• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One adds Xbox 360 backwards compatibility

OG Xbox emulation, while not impossible, is pretty much unneeded. Just about any decent game on the xbox has been ported to the 360/XB1.

So that leaves maybe a handful of games trapped on that machine that haven't been ported elsewhere, like JSRF (which can be played on the 360 via its BC) and maybe a few others.

I don't see where it would make business sense to add that emulation to the XB1, especially given that they would need to pay nvidia to properly do that emulation.

OrangeOak

I don't know if I just adjusted to it or was there some update that made Gears 1 more fluid than it was before?
I could swear that it run worse yesterday, it's like input lag is almost gone.

OG Xbox emulation, while not impossible, is pretty much unneeded. Just about any decent game on the xbox has been ported to the 360/XB1.

So that leaves maybe a handful of games trapped on that machine that haven't been ported elsewhere, like JSRF (which can be played on the 360 via its BC) and maybe a few others.

I don't see where it would make business sense to add that emulation to the XB1, especially given that they would need to pay nvidia to properly do that emulation.

*Throws copies of Panzer Dragoon Orta and Shenmue 2 in the wood chipper*

Ummm, what good is this? That's like saying you can play all 360 games on a 360.

well, for one it's available to play outside of the OG Xbox. So there are some options.

I just don't see a scenario where OG Xbox emulation is worth the time or effort. We should instead bug the publishers of the last handful of decent games still stuck on that machine to port them elsewhere. It's much easier to convince Sega to bring PDO or JSRF to other platforms with resolution and framerate improvements than it is to get Microsoft to pay Nvidia for the privilege of letting people play those games in mostly 4:3 resolutions on XB1.

Synth

well, for one it's available to play outside of the OG Xbox. So there are some options.

I just don't see a scenario where OG Xbox emulation is worth the time or effort. We should instead bug the publishers of the last handful of decent games still stuck on that machine to port them elsewhere. It's much easier to convince Sega to bring PDO or JSRF to other platforms with resolution and framerate improvements than it is to get Microsoft to pay Nvidia for the privilege of letting people play those games in mostly 4:3 resolutions on XB1.

No, I get what you're saying about it being worth the investment. I just thought it was a bit weird to cite 360 BC (which in JSRF's case was already a bit crap) as a reason why it wouldn't be required for XB1. I can appreciate that it OG Xbox backwards compatibility won't happen... but I think you're seriously underestimating the amount of legitimately good/great games that are stuck on it... and most honestly have even less hope of being ported, than there is of being emulated. Sure we may get JSRF and (probably not) Panzer Dragoon Orta. But we're not gonna get stuff like Rallisport Challenge, Project Gotham 2, Sega GT 2002, Dead or Alive 3 & Ultimate, Gunvalkyrie, Metal Arms, Ninja Gaiden Black, and countless other games stuck on that console... let alone multiplat games that are stuck like Timesplitters. Pretty much everything that you'd require the BC for outside of a handful of Sega titles (and that's only because they're more receptive to bring back older games) is essentially a lost cause.

Can someone explain why Microsoft is paying NVIDIA to emulate the OG Xbox? Trying to grasp my head around it.
Did they have to pay for the emulation that was on the 360?

OrangeOak

I know why it feels so different for me. It's because I was sending a lot of clips the first day that I played and with my connection it was a bad idea. I am maybe more adjusted to it too.
I would really like to see some option to turn off auto uploading of clips or upload only when not playing. I don't know if that is possible though.

Yaqoub

Does Xbox DVR functionality work with BC games?

And by extension, can you stream on Twitch the same way as XB1 games?

RowdyReverb

Can someone explain why Microsoft is paying NVIDIA to emulate the OG Xbox? Trying to grasp my head around it.
I'm also curious to know the source for this. Do they pay ATI or IBM to do BC for the XB1 as well? I have heard that the NVIDIA chip has been the stumbling block for OG Xbox emulation, but idk how that translates to royally fees

It's sort of more complicated than that.
The deal for making the original xBox was relatively slanted in nVidia's direction compared to a typical one. Basically, nVidia just shipped the GPUs as "black boxes guaranteed to work", and when they decided to stop making them, MS couldn't make xBoxes anymore.

This heavily complicated making compatibility code for 360 since nobody outside nVidia had an exact idea how did the thing work, and nVidia wasn't willing to share, expecting MS to buy next generation of their GPUs.

m23

So I just realized that my original Gears 1 disc was scratched up really bad and it has been unplayable for years now. I thought I'd try using it for BC and it worked, I guess since it just uses the disc for authentication it's not a problem. Awesome.

