• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One - my digital games won't start

TURBO1112

No, they will reset it if you ask. They did this for a few of my friends and myself without question.

Yep. Just talked to support and they reset it. Just told them I couldnt play my game and that I was hitting some kind of limit. They said they reset it.

New problem. Went to make this console my home box and it has been spinning for 5 minutes. Dont think its going to take

Zedox

Nah, anyone with games downloaded digitally is affected. Only by going offline can you play them. Netflix however won't work. God knows why.

Netflix is spotty, I'm using it. This issue is problem spotty all around. Meaning its not effecting everyone but affecting enough.

Warablo

Not so sure. This is my home console, I share no games, and it's borked for me.

You should be able to play them offline at least.. If you have a physical copy, you can play that online. At least I was able to with R6.

My Youtube works, but I know its not working for my friend. So this is odd.

Bishop89

That makes no sense. Not that I don't believe you but one of my annoyances about the PS4 was how integrated it was with PSN compared to PS3. Whenever there was a PSN issue I could never check messages, trophies or whatever on PS4 but PS3 I could check the local version perfectly fine. I remember getting especially annoyed because when PSN went down when I was playing FFXIV I could not boot the game since I didn't have a PSN connection. Yet I could put the PS3 on and launch and play FFXIV fron there no problems. For some reason the PS4 wanter a PSN sign in when I was playing a game that didn't use PSN when PS3 was perfectly fine without it. Was annoying because the PS3 version of the game is awful. It feels like a generational shift between both versions more than any cross gen game I've seen.

I don't understand why any company would require authentication via their servers when you are accessing another unrelated service. Seems quite stupid and unnecessarily restricting.
Yeh I fucking hate how you can't check trophies offline. That's a joke

I just saw this posted on Reddit, it sure is serious this time. MS got hit hard.

I called because I rented a movie yesterday for $5, I can't finish it today, and I wanted a refund. Guy I spoke with on the phone said some big updates are about to drop and they can't customer service can't even access financials right meow.

Dominator

It is the same.

An Xbox One home console (aka primary) that is offline will always be able to play any purchased digital games. This is also true of any Xbox 360 console.

The only Xbox One consoles that cannot play purchased digital games offline are those that are not set as home.
I'd just like to comment and say that my Xbox One is set to home, I've had it since launch and have never signed in or done anything with another console.

It wouldn't let me play my digital content.

Syriel

I want them to acknowledge that their network is having problems for 8 straight days, detail for how long this is expected to go on, and introduce some sort of compensation, even if it's just an extension of the service, like Sony recently did after a PSN outage.

Again, this isn't an isolated event.

Xbox Live has been having outages for the last 8 straight days. Today, it went fully down.

This is not acceptable, and a simple status page regarding it as business as usual is not enough.

I haven't seen any issues at all over the past week with the exception of today. And that's been limited to a game or two failing to launch (rectified by re-launching) and pins not appearing. Also pins to unreleased content (which normally would lead to a store page) currently lead to nowhere.

Same here, it sucks.

Really? I thought they were strict on this type of thing.

But yeah this console really needs to have more accessibility in an offline state. It's super dumb to have game saves be all cloud as well as games being inaccessible without XBL, it may be convenient in some ways but in a situation like this the system is pretty much crippled.

1) Game saves are stored locally as well as in the cloud. If you play offline, they sync to the cloud when you go back online.
2) All purchased games are accessible on your home console when offline. XBL is not needed.

Nah, anyone with games downloaded digitally is affected. Only by going offline can you play them. Netflix however won't work. God knows why.

Going offline is a simple solution. You go offline, you can play.

Just checked Netflix here. It fires up w/o issue.

I'd just like to comment and say that my Xbox One is set to home, I've had it since launch and have never signed in or done anything with another console.

It wouldn't let me play my digital content.

If it is indeed your home console and you purchased all the games with that same account, then go offline. Either unplug the Ethernet cable or go into the network menu and go offline.

