• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Well after thinking hard whether to sell my Xbox,i decided to trade it for an S and stick it in my bedroom.Much prefer the new design

Caayn

Please. Someone. This.

What TV do you have, Caayn?
LG 55EG920v, the EU version of the EG9200.
Seems to be working fine on my LG 55EF950V.
Do you see a difference in the black levels between the two RGB versions? When I pick pc-RGB with 4K+30/36bits, it seems to use incorrect RGB settings.

I've created a video to show it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAHXvbGvfBk&feature=youtu.be

Every combination with ""pc rgb" should display a perfect black background, and every combination with "standard" should display a grey blackground. As you can see at 4K only 24bits show a correct picture with pc-rgb.
So I did this, One S directly into the TV, and nothing changed. Still only the first thing is checked off. Red Circle with a Slash through everything else.
Strange. I've got no idea why. Sorry.

DirtyLarry

So plugging the One S directly into my TV, a Vizio M-65 C1, into the HDMI Port that reads 4K @ 60Hz, only a minor difference with the 4K TV Details, and that is it mistakenly referencing HDR. All of the other settings are still no go. I have tried every single possible setting multiple times including restarting the One S to see if that made the settings kick in.

TV Resolution
(GREEN CHECKMARK) Your TV Supports 4K UHD

Watching Movies & TV
(RED CIRCLE) Your TV setup doesnt support 4K 10-bit @ 24Hz. Some content only plays with a 10-bit color depth--- you may not be able to watch it.
(RED CIRCLE) Your TV setup doesnt support 4K 10-bit @ 50Hz. Some content only plays with a 10-bit color depth--- you may not be able to watch it.
(RED CIRCLE) Your TV setup doesnt support 4K 10-bit @ 60Hz. Some content only plays with a 10-bit color depth--- you may not be able to watch it.
(YELLOW TRIANGLE WITH !) HDR for games and apps is turned off. To turn it on, back up and select Allow HDR

Playing Games
(RED CIRCLE) Your TV setup doesnt support 4K 10-bit at 60Hz. You wont be able to play games at 4K
(YELLOW TRIANGLE WITH !) HDR for games & apps is turned off. To turn it on, back up and select Allow HDR.

So is it just I will always only have the first 4K setting and my TV does not support anything else? Any help is greatly appreciated.

If it is a matter of it will not support anything else, does this mean I cannot watch 4K BluRays? Pretty much one of the major reasons I picked it up to begin with?

After all the research I did the last few days, I've decided this it the best 4K HDR TV for the price at the moment:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...ge-black/5133600.p?id=bb5133600&skuId=5133600

It seems that if you're going 4K, HDR is where it's at and my research basically showed that a lot of these TV's claiming to have it actually don't. I'm also on a budget so I'm not going huge. This will basically just be an upgrade of the 40" Samsung I have in my gaming room now that I bought almost two years ago for $500 on Cyber Monday. They are really nice TV's with amazing picture quality.

Can't wait to dive into 4K. I'm picking up my S tomorrow and hopefully will receive my TV by Friday. Then I'll just need to upgrade my Netflix account to 4K streaming. HYPE!

Just so you know, the TV you listed "supports" HDR in that it can decode it and play it, but it has absolutely no local dimming support (it is an edge lit panel after all!), and is well below the HDR standards for peak brightness. In other words, you do not get any picture quality improvements outside of your TV saying that it is displaying HDR content. It's pretty much going to look exactly like a SDR image does today. It's also an 8-bit panel so no Wide Color Gamut so there isn't really an improvement there.

More info: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku7000

Again, for the price it's a fine 4k TV. Do not expect a night and day difference or really expect to see a noticeable difference in picture quality with and without HDR.

