• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One beats PS4 on Black Friday, according to market-research firm

Status
Not open for further replies.

RE_Player

Xbox One was cheaper, had tons of bundles and tons of stores were adding on their own deals too the package. It's not surprising they won Black Friday in North America and will probably win November NPD because of it.

Sony was on cruise control.

Madness

I cant see how they collected the data to be a valid sample size.

102,000 receipts, of which more than 1500 were of console purchases. Those are better numbers than a ton of surveys online do which are used to facilitate discussion. Maybe look at the fact that, hey, MS probably sold a shit ton of Xbox One consoles. You extrapolate the data.

I agree it's not really that meaningful but still.

spannicus

I wish peoplr would stop saying this. There is nothing special about Microsofts lineup.

FH2
MCC
SO
IM sure these titles helped alot compared to what?
DC

sounds like a right games, right price, at the right time case. Early 2015 Sony has the games coming through, but folks are probably gonna wait till then.

EatMyFace

Banned
Ive got a feeling the X1 will do just as good or better than the 360 did in lifetime sales. Now that more people actually own them, they will tell their friends what the experience is like, OS, games level. Eventually the 360 will be forgot about and everyone will just move over to the one. The cycle will repeat. What screwed them was that 500 price. Microsofts current beast mode is good for people on a budget and people who love playing games.
Or the PS4 like most have been doing all year.

I got a feeling petiole are being too quick to celebrate. IF XB1 takes the month we don't know by how much. I have a feeling the PS4s sales are being underestimated here.

If MS cant win a month after dropping the price 170 bucks within a year then I dunno what to say.

Unless the gap is huge (500k) I doubt Sony will even react unless it carries over to January.

Even then I doubt they will react unless they're own sales are disappointing. This is still iny one region worldwide and Sony is selling very well there especially compared to last gen. They have no reason to react.

tuna_love

Banned
Or the PS4 like most have been doing all year.

I got a feeling petiole are being too quick to celebrate. IF XB1 takes the month we don't know by how much. I have a feeling the PS4s sales are being underestimated here.
Are you incapable of spelling people?

If Forza and SSO helped, XB1 would had 'won' October, at least, not lose by 100k units.

Sure, from a full slate perspective, XB1 has a better AAA line-up this fall, but despite the quality of said games, it's fair to say that SSO and FH2 amounted to 'nothing noteworthy' in terms of pushing the system sales.

wotta

We should do our own survey and ask who bought which console. You'd somehow need to divide up the countries, but it'd give a good indication if this research is correct.

I'm in the UK and can see both consoles selling out, I know three people who bought PS4, but I'm sure plenty bought xb1.

EatMyFace

Banned
FH2
MCC
SO
IM sure these titles helped alot compared to what?
DC

sounds like a right games at the right time case. Early 2015 Sony has the games coming through, but folks are probably gonna wait till then.
Both lineups are are bad. Give or take 1 exclusive.

Also didn't SO not even make it to the Top10 in October? It's not helping as much as you think.

MCC is in the same position as Driveclub.

FH2 is also on 360 just like LPB3 is also on PS3.

It's really just a matter of personal taste. You can't say one had the better lineup like it's a fact. It's your personal opinion.

If Forza and SSO helped, XB1 would had 'won' October, at least, not lose by 100k units.

Sure, from a full slate perspective, XB1 has a better AAA line-up this fall, but despite the quality of said games, it's fair to say that SSO and FH2 amounted to 'nothing noteworthy' in terms of pushing the system sales.
Together with MCC they did help push the "Xbox has more games" narrative that I hear among casuals lately, though. That along with multiplats, the low pricing, and the shopping season is all adding up.

Amir0x

Banned
I wish peoplr would stop saying this. There is nothing special about Microsofts lineup.

I didn't say it was "special", I said it was "more compelling" [than its rival PS4]. It's still subjective, but I'd argue I have a very strong case to make for that. Microsoft simply nailed their fall lineup much more effectively. If it wasn't for their Halo:MCC bungle (which Sony had just as catastrophic a launch with Driveclub), it would truly be sealed.

I think if you're looking at factors that can contribute toward people who were skeptical about XBO finally jumping on, it's having these insane deals PLUS a lot of really good AAA exclusives this Holiday season. Because then it makes people feel like they're not just being consumer whores, there's something they actually want to play that isn't on another platform they own.

