• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One beats PS4 on Black Friday, according to market-research firm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubt that Microsoft crushed it this weekend. I saw piles of PS4s and xbones were sold out everywhere.

I won't be getting (or want) a XBone but hey the price is great right now.

JABEE

It doesn't seem like these stats are really important or very indicative but I wouldn't put last year's stats from them next to November 2013 NPD. Both the Xbox One and PS4 sold a ton before Black Friday 2013 thanks to the console launch build-up.

Nevermind, misinterpreted.

That is a good point to think about for NPDs.

So if PS4 outsells the Xbox worldwide by what appear to be large margins it doesn't matter because the US accounts for 40%? It only matters if that 40% can make up for losing in the other 60% and it's not close to being the case.

So if PS4 outsells the Xbox worldwide by what appear to be large margins it doesn't matter because the US accounts for 40%? It only matters if that 40% can make up for losing in the other 60% and it's not close to being the case.

Wait what? How on earth are you coming to these conclusions??

My prediction

E3 2015

Xbox One Slim - 400$/500$ 1game and 1tb

Holiday 2015
Xbox One Slim Halo 5 edition 350$

I don't see them making a 1TB standard model anytime soon.

They will want to hang on to the 500GB modle for a lower price tag, and retailers don't like having to carry too many different SKUs, so I don't see 1TB standard model happening until they decide to drop the kinect bundles.

What they need to do with the slim is make it easy to change out the internal hardrive with ANY hardrive you want to put in it.
That way they can keep the lower pricetag, and allow people to put as large of a HD as they want in it.

shandy706

But this is the point. In what world (apparently Earth) is one piece of the market more important than the whole market? People neglect the entire world, and some people do not understand why. And I would have to agree and say that I also do not understand.

What if that market has the highest attach rate (games/purchases per console owner)? The highest # of subscription payers? Highest # of accessory purchases, etc?

Selling a system in itself does not equal overall success and profit.

Well, this research seems specious at best, but honestly, with the deals MS had going (I got an AC bundle for $329 + a brand new free game), it would be downright shocking if they didn't win the month.

JABEE

It would be insane if Sony won.
The price MS is willing to sell the X1 at is just craziness.

$170 discount from last year with two free games and a gift card. Nuts. This is basically bottoming out. Every store is at $329. I'm tempted to pick one up with Sunset Overdrive.

What if that market has the highest attach rate (games/purchases per console owner)? The highest # of subscription payers? Highest # of accessory purchases, etc?

Selling a system in itself does not equal overall success and profit.

Sounds like excuses for a brand that can't compete worldwide. Do we have numbers for those factors you mentined?

As it's been repeated numerous of times, I just don't see the price going back up to $399. Even if MS beats out Sony in November and December, why kill any momentum?

At most, it could very well force a Sony price drop if the trend continues.

The momentum is already going to shift with the lack of exciting software in Q1 2015. Sony's got Bloodborne, they'll see decent sales from that. But the XBox is going to be in a lull for a little while. Might as well raise the price back up, and sell consoles at $399 when the software starts trickling again in Spring.

You could get a 360 for $99 this year. At the rural-area Walmart I was at Thursday night, they were probably the fastest moving console. (customer perspective, for the record)

I'm not surprised the system is selling (heck I bought another one yesterday!!!!) but Wii U had Smash Bros... if that doesn't help them beat the freaking 360 on November O_O. I'm in shock.

God I love the 360 so much, what a great console.

I'm not surprised the system is selling (heck I bought another one yesterday!!!!) but Wii U had Smash Bros... if that doesn't help them beat the freaking 360 on November O_O. I'm in shock.

God I love the 360 so much, what a great console.

Note that this is only measuring Black Friday sales, not November sales. 360 had a killer Black Friday deal, WiiU had nothing (except a single Best Buy bundle that costed MORE than an XBox ONE). If WiiUs were sold in the leadup to Smash, it wouldn't have been on Friday.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I don't see them making a 1TB standard model anytime soon.

They will want to hang on to the 500GB modle for a lower price tag, and retailers don't like having to carry too many different SKUs, so I don't see 1TB standard model happening until they decide to drop the kinect bundles.

What they need to do with the slim is make it easy to change out the internal hardrive with ANY hardrive you want to put in it.
That way they can keep the lower pricetag, and allow people to put as large of a HD as they want in it.

