• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Cleve

Did they give an idea of when they would be able to? It took me months to get my wife on board with screaming at the TV to control everything, and if it is too many weeks without Kinect, I am pretty sure she will want to keep things the "old school" way and forego screaming at the TV to turn on, turn up the volume, etc.

Will be picking my S up in about an hour or so from GameStop on my way home from work.

Within 24 hours (of 2 est today.)
Cody N.
You are eligible for the FREE Kinect adapter, and a new order will be immediately created for you. So please contact us back after 24 hours when the system is ready for the orders.

New002

It may be superficial, but I'm a collector, and I don't love the idea of a brand new console being possibly damaged. It's also just not great on top of Newegg's deal today.

I just did the chat support.

Worst case scenario, it should cost around $5 to ship it back to them.

Source: Me because I'm about to do it :p

tommyguns

LOL. still waiting on my shipment from Amazon. I never have issues with them. Says it shipped out via their local delivery service at 5 PM. It is now 8:20 an still nothing. I contacted Amazon support and they said "We checked your order and there seems to be a delay in delivery." How fantastic.

On top of that, they gave me a quick "we do not price match" when it came to watching the newegg deal. First time EVER that Amazon customer service was unhelpful.

Rockeeo

A followup on the dinged up XBox I got from Amazon, they're replacing it and apparently matching the promotion from Newegg. If you ordered from Amazon, you should consider contacting support asap.

My Xbox One S was not damaged. I asked Amazon chat if they would match the bundle. They told me they do not price match.

Did they match the bundle due to the problems they caused you shipping a damaged console?

grizzelye

LOL. still waiting on my shipment from Amazon. I never have issues with them. Says it shipped out via their local delivery service at 5 PM. It is now 8:20 an still nothing. I contacted Amazon support and they said "We checked your order and there seems to be a delay in delivery." How fantastic.

On top of that, they gave me a quick "we do not price match" when it came to watching the newegg deal. First time EVER that Amazon customer service was unhelpful.

My Amazon order says it was delivered. But surprise surprise, where is it? lol

Someone out there is enjoying their free Xbox One S (for now)

Managed to order from Gamespot UK, hoping to be delivered Thursday.

I have to wait 48 hours before I can get my refund processed.

Caja 117

juego st hooked up myne, going to the update now, so far this console is sexy af, and is very silent.

The amount of physical space this baby is saving me is great, I love my ps4 for this,now my xbox one is like it.

tommyguns

My Amazon order says it was delivered. But surprise surprise, where is it? lol

Someone out there is enjoying their free Xbox One S (for now)

Managed to order from Gamespot UK, hoping to be delivered Thursday.

I have to wait 48 hours before I can get my refund processed.

Yeah, that is awful. I ordered through amazon because (Usually) they are great. no problems ever. Plus, I had $150 in gift cards so that helped. Still, this is very frustrating

Would this one be just as good then if HDR is a non-factor?:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung...lack/3953157.p?id=1219609307257&skuId=3953157

It's on sale for $550 right now which makes it $150 cheaper than the one with "HDR".

Generally, yes. It's a good value for the money. The KU7000 can get brighter than the other one for sure, but I don't see if it's worth the extra money. If your space is in a very bright location it might be good to have and it comes down to whether you think it's worth the price difference. If you can, try to find a video shop to do a comparison.

Here are the rtings information for both of them:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku7000
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ju6500

Personally, this is what I would recommend. If you can't budget $1,000 for a TV and you very much need one, than it's not worth any extra money trying to get one which advertises HDR because you'll only be disappointed if you think it will be a noticeable difference in image quality. Simply get a good value 4K TV. However, if you can budget $1,000 take a look at Vizio's line-up and in particular the P-Series. The smallest it comes in right now is 50", but it has a 10-bit panel, WCG support and HDR support. It's certainly more of an entry-level HDR TV, but it should actually be noticeable improvement in image quality compared to a SDR TV.

If you can coast with your current TV until early next year, we'll see the next wave of TV's with HDR start rolling out and they should very quickly be reaching sub $1000 prices, particularly Vizio. That's just my assumption of course and we'll have to see if they can do that. Considering Vizio's good TV is at $1k, I would bet that next year they might be able to release a sub-50" with HDR for <$1k and have it actually be decent. Maybe not UHD Premium label worthy, but great value for the price.

In the end though, I'll say regardless of the TV's you've listed, you'll be happy either way. Hopefully you'll see some good improvements, and naturally be sure to calibrate to get the most out of them. :)

All the reviews I've seen on this have been terrible. The main reason to upgrade, the 4k media playback functionality, is mentioned for less than a paragraph with no pictures. Some of the reviews were done on 1080p televisions for crying out loud.

Disappointed that there is still no teardown videos or internal shots other than DF's processor shot.

All the reviews I've seen on this have been terrible. The main reason to upgrade, the 4k media playback functionality, is mentioned for less than a paragraph with no pictures. Some of the reviews were done on 1080p televisions for crying out loud.

I agree.
And it is funny to see most of the reviewers stumble over the 'should you buy it' question.
For me at least it is simple.

Good Buy
If you haven't upgraded to current gen. yet.
If you only have PS4 but have wanted an xbox for exclusives.
If you have a 4k tv and want a cheap 4k player.