I have to say, I really hate how TV manufacturers and the standards organizations have handled all of this. So many mid and lower-end TV's are getting advertised with HDR stickers which aren't able to truly display HDR content. Luckily, the UHD Alliance at CES this year finally ratified a standard called "UHD Premium" where there are actual requirements to get that sticker, including things like bit-depth, resolution, color palette and brightness/black levels. Some TV's were already able to get certified this year, but starting next year you know that if you don't have the UHD Premium sticker that it is missing out on some part of the overall UHD picture quality and is worth checking out detailed technical reviews to see what's happening.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well I had originally cancelled my 2TB order for the cheaper 500GB Halo bundle to save $100.

Now I ended up cancelling that pre-order so I could buy this deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291835565889

Xbox One S 2TB + Halo 5 + DOOM + Quantum Break for $400. Even better if you got the 10% back targeted offer from eBay (I didn't) but even without it you get $8 back in eBay bucks.

Seems like a pretty legit bundle considering

Ulysses 31

LG 55EG920v, the EU version of the EG9200.
Do you see a difference in the black levels between the two RGB versions? When I pick pc-RGB with 4K+30/36bits, it seems to use incorrect RGB settings.

I've created a video to show it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAHXvbGvfBk&feature=youtu.be

Every combination with ""pc rgb" should display a perfect black background, and every combination with "standard" should display a grey blackground. As you can see at 4K only 24bits show a correct picture with pc-rgb.
Strange. I've got no idea why. Sorry.

Had to set Black Level to High but now I also get grey blacks with 30 and 36 bit + Pc RGB.

Just so you know, the TV you listed "supports" HDR in that it can decode it and play it, but it has absolutely no local dimming support (it is an edge lit panel after all!), and is well below the HDR standards for peak brightness. In other words, you do not get any picture quality improvements outside of your TV saying that it is displaying HDR content. It's pretty much going to look exactly like a SDR image does today. It's also an 8-bit panel so no Wide Color Gamut so there isn't really an improvement there.

Again, for the price it's a fine 4k TV. Do not expect a night and day difference or really expect to see a noticeable difference in picture quality with and without HDR.

I have to say, I really hate how TV manufacturers and the standards organizations have handled all of this. So many mid and lower-end TV's are getting advertised with HDR stickers which aren't able to truly display HDR content. Luckily, the UHD Alliance at CES this year finally ratified a standard called "UHD Premium" where there are actual requirements to get that sticker, including things like bit-depth, resolution, color palette and brightness/black levels. Some TV's were already able to get certified this year, but starting next year you know that if you don't have the UHD Premium sticker that it is missing out on some part of the overall UHD picture quality and is worth checking out detailed technical reviews to see what's happening.

Well, can you suggest a TV that has real HDR because from what I've read, the 7000 series does, it's the 6300 series that says it does but really doesn't. That's the reason it's $200 more.

So plugging the One S directly into my TV, a Vizio M-65 C1, into the HDMI Port that reads 4K @ 60Hz, only a minor difference with the 4K TV Details, and that is it mistakenly referencing HDR. All of the other settings are still no go. I have tried every single possible setting multiple times including restarting the One S to see if that made the settings kick in.

So is it just I will always only have the first 4K setting and my TV does not support anything else? Any help is greatly appreciated.

If it is a matter of it will not support anything else, does this mean I cannot watch 4K BluRays? Pretty much one of the major reasons I picked it up to begin with?

Since you have it plugged directly into the 4K HDMI port, the only thing I can suggest is that you go to Display & Sound -> Video Output

What does your TV resolution say? It should say "4K UHD"

If not, go to Advanced video settings and make sure you have HDMI set to Auto-detect (Recommended)

What's happening is that your EDID for the TV is reporting a 4K set, so Xbox One tried to go to 4K. However, when it's running the actual tests, something is causing a problem.

The three major reasons for this are

1. Not in the correct HDMI port. (which you have figured out)
2. Passing through a Receiver that doesn't support 4K
3. Bad HDMI cable (using an older, Standard-speed vs. High-speed HDMI cable)

Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox One S (or the Xbox One if you had one before?)

Hawk269

Albert I sent you a pm in regards to the blu ray app. on my set when watching a 4k UHD disk in HDR the black letter box boarders are light black. I also have the Samsung UHD player and using the same input and black bars are pure black. When I used Netflix the black bars are also pure black. it is only when using a disk that I am getting light black bars, which leads me to think there is an issue with the app.

Caayn

why are you using pc rgb in the first place?
I asked him. I know that the gamma curve for pc rgb is incorrect on the XB1. But I've noticed that pc rgb is flat out not working with certain settings at 4K. That's why I asked other people to see if they can replicate it or if something is wrong with my set.

I've long given up hope that MS will ever fix the pc rgb gamma curve.
Only tested 4K so far.
No problem, thanks!

DirtyLarry

Since you have it plugged directly into the 4K HDMI port, the only thing I can suggest is that you go to Display & Sound -> Video Output

What does your TV resolution say? It should say "4K UHD"

If not, go to Advanced video settings and make sure you have HDMI set to Auto-detect (Recommended)

What's happening is that your EDID for the TV is reporting a 4K set, so Xbox One tried to go to 4K. However, when it's running the actual tests, something is causing a problem.

The three major reasons for this are

1. Not in the correct HDMI port. (which you have figured out)
2. Passing through a Receiver that doesn't support 4K
3. Bad HDMI cable (using an older, Standard-speed vs. High-speed HDMI cable)

Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the Xbox One S (or the Xbox One if you had one before?)
Thanks for the reply.
It does say 4K UHD for resolution.
HDMI is set to Auto (Recommended).

In regards to the 3 Major Reasons
1) It is now in the 4K @ 60Hz port. Has been for awhile.
2) I am bypassing the receiver as you know.
3) Using the cable that came with the Slim itself as I figured that would be the best route to take. With that said all the other cables I have are no less than 6 months old and all "High Speed" ones picked up from Amazon. I could try one of those if it is perhaps the cable that has come with the Slim?

Thanks again for the reply.

Bubba77

Well I had originally cancelled my 2TB order for the cheaper 500GB Halo bundle to save $100.

Xbox One S 2TB + Halo 5 + DOOM + Quantum Break for $400. Even better if you got the 10% back targeted offer from eBay (I didn't) but even without it you get $8 back in eBay bucks.

Great find! Bought. I have a launch xb1 and all 3 of those games but well figure that out. I guess selling that can help fund 4k tv

Hey DirtyLarry, I have the same set you do. I don't think our sets are HDR capable so the 4k @ 60 is probably all we are gonna see in that window.

How do I take the stand off? I put it on to see how the system looked with it on but I actually want to lay the system down. Unfortunately it feels like the stand is really in there so I'm afraid to pull too hard cause I don't want to break anything.

Would this one be just as good then if HDR is a non-factor?:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...lack/3953157.p?id=1219609307257&skuId=3953157

It's on sale for $550 right now which makes it $150 cheaper than the one with "HDR".

cackhyena

Well, can you suggest a TV that has real HDR because from what I've read, the 7000 series does, it's the 6300 series that says it does but really doesn't. That's the reason it's $200 more.
Vizio P series does. They just got an update for HDR as well. Not sure of the specifics.

DirtyLarry

Hey DirtyLarry, I have the same set you do. I don't think our sets are HDR capable so the 4k @ 60 is probably all we are gonna see in that window.
Yep, Thanks for the reply! I do know we will not be seeing the HDR.
I believe we should be seeing at least one of the 4K 10-Bit settings is my understanding.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm so incredibly close to caving.

I have $550AU cash just sitting there waiting for the Gears console. Not sure I can wait 2 more months.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I believe we should be seeing at least one of the 4K 10-Bit settings is my understanding.

Yeah I'm gonna try and look up more on this. I'm gonna be getting my S later this month so I will be in the same boat.

SaganIsGOAT

GOD DAMN THAT BUNDLE. hmmmmmmmmmmm

I bought one of the Xbox ones on sale like 2 weeks ago and just traded it in (along with my Disney infinity shit) for the 500gb white one(not actually spending anything on it though)

Because I'm an idiot.

