• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - my digital games won't start

LostDonkey

So is this just spotty? cuz 2 hours ago I couldn't launch a game but now I'm watching Netflix for the past 30 min

I couldn't launch anything. Then my pins came back and I could launch a digital game but then before I even got started it minimised and asked for the disc. Tried the offline tip originally, didn't work, rebooted, connected to live, then it went down again, pins disappeared. Went offline and now can launch digital, signed back in and got pins back but no online functionality for games like The Crew etc.

Seems to be in and out.

Shahed

If Sony has changed that for PS4, kudos to them. On PS3 if PSN is down, I can't connect to any of those apps. They all demand a PSN login on launch.

That makes no sense. Not that I don't believe you but one of my annoyances about the PS4 was how integrated it was with PSN compared to PS3. Whenever there was a PSN issue I could never check messages, trophies or whatever on PS4 but PS3 I could check the local version perfectly fine. I remember getting especially annoyed because when PSN went down when I was playing FFXIV I could not boot the game since I didn't have a PSN connection. Yet I could put the PS3 on and launch and play FFXIV fron there no problems. For some reason the PS4 wanter a PSN sign in when I was playing a game that didn't use PSN when PS3 was perfectly fine without it. Was annoying because the PS3 version of the game is awful. It feels like a generational shift between both versions more than any cross gen game I've seen.

I don't understand why any company would require authentication via their servers when you are accessing another unrelated service. Seems quite stupid and unnecessarily restricting.

Mikey Jr.

a few people on reddit, like a good bunch, all were saying 9 days in a row with issues

I would create the thread, but I have no interest in an XB1, so I don't want to be seen as trolling or console war whatever.

But yeah, I frequent XB1 reddit a lot for game news and shit like that, and almost every day I see "Xbox Service Alert" or whatever. Today it seemed like people have finally gotten fed up with it. Largest amount of comments I've seen for that type of announcement in a while.

But yeah, the worst part is MS is not even crediting their users with a few free days or whatever. At least when PSN went down for hours, everyone got an extra day.

Bishop89

This happened to me on the PS4 a few weeks back when my internet was having problems.

Couldn't load any games which I BOUGHT. Was ridiculous to say the least

I would create the thread, but I have no interest in an XB1, so I don't want to be seen as trolling or console war whatever.

But yeah, I frequent XB1 reddit a lot for game news and shit like that, and almost every day I see "Xbox Service Alert" or whatever. Today it seemed like people have finally gotten fed up with it. Largest amount of comments I've seen for that type of announcement in a while.

But yeah, the worst part is MS is not even crediting their users with a few free days or whatever. At least when PSN went down for hours, everyone got an extra day.

The thing is, people ask this every day. Lots of peoples first reaction to something not working is accuse the service, not their network (ie, their internet). I see people mention all sorts every day and it's almost always on their end.

Today is different with many complaints because it is an actual issue. However, xbox live isn't down, and it hasn't actually been "down" for a while. It has issues, hiccups, various things working while others don't, but I don't recall the last time the network was actually down and out.

MrBlonde

Well this is frustrating, just sat down to play some PVZ2 and nothing is working. This has been going on for over 4hrs??

Mikey Jr.

The thing is, people ask this every day. Lots of peoples first reaction to something not working is accuse the service, not their network (ie, their internet). I see people mention all sorts every day and it's almost always on their end.

Today is different with many complaints because it is an actual issue. However, xbox live isn't down, and it hasn't actually been "down" for a while. It has issues, hiccups, various things working while others don't, but I don't recall the last time the network was actually down and out.

Live seems to be broken down into 5 main parts according to their status page.

You are right, it is rare for all 5 parts to go down at once.

But 100% it has been often that either "Social and Gaming" or "Xbox Live Core Services" has gone down. And guess whats down right now? Core services.

What does core services affect? Signing in and playing multiplayer games. Social and gaming? Matchmaking, firends, etc.

How is this even a thing. XBL goes down and games become unplayable. That's unheard of. People here tend to have the wherewithal to figure these things out but what about the average Joe who just pressed play and sees error messages. Makes me want steer even clearer of da xbone.

