• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

im_dany

I've hoped that eventually I could replace all my best 360 games with digital versions, and have them available through BC. Yesterday while going through my games and realized Dead Space 2 and 3 aren't available digitally at all, and neither are Mass Effect 2 and 3.

For some reason EA never edited their multi-disc games to release them on XBLM.
Which is absurd IMHO considering other developers do that easily (all R* multidisc games, LA Noire MP3 and GTA5, have been patched to be sold through XBLM) and those are big franchises.

What was on EvB's list?

Here was the list.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Toy Story 3
Portal 2
HItman Absolution
Street Fighter IV
Red Dead Redemption
Soul Calibur IV
Alan Wake
Harms Way
Resident Evil
Dead Island
Dead island Riptide
Gears of War 3
Crackdown
Crackdown 2
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2
Sonic Adventure
Dragonball Z Xenoverse
Just Cause 2
Condemned
Tron Evolution
Braid
Mirrors Edge
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Metal Gear HD Collection
Soul Calibur
Asura's Wrath
Fallout 3
Borderlands
Risen
Castle Crashers
Bayonetta

He also had a Shadow Complex store screenshot in July, before it was announced officially.

2k and Square-Enix seem to have a lot of games for sale every week. I know they have been confirmed to support BC, but what are the odds that the weekly sales will be BC come November?

2k and Square-Enix seem to have a lot of games for sale every week. I know they have been confirmed to support BC, but what are the odds that the weekly sales will be BC come November?
Highly likely! Great way for devs/puns to make some more money on titles that don't sell anymore...that's why people are on board with MS doing this for their games

Here was the list.

Street Fighter IV
Red Dead Redemption
Soul Calibur IV
Resident Evil
Gears of War 3
Crackdown
Crackdown 2
Sonic Adventure
Condemned
Braid
Mirrors Edge
Metal Gear HD Collection
Soul Calibur
Asura's Wrath
Castle Crashers
Bayonetta

sogood.gif :D

EvB

I've added a few more that I think are being looked at.

They said 100 games will be there when it launches in November

Alan Wake
Asura's Wrath
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Bayonetta
BioShock 2
Bioshock Infinite

Borderlands
Braid
Call of Duty MW2
Call of Duty Black Ops II

Castle Crashers
Cloning Clyde
Condemned
Crackdown
Crackdown 2
Dead Island
Dead island Riptide
Dirt Showdown
Dragonball Z Xenoverse
Fallout 3
Frogger
Gears of War
Ghost Recon : Advanced Warfighter
Harms Way
HItman Absolution
Just Cause 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Metal Gear HD Collection
Metal Slug XX
Minecraft 360 Edition
Mirrors Edge
Ms. Splosion Man
Oblivion
PlayOnline Viewer AKA Final Fantasy 11
Portal 2
Portal : Sill alive
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2
Red Dead Redemption
Resident Evil
Risen
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
Soul Calibur IV
Street Fighter IV
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
The Orange Box
Toy Story 3
Tron Evolution
Trials Fusion
Worms Ultimate Mayhem

kuYuri

Activision wasn't on the list of publishers that MS revealed at Gamescom who were on board with BC, I hope something's changed in the last week if your list is accurate.

pizzacat

Banned

Alan Wake
Asura's Wrath
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Bayonetta
BioShock 2
Bioshock Infinite

Borderlands
Braid
Call of Duty MW2
Call of Duty Black Ops II

Castle Crashers
Cloning Clyde
Condemned
Crackdown
Crackdown 2
Dead Island
Dead island Riptide
Dirt Showdown
Dragonball Z Xenoverse
Fallout 3
Frogger
Gears of War
Ghost Recon : Advanced Warfighter
Harms Way
HItman Absolution
Just Cause 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Metal Gear HD Collection
Metal Slug XX
Minecraft 360 Edition
Mirrors Edge
Ms. Splosion Man
Oblivion
Portal 2
Portal : Sill alive
Rainbow 6 Vegas 2
Red Dead Redemption
Resident Evil
Risen
Sonic Adventure
Soul Calibur
Soul Calibur IV
Street Fighter IV
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
The Orange Box
Toy Story 3
Tron Evolution
Trials Fusion
Worms Ultimate Mayhem
METAL GEAR HD

It's both the thing that makes this true and false at the same time

EvB

Activision wasn't on the list of publishers that MS revealed at Gamescom who were on board with BC, I hope something's changed in the last week if your list is accurate.

They are definitely looking hard at MW, it may just be from the point of view of general optimisation or it may be that they are preparing it ready for another reason.
I suppose the way that emulation works means that improving the performance for a particular game may have further ramifications.

