• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Costs $90 More to Build Than PS4, Teardown Shows ($75 Kinect 2)

You don't think smartphones and tablets will be doing that shit already?

Uh you don't think the smartphone market has the same amount of competition as the console market do you?

I assure you if Apple or google thought they could be just as competitive with a paywall, they'd have one

Arkanius

It really is sad but Sony with Cerny leading the way is far more reminiscent of J Allard's Xbox than modern MS could ever hope for

Obviously I love Sony's current hardware/software approach but wish MS had a similar approach, at least prioritize the game machine first

We are getting a similar Xbox 360 and PS3 launch, except the players are reversed this time and the gap is wider

Truly crazy that by these figures MS basically took a 33% hit on GPU performance to only save a net $18 on RAM.

This is pretty much my thought as well. Lots of things went right for Sony tho, and good for them. We'll see where Sony takes us with their newly found momentum this gen.

Biker19

Banned
Microsoft is going for the what makes them the most money. Disguise your media box as a games console and bam. Products like the Chromecast, Roku, and Apple TV belong to a niche market. Microsoft initially went with games for the Xbox and 360 was the smoothest way to penetrate the market and steal thunder from Sony.

CE companies are gonna wind up stealing that "media box market" thunder from Microsoft very soon, especially for people that don't care about games at all.

DonMigs85

Would have been interesting if Xbone had more or less the exact same specs (18 functional CUs, 32 ROPs and GDDR5). It would have been a battle between services and exclusives rather than horsepower.

Would have been interesting if Xbone had more or less the exact same specs (18 functional CUs, 32 ROPs and GDDR5). It would have been a battle between services and exclusives rather than horsepower.

To be fair outside of the core most consumers will only care about exclusives, price and maybe services

I'm still curious what the mainstream think of these consoles

DonMigs85

Many people also forget that in addition to having 368 more shaders, the PS4 GPU also has 32 raster operation pipelines, double that of Xbone. Even if you factor in the Xbone GPU boost to 853MHz, PS4 still has nearly double the pixel fillrate.

Pretty much the only slight edge Xbone has is its 1.75GHz CPU clock, assuming PS4 is still at 1.6

To be fair outside of the core most consumers will only care about exclusives, price and maybe services

If I was a mainstream consumer I would see the knack demo vs forza and think the xbox had superior hardware, and would assume that is why the one costs more. Good thing I am not technically ignorant and uninformed.

PG2G

The massive irony is if MS had just used 8GB of GDDR5, the cost of the BOM would likely be the same. ESRAM made the APU expensive, and took away silicon budget they could have been used for performance.

The only thing you can say is hindsight is 20/20. Had they known the GDDR5 was going to be ready in time they probably would have used it.

sikkinixx

A controller is $15 to make but costs what, $60 to buy?

I know, I was also surprised when I found out Coke only spends a couple of pennies on the bottle of diet coke I paid $2 for.

I'm very surprised the xbone costs more to manufacture, even without Kinect. Sheesh.

better comparison is to bundle the price of the memory, esram is there to offset for cheaper memory. xb1 is $18 less but i dont think its really worth the savings.

xbox1
$110 APU + $60 RAM = $170

ps4
$100 APU + $88 RAM = $188

DDR3 prices are going up
GDDR5 prices are going down

So this will change within a year.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
Microsoft is going for the what makes them the most money. Disguise your media box as a games console and bam. Products like the Chromecast, Roku, and Apple TV belong to a niche market. Microsoft initially went with games for the Xbox and 360 was the smoothest way to penetrate the market and steal thunder from Sony.

People are going to shell out $500 for a media box with a paywall vs $99 Apple/Chromecast/Roku with no paywall?

It looks like while they were planning to steal everyone's thunder, they let theres get away.

Phades

What is GAF love ?
Baby don't Pwn me, don't Pwn me no more.

rox5.jpg

Above is Neoh and Guf down at the forum trying to have some fun and wondering which one is being addressed.

Not if it becomes water cooler talk that versions of games running on console x is better than console y. Which it -did- become for the 360 vs ps3 era. There were random dudes at gamestops telling people that "I heard that 360 games run better"

Wether they notice it or not, but nobody wants an inferior product.

Not if it becomes water cooler talk that versions of games running on console x is better than console y. Which it -did- become for the 360 vs ps3 era. There were random dudes at gamestops telling people that "I heard that 360 games run better"

Wether they notice it or not, but nobody wants an inferior product.