Velikost

No idea about digital games, but my console booted to a black screen twice. I was able to use Kinect to go to my games and apps, and then the dashboard loaded after a bit, but I thought my console was bricked or something for awhile there.

My friend said he experienced the same thing. wtf is going on with Xbox lately?

BTM

No idea about digital games, but my console booted to a black screen twice. I was able to use Kinect to go to my games and apps, and then the dashboard loaded after a bit, but I thought my console was bricked or something for awhile there.

My friend said he experienced the same thing. wtf is going on with Xbox lately?

Just turned mine on and it's just a black screen...this is going swell lol

How is this even a thing. XBL goes down and games become unplayable. That's unheard of. People here tend to have the wherewithal to figure these things out but what about the average Joe who just pressed play and sees error messages. Makes me want steer even clearer of da xbone.

Stirring the pot again, I see.

Cool it, dude. Your concern trolling is getting more obvious by the day.

RdN

This has been in the making for more than a week.

Every single day has been a different outage. Now, it goes down entirely.

And, of course, Microsoft will brush it off, not even talk about it.

Pathetic.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member

Pathetic.

What would you want them to say? They are aware. They can't give you a time it will be back up cause if it is not up by x time, people will be all angry.

You can go to Xbox Support live chat and sweet talk them into resetting your limit.

You don't need to sweet talk them. They will reset it for you without question. All you have to do is ask.

tuna_love

Banned
are you an average joe?

Pathetic.

They've been talking about it on Twitter, xbox.com/status tells you what services are down and it even tells you what isn't working on the console itself. It sucks that it's down but what do you realistically expect from them? Detailed technical explanations of what exactly is wrong with their servers every time something fucks up?

RdN

What would you want them to say? They are aware. They can't give you a time it will be back up cause if it is not up by x time, people will be all angry.

I want them to acknowledge that their network is having problems for 8 straight days, detail for how long this is expected to go on, and introduce some sort of compensation, even if it's just an extension of the service, like Sony recently did after a PSN outage.

They've been talking about it on Twitter, xbox.com/status tells you what services are down and it even tells you what isn't working on the console itself. It sucks that it's down but what do you realistically expect from them? Detailed technical explanations of what exactly is wrong with their servers every time something fucks up?

Again, this isn't an isolated event.

Xbox Live has been having outages for the last 8 straight days. Today, it went fully down.

This is not acceptable, and a simple status page regarding it as business as usual is not enough.

statham

besides today its been pretty reliable besides EA games. lets wait and see what they do. or go ahead and make judgement through reading reddit posts.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
I want them to acknowledge that their network is having problems for 8 straight days, detail for how long this is expected to go on, and introduce some sort of compensation, even if it's just an extension of the service, like Sony recently did after a PSN outage.

8 straight days? I have been playing fine all week besides today. I don't know about that part, but not everyone's experience is 1:1 so okay.

You want them to give you detail for how long this is going on? You think they just sit there and are like, "This is a problem we can fix in an hour, easy peasy." They already are aware of the issue, but they can't just give you a time when it will be fixed. Some things take longer than expected. If they were to say that it would be fixed by X time approximately and do not meet that time. People are just going to complain even more and call them liars when it was just an approx.

Yea, it sucks that the service is down and having issues, but there is not much we can do about it. I am pretty sure they are not happy about this situation either.

GHG

Gold Member
Guys chill.

It's just the 100+ million Windows 10 users joining the family and getting to leech off Xbox live for free.

This is good for all of us, please understand.

TURBO1112

8 straight days of issues? Not for me. A minor hiccup or 2 with parties over the last week or so but thats it. And Im online probably more then most here.

Xav

I don't understand. Why do my games stop working if Xbox Live is down?

Is Don Mattrick back at Microsoft or something?

I'm perfectly fine with Xbox Live being down sometimes. Cutting access to the stuff I paid for is unacceptable.

statham

8 straight days? I have been playing fine all week besides today. I don't know about that part, but not everyone's experience is 1:1 so okay.