So I just realized that my original Gears 1 disc was scratched up really bad and it has been unplayable for years now. I thought I'd try using it for BC and it worked, I guess since it just uses the disc for authentication it's not a problem. Awesome.

The one big plus side to this BC, those damaged discs may still be useful.

Also I forgot how bullshit some moments in gears 1 can be, the RAAM battle I still don't fully understand it and it has too many cheap deaths.

Same situation as you, do you notice the framerate drops to like < 15fps at times? I don't remember it being that bad and don't know whether it's just the way it's being emulated or if it's the disc. My Digital Mass Effect is like it too with horrible choppy performance.

FyreWulff

The super simplified explanation is that Microsoft doesn't own the hardware "design" of the original Xbox.

They do, however, own the design of the 360, which they paid AMD to make for them. Microsoft can license out the 360 to anyone to manufacture - which they have to do anyway, AMD has no foundries.

edit: or to put it another way

With the original Xbox, MS did the rough equivalent of going to the store and buying parts off the shelf and mashing them together into a PC case.

Bossniak

What happens when you put in the gears 1 disc? When I put mine in non scratched it says error and to make sure it's a Xbox one game message. It's not prompting me to download the game or anything. I am on the preview.

What happens when you put in the gears 1 disc? When I put mine in non scratched it says error and to make sure it's a Xbox one game message. It's not prompting me to download the game or anything. I am on the preview.

It should stay install disc, click on it and it will prompt you do download the game (7.1GB)

m23

It just told me that an update is available and proceeds to download the game. Maybe your disc is even worse than mine? I know mine didn't work on the 360.

Same situation as you, do you notice the framerate drops to like < 15fps at times? I don't remember it being that bad and don't know whether it's just the way it's being emulated or if it's the disc. My Digital Mass Effect is like it too with horrible choppy performance.

That might just be the result of BC, since it's still in preview I'm hoping these are temporary issues.

It's the emulation, sometimes in heavy loading points the game will stutter and get choppy for a moment, other times you get frame drops from the game having a lot on screen and the emulator having a mix of forced vsync and the way it handles data.

Mass Effect is rather bad becaus that game was full of tearing, with the vsync rendering of the emulator you are getting half frame rates due to it.

Chitown B

Looks like Mass Effect was updated on my X1. Any news?

edit: still can't play my save because it requires the DLC I can't download.

LewieP

But we're not gonna get stuff like Rallisport Challenge, Project Gotham 2, Sega GT 2002, Dead or Alive 3 & Ultimate, Gunvalkyrie, Metal Arms, Ninja Gaiden Black, and countless other games stuck on that console.

Fairly certain I played this on Gamecube.

Although I agree in principal that some degree of Original Xbox BC would be nice, at least for the games available on Xbox Live, even if I can't really see it happening.

Black comes to mind as another great game that still looks great and is highly playable.

Tomash

Why is Black Ops II considered the best CoD by so many fans?

Modern Warfare 3 and Ghosts had incredibly bad maps because IW map makers left for Respawn Entertainment, and Advanced Warfare is a huge departure from classical CoD gameplay.

Activision says Black Ops 2 engagement has risen to over 11 million monthly average users

In Activision’s Quarterly Earnings call, Activision CEO stated that since the Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 reveal in April, player engagement in Black Ops 2 has grown incredibly.

In fact, there are over 11 million users playing monthly, an incredible number of players for a title that is only available on last-gen platforms. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 was Treyarch’s last release, released back in 2012. Activision previously confirmed that the Call of Duty: Black Ops series is the most played series in Call of Duty franchise.

With this momentum, Activision also stated that Black Ops III preorders are ‘significantly’ higher compared to Advanced Warfare last year at this time.

Activision can milk it hard with something like remasters of Black Ops 1&2 as DLC for Black Ops 3.

Chris1

Edit: I'm dumb. Hopefully noone saw my post before the edit :(

But yeah, BO2 is the best in the series IMO. If it gets BC I'm pretty sure I would play it more than BO3.

Synth

Fairly certain I played this on Gamecube.

Although I agree in principal that some degree of Original Xbox BC would be nice, at least for the games available on Xbox Live, even if I can't really see it happening.

Black comes to mind as another great game that still looks great and is highly playable.

Well, we've technically lost Gamecube BC as well. :p

Syriel

Um, no. It's because the minimal onboard storage for the system OS wasn't enough for the emulation software.

If that were the case, BC would work with USB storage. It has everything to do with the licensing fees required by nVidia.

The better explanation is that Activision would like to be able to sell you those games again and thus BC isn't something that interests them.

