made, if it made one at all.

EDIT - just saw the March NPD numbers for games. TF did pretty okay!

price drop and kinetless sku in coming.

I'm not so sure...why? Just because they aren't selling the numbers Sony is doesn't mean they aren't meeting their own projections and profit margins. That's the part we don't really know...they may be fine with their total sales $$$ and margins considering each unit is $100 more then PS4.

Nzyme32

Wow, just dug into the comparison a little more. I really didn't see that coming. Have we seen Titanfall numbers yet? Did it really not move units?

I'm certain they moved units but clearly not enough. If I was to guess, I reckon many Xbox player were happy to stay with the 360 or jump to the ps4 rather than go for the Xbox one. Its almost a similar issue to windows xp, a great product that people cling to but ms need to find a way to really not only lure them from the platform but move them to the next one rather than a competitor

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm not so sure...why? Just because they aren't selling the numbers Sony is doesn't mean they aren't meeting their own projections and profit margins. That's the part we don't really know...they may be fine with their total sales $$$ and margins considering each unit is $100 more then PS4.

Only problem with that is it doesn't cost the same amount to make an XBO as a PS4.

Its looking more and more as if the third console curse is living on. Is there some sort of reason that this has happened over and over again or is it just a weird coincidence?

Is there a comparison between the sold through to consumer of XOne vs. 360 at a similar time in the respected console cycle?

I'm wondering how the Xone is doing compared to the 360 this many months in.

Portugeezer

Is there a comparison between the sold through to consumer of XOne vs. 360 at a similar time in the respected console cycle?

I'm wondering how the Xone is doing compared to the 360 this many months in.

It's doing better, 2.5 million sold in US. 360 was still Xbox infancy in 2006, the brand was not strong.

Only problem with that is it doesn't cost the same amount to make an XBO as a PS4.

I was trying to word it in a way to NOT suggest that they are making same profit as Sony. Undoubtedly though MS and SONY both had sales figures they wanted to hit and margins.

If MS is hitting those sales numbers they won't feel compelled to lower the price. I'm not sure if they REALLY care all that much about being first or second as folks on this forum.

If they are smart, they will focus on making it the best product it can be with the best games and then sales will follow. If they are constantly measuring their console-peen against the competition the focus won't be where it needs to be.

I think it's time to start worrying at MS HQ. Seriously, no wonder these things are everywhere, there's tons of them sitting on shelves.

King_Moc

Banned
Its looking more and more as if the third console curse is living on. Is there some sort of reason that this has happened over and over again or is it just a weird coincidence?

I'm think that's when overconfidence/hubris starts to kick in during the decision making process. Companies seem to get to a point where they just assume customers need them in their lives and that they can get away with whatever.

fasTRapid

Banned
If you add up the numbers from NPD+EU (guessing that Pal is half of NA), then it's 3.7M going into March.
No, it's not. Even using your wildly optimistic PAL=0,5NPD factor, it all adds up to merely 3.5 mil.

2013 total: <3M (between 2,8 and 2,9, let's take the latter)
+ 145k in January NPD
+ 72,5k in January PAL
+ 258k in February NPD
+ 129k in February PAL

So adding March
311k in the US
+ 155,5k in Europe

We get a total of 3 971 000 sold Xbox Ones worldwide, which is the optimum btw, as PAL usually doesn't come close to half of NPD figures.

tl;dr: probably <4M sold-through!
They needed 5 months to sell the amount of consoles they projected for the first 2 months / 2013 (3,9M manifactured) and are already behind 2:1 against their major competitor.

It's doing better, 2.5 million sold in US. 360 was still Xbox infancy in 2006, the brand was not strong.

Thank you, as an exclusive Xone owner and don't have a PS4. Glad to hear that it's doing better then the 360 at this point in time. I was worried from reading this forum that the XOne is really bombing and that MS will shut down the division. ;)

That was a quality thread.

Anyways, why don't you guys let the Sony fans have this for right now? They had a very very long decade. I'm sure it feels good for a lot of them to finally be on the winning side of things again after getting beaten so badly.

If this isn't sarcasm I give up

I think it's time to start worrying at MS HQ. Seriously, no wonder these things are everywhere, there's tons of them sitting on shelves.

I think Indian guy is ready for that,and Spencer,since both just become CEO/leader of Xbox division not long time ago

And i don't really think 5 million shipped in 5 months is really that bad like that would make MS sell the division,it just PS4 selling very,very crazy

If you add up the numbers from NPD+EU (guessing that Pal is half of NA), then it's 3.7M going into March. /QUOTE]No, it's not. Even using your wildly optimistic PAL=0,5NPD factor, it all adds up to merely 3.5 mil.

