• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

Justinh

Hopefully we get Dead Rising at some point, still been meaning to play that again!

Also, when someone invites you to the Preview thing, are you guaranteed to get in? I've been invited like three times, and nothing happened.

I dunno man, I invited like 3-4 people and I don't think any of them got in. Kinda put me off inviting anyone else.

Is UMvC3 compatible? Is there a list somewhere?

I don't see how this could ever happen since they can't even sell it digitally anymore

Syriel

If they remade the games, like for example if they decided to remake conker live & reloaded for rare replay, would they still have to pay nvidia since it technically would not be emulated?

No. There are no rights to the games, just the hardware design.

A port to Xbox One is an Xbox One game.

Now a "clean room" emulator wouldn't require a licensing fee, but would be much more difficult to develop. It's one thing to develop an emulator when you know how all of the hardware works. It's another when you don't.

In short, it likely is not financially feasible to develop an Xbox emulator for the Xbox One at this time, even though the technical hurdles are quite low.

Ok so I think I'm going insane because my searches proved unfruitful, but I vaguely remember something about how if you preordered Gears UE or Gears 4 (can't remember which) you would get access to the 360 digital versions of the old games (which would be back compatable on One).

Is this something I dreamed up, or what?

RoKKeR

Ok so I think I'm going insane because my searches proved unfruitful, but I vaguely remember something about how if you preordered Gears UE or Gears 4 (can't remember which) you would get access to the 360 digital versions of the old games (which would be back compatable on One).

If you play UE this year you get all 4 360 games for BC.

Found the link: http://news.xbox.com/2015/08/xbox-one-gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-comes-with-gears-collection

LowSignal

for a limited time purchase and play gears of war ultimate edition and get the entire xbox 360 gears of war collection for use on xbox one

I played through half of shadow complex today, some real nasty frame drops now and again plus sometimes the game would lag enough to drop a button input, eating up my jump.

The more I play these BC titles the more worried I get that these issues are here to stay.

The more I play these BC titles the more worried I get that these issues are here to stay.

It hasn't even been released yet. In fact, we haven't even had any real updates yet either, other than some housekeeping on the Rare games. For all we know, they could be doing daily/weekly builds for their in house testing.

Anyone else still not have Shadow Complex or Gears show up?

Edit: Hmm, I think I might have bought Shadow Complex with a different gamer tag. Might have to sign in on that one.

sangreal

It hasn't even been released yet. In fact, we haven't even had any real updates yet either, other than some housekeeping on the Rare games. For all we know, they could be doing daily/weekly builds for their in house testing.
To be fair, it is released for the rare games

Some acknowledgement of the issues besides the known issues list would be nice. because the Xbox emulator also had a known issues list

I know and I really hope so, i'm still concerned though. I've heard here on neogaf that nuts and bolts in the rare collection can have some nasty frame drops, my brothers plays that game quite a bit on the 360 and it's usually smooth.

In terms of issues, is it me or is there some kind of delay/lag with the controls?

I really noticed this with Gears 1 and Perfect Dark Zero. I dont remember this games so unresponsive.
Oh and of course a lot of framerate issues.

Im a bit worried about games from the later 360 cycle. The games we are playing now in preview are mostly launch games or arcade titles.

I know and I really hope so, i'm still concerned though. I've heard here on neogaf that nuts and bolts in the rare collection can have some nasty frame drops, my brothers plays that game quite a bit on the 360 and it's usually smooth.
I think the Xbox One emulation currently eliminates screen tearing on 360 games (which is great), but those frames are dropped causing worse framerates (which is bad). Hopefully they find a solution to fix this.

Links_fantasy

I just want a slim Xbone so I can replay rhe 360 RPGs and the hopefully Rare games to come. I'm willing to wait a year or two as my WiiU and PS4 are keeping me busy as well as the 3DS.

m23

I think the Xbox One emulation currently eliminates screen tearing on 360 games (which is great), but those frames are dropped causing worse framerates (which is bad). Hopefully they find a solution to fix this.

Your avatar reminded me.....we need Ninja Gaiden 2 to be BC asap.

I played through half of shadow complex today, some real nasty frame drops now and again plus sometimes the game would lag enough to drop a button input, eating up my jump.

Yep. One fight with a mech that has a destructible environment was brought to a crawl, but that's been the only unplayable section of the game for me. Others have been noticeable but not unplayable, this section was really bad. I recorded it and will share the video.

sangreal

When it says by "playing on Xbox Live", does that mean I have to play online or just in general? I'm interested in the single player but have no intention of buying Gold.

If it is like past offers, it should just mean playing while connected to the internet

dLMN8R

There hasn't been a single significant update to backwards compatibility support since it launched. So "the more you play" is meaningless since you're using the exact same code as you were using when it launched in preview nearly two months ago.

At the same time, the team has been churning away improvements ever since. And there are still probably months more to go before it actually comes out.

Even if the issues were theoretically "here to stay", I'd take some frame drops over the alternative, as in, not being able to play them on XB1 at all. As someone who's 360 is basically a dust catcher right now I'm stoked at any game that comes to BC, issues or not.

There hasn't been a single significant update to backwards compatibility support since it launched. So "the more you play" is meaningless since you're using the exact same code as you were using when it launched in preview nearly two months ago.

At the same time, the team has been churning away improvements ever since. And there are still probably months more to go before it actually comes out.
They confirmed November for the new dash and for BC roll out to public. So ya, still a few months, and that's just for initial release

There is a beta forum. People should go there and complain about the forced v-sync. If they don't complain about it they shouldn't expect anything to change.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

And the entire idea of preview is to help improve the BC solution. It's not so preview members get to play BC titles early. If that were the case, then there would be a lot more titles available through the preview program considering over 100 titles will be ready by the BC rollout. The BC program will improve.

krang

If I'm not in the preview program, how will I make sure that my account successfully got the 360 Gears games?

It depends, I think. If you buy the game digitally they should be added automatically to your account. If you buy the boxed game then you probably get codes for them to redeem on Xbox.com.

In either case, the Microsoft Billing site is your friend to see what you have had added to your account.

http://japanese.engadget.com/2015/08/11/xbox-one-360-gog/

そこで編集部が数社に問い合わせたところ、セガは『ベヨネッタ』が後方互換に対応予定。
Bayonetta confirmed.

Another title that was on EvB's list last month.

Jawmuncher

Was playing banjo nuts & bolts through rare replay. In split screen MP that game runs rough. Was it like that on 360 as well or is it an emulation problem?

I've hoped that eventually I could replace all my best 360 games with digital versions, and have them available through BC. Yesterday while going through my games and realized Dead Space 2 and 3 aren't available digitally at all, and neither are Mass Effect 2 and 3.

pswii60

Can someone explain why Microsoft is paying NVIDIA to emulate the OG Xbox? Trying to grasp my head around it.
Did they have to pay for the emulation that was on the 360?
Microsoft owns the design of the 360 GPU, despite its joint development with ATI. Nvidia owns the design of the Xbox GPU, as it was basically an off the shelf component and MS had set up an unfavourable contract.

http://japanese.engadget.com/2015/08/11/xbox-one-360-gog/

そこで編集部が数社に問い合わせたところ、セガは『ベヨネッタ』が後方互換に対応予定。
Bayonetta confirmed.

So, if that's the case, then it bodes well for the rest of Sega's X360 output. Although I doubt they'll bother with delisted games that people can still download on X360, I hope there's a chance since it's technically not a new release. Bring on VF2, FV, VF5/VF5FS, JSR, Vanquish, and the rest.

Top Bottom