BC allows companies to continually sell old games for the new system.

People do realize they will do this slowly on purpose right. Each game on BC will be available for purchase, so having games up for purchase first will get companies money before they make it BC for free.

What do you mean "make it BC for free?" In order to play a game via BC you will either have to own the disc or own it digitally. When BC officially launches, all BC enabled games will be available for purchase in the Xbox One storefront.

Part of selling BC to publishers is the simple fact that it opens up another sales channel with zero work. Yes, some are using BC as pre-order incentives, but that's secondary.

Others have covered it, but simple answer is nVidia owns the IP to the graphics part. It's a consequence of using off-the-shelf parts rather than paying for a custom design.

sonto340

where did you read this?
I'm almost certain it was part of the original announcement, but even if it's not, all the games are downloaded from the server already. Even when you put in a disc all it does is look up the ID and download the game. It's not a huge stretch to say they'll all be available digitally.

drotahorror

The benefit of aditionally selling those old games again digitally much be far greater.

Another benefit for me would be if they allowed me to use MS cards to buy 360 digital games on their website or via XB1. Why do I need a 360 to buy digital games with MS's money cards?

So, since all future 360 Games with Gold titles will be backwards compatible. What are your 360 predictions for next month?

Mine are :

• Borderlands
  • Mirror's Edge

I could also see a Splinter Cell Conviction and Blacklist bundle kinda like Metro this month. After all Blacklist was on the wheel so it could be a thing.

im_dany

So, since all future 360 Games with Gold titles will be backwards compatible. What are your 360 predictions for next month?

Mine are :

• Borderlands
  • Mirror's Edge
Borderlands is on sale right now, I don't see that happening.

Plus BC is not officially released yet, so they still may give non-BC games I guess.
Mirror's Edge would be good to push Catalyst's sales (they didn't annouce it as a preorder bonus, right?), but they would give it later (Catalyst releases in february).

Borderlands is on sale right now, I don't see that happening.

Plus BC is not officially released yet, so they still may give non-BC games I guess.
Mirror's Edge would be good to push Catalyst's sales (they didn't annouce it as a preorder bonus, right?), but they would give it later (Catalyst releases in february).

It is? I better jump on that.

-------
Sweet, its only £3.75 and never played the series before so gonna buy it now.

They said all future Games with Gold titles will be Backward Compatible at Gamescom.

sangreal

Looks like Mass Effect was updated on my X1. Any news?

edit: still can't play my save because it requires the DLC I can't download.

they seem to be testing the Bring Down the Sky DLC so probably related to that

dlc.png

don't know why the boxart didn't load right. the tile is just the normal ME boxart

Chris1

Hoping we see Red Dead Redemption as a GWG in the upcoming months, would be an awesome way to announce Rockstar is on board with BC too. If all the GWG's are titles that were already announced to be BC (First Party, Borderlands, etc) it would cheapen the gamescom announcement a tiny bit imo.

"Today we are happy to announce Rockstar is on board with Backwards Compatibility which will allow us to bring you some of the most requested titles on the user feedback page including Red Dead Redemption. To celebrate this, Red Dead Redemption will also be a part of next months games with gold lineup"

Just back from the future and read this on Major Nelson's blog about next months GWG.

On a serious note I hope they make GWG's titles that aren't announced to be going to BC yet so that it comes as a surprise

That would be amazing! Imagine if they added GTA IV in the same month as well,that would be insane.

I doubt any EA games will be on GWG, Just because I can see them putting it behind EA Access (not that is a bad thing.)

Hmm, I never thought of that. EA Access could be another subscription I need to buy. God help me.

tmtyf

Others have covered it, but simple answer is nVidia owns the IP to the graphics part. It's a consequence of using off-the-shelf parts rather than paying for a custom design.

If they remade the games, like for example if they decided to remake conker live & reloaded for rare replay, would they still have to pay nvidia since it technically would not be emulated?

Mask

Hopefully we get Dead Rising at some point, still been meaning to play that again!

Also, when someone invites you to the Preview thing, are you guaranteed to get in? I've been invited like three times, and nothing happened.

Chitown B

"Today we are happy to announce Rockstar is on board with Backwards Compatibility which will allow us to bring you some of the most requested titles on the user feedback page including Red Dead Redemption. To celebrate this, Red Dead Redemption will also be a part of next months games with gold lineup"

Just back from the future and read this on Major Nelson's blog about next months GWG.

On a serious note I hope they make GWG's titles that aren't announced to be going to BC yet so that it comes as a surprise

be careful about posting stuff like this. Someone is going to think it's real without reading your next line.

Top Bottom