+ 145k in January NPD
+ 72,5k in January PAL
+ 258k in February NPD
+ 129k in February PAL

So adding March
311k in the US
+ 155,5k in Europe

We get a total of 3 971 000 sold Xbox Ones worldwide, which is the optimum btw, as PAL usually doesn't come close to half of NPD figures.
Need to also count AUS,NZ and Canada,maybe 4.1-4.2?

KoopaTheCasual

):

I feel bad for Phil Spencer. He seems like such an awesome genuine guy, who core fans have always wanted to get his own shot to run things. And now he gets his chance and it's basically a "good luck cleaning this up" hand off =

First console = win over hearts and minds
Second console = Take that momentum and execute, dominate.
Third console = Hubris.

This model makes sense for the SNES - N64 and the PS2 - PS3, but I think the invulnerability Microsoft felt the 360's abbreviated success gave them was kinda unwarranted.

Chobel

QUOTE=Heshinsi;108568218]If you add up the numbers from NPD+EU (guessing that Pal is half of NA), then it's 3.7M going into March. /QUOTE]No, it's not. Even using your wildly optimistic PAL=0,5NPD factor, it all adds up to merely 3.5 mil.

+ 145k in January NPD
+ 72,5k in January PAL
+ 258k in February NPD
+ 129k in February PAL

So adding March
311k in the US
+ 155,5k in Europe

Your sources for PAL numbers?

koutoru

To bad we never know how many were shipped back from stores.
Stores aren't just going to sit on a bunch of Xbox's that don't sell.

Biker19

Banned
There are people waiting until The Show comes out to buy a PS4. A game as simple as baseball will be able to sell more units, crazy if you ask me. If TLoU Remastered comes out in June, along with the Destiny beta, I can definitely see them hitting 10M right around E3.

And don't forget Watch Dogs. That will also be heavily associated with PS4, too.

Skeff

Your sources for PAL numbers?

Looks like just 50% of NPD. We're not getting anything more accurate than a 3.9-4.3 million ballpark.

And don't forget Watch Dogs. That will also be heavily associated with PS4, too.

I think Watchdogs bundle will sell out wherever they release it, the popularity of watchdogs has probably waned here on GAF, but it's still a very popular title speaking anecdotally.

RdN

I think Indian guy is ready for that,and Spencer,since both just become CEO/leader of Xbox division not long time ago

And i don't really think 5 million shipped in 5 months is really that bad like that would make MS sell the division,it just PS4 selling very,very crazy

Need to also count AUS,NZ and Canada,maybe 4.1-4.2?

There's also Brazil... Xbox One is actually selling really well there.

My memory is a bit hazy. Didn't March only have the $499 TF bundle, and the $449 bundle didn't come until April? I could have sworn remembering Gaffers saying those $449 bundles wouldn't show up on the March NPD.

Also, I wonder if Microsoft had to slow down production or if they're simply having to store Xbones in their own warehouses because retailers won't accept anymore shipments until they can clear out existing inventory. I have no doubt that's why the custom Titanfall Xbone never made it to mass production.

Well, they've already tried bundling software.

So the next step is likely to be free Live for an introductory period, which should be a bit kinder to profit margins than an outright price cut.

If that doesn't work then it's death spiral time.

Target had the $450 TitanFall or Forza XB1 bundles with a free 1yr XBL card last week.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
No, it's not. Even using your wildly optimistic PAL=0,5NPD factor, it all adds up to merely 3.5 mil.

+ 145k in January NPD
+ 72,5k in January PAL
+ 258k in February NPD
+ 129k in February PAL

So adding March
311k in the US
+ 155,5k in Europe

tl;dr: probably <4M sold-through!
They needed 5 months to sell the amount of consoles they projected for the first 2 months / 2013 (3,9M manifactured) and are already behind 2:1 against their major competitor.

That's the thing, I'm being extremely generous with the PAL numbers so people don't say I'm low balling the X1. Also, didn't MS announce 3.1M sold WW at the end of 2013?

RdN

Very unlikely that its selling well. At the price point PS4 and Xbox One are now, their numbers are just not significant here.

Xbox One has been seeing great deals lately, which is pushing sales. PS4 is indeed a non-contestant due to the ridiculous price point.

Road

ps4_xbo_201404d5arn.png

klee123

I don't even give a damn about the Xbox One and I still imagine it must be pretty insufferable for an Xbox user to browse this forum in these days, with all the Sony user base giggling and gloating at every chance.

Like as if the MS and Nintendo fanboys didn't do that last gen when their systems of choice were beating the PS3.

It's awesome seeing MS and Nintendo fanboys complaining about their favourite company's console being shat on, despite that they were doing the same shit last gen.

Top Bottom