• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S has additional CPU/GPU power, games can look and run better

Boss Mog

So the S is basically a 1.5 and the scorpio is a 2.0.

CdNufeJ.png

Bsigg12

Doubt it greatly

I mean, it's coming straight from the studio head. It's likely to have a bit of a boost simply from moving to a new die but the question is how much, and how will affect games that use dynamic resolutions like Gears 4, Halo 5, Doom and so on.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Maybe the 14nm allowed them to overclock it more. 800 MHz to 853 to 900 now? 950? 1000?

RyudBoy

I don't think it will be a huge boost considering GoW4 will run at a dynamic res.

Still tho, need to hear more on this. o_o

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Hopefully Digital Foundry get hold of one and do some testing in regards to FPS and other things.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's going to be funny watching Microsoft still struggle and not understand why more FLOPS doesn't mean more sales

When did they apply that more Flops automatically mean more sales ? Hardware power is def. the reason why PS4 game look/perform better than Xbox One games, which is why many chose the PS4 for multiplatform titles.

DjRalford

Not every 4K TV has HDR.

No it doesn't, and the cheap ones especially won;t have, but the resolution bump alone will be nice for some i'm sure, i held out specifically for the new Samsung HDR models released in the last month or two, and it is truelu something else with Native 4k HDR content.

Griss

If it's a small boost then it's better for MS not to talk about it. It has a USP - 4k video etc. Saying 'the games are better' just burns your early adopters.

Wait for Scorpio (and 4 years since XB1) to do that.

DjRalford

When did they apply that more Flops automatically mean more sales ? Hardware power is def. the reason why PS4 game look/perform better than Xbox One games, which is why many chose the PS4 for multiplatform titles.

No, Many chose PS4 for MS's initial brainfart of all SKU's Kinect bundled always online DRM, takes people a while to forget what happened with the original launch announcement, although clearly some forget quicker than others.

It's going to be funny watching Microsoft still struggle and not understand why more FLOPS doesn't mean more sales

They'll soon discover why people consider it a mistake when previous consoles began fragmenting their hardware install base.

Meanwhile all Sony does is show awesome games for an hour straight instead of announcing a new console and then another new console. How many people do they really expect will buy the Xbox One 3 times?

They've killed sales of Xbox One S stone cold dead immediately after announcing it, who's going to waste money on the S when the Scorpio is coming next year? MS needs to Google what the Osborne effect is. There's a reason why Sony is saying literally nothing about the Neo and can barely admit it even exists.

DjRalford

They'll soon discover why people consider it a mistake when previous consoles began fragmenting their hardware install base.

Meanwhile all Sony does is show awesome games for an hour straight instead of announcing a new console and then another new console. How many people do they really expect will buy the Xbox One 3 times?

Well with no RROD this time round they have to do something right?

I don't play sales figures. I play FLOPS. The more the merrier. This S console is probably just enough juice to flatten some FPS wrinkles in hairy moments. No biggie.

BajiRav

I think 360S also had a minor bump that they had to slow it down to maintain performance parity with launch 360s (or am I thinking of something else?)

Alright I am back in, gonna get the $400 one in August.

I have some digital games from my old Xbox one I wouldnt mind having access too again. And master chief, and rare replay.

I sold mine earlier this year because I wanted to get a 970 and got $200 for it. Not the best course of action but surely nobodys giving $200 for those old Xbox ones now.

I'm gonna need to know how many flops this thing got ASAP.

Also, good to hear Gears 4 is being mastered in 4k. The Scorpio upgrade will look phenomenal.

Bsigg12

They've killed sales of Xbox One S stone cold dead immediately after announcing it, who's going to waste money on the S when the Scorpio is coming next year?

They haven't killed sales of the S. It'll do well, especially as the cheapest UHD Blu-ray player on the market. They also don't expect people to buy each console. They want you to buy in when you're ready and upgrade when you want. They providing the option if a high-end model where you can move to if you want and know everything you own, games and accessories, will work just fine when you do buy it.

I don't think so

It's coming from a first party studio head. It's in all likelihood true, its just a question of how significant of a boost is it?

gamz

They've killed sales of Xbox One S stone cold dead immediately after announcing it, who's going to waste money on the S when the Scorpio is coming next year?

Nah. The One S is going to sell well.

It's number 1 on Amazon already. I know, I know it's meaningless...But I think some are underestimating it.

https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=sv_vg_12

I just dont know if all of these different boxes are a good idea. Im all for more powerful hardware, thats why I play games on PC. Thats why when I see news like this, or for the neo, or for scorpio I just ignore it. Its never going to amount to the power I can get from upgrading my PC. Then I think that maybe its a good idea because it makes games look and play better. After all you can do more with that extra power, and I get to ride off of that and my PC hardware gets pushed a little harder. However, if everything has to be backwards compatable then thats not going to happen. If I was a developer I would develop for the system that people had already bought. And I think thats whats going to happen. I think there will be some cases where this game looks a lot better on a neo or a scoprio, but in general I think its not going to make that much of a difference. I've also heard people cite the cell phone market as an example of this business behavior. You make things backwards compatable for so many years and then its easier to say X app only works with Iphone 4s and above. But we're already 3 years into this cycle, and by the time we can comfortably create that cut off line it would've been time for new hardware anyways.

I guess Im also coming off as a PC elitist, and maybe I have become somewhat like that since the 360 days. However, I love my PS4 and I love knowing that if a third party game gets a bad port I can just play it on my ps4 and get a more reliable experience (hopefully) due to a more rigours certification process and standardized hardware.

As Im writing this I have to wonder if this is a good business behavior for the consumer, or if its a behavior companies engage in because it tends to make more money than doing it the old way. Its easy to dress this up as a good thing, its a new box to play with and its a better one too. People who like tech (like gamers) like that idea. Still though is this just a more aggressive version of planned obsolescence in disguise an upgrade?

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Gears 4 still has 'framerate/resolution penalties' with the S model so it must be a fairly insignificant bump.

Nutter

They've killed sales of Xbox One S stone cold dead immediately after announcing it, who's going to waste money on the S when the Scorpio is coming next year? MS needs to Google what the Osborne effect is. There's a reason why Sony is saying literally nothing about the Neo and can barely admit it even exists.

You are acting like MS did not show games for an hour plus.

ps3ud0

Probably minor things like PCB layout - no doubt theyve moved to double sided PCB so would mean shorter traces between memory and APU or an improvement in the arrangement within the APU.

ps3ud0 8)

Top Bottom