PS4 has plenty of great indies and solid, superior multiplatform products, and it's going to continue to sell well. But I'm just making an argument for the different contributing factors that will lead to a significant gap this November between XBO and PS4.

my feeling is that vr will mostly benefit games that are experimental by nature. this means indie developers will be free to do whatever the hell they want and make a lot of cool shit. huge developers will have a hard time making a shift, like they did with the wii, and pretty much just waste it on the barebones experience (everything is first-person now!). for that reason, i think you'll see headsets, especially related to gaming, a lot more popular outside of a creatively bankrupt traditional market. i think to make it really work you'd need to have entire studios working to prove the worth of such a device... not that i'd say no to an oculus-viewed mirror's edge 2, p.t., or tf2.

I think you're a lot more cynical about developers than I am.

Developers weren't really confused by Wii, even though that often made a good scapegoat. It's that developers weren't going to spend the time and effort to really get to know Wii the way they should because it was impossible to port games to it without completely destroying them from PS3/360/PC, and then the added wiimote functionality made such a thing even more complicated.

One thing is true: this is a industry that relies heavily on a healthy multiplatform porting environment in order to reach a profitable bottom line. Wii essentially took itself out of that equation.

So as long as at least two of the major players are synchronized with their VR tech, I don't think it'd be an issue. Because PC will have the VR tech too (Oculus) so then you add PS5 (Morpheus) and Xbox Two (Fortaleza) and you got another compelling multiplatform porting environment.

Who knows what Nintendo is going to do with their Health... Wearable...whatever shit. But I have to say with the wave that is coming, I hope their big idea is not another whiff :p

GhaleonEB

Because it's fun.

It's also stupid. There have basically been two threads mixed here: discussion about the November sales, and people (using you as an example) salivating at someone flipping out as a result. The former has been really interesting, the second is distracting and akin to lobbing spitballs while people try to talk. Stahp.

It would not surprise me that Xbox One won November NPD. MS had crazy deals and discount. My best friend and I both picked up a Xbox One since the deals were too good to pass up and Halo, which was the reason we became best friends. However PS4 is a non stoppable monster at this point

EatMyFace

Banned
I didn't say it was "special", I said it was "more compelling" [than its rival PS4]. It's still subjective, but I'd argue I have a very strong case to make for that. Microsoft simply nailed their fall lineup much more effectively. If it wasn't for their Halo:MCC bungle (which Sony had just as catastrophic a launch with Driveclub), it would truly be sealed.

I think if you're looking at factors that can contribute toward people who were skeptical about XBO finally jumping on, it's having these insane deals PLUS a lot of really good AAA exclusives this Holiday season. Because then it makes people feel like they're not just being consumer whores, there's something they actually want to play that isn't on another platform they own.

PS4 has plenty of great indies and solid, superior multiplatform products, and it's going to continue to sell well. But I'm just making an argument for the different contributing factors that will lead to a significant gap this November between XBO and PS4.
There you go again. Take a look at October NPD. That right there proves how little FH2 and SO matter in the grand scheme of things.

MCC is just a remaster/collection. Then there's those matchmaking issues.

The insane deals are the driving force behind the possible XBO win this November, not an "amazing AAA exclusive lineup".

What are you the spelling police?
I'm on mobile. Write me a ticket, officer.

Getting fierce in here already and we haven't even gotten any numbers or statements yet. It's pretty wild and entertaining seeing so much passion and fervor over a generation where 1st 2nd and 3rd are all but settled.

Chinner

Banned
Looks pretty likely that the Xbox One will outsell the PS4 for November with the price cuts being the deciding factor.

I think this does show the difference in strategy between the two console manufacturers in regards to profitability and market share . Sony appears to be content with the sales numbers, and it's been said that each sale is profitable for them. With Microsoft, I suspect they've probably sacrificed in the attempt to capture more units sold. Whether they're trying to catch up to the PS4, or to attempt to dominate the market in the US is probably an entirely separate debate.

I do wonder if these Xbox One price cuts are permanent, or just for the sales season. Has anyone heard anything about that?

There you go again. Take a look at October NPD. That right there proves how little FH2 and SO matter in the grand scheme of things.

The insane deals are the driving force behind the possible XBO win this November, not an "amazing AAA exclusive lineup".

Hehe. You made up his quote.

liquidtmd

Banned
It would not surprise me that Xbox One won November NPD. MS had crazy deals and discount. My best friend and I both picked up a Xbox One since the deals were too good to pass up and Halo, which was the reason we became best friends. However PS4 is a non stoppable monster at this point

I honestly think the biggest threat to the PS4 at the moment is Sony.

They need to really nail down the PSN issues for many (not all), coupled with looking at concerns voiced about controller battery life as well as not letting the gulf in terms of price / bundles get too out of hand between them and the XB1.

Can things change overnight? No. But give it three months over the holiday season when prices are £50 + on average cheaper? Maybe.

I do wonder if these Xbox One price cuts are permanent, or just for the sales season. Has anyone heard anything about that?

