• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - my digital games won't start

mcrommert

Banned
I really hope there is a good reason for this stuff...backend changes for some good stuff coming

Because otherwise we are having possibly the worst two weeks of live for a very long time for no reason

mcrommert

Banned
It's back up for me.

Yeah? I have it set up as my home console. I share gold with my son. Tried setting to offline, pulled the ethernet, turned the router off etc. Console was still refusing to start digital content and asking for discs.

I can guarantee that the account your bought those digital games on is not set to home on your console. If it isn't working try a full reset of the console after you put it in offline mode

drotahorror

My XB1 downloading an old update about 100KB/s. I've never been one to have issues with PS3, PS4, 360, or PC download speeds. But XB1, yeah, slowest pos I've ever owned for downloading.

Raptomex

Unless Xbox live is down or your having network issues try this;

- Change the Xhones power setting to energy saver
- Turn off auto sign in
- Power it off.
- Unplug the console for 10 seconds.
- Plug it back in and turn it on.
- Change your settings back if you wish.

For while it was taking forever to just sign in and then one day I couldn't launch my disk based games. The above steps resolved everything. I'm at work right now so I have no idea if there are issues with live or anything.

Colbert

Banned
Multiplayer doesn't work because network service is down? Shocking!
/s

As long you set your console into offline mode you can play all single player games. Saves will sync with the cloud later as soon the network is working again. Your console also should hold the latest save file on your hard disk unless you have deleted it before. If the offline mode doesn't work at once, set the console to offline and reboot (not hard reset). Btw setting the console into offline mode (via network settings) is not the same as changing your profile to offline!

thenameDS

Couldn't launch any games, but went into offline mode and that seemed to make it all work.

I wasn't affected by any of the previous live outages, but seems like I didn't escape this one. Hopefully they are doing some work to improve the situation and the servers.

Absolutely pathetic. And this is a huge Xbox fan speaking. I absolutely loved the 360 and I love several things about the Xbox One but it's crystal clear that MS does not have their priorities straight, not at all. Ok so Xbox Live is down.... a fucking gain, Waaaaaay too often lately. But ok there's that, so you'd think you can at least throw on some Netflix, WRONG! How about watching a Blu Ray then? Forget about that as well. Why the hell is everything tied to that damn XBL? The two things I just mentioned should simply work, whether the service is online or offline.

MS, what the hell happened these last 8 days or so? Why is this happening so often all of a sudden? Is it true that PC gamers are on XBL now too? Could it be that the service can't handle it?

Most of the time when these issues happen they are fixed quite soon but it's taking them quite a while now, sigh.

t hicks

Banned
"Sorry, we couldn't start YouTube. If you have a disk, insert it now"

damn i knew i should've bought youtube on physical media smh...

LoveCake

Live has been playing up quite a lot recently.

Something really needs to be sorted out with this, because it is seemingly getting worse, this "digital future" is a no-no it seems.

Colbert

Banned
Multiplayer doesn't work because network service is down? Shocking!
/s

As long you set your console into offline mode you can play all single player games. Saves will sync with the cloud later as soon the network is working again. Your console also should hold the latest save file on your hard disk unless you have deleted it before. If the offline mode doesn't work at once, set the console to offline and reboot (not hard reset). Btw setting the console into offline mode (via network settings) is not the same as changing your profile to offline!

As I described going offline via network settings works (at least for me). In online mode games didn't start and I got the message to try again later or to check the network settings. if you chose to check the network settings just use the "go offline" option. After doing this every game I tried started normally and even all my tiles were visible completely.

SRTtoZ

Did Microsoft cut the budget of Live or something? As soon as I buy an Xbox One the service starts being worse than PSN. This is so weird.

Xbox Live down again? Shocking news
736120395.png

The fucked up thing is, you just don't know if it's going to be a evening without issues. Sadly lately it has been happening a lot and it's just not reliable anymore. It used to be really reliable on 360 though. They may have listened to a lot of critique about the console and everything but Xbox Live has become bullshit.

What would be good if every single XBL gamer decides to just quit their subscription. That way MS would pretty much be forced to fix their shit. Unfortunately this is never going to happen.

It's still not working, absolutely sad. I'm gonna just quit and use Netflix on my TV instead.

FuturusX

If "Go offline" is the default advice for these issues. Live Support Status pretty much needs to have a link with these instructions.

LostDonkey

I can guarantee that the account your bought those digital games on is not set to home on your console. If it isn't working try a full reset of the console after you put it in offline mode

Well, no, you can't. Because it IS set to home.

Under settings and personalisation it says:

"This is your home xbox, so people can play
your downloaded games without having to sign in as you.

If you have gold, your whole household gets to enjoy gaming on the most advanced multiplayer network on this xbox."

So it is set to my home xbox.

flkraven

I have 2 consoles in my house and the one in my living room with most of my games on it isn't the home console. Going offline is not a solution for me.

Syriel

I have 2 consoles in my house and the one in my living room with most of my games on it isn't the home console. Going offline is not a solution for me.

You can't really complain about a roaming console not working with digital games when offline.

Digital allows you to do the game sharing thing when the network is up and running, but when it's not, you're still limited to playing on one system at a time, just like physical. And physical never allows for dual system play.

In your case, perhaps making the living room system the home console once XBL is back up would be the better long term solution?

t hicks

Banned
I kept H5 on in the background and I'm still able to play online (disc version). Everything else is down for me though.

Good god xbox live is such shit. Hadnt played since Star Wars beta until Rocket League came out. Since then I have encountered more errors than not when logging on.

This is quite troubling. I thought Microsoft would have taken care of this issue by now, and that apps and purchased games would still run if Xbox Live happened to not be available at any given moment, as long as you were using them on your "home" console.

Damn, would be great if you could just flip a switch and disable the "always online' requirement

should mention that the ps4 uses the same sort of license check requirement and its just as annoying .....if you try and start your game while the licensing server is down you get a great big padlock (digital games)

i really wish they did away with this altogether

I've had my xbox one for 6 days now. Go to play some Forza 6, which I paid $60 for digitally. It won't start. Console is basically useless.

EDIT: have not yet set up a gold sub. Is this supposed to make me want to?

icespide

Banned
should mention that the ps4 uses the same sort of license check requirement and its just as annoying .....if you try and start your game while the licensing server is down you get a great big padlock (digital games)

i really wish they did away with this altogether

if the licensing check wasn't there then anyone could just share all of their digital games with an unlimited number of people with no restrictions.

as long as your main console is set to primary/home then you can play offline. it's actually a rather reasonable restriction

unless in this case people aren't able to play offline with their home/primary console, if thats the case then that shit must be fixed asap

Yep, I initially wanted to just go full digital on my XB1 early on but shit like this made me change my stance...

Now, unless I don't have a choice, I buy all my games physically...

if the licensing check wasn't there then anyone could just share all of their digital games with an unlimited number of people with no restrictions.

as long as your main console is set to primary/home then you can play offline. it's actually a rather reasonable restriction

unless in this case people aren't able to play offline with their home/primary console, if thats the case then that shit must be fixed asap

would be better if there was some sort of battlekey authentication or some crap as everyone has mobile phones these days

Top Bottom