Zedox

I just saw this posted on Reddit, it sure is serious this time. MS got hit hard.

I called because I rented a movie yesterday for $5, I can't finish it today, and I wanted a refund. Guy I spoke with on the phone said some big updates are about to drop and they can't customer service can't even access financials right meow.

That makes it seem that someone hit that update button too early. This prolly should have went with a maintenance and moved services over to other services with some green blue deployments. But that's the outside looking in dev in me talking.

Welp, time to throw my xbox through the window. Xbox n Live is straight up garbage, actually I'd prefer playing with real garbage. Maybe I can dig up the crumbs from yesterdays dinner, oh what an fun adventure it's going to be!!

bad joke, hopefully they restore it soon. Heard they have been getting DDOS'ed to death recently

etta

my hard graphic balls

They were uploading the patch for background music directly to the servers when the engineer's butt cheeks accidentally hit the Major Nelson switch and flipped it back to pre-launch mode.

Rembrandt

Banned
How is this even a thing. XBL goes down and games become unplayable. That's unheard of. People here tend to have the wherewithal to figure these things out but what about the average Joe who just pressed play and sees error messages. Makes me want steer even clearer of da xbone.

would probably google it or disconnect from the internet and try playing?

Xbox Live has been having outages for the last 8 straight days. Today, it went fully down.

This is not acceptable, and a simple status page regarding it as business as usual is not enough.

I've been having no problem except for today and I've been online consistently for hours since Rocket League's launch at all different times of the day/night with no issues.

The all in one games and entertainment system*.

* Games and entertainment only available when online!

*ignores all posts telling people to go offline to play their games to continue trolling.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
This is one of many reasons physical copies are the better option for the foreseeable future. Is this usually the case with Xbox One digital downloads that you can't play games downloaded even if Xbox Live is down?

Only digital Xbox One game I have is Ori and if that was a physical release I would have bought it physical.

Syriel

This is one of many reasons physical copies are the better option for the foreseeable future. Is this usually the case with Xbox One digital downloads that you can't play games downloaded even if Xbox Live is down?

Only digital Xbox One game I have is Ori and if that was a physical release I would have bought it physical.

If you are offline, you can always play your Xbox One digital downloads on your home console.

I haven't seen any issues at all over the past week with the exception of today. And that's been limited to a game or two failing to launch (rectified by re-launching) and pins not appearing. Also pins to unreleased content (which normally would lead to a store page) currently lead to nowhere.

1) Game saves are stored locally as well as in the cloud. If you play offline, they sync to the cloud when you go back online.
2) All purchased games are accessible on your home console when offline. XBL is not needed.

Going offline is a simple solution. You go offline, you can play.

Just checked Netflix here. It fires up w/o issue.

If it is indeed your home console and you purchased all the games with that same account, then go offline. Either unplug the Ethernet cable or go into the network menu and go offline.

Do digital games work again as well? I don't think FC Primal is unlocked yet for me, so I'll just wait until morning from now.

Error message:

"Sorry, we can't start HBO Go for some reason."

That has to be the greatest error message I have ever seen. Although, Windows 10 error message: " Something happened" is pretty good too. Microsoft sure know how to write error messages....

Syriel

Do digital games work again as well? I don't think FC Primal is unlocked yet for me, so I'll just wait until morning from now.

I've had no problem starting games with the exception of Battlefront. First time I tried it earlier I got the "Took too long to start" error. Second time it fired up w/o issue.

watership

Not so sure. This is my home console, I share no games, and it's borked for me.

Are you trying to launch games from the games and apps screen or pins? I can't launch from pins. Multiplayer games like Rocket League freeze because that's what down, but I am playing The Witcher 3 right now, no problem. Digital purchase version.

D

Doge

Unconfirmed Member
Error message:

"Sorry, we can't start HBO Go for some reason."

That has to be the greatest error message I have ever seen. Although, Windows 10 error message: " Something happened" is pretty good too. Microsoft sure know how to write error messages....

