• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S has additional CPU/GPU power, games can look and run better

EvB

I thought they removed the Kinect port? Wait, is that just a USB port? Can you connect the Kinect (heh) via USB?

Does the PC version of the Kinect use USB? That would make sense.

Yes, the Kinect port is just a USB data port with some extra pins to provide the additional power that USB cannot do.

The 360s had a Kinect socket also (which lots of people forget)

When you used Kinect with an old machine or with a PC, you had a Y cable that split the Kinect plug into regular USB and an external PSU

So is there any factual data here or just wild speculation?

The article I linked in the OP has information straight from a first-party Microsoft studio head. That is true and factual.

Any thoughts about exactly what the spec bump is going to be is just speculation at this point.

Yep. A Slim in August/September for UHD Blu-ray support and the Scorpio next year to move the Slim to my bedroom and become the main entertainment center piece.

Pretty much This, gonna give my little bro the my current Xbox one. Glad im not a student anymore..

So now in MP games people with an XBS have an advantage over XB users?
ex. Gears 4

Dont think we are talking about a 30 VS 60 fps advantage. At least untill we know more.

Journey

Banned
Scorpio is so far beyond the XB1 that it's simply a new generation.

Yea, Scorpio is almost 5x the power, we've seen generational leaps like this, also not sure why people are trying to call the S 1.2 when we don't have any info on what's inside.

God.

Goodbye to the "When is the best moment to buy a console?"

I think this is a really limited perspective to take.

If you already own an X1, there is little impetus to buy an X1S--well, at least, there isn't any *need* to buy an X1S.

So for any prospective buyers who *don't* own a current gen console, their choices are:
-Buy a PS4
-Buy an X1S
-Wait until next year and miss out on Battlefield 1, COD IW, TF2, etc.

If they want to play the games, they'll buy the console. That principle was the same before the X1S was announced and it's the same now.

If the Scorpio was being released MONTHS after the X1S, or even at the end of the year, I think that would be a more valid concern...but it's not. It's releasing over a year later. and it isn't even *replacing* the X1/X1S.

That's a long wait if you want to play a lot of these games.

So now in MP games people with an XBS have an advantage over XB users?
ex. Gears 4

Given that the X1S specs aren't even announced yet, nor their exact performance improvements, who knows?

But with Play Anywhere, people are going to have to get used to the idea that they're playing people on different machines that may outperform their own. That doesn't always mean we're creating some kind of technical caste system where the better machines, rather than skill, always win.

HokieJoe

My guess:

The S is only marginally more capable than the OG XB1. It will not match the PS4 in power. Neither the S or OG PS4 will match the PSNeo in performance.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I think this is a really limited perspective to take.

If you already own an X1, there is little impetus to buy an X1S--well, at least, there isn't any *need* to buy an X1S.

So for any prospective buyers who *don't* own a current gen console, their choices are:
-Buy a PS4
-Buy an X1S
-Wait until next year and miss out on Battlefield 1, COD IW, TF2, etc.

If they want to play the games, they'll buy the console. That principle was the same before the X1S was announced and it's the same now.

If the Scorpio was being released MONTHS after the X1S, or even at the end of the year, I think that would be a more valid concern...but it's not. It's releasing over a year later. and it isn't even *replacing* the X1/X1S.

That's a long wait if you want to play a lot of these games.

Well said.

Edit: moved to Scorpio thread.

rokkerkory

Well said.

Also, I am glad they hammered in 6TF during the conference so now we won't have "but rumors were 5-6TF and it could be as little as 5.1TF in the end". Now all Microsoft has to do is make sure they meet that 6TF for the GPU lol.
How much more would a Zen CPU and the 320GB/s GDDR5X(?) add to total TF measure? 6.1-6.2 total? More?

Wonder if it'll use Zen for cpu or a custom chip with some Zen stuff.

How much GFlops are CPUs usually these days?

Same SoC with little extra power for HDR stuff. Can't quote. Am on mobile.

I'm not expecting any difference in standard (non-HDR) games, but I wonder if it would help at all with BC performance? I guess it depends on whether the CPU is different at all.

Caayn

Sounds like they only removed some reserved power from system and released it to devs.

Same raw power from CPU/GPU.
Wouldn't a slight increase in clock speed that's only available when HDR is active be more logical. That way it has no effect on any of the operating system's tasks and future plans.

There it is:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/14/11934898/microsoft-xbox-one-s-additional-processing-power

Same SoC with little extra power for HDR stuff. Can't quote. Am on mobile.

"We have the same SOC architecture as Xbox One today," explains a Microsoft spokesperson. "For games that want to take advantage of HDR, we gave developers access to a small amount of additional processing power." The additional processing power won't be significant, and it appears it's limited to HDR titles.

/thread

dose

So there will now be three iterations of the Xbone and two PS4s that developers may have to target? Lol ok.

Alrighty, makes pondering the possibility of upgrading from the base Day 1 to S a little easier. Just need to know what differences Gears 4 will have between them. They already mentioned maintaining a higher resolution and frame rate and something to do with the surface of the armor in the game. But need to know how that actually translates into how the game looks and plays overall. I don't have an HDR display so I cannot take advantage of that feature.

I can attest that titles look better. I watched Gears side by side last night on an OG Xbox One and a new Xbox One S. It was up-rezzed to 4K and looked sharp

Wait, what? Will footage be released? Any word on specs? Were both upresd?
Coulda sworn he told me it was displaying up in 4K. I also had a few drinks in me mind you. Definitely looked sharper than OG Xbox running right next to it though. They specifically set them up next to each other to show it off

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
There are a Lott of variables at play. I want too see what things look like next year after the market has spoken. Very curious.

Top Bottom