I have a 65 inch 4k tv. I think it does WCG but not HDR.

I'm excited!

Does anyone know how to remove the god forsakened vertical stand for this thing? I had it on but quickly realized that I dont want it on anymore ?

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm so incredibly close to caving.

I have $550AU cash just sitting there waiting for the Gears console. Not sure I can wait 2 more months.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
I can't personally relate to people who like custom designed consoles, and electronics in general. Custom design/decals slapped on electronics just looks tacky to me. I'll stick with vanilla, clean, black or white simple design thank you very much. I'll use game art as background when I am overwhelmed with hype, that's it. Don't want it on my console.

Nice I did the same exact thing. Had 2tb, cancelled it for Halo 500gb, now seeing this pulled the 2tb model.

I have been looking at the 2016 M Series tvs, and I came across this bit of information when reading about the recent HDR10 update for the P and M series tvs:

To enjoy UHD Blu-ray in HDR on your Vizio TV make sure that you have “HDMI subsampling” turned on for the HDMI input that the player is connected to.
Read more at http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1469791153#Z5FwLyQWXGRvvcwX.99

I don't know if that will help you at all, but I thought it couldn't hurt to post. Good luck.

LowSignal

WTH..... that's a steal

SOR5

The Xbox One S is the most beautiful gaming console out there

GIF--Approve-Approval-Like-Likes-Awesome-Nice-one-Good-one-thumbs-up-Mike-Myers-GIF.gif

DirtyLarry

I have been looking at the 2016 M Series tvs, and I came across this bit of information when reading about the recent HDR10 update for the P and M series tvs:

To enjoy UHD Blu-ray in HDR on your Vizio TV make sure that you have “HDMI subsampling” turned on for the HDMI input that the player is connected to.
Read more at http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1469791153#Z5FwLyQWXGRvvcwX.99

I don't know if that will help you at all, but I thought it couldn't hurt to post. Good luck.
Thank you for sharing this. I do not think I got the firmware update yet, they update on their own which drives me nuts, but I am hoping it is indeed this is the issue.
With that said I do not even see HDMI Subsampling anywhere, so it very well may be it will come in the update.

Again, Thank You for sharing!!! Would be great if this is what I need.
Larry

T3UtgCa.png

MMwowUr.png

Thanks Amazon! Glad I spent $400 + tax to get a dinged up system. And the same day that Newegg puts up a much better bundle for $400 without tax.

I'm talking to customer support right now to try and get a replacement and match the bundle.

DirtyLarry

Yeah I'm gonna try and look up more on this. I'm gonna be getting my S later this month so I will be in the same boat.
Also FYI, thanks for the suggestion on the settings, could be the placebo effect but right now the blacks do not look so artifacted for sure.

There is a specific TV show I really notice it in, Outcast, so I will definitely be able to tell this Friday night.
Again, thanks for sharing.

Also FYI, thanks for the suggestion on the settings, could be the placebo effect but right now the blacks do not look so artifacted for sure.

There is a specific TV show I really notice it in, Outcast, so I will definitely be able to tell this Friday night.
Again, thanks for sharing.

No problem.

A followup on the dinged up XBox I got from Amazon, they're replacing it and apparently matching the promotion from Newegg. If you ordered from Amazon, you should consider contacting support asap.

Soupy

Banned
2015 model. I believe HDR didn't really start being implemented until early this year.

Samsung had HDR on their 4K sets in 2015, but only for their three most expensive 4KTV models. Unfortunately those three sets got some pretty bad reviews when it came to input lag and gaming use in general.

JeffG

T3UtgCa.png

MMwowUr.png

Thanks Amazon! Glad I spent $400 + tax to get a dinged up system. And the same day that Newegg puts up a much better bundle for $400 without tax.

I'm talking to customer support right now to try and get a replacement and match the bundle.

Is the Xbox actually Damaged? It looks just to be the box that is damaged.

Top Bottom