Their error messages are consumer friendly. No point in getting technical with it if most people would be like, "Tell me in English please."

My xbox live hasn't gone down, I lost my friends list the day before yesterday, but I'm still up and running, just finished Assassin's Creed: Russia and got the achievements, which don't pop if you're offline.

Sucks though for the people having problems.

You mean your digital rentals that are allocated to you for an unspecified amount of time? Yes, someday you'll be boned.

I can actually see that being true, but honestly that should never be possible. People do buy it at full price, it should 100% be theirs forever.

Xyrmellon

Are you trying to launch games from the games and apps screen or pins? I can't launch from pins. Multiplayer games like Rocket League freeze because that's what down, but I am playing The Witcher 3 right now, no problem. Digital purchase version.

What pins? All mine are gone. I was able to play South Park digitally, I'm guessing because it's on the 360 server.

Syriel

What pins? All mine are gone. I was able to play South Park digitally, I'm guessing because it's on the 360 server.

The XBO license for the BC games are all on the same system. BC games are XBO titles as far as the console is concerned.

I am sure Undertow will be made Back Compat and free ASAP..

tumblr_m9pcrcGdLl1qih9gi.gif

You mean your digital rentals that are allocated to you for an unspecified amount of time? Yes, someday you'll be boned.
Haha sure, I'd like to see one of these companies try and pull something like that off. Lawsuits and consumer backlash not to mention trying to convince people to keep buying your digital games (in the inevitable all digital future) even though the stuff you bought five years ago won't work.

The day digital libraries stop working or "expire" is the day I stop playing video games.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Haha sure, I'd like to see one of these companies try and pull something like that off. Lawsuits and consumer backlash not to mention trying to convince people to keep buying your digital games (in the inevitable all digital future) even though the stuff you bought five years ago won't work.

The day digital libraries stop working or "expire" is the day I stop playing video games.

Individual games stops working all the time, and people just have to deal with it.

Individual games stops working all the time, and people just have to deal with it.

Maybe they're not offered on a particular store for purchase anymore, but I don't think I've ever acquired a digital game that has just stopped working once I already have it.

Yep, Xbox Live is completely fucked and its causing every digital game to not load. Every game I own is digital. It's insane.

This is the first time I've ever felt worried for the digital future, which I'm normally a strong advocate for.

I could go offline but i was going to play rocket league or Madden, both of which basically require online.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yep, Xbox Live is completely fucked and its causing every digital game to not load. Every game I own is digital. It's insane.

This is the first time I've ever felt worried for the digital future, which I'm normally a strong advocate for.

Would you like to know why that happens?
Or would you like to continue not knowing?

Klocker

I can play my digital games if I go offline but gonna be pissed if Far Cry doesn't unlock in 90 minutes,... not looking good

Would you like to know why that happens?
Or would you like to continue not knowing?

Just to help your strange disorder where you get defensive about somebody suffering from technical issues with game console, please, enlighten me... Maybe you sharing hot air will fix our connections and make videogames work?

watership

Can't play online games, obviously, nor stream online media. What annoys me is Plex. I'm streaming from my local network but plex needs to authenticate via Xbox live? That's dumb. Plex should just ignore online status and play local network servers fine.

Zach

Oh, hey. Is this why Netflix, etc. are crapping out when I try to browse my libraries?

Welp. Good to know it's not just me, I guess.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Just to help your strange disorder where you get defensive about somebody suffering from technical issues with game console, please, enlighten me... Maybe you sharing hot air will fix our connections and make videogames work?

Your digital games don't work when Xbox Live is down because of either:
1) Your console is not set as the home console
2) Your console is set as the home console, but the it keeps trying to connect online ignoring the fact that it can't.
If your issue is the second, then set the console to offline mode and you can play your digital games!

JaggedSac

Can't play online games, obviously, nor stream online media. What annoys me is Plex. I'm streaming from my local network but plex needs to authenticate via Xbox live? That's dumb. Plex should just ignore online status and play local network servers fine.

Agreed

Top Bottom