• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - my digital games won't start

etta

my hard graphic balls
That error appeared the 3rd or 4th time I was booted from the rocket league menu screen. Hitting close actually opened the Microsoft Beta signup app. It was a marvel of user experience design so much that I had to take a photo.
Oh, then this was broken recently because it's not normal. What is normal is for games to be playable in offline mode, regardless of how backwards the system is.

U2NUMB

Glad I am too tired to play PvsZ2 or Far Cry but man would I be upset if I was planning on it.. should have gone live in 5 min... Very frustrating day in Xbox land. Twitter is a disaster right now for them...

MS just having a bad month with XBL, no need to have a meltdown.

Things happens, what can one do but wait and have a little patience that's all.

How can you even say this? Love my xbox, but Live was terrible lately and there is no excuse for it, not for a company like Microsoft. When live goes down, like just did. the console is useless, nothing works.

ironcreed

Banned
I can sign in, but I cannot launch my games. I then went offline and still could not launch any. Such bullshit and completely ass backwards from the way things used to work.

Klocker

Well so much for playing far cry primal tonight that I just bought due to not activating the game online first time

Not having a meltdown, just complaining about a poorly made product running into inevitable network issues. Network issues will happen, but the Xbox one handles them in an incoherent, perplexing way.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Well so much for playing far cry primal tonight that I just bought due to not activating the game online first time
I would be really upset if this happened to me. I almost bought it digitally, too, so I could play it tonight. I'd be livid.

netflix-ps3-disk.png

That was such a brilliant loophole on Neflix's part. I still have my PS3 disk for whatever reason. And considering they were free, I also got one for Wii, despite never owning one. At the time, I was still considering getting one, though.

U2NUMB

Well I was able to get World of Tanks to work even after getting the error.. it pushed through so playing some of that.

etta

my hard graphic balls
To me this is less about XBL being down and more about the fact it has exposed how the console becomes a brick without it.
If that were true then it would have been exposed long ago. This issue about games not launching doesn't seem universal.

ironcreed

Banned
If that were true then it would have been exposed long ago. This issue about games not launching doesn't seem universal.

It should not be a problem at all. This is such a fucked up way to go about things that you would think it was designed by The Three Stooges.

2SeeKU

Australia here. I was unable to watch youtube/netflix before work this morning, kept asking me to insert the disc.Worked fine last night too.

Hope they get it resolved soon!

etta

my hard graphic balls
It should not be a problem at all. This is such a fucked up way to go about things that you would think it was designed by The Three Stooges.
And I'm not arguing that, just that the console doesn't universally become a brick without online. If that were the case, there would have already been outrage significantly higher than the pre-release one.

ironcreed

Banned
And I'm not arguing that, just that the console doesn't universally become a brick without online. If that were the case, there would have already been outrage significantly higher than the pre-release one.

Just for many of us, which makes it a problem all the same. It should not even be an issue for people who bought the system and bought the content to play on it. It's a fucking joke... end of story. And whoever designed it this way needs to schedule a cat scan, pronto.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Just for many of us, which makes it a problem all the same. It should not even be an issue for people who bought the system and bought the content to play on it. It's a fucking joke... end of story. And whoever designed it this way needs to schedule a cat scan, pronto.
Wait, what? The people who are having the same issue as Albatros are the majority? That's news to me.

ironcreed

Banned
Wait, what? The people who are having the same issue as Albatros are the majority? That's news to me.

I don't know how many it is and I did not specify. I just said many of us. My point is that it IS a problem that should not be there for anyone. But it is, designing the system this way is clusterfuck city and it sure does suck for those of us affected.

eksy

Banned
Imagine if these issues persist when The Division comes out.

Its indefensible, and people have a right to complain. Not sit quietly hoping it will resolve itself. All digital future -- this is a sneak peek of what it looks like.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I don't know how many it is and I did not specify. I just said many of us. My point is that it IS a problem that should not be there for anyone. But it is, designing the system this way is clusterfuck city and it sure does suck for those of us affected.
Sure, I don't disagree, and I add that this is a new issue, it wasn't "designed" like this. Up until now, I've never seen this issue because people could play their stuff by going offline.
This probably happened just now with the February update, because there was that brief time during Christmas with Live down but things still worked when going offline.
The "having to manually go offline for games to work" was designed, and I've already said it's idiotic.

mjp2417

Banned
On my end Halo 5 is working (but there is some wonkiness with Req stuff), Destiny boots but doesn't know I own Taken King, Gears works, but Forza doesn't. Media stuff is working, but pins are fucked. Weird outage

ironcreed

Banned
Sure, I don't disagree, and I add that this is a new issue, it wasn't "designed" like this. Up until now, I've never seen this issue because people could play their stuff by going offline.
This probably happened just now with the February update, because there was that brief time during Christmas with Live down but things still worked when going offline.
The "having to manually go offline for games to work" was designed, and I've already said it's idiotic.

Good, then we agree. It is beyond idiotic.

If they were smart they'd pool half their resources into fixing the problem and the other half into figuring out how to get offline mode working correctly so this doesn't happen again. Like, Xbox 360 kind of working correctly.

If they can work magic like getting their prior console to run in a virtual machine on their new console, they should be able to figure this out.

DJ_Lae

Damn it, we used up our Garden Warfare 2 trial the other day and now I can't even start it (yet I'm being tormented by seeing one of my friends playing it).

mike4001_

Isn´t the problem that the console is basically capable to start everything offline.

But this time we are still connected (this works), so Xbox online checks every license and there was the problem that it got a "wrong" license returned and therefore it blocked our games?

Occam

So now you know what's going to happen when the Xbox One servers are shut down after the end of life of the console.

Isn´t the problem that the console is basically capable to start everything offline.

But this time we are still connected (this works), so Xbox online checks every license and there was the problem that it got a "wrong" license returned and therefore it blocked our games?

Offline-offline works, this weird half-online seems to be fucking stuff up.

Colbert

Banned
For all with the issue "offline" mode doesn't work for them with games:

if the console is not set as home console, "offline" doesn't work

setting the console to home console while the outage is ongoing doesn't work either because the setting needs to be checked by the servers (security check - only one home console allowed)

games that are multiplayer or have some sort of always online implementation (Destiny, Powerstar Golf) don't work because the service is down that support those features.

Strictly offline single player games (that need no online resources at all) work fine in "offline mode": I personally tried and can confirm those games are working: BF4 SP campaign, Halo5 SP Campaign, GTA V SP, DA:I, Dishonored DE, ROTTR, Both Wolfenstein games
(I am all digital!)

Edit:
Just tried to start a bunch of other games: Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel work (you will be asked if you want to play offline when the game starts), Fallout 4 works too, Ori And The Blind Forest works, Witcher 3 works

Edit2:
Apps: Netflix doesn't work with offline, Amazon Instant Video doesn't work, BluRay does work!

Orca

I just logged in and played Destiny for a couple hours, then shut it down and see this thread. Now I'm wondering if I could get back on...

Top Bottom