Xbox One is already more convenient than PS4 to add extra space. Just buy any USB 3.0 HDD and you are good to go. Dont need to open the case and you can use the internal + external. Why would they need to change that?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Infoscout last Black Friday:

http://blog.infoscout.co/black-friday-console-war/

HVCOTbi.jpg

Methodology last Black Friday:

"Of over 102k shopping receipts tracked by InfoScout on Black Friday, slightly over 1,500 included purchases of a gaming console or console game. The data includes purchases at all major retailers carrying electronics including Walmart, Target, Best Buy, GameStop, RadioShack, and others. For more information related to our data and panel representation, visit our data page."

Lol...I remember this from last year. I knew this sounded familiar.

RBK

Banned
The momentum is already going to shift with the lack of exciting software in Q1 2015. Sony's got Bloodborne, they'll see decent sales from that. But the XBox is going to be in a lull for a little while. Might as well raise the price back up, and sell consoles at $399 when the software starts trickling again in Spring.
Don't really know how many people care for Bloodborne(I don't), but what carried PS4 sales for the first year?

You can call this another "PS has no games debate".

Note that this is only measuring Black Friday sales, not November sales. 360 had a killer Black Friday deal, WiiU had nothing (except a single Best Buy bundle that costed MORE than an XBox ONE). If WiiUs were sold in the leadup to Smash, it wouldn't have been on Friday.

I'm interested in seeing the current sales. Man is going to take forever to redownload all my games from one console to the next.

Popnbake

In all honesty, it seem like Nintendo didn't want to sell a boatload of Wii U's this year because IMO, Nintendo wasn't too aggressive with the Wii U bundles. I mean I know the Wii U bundles are a pretty good deal, but the average consumer will see that it costs more than a Xbox One and near the same cost of a PS4 and laugh hysterically. Imo, Nintendo should of dropped the price down considerably by now, especially with those aggressive bundle prices from the competition.

It was strange to see the lack of a Wii U Smash bundle but I guess as you said, they are just playing things safe.

Aces&Eights

Don't really know how many people care for Bloodborne(I don't), but what carried PS4 sales for the first year?

You can call this another "PS has no games debate".

Lot of people are pretty excited for Bloodborne, I think. Pretty much any Souls lover and anyone new it might appeal to.

Xbox One is already more convenient than PS4 to add extra space. Just buy any USB 3.0 HDD and you are good to go. Dont need to open the case and you can use the internal + external. Why would they need to change that?

The more options the better. Not everyone wants to hook up an external HD, and so for those who don't, rather than making a 1TB model, just allow them to switch out the HD like on the 360 slim (only without the proprietary crap).

And obviously if they want an external HD, the option is already there...

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
If they didn't win at almost $100 less then I'd say they were complete failures tbh

The king that never won a generation? Xbox is Viserys Targaryen CONFIRMED.
Hey, the Targaryens were at least kings at one point; so Viserys can at least point to his family's past glory. Xbox is more like House Rain. Perpetual second bests who get curbstomped in the end.

schaft0620

Of course it did, MS gained some serious ground and I almost bought one had my MS rep let me use his discount on the One. Sony is going to drop bombs in a week though, all will be forgotten.

Sony's consistently sold approximately a million a month from January till September.

17 million by year end should be pretty easy, because #primetime

hatchx

Banned
Didn't most of us expect Xbox one to win this holiday with halo and those disgusting price drops? It'd be sad if they didn't win TBH.

I really can't fathom how badly the wiiU is selling based on the anecdotal evidence. Smash and Bayo2, two of the highest reviewed games this year as exclusives...man my game tastes are so far and away from the norm.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Is this thread going to replace the Patcher prediction thread back in Sept?

Anyway I found that article more click-bait than anything else. Going by what their "findings" were last year - their word and/or data means nothing. Not comprehensive enough - regardless of actual "winners and losers"

cakely

I have to say, the only way I could make the giant Xbox One look a little less appealing would be to add yet another wire and box hanging from it.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't most of us expect Xbox one to win this holiday with halo and those disgusting price drops? It'd be sad if they didn't win TBH.

I really can't fathom how badly the wiiU is selling based on the anecdotal evidence. Smash and Bayo2, two of the highest reviewed games this year as exclusives...man my game tastes are so far and away from the norm.

Don't worry about it. Play what you like. It's all good.

Unless what you like to play sells really, really bad and you'll never see sequels to your favorite franchises. D:

Bgamer90

Banned
I have to say, the only way I could make the giant Xbox One look a little less appealing would be to add yet another wire and box hanging from it.

The 3 TB hard drive I have connected to it is behind my TV stand.

Overall, while I don't think the Xbox One is a very nice looking console I don't think it's hideous either. Pretty much looks like a typical, no-frills "connect to TV" box. Doesn't compare in size to my A/V receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom