• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Download Games |OT| News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm quite enjoying Pier Solar. The 2 graphic modes are so different looking from each other, it's like getting the Genesis and PS2 remakes for a game together in a single package. (I just wish I could press a button to switch graphics styles on the fly, like in Master Chief Collection)

And any game with the Lunar TSSSC style "it's 2+ player because we just let any connected controller work for the player!" method of Co-Op gets a bit of a plus in my book.

I've smiled at the writing a few times, much like I would similar things in Lunar or Lufia. Pretty well-natured comedy, no memes or overly-modern jokes in sight, characters have nice chemistry with each other... just a nice feeling game.

It's combat has been straightforward but worthy so far, and I like the little elements of polish (such as aerial enemies falling to the ground after killed, or how the attack numbers plainly hint to weaknesses and resistances).

And it sounds great too! Already humming themes due to clearly worked out melodies, and the difference between the FM and PCM soundtracks once again recalls classic remakes / TG16 ports in the best ways possible.

Even if the meshed pixels / HD handdrawn art is kinda weird, it's uniquely charming in practice. I love seeing some subtle lighting and shadows everywhere, and the actual art itself is quality, even if it recalls the kind of styles that have become popular in cellphone and tablet games in the modern world. I'm happy they took the time to redraw EVERYTHING, even the portraits and cinematic art.

Any impressions for Thomas Was Alone? I'm really enjoying Never Alone so far. I'd be happy to add another good puzzle game.

I'm not a fan of ridiculously simple looking games, so when I got it as a freebie on PS+, I admittedly had a bit of a chip on my shoulder regarding it. But playing it, I was pleasantly happy with the bits of narrated story telling, and the gameplay felt good for the most part, with the only off portions probably boiling down to personal preferences.

The game offered a few secrets to run through stages and pic up, the puzzles were decently paced, and the variety that came from new gameplay mechanics introduced with each character made it kind of nice to progress and see how things would be introduced, and then mixed and matched together.

dis survey
DF3TbDM.png

Doukou

Seeing Thomas was Alone and Never Alone in the same sentence gives me a chuckle.

Lol that Survey, have they done anything like that before?

3 more games coming out tomorrow:

Thomas Was Alone
Piers Solar HD
Pinball Arcade

http://news.xbox.com/2014/11/games-...is-week?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I was going to pick up Pinball Arcade and a few tables but that got delayed. :\

Pretty cool stat:

Chariot has been downloaded over 1 million times on Xbox One (it's been free with Gold since Oct1)

https://twitter.com/chariotgame/status/535546340433207297

I've played it a bit, I like the still but I rather just play Spelunky. Dragging the Chariot behind me doesn't add to my enjoyment.

dis survey
DF3TbDM.png

What survey is that?

I'm quite enjoying Pier Solar. The 2 graphic modes are so different looking from each other, it's like getting the Genesis and PS2 remakes for a game together in a single package. (I just wish I could press a button to switch graphics styles on the fly, like in Master Chief Collection)

And any game with the Lunar TSSSC style "it's 2+ player because we just let any connected controller work for the player!" method of Co-Op gets a bit of a plus in my book.

I've smiled at the writing a few times, much like I would similar things in Lunar or Lufia. Pretty well-natured comedy, no memes or overly-modern jokes in sight, characters have nice chemistry with each other... just a nice feeling game.

It's combat has been straightforward but worthy so far, and I like the little elements of polish (such as aerial enemies falling to the ground after killed, or how the attack numbers plainly hint to weaknesses and resistances).

And it sounds great too! Already humming themes due to clearly worked out melodies, and the difference between the FM and PCM soundtracks once again recalls classic remakes / TG16 ports in the best ways possible.

Even if the meshed pixels / HD handdrawn art is kinda weird, it's uniquely charming in practice. I love seeing some subtle lighting and shadows everywhere, and the actual art itself is quality, even if it recalls the kind of styles that have become popular in cellphone and tablet games in the modern world. I'm happy they took the time to redraw EVERYTHING, even the portraits and cinematic art.

Mind explain a bit how the coop works? Been not much info out there on what its like.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Mind explain a bit how the coop works? Been not much info out there on what its like.

It's very basic; It just allow other controllers (apparently up to 4) to input commands, alongside the first player. It's not like Final Fantasy 6 (where you had a secondary menu that allowed you to set battle characters to either controller), or Tales of Series (which require you to find an item to allow a second player to take manual control of a character), it's just a nice, easy feature out of the box, to have a friend or loved one taking over the decisions of a character. Or even in the field, they can mess around with your movements / move for you.

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and I think the first Wild Arms did this, and I always found it a fun little way to share the adventure with someone else, to call out which enemies you each plan to attack, or to get mad at them when they forget to heal you, etc..

It never ask for their profile however, so they won't get any achievements for it.

There MIGHT be some straight multiplayer in the bonus extras, but I haven't seen / gotten anything from there yet.

Hope that clears co-op up!

There was a game at a convention or something a few months ago where you have to use your body + kinect to make paths for the in game players to cross obstacles that looked pretty fun.

Anybody have any idea what I am thinking of? Or when it is coming out?

Oynox

Is there any place to track pricing of Xbox One Games, similar to xbldb.com for Xbox 360 games? I'd like to see the deals before they show up 24 hours later on xbox.com :D

After buying and download lots of games (Far Cry 4 today) I noticed I only have 40 gigs left on my drive. I'm not deleting anything so its time to buy an external drive. Any recommendations? Can I move my current games to an external drive without issue?

edit: ...Far Cry 4 won't start. Get some error message. WTF

Doffen

I bought the 4TB Samsung in August and am happy with my purchase.

Fwiw, that drive Doffen linked to is actually on sale at the Newegg eBay store ($10 cheaper with free shipping).

Daigoro

Pinball Arcade achievements blow. gonna need to buy the DLC to get 1000, unlike FX2. the first two are free looks like. they are going to milk the fuck out of this title.

hope the game plays well and doesn't have too many bugs, because the base game itself is great. its in the queue.

danowat

Banned
Awesome news on Pinball Arcade. Downloading now.

Whats the deal with the pricing?, base pack is free?, what do you get?, whats the deal with "seasons"?.

I am sure I read somewhere that the standard "pack" is $90 and the advanced one is $120, although I can't see any DLC on the store for it.

Boom Ball for Kinect is out Friday in NA, December 5th worldwide. Price is $10. Pretty cool Kinect game, hit detection has been good so far, no issues. Then again, I am playing in a spacious living room.

zorbsie

Whats the deal with the pricing?, base pack is free?, what do you get?, whats the deal with "seasons"?.

I am sure I read somewhere that the standard "pack" is $90 and the advanced one is $120, although I can't see any DLC on the store for it.

I only looked at one table to buy, Terminator 2. Table was $4.99 by itself. Or I could buy the table pack(season) it was in which had 10 tables in it. There is 2 seasons up and a new season coming soon. Seasons are $29.99 each. The game comes with Arabian Nights. There are only 2 achievements associated with the free table all the other ones have to do with the DLC tables.

Boom Ball for Kinect is out Friday in NA, December 5th worldwide. Price is $10. Pretty cool Kinect game, hit detection has been good so far, no issues. Then again, I am playing in a spacious living room.

This looks like fun, wish it came with a demo. I've got a smaller room and 360 Kinect games were hit and miss in my setup. $10 isn't a lot to find out, but I'd still be miffed if I found out my setup wasn't big enough.

danowat

Banned
I only looked at one table to buy, Terminator 2. Table was $4.99 by itself. Or I could buy the table pack(season) it was in which had 10 tables in it. There is 2 seasons up and a new season coming soon. Seasons are $29.99 each. The game comes with Arabian Nights. There are only 2 achievements associated with the free table all the other ones have to do with the DLC tables.

Hmmm, so you buy them in game and not from the xbox store then?, also, I assume that means MS have relaxed the rules regarding the base gamerscore being able to be achieved without having to buy DLC.

This looks like fun, wish it came with a demo. I've got a smaller room and 360 Kinect games were hit and miss in my setup. $10 isn't a lot to find out, but I'd still be miffed if I found out my setup wasn't big enough.

I just measure, and you are going to want around 5ft. of space for the Kinect to detect you well. I tried a bit closer and the hit detection starts getting a little iffy if not 5 ft. away

Alx

First time I've heard about that game. Seems good, but a bit slow (less frantic than the game in Kinect Adventures anyway).

zorbsie

Hmmm, so you buy them in game and not from the xbox store then?, also, I assume that means MS have relaxed the rules regarding the base gamerscore being able to be achieved without having to buy DLC.

That's what I was thinking too. Pretty sure Pinball FX2 had 1000 for the core game and 1 more for each new table. Here is the achievement list.

I just measure, and you are going to want around 5ft. of space for the Kinect to detect you well. I tried a bit closer and the hit detection starts getting a little iffy if not 5 ft. away

I should be OK. My kids will be all over this game. Silly question, is there any required jumping?

danowat

Banned
That's what I was thinking too. Pretty sure Pinball FX2 had 1000 for the core game and 1 more for each new table. Here is the achievement list.

Core Pack High Scores25 (25)
Top five on local leaderboards for first four tables: Tales, Theatre, Ripley's and Black Hole.

Almost alludes to the fact that there should be 4 tables in the "core pack", which I am assuming is the main, free download?

zorbsie

Core Pack High Scores25 (25)
Top five on local leaderboards for first four tables: Tales, Theatre, Ripley's and Black Hole.

Almost alludes to the fact that there should be 4 tables in the "core pack", which I am assuming is the main, free download?

I didn't notice that. When I went to the "My Tables" section it only listed 1 table. Let me check again now, maybe it didn't download all of them.

EDIT: OK looking at it now. Ripley's is $8.99! But includes Theatre of Magic and Black Hole. You can play it, and all tables, for free until you hit the first high score. The season one pass has 22 tables including these 3 for $29.99. Season 2 is the same price for 19 tables. Season 3, which I assume is new/newer tables is $29.99 for 10 tables. Not sure if they are adding to that.

eastx

Ouch, considering I picked up the retail version for xbox 360 with a ton of tables for less than a tenner.

Sure, but by the time the game drops down to that price at retail, the developer isn't making any more money from it. Also, the game is now in HD and will get new tables in the future and all that.

First time I've heard about that game. Seems good, but a bit slow (less frantic than the game in Kinect Adventures anyway).

Ya, it's a little less frantic, but there are multi-ball moments, and depending what the level is, things can get hectic.

I should be OK. My kids will be all over this game. Silly question, is there any required jumping?

No jumping that I've seen yet. You basically just shuffle to the right or left if you want to move the camera, and you just use your hands to aim and hit the ball.

I'm having more fun than I thought I would with a Kinect game :p

Top Bottom