One thing that I've often wondered is what is to stop a developer patching a 360 game to run at a higher resolution, because it may not be an issue for the Xbox One to run it?

What if the Prototype collection is actually an example of this? It runs worse than the 360 but runs as a higher resolution.

Mcdohl

PlayOnline Viewer AKA Final Fantasy 11

Lol.

SE is going to stop supporting console (PS2/XBOX360) clients for FFXI starting March 2016.

So we will only experience this BC for like 3 months.

Hawk269

Man Halo Wars needs to be added for November launch. With the sequel now announced it should be a high priority game to be added to the list of BC titles.

From gamespot article, interview from gamescom.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-backward-compatibility-microsoft-in-posit/1100-6429470/

However, there were some notable absentees from Microsoft's list, including Call of Duty Modern Warfare publisher Activision, Metal Gear Solid owners Konami, and Grand Theft Auto 5 publisher Take-Two.

Speaking in an interview with GameSpot at Gamescom, Spencer was asked if he anticipates support from the noticeably absent publishers.

"We're having great conversations with all the publishers about backward compatibility," he replied.

The above list, before the gamescom list was shown, had Konami, Take Two and Activision titles on it, I don't think that is a coincidence.

Clearly they are working with these companies and it will be bigger news when they are "officially" on board.

8bit

Knows the Score
I think MS published the Xbox 360 port so it should make it over. If Sega published it, it should come over since they're on board with BC.

I don't think Sega did publish it though, wasn't it Q Entertainment? It's my most wanted BC game, but I'm sceptical it will appear.

yes it is :)
I couldn't be more happy with BC now. It's a little silly that I have spent so much money for new console to play Gears 1 just like on 360 for couple years straight but DVR was worth it alone!

I gave my 360 to my nephew last summer and I really miss it, BC is something I really want in every console and i'm happy that the xbox one is getting it, for the most part.

BTW do you feel that the game runs a little smoother? I checked a few areas which had lower frame rates from the other day but i can't be sure.

OrangeOak

I gave my 360 to my nephew last summer and I really miss it, BC is something I really want in every console and i'm happy that the xbox one is getting it, for the most part.

BTW do you feel that the game runs a little smoother? I checked a few areas which had lower frame rates from the other day but i can't be sure.

to be fair I play it a lot for last two days in multiplayer and I think I just got used to it being slow because it plays for me just like x360 version when it comes to input lag ( or maybe it is just so close). Framerate drops when there is a lot of action though. It drops frames with 3-4 characters shooting in close range or when there are bodies on the floor and it wasn't like that on 360. I must play some matches after update to check if it's better.
Maybe campaign runs worse by default with AI, bigger maps etc.

Went back to check the opening for shadow complex on 360. Saw a YouTube of it and it's a smooth 30 fps pretty much throughout. So yeah, the emulation needs work.

dysonEA

Any chance metal gear HD will be a games with gold selection? Be awesome to have that to grab when it's BC on xone.

sja_626

Perhaps if Final Fantasy XI is being tested its because it's the craziest edge case game they could think of that does all sorts of strange things. Good way to put the emulation through its paces. But if support is ending soon if be very surprised if it ever gets official BC status. Or maybe if this works well enough they won't end 360 version support after all.

kuYuri

From gamespot article, interview from gamescom.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-backward-compatibility-microsoft-in-posit/1100-6429470/

The above list, before the gamescom list was shown, had Konami, Take Two and Activision titles on it, I don't think that is a coincidence.

Clearly they are working with these companies and it will be bigger news when they are "officially" on board.

Oh I'm sure it's a continuing process of negotiating with the publishers. I hope as many games as possible become BC!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
One thing that I've often wondered is what is to stop a developer patching a 360 game to run at a higher resolution, because it may not be an issue for the Xbox One to run it?

That's not to say it couldn't happen, but I'd say its unlikely since the bulk of the processing power will be devoted to the actual emulation. Emulation takes up a LOT of processing power.

Of course, I was one of the people saying that there was no possible way an X1 could properly emulate a 360, but I have clearly been proven wrong.

muzzymate

I noticed that when going into the 360's Manage Storage option, you no longer get a list of all your 360 cloud saves. Only saves that you've accessed thru the emulator.

I want to say it was previously possible to see what was playable because saves belonging to unplayable titles thru the emulator just had a a generic icon. Is it now only downloading the saves for games you've downloaded? Wonder if this is why most games Reserved Space is down dramatically from the beginning of the program.

Top Bottom