You want them to give you detail for how long this is going on? You think they just sit there and are like, "This is a problem we can fix in an hour, easy peasy." They already are aware of the issue, but they can't just give you a time when it will be fixed. Some things take longer than expected. If they were to say that it would be fixed by X time approximately and do not meet that time. People are just going to complain even more and call them liars when it was just an approx.

Yea, it sucks that the service is down and having issues, but there is not much we can do about it. I am pretty sure they are not happy about this situation either.

Yelp, I;ve played EA Access PvsZ every day this week with no issues besides today. yo check my live history, bro.

statham

I'm perfectly fine with Xbox Live being down sometimes. Cutting access to the stuff I paid for is unacceptable.

its never been this bad. and it sucks. ekim said he heard its ddos attacks.

etta

my hard graphic balls

Because the console tries to connect to internet instead of accepting defeat.

The all in one games and entertainment system*.

* Games and entertainment only available when online!

MrBlonde

This is so frustrating, I only have an hour or two a night to game and I was excited to put my last couple ea access hours in plants vs zombies tonight before the release tomorrow. Looks like I'll be catching up on a coupe things on my dvr tonight, sucks and this better be fixed by tomorrow!!

Guys chill.

It's just the 100+ million Windows 10 users joining the family and getting to leech off Xbox live for free.

This is good for all of us, please understand.

Is this serious? Why do they even get it for free?

I went to check the status page on Reddit, definitely expecting things to be back to normal.... but actually another service has been affected along with the two other ones. What in the world is going on? The way this shit is going I probably won't even be able to play my new games FC Primal and Pvz2 in the morning.

ps3ud0

That makes no sense. Not that I don't believe you but one of my annoyances about the PS4 was how integrated it was with PSN compared to PS3. Whenever there was a PSN issue I could never check messages, trophies or whatever on PS4 but PS3 I could check the local version perfectly fine. I remember getting especially annoyed because when PSN went down when I was playing FFXIV I could not boot the game since I didn't have a PSN connection. Yet I could put the PS3 on and launch and play FFXIV fron there no problems. For some reason the PS4 wanter a PSN sign in when I was playing a game that didn't use PSN when PS3 was perfectly fine without it. Was annoying because the PS3 version of the game is awful. It feels like a generational shift between both versions more than any cross gen game I've seen.

I don't understand why any company would require authentication via their servers when you are accessing another unrelated service. Seems quite stupid and unnecessarily restricting.
I really dont understand this neither, especially with things like catch up apps like 4OD in the UK - you need to login to access it, but soon as you do you can logout and it works fine, so why the need to authenticate in the first place - especially when iPlayer doesnt...

ps3ud0 8)

W.S.

Just found out you can only switch out your home box 3 times a year. Knew there was a limit, just wasnt sure what it was.
Same here, it sucks.

You don't need to sweet talk them. They will reset it for you without question. All you have to do is ask.
Really? I thought they were strict on this type of thing.

But yeah this console really needs to have more accessibility in an offline state. It's super dumb to have game saves be all cloud as well as games being inaccessible without XBL, it may be convenient in some ways but in a situation like this the system is pretty much crippled.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Same here, it sucks.

Really? I thought they were strict on this type of thing.

No, they will reset it if you ask. They did this for a few of my friends and myself without question.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is quite troubling. I thought Microsoft would have taken care of this issue by now, and that apps and purchased games would still run if Xbox Live happened to not be available at any given moment, as long as you were using them on your "home" console.

Now imagine Windows Store PC games (and how this would go over with PC gamers). I assume they work the same since there is a wrapper?

ValeYard

This only affects game sharing peeps for the most part. Which I am, so this sucks.

This is incorrect. Many people's home console isn't launching games. However, if you put your home console in offline mode, it might work for some games (?).

They must have a crazy gremlin outbreak in their servers because some of their most basic and essential functions such as app launches aren't working. The Bone becomes as useless as a managerial Mattrick hair flick apparently without servers, and it's not as aesthetically appealing.

Top Bottom