I certainly agree that if that talk is common than it will have an effect

My problem is that the gaming press have been downplaying the difference this gen while up laying the difference last at least in my opinion

But yes even casuals don't want to pay more for less albeit there are other factors to consider

HokieJoe

People are going to shell out $500 for a media box with a paywall vs $99 Apple/Chromecast/Roku with no paywall?

It looks like while they were planning to steal everyone's thunder, they let theres get away.

Different markets, but MS is obviously hoping to take some customers away from the aforementioned companies. And none of those companies offer a product with the media features that XB1 has. It's just down to personal preference.

Iacobellis

CE companies are gonna wind up stealing that "media box market" thunder from Microsoft very soon, especially for people that don't care about games at all.

Plainly, Microsoft dun goofed. It's a weak games console, while not as a versatile as a true media consumption device. The price is also out of reach for many, with PS4 being the better buy.

If J Allard had stayed at Microsoft and they instead built a true Xbox 360 successor, then the war against Sony would have been better fought.

HokieJoe

Plainly, Microsoft dun goofed. It's a weak games console, while not as a versatile as a true media consumption device. The price is also out of reach for many, with PS4 being the better buy.

If J Allard had stayed at Microsoft and they instead built a true Xbox 360 successor, then the war against Sony would have been better fought.

Not as versatile? How so?

I have a chromecast. It works, but I'd rather have a Xbone as the chromecast is annoying to use.

BigDug13

60$ for that DDR3?! That's insane, how are they paying more than what I pay at retail for that memory o_O

Isn't it extra fast DDR3 to try to compensate for them not going with GDDR5? It's probably not the same DDR3 as you bought for your desktop.

Piggus

Truly crazy that by these figures MS basically took a 33% hit on GPU performance to only save a net $18 on RAM.

They took the hit because from the very beginning they needed a lot of RAM for their OS that they knew would require a ton of memory. If they had known GDDR5 would be an option at 8 GBs, they would have used that instead but they were already locked into their architecture by the time that was an option. For them it wasn't worth the risk to use better memory since it was not guaranteed that 8 GBs would be affordable.

Sony got the 8 GBs of GDDR5 because they were always going to use GDDR5. So when they found that they could use 8 GBs instead of 4, they didn't have to change the architecture of their system.

It really comes down to a design philosophy. The PS4 was built for games. Plain and simple. That's why the older designs used 4 GBs of GDDR5 instead of 8, but that 4 GBs would have still been great for games due to the high bandwidth. Microsoft on the other hand built their system with multitasking and media services in mind even if it meant building a much less capable gaming system. It's been amusing that they chose this path yet still insist on downplaying and missinforming people about the hardware differences.

Ty4on

I wouldn't call that luck, more like better planning. I really don't get where the lucky narrative comes from because it doesn't seem that firmly based on reality. Sony's well connected in the semiconductor world, it wouldn't be all that shocking to know that they had a projection of GDDR5 prices and planned their console accordingly.

I realize this is an old post now, but we know the 8GB GDDR5 was quite a late decision as tons of developers were surprised when it was announced in February and the first demos of Killzone SF that were designed for just 4GB.

Still, a 4GB PS4 would have been much better than the 8GB One in games. The difference would most likely have been worse multitasking and possibly no game DVR.
I don't think so, just standard 2133MHz DDR3. 8GB of that is $60 in retail.
Check voltage. MS may need lower voltage RAM and what you looked at was probably 1.65V. Nearly all RAM can run at 2133Mhz with high enough voltage.

Iacobellis

I realize this is an old post now, but we know the 8GB GDDR5 was quite a late decision as tons of developers were surprised when it was announced in February and the first demos of Killzone SF that were designed for just 4GB.

Still, a 4GB PS4 would have been much better than the 8GB One in games. The difference would most likely have been worse multitasking and possibly no game DVR.

No recordings? That's mainly handled by a dedicated chip in the PS4. The Share button has always been on the controller, and GG even demoed a recoding of Killzone at the PlayStation Meeting.

Piggus

I don't think so, just standard 2133MHz DDR3. 8GB of that is $60 in retail.

Where are you seeing that? Most of the 2133 mhz DDR3 I'm seeing is around $100 or more. MS could also be using a different chip vendor than whoever makes that supposed $60 2133 mhz DDR3.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
its amazing how some people still cant accept the new xbox is weaker than the playstation god dam the salt

Top Bottom