MS claims it's only for the sales season, but honestly, no one really believes it.

What will probably happen is that they'll probably discontinue the ACU bundles, and have it at 349 with no game for January. Then release a 349 Forza bundle in February.

Something something no way MS raises the price now! something something.

What I don't understand is why people think going from 329 to 349 is gonna happen but 349 to 399 is somehow unthinkable. They gave more than fair warning that 349 is a limited time only price.

MS claims it's only for the sales season, but honestly, no one really believes it.

What will probably happen is that they'll probably discontinue the ACU bundles, and have it at 349 with no game for January. Then release a 349 Forza bundle in February.

You don't see Witcher 3 and Evolve bundles happening?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Couple that with a more compelling AAA exclusive lineup on average for the Holiday season, and I think they definitely have what it takes to match Sony's gap in September

We shall see.

Yep. I agree with this. Much better then the current PS4 offering.

Won't surprise anyone will it? Sony needed to cut 50 dollar off the Destiny bundle as soon as the Xbone price cut and the GTA bundle needed to arrive at the game's launch rather than black friday.

EatMyFace

Banned
Getting fierce in here already and we haven't even gotten any numbers or statements yet. It's pretty wild and entertaining seeing so much passion and fervor over a generation where 1st 2nd and 3rd are all but settled.
We must have different definitions of "fierce".
Spelling and grammar double checked for those pepole that care.

:D Sorry I had to. Gotta lighten the mood up a little in here

Amir0x

Banned

Read my actual quote again before you put shit in quotations, and also you don't get the point.

FH2 and SO 'in the grand scheme of things' might mean relatively little... on their own. But then you get these insane deals. And then suddenly a whole market of consumers realize that it's possible they can get an XBO at these prices, and those games incidentally might be great to play if they do get it... a way of justifying their purchase vs. other systems that don't have these games. Suddenly, at the new prices, games that might not on their own be worth buying an XBO when it's at $399 start becoming attractive propositions when the system is at $329 already packed in with two games plus a gift card.

cyberheater said:
Much better then the current PS4 offering.

I don't think it's "much better", but certainly better enough to justify a system at the low prices MS is throwing these systems away for. PS4 overall has a perfectly fine lineup for a first year if we throw out the "exclusive" qualifier - far more rated 80+ metacritic titles than either Wii U or XBO in its first year - but in terms of exclusives and the profile of those exclusives, MS got the right formula for this Holiday season.

2015 is another story of course.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I think they are permanent. It would be quite stupid from them to raise them back to the pre-November price cut bonanza price. Well, they could do something like that in Europe...

Amir0x

Banned
Evolve was such a disappointment. I thought it'd hit that same Left 4 Dead nerve that made that game one of my most played games last gen.

All it did was leave me cold. I hope it was just a poor snippet

-tetsuo- said:
Well I guess it is time for me to kill myself.

:/

AniHawk

I think you're a lot more cynical about developers than I am.

maybe not developers, but publishers have shown fuck-all to me in this new generation in terms of generating new ideas. even the few new ips come from design principles of games from older generations. i'm not seeing bold attempts at the new like what was done with portal, mirror's edge, or burnout paradise. even the big hook this gen is 'online multiplayer... but bigger!'

that's including nintendo too, who confusingly differentiated their products with new methods of display and controls, but then did nothing new with them at all when it came to software. the wii u and 3ds stand next to the gamecube and gba to me as some of their more disappointing eras when it comes to original ideas, although i will say at least the quality of their games surpass the ones of ten years ago (however few there are).

So as long as at least two of the major players are synchronized with their VR tech, I don't think it'd be an issue. Because PC will have the VR tech too (Oculus) so then you add PS5 (Morpheus) and Xbox Two (Fortaleza) and you got another compelling multiplatform porting environment.

perhaps. it's mostly going to depend on software. i think media.molecule is probably the strongest developer between those two first-parties when it comes to developing compelling conceptual software. after all, they're the one first-party that made logical and beautiful use out of every control method on the vita[/url]. i'm pretty sure that whatever else would be rather iterative when it should be wacky shit like tony hawk's downhill jam, and other tech demo-y stuff.

Who knows what Nintendo is going to do with their Health... Wearable...whatever shit. But I have to say with the wave that is coming, I hope their big idea is not another whiff :p

nintendo sounds like they're abandoning what they did with the wii and ds, seemingly not having understood what made those platforms such successes. miyamoto recently had made a comment stating as much. i think they just make two tradtional platforms with enough parity that if you buy one, you have access to most of the library of the other (so the handheld will be cheaper but the console will be more complete and have better performance per game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom