• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S has additional CPU/GPU power, games can look and run better

Nutter

This is kinda big news...? Wonder why they didn't say anything

Because if they announce a spec bump and its still not enough to cover the difference between it and a PS4 they will still be mocked.

No need to announce something and admit that their original was a fuck up and still have it be weaker then a base PS4.

etta

my hard graphic balls
They'll soon discover why people consider it a mistake when previous consoles began fragmenting their hardware install base.

Meanwhile all Sony does is show awesome games for an hour straight instead of announcing a new console and then another new console. How many people do they really expect will buy the Xbox One 3 times?

They've killed sales of Xbox One S stone cold dead immediately after announcing it, who's going to waste money on the S when the Scorpio is coming next year? MS needs to Google what the Osborne effect is. There's a reason why Sony is saying literally nothing about the Neo and can barely admit it even exists.
And MS showed games for more than an hour.

I look forward to a whole new generation of "secret sauce" arguments.

Seriously though, if it mattered, they would have made a bigger deal about it.

MaulerX

Interesting. Maybe they didn't mention it at the conference to not piss people off? Maybe they didn't mention it because they want at least a few fat XB1's to sell in June and another few to sell in July?

I remember they said the 360 S had slightly more power as well but they could not use it for reasons. Maybe now with the way games are being built with scalability in mind with these iterative upgraded hardware we might see an actual difference? Even if small?

ElNino

How many people do they really expect will buy the Xbox One 3 times?
While I'm sure there will be some (I'm one of them), existing Xbox One owners don't need the S. While there might be some benefits, I doubt they will be significant outside of 4K media.

The Scorpio will be significant however.

While I'm sure there will be some (I'm one of them), existing Xbox One owners don't need the S. While there might be some benefits, I doubt they will be significant outside of 4K media.

The Scorpio will be significant however.

If you're willing to spend $300 to $400 up to 3 times, you should really just spend $1200 and build a powerful gaming PC.

Judging by what the Gears guy said, the HW bump won't fix 900p games, but it'll fix the bigger framerate hitches on some games.

ElNino

If you're willing to spend $300 to $400 up to 3 times, you should really just spend $1200 and build a powerful gaming PC.
My kids can't play Madden/NBA 2k/etc on a PC, and they also can't play many local co-op games either.

Regardless, if I wanted a beefy PC I would have one... but I choose to get a Surface/MBP instead to go along with the consoles (including the PS and Nintendo family).

MrBenchmark

They'll soon discover why people consider it a mistake when previous consoles began fragmenting their hardware install base.

Meanwhile all Sony does is show awesome games for an hour straight instead of announcing a new console and then another new console. How many people do they really expect will buy the Xbox One 3 times?

They've killed sales of Xbox One S stone cold dead immediately after announcing it, who's going to waste money on the S when the Scorpio is coming next year? MS needs to Google what the Osborne effect is. There's a reason why Sony is saying literally nothing about the Neo and can barely admit it even exists.

Pre-ordered my S today money i was going to spend on a 4K blu-ray player. That will be the third Xbox One in my house. And when Scorpio comes out that will take the place of the S. I use them for OTA TV apps AND games and they work with my harmony 650's. And no i never sell my systems so I'll still have them all hooked up in different rooms.

My PS4 is games only and even PS VUE i mostly run off my Fire TV's.

Different people have different purchase habits and uses,

Yeah, we do that after PC upgrades too, in fact i got more selling my last GPU when upgrading than anyone will likely ever get for selling their XBONE

giphy.gif

On topic, do we have any other news regarding an upgrade? I could see them not mentioning this in order to avoid completely bombing OG XB1 sales.

GavinGT

Banned
This will end up being a total non-issue. Most developers aren't gonna go out of their way to do anything with that.

Yeah, we do that after PC upgrades too, in fact i got more selling my last GPU when upgrading than anyone will likely ever get for selling their XBONE

I've done that the last 2 video cards I owned, sold my 970 and upgraded to 980 Ti, then sold the 980 Ti to upgrade to the 1080.

It's a nice way to live, but I can't really imagine someone getting a lot of money for an original Bone when the S comes out, and the S when the Scorpio comes out? I dunno.

weevles

Will there be a simple way to migrate data from your old One to the new S and will the S support your existing external data drive?

DanielJr82

If it really has more power, I may buy it after all. No Kinect though... what am I going to do with the $40 I've spent on Dance Central already??? =(

DjRalford

Will there be a simple way to migrate data from your old One to the new S and will the S support your existing external data drive?

Yes we plan to support you current external data for migration to the new platform*

*I am not a MS employee, and as such have no idea if any of the above is true

Bsigg12

As for the games on external drives, I would assume it works like it does now where you can plug that drive into any Xbox One you're logged into.

Zedox

If it really has more power, I may buy it after all. No Kinect though... what am I going to do with the $40 I've spent on Dance Central already??? =(

You can get the adapter for free. Kinect still works with Xbox One S (and I'm going to presume Scorpio too)

ElNino

As for the games on external drives, I would assume it works like it does now where you can plug that drive into any Xbox One you're logged into.
This. Game/app data is simply brought over if you use an external drive and user data is synced when you sign in and launch a game/app.

If you only use the internal drive, then I guess you'd either need to copy to an external first or download again.

Dynamic secret sauce 2.1?

I want to trade my OG X1 for the slim just for white colour, no power brick and space saving. Getting a little bump to Halo 5's resolution along the way would be nice.

Top Bottom