Reasonable Buy
You already have an X1 but want to fully utilize your shiny new 4k HDR tv.

Bad Buy
You have an X1 already and don't have a 4k tv.
You have an X1 already and don't care about 4k movies or HDR.

(personally I fit into the 'bad buy' category as I don't have a 4k tv to use it and already have an X1, but boy does it look sexy :z)

dcx4610

Some tips for those using the One S controller on a PC/laptop.

- Update your Windows 10 to the newest patch that came out today (required).
- Download the Xbox Accessories app from the MS Store
- Plug in the controller to update the firmware
- Update your Bluetooth drivers
- Pair the controller
- To turn the controller off, hold the power button for 10 seconds. If you turn Bluetooth off in Windows itself, it seems to break the controller pairing and you have to pair it again
- Turning the controller on and off seems to work and remembers the pairing

Great controller but it was a pain in the ass to get paired correctly and working properly.

gamz

I've never seen so many reviews saying the console is great, but it's too late with Scorpion coming out or what not. Just review the damn current product!

SOR5

Yeah, that is awful. I ordered through amazon because (Usually) they are great. no problems ever. Plus, I had $150 in gift cards so that helped. Still, this is very frustrating

You'll get it, fret not

Amazon rarely fuck up, and when they do they scramble to fix the problem

U2NUMB

Got mine... unpacked it and was surprised just how small it feels in the hand. It is a sexy ass looking console... updating right now. Controller is nice but I will stick with my Elite.

Now to price out 4K tvs...

Dolobill

Some tips for those using the One S controller on a PC/laptop.

- Update your Windows 10 to the newest patch that came out today (required).
- Download the Xbox Accessories app from the MS Store
- Plug in the controller to update the firmware
- Update your Bluetooth drivers
- Pair the controller
- To turn the controller off, hold the power button for 10 seconds. If you turn Bluetooth off in Windows itself, it seems to break the controller pairing and you have to pair it again
- Turning the controller on and off seems to work and remembers the pairing

Great controller but it was a pain in the ass to get paired correctly and working properly.

I've done all of this and I still can't get this controller to work. It says it's paired under "Manage Bluetooth Devices" but I still have a blinking light on my controller and it doesn't function at all.

dcx4610

I've done all of this and I still can't get this controller to work. It says it's paired under "Manage Bluetooth Devices" but I still have a blinking light on my controller and it doesn't function at all.

Remove the controller from the Bluetooth settings.

Hold down the power on the controller for about 10 seconds until it turns off. Turn it on and hold down the sync button at the top until the light starts blinking fast.

Open Bluetooth Settings, click the pair button and then the power button should go steady.

If that doesn't work, I would double check the Bluetooth drivers.

tommyguns

Got mine... unpacked it and was surprised just how small it feels in the hand. It is a sexy ass looking console... updating right now. Controller is nice but I will stick with my Elite.

Now to price out 4K tvs...

Just got mine as well! That 9:15 amazon delivery;)

Quick question for anyone who has one so far...the black underside, does yours have some give to it? Like when unboxing I noticed it creaking and moving a bit when I felt it. Not a huge deal I suppose since the console will rest on it. Just curious

DirtyLarry

Is there an easy way to copy ALL games on an external drive to the internal HDD or does one need to do them one at a time?
I still have my launch One which was my main console before this Slim, so plan on keeping the external to use with it since it is only a 500GB internal, but I have the external from it hooked up to the Slim right now and it would be awesome if there is a way to Select All, but I am not seeing it.

Spasm

Does anyone have any recommendations for a UHD PC gaming monitor, around 28 inches, that supports HDR? I just got the LU28E590DS/ZA, and zilcho. No HDR. This is going back to Costco if I can find a suitable replacement.

DirtyLarry

Within 24 hours (of 2 est today.)
As an FYI, I did not see your response until just now or I would have waited, but I just processed my order with support over chat, so it looks like they are taking them now. They said please allow 5-7 days for delivery.
bUWb.jpg

Hawk269

just a heads up for those new to the Xbox One and/or never used Kinect. don't forget to set up your devices such as your TV, receiver and cable box etc. with the built in IR it van control your devices such as turning them on and off when you power up or power off the system.

Dolobill

Remove the controller from the Bluetooth settings.

Hold down the power on the controller for about 10 seconds until it turns off. Turn it on and hold down the sync button at the top until the light starts blinking fast.

Open Bluetooth Settings, click the pair button and then the power button should go steady.

If that doesn't work, I would double check the Bluetooth drivers.

So it turns out the controller is working but I seem to have a problem with extremely short bluetooth range. The inputs are only detected when my controller is literally touching my pc. It's a new pc so I haven't tried other bluetooth devices yet. I know the mobo came with a long wifi antenna. Should I try using that? I didn't think it would be necessary. I mean, consoles don't need an antenna to connect to their controllers

Edit: I'm a dumbass. It's working fine with the antenna connected.

Colbert

Banned
Is there an easy way to copy ALL games on an external drive to the internal HDD or does one need to do them one at a time?
I still have my launch One which was my main console before this Slim, so plan on keeping the external to use with it since it is only a 500GB internal, but I have the external from it hooked up to the Slim right now and it would be awesome if there is a way to Select All, but I am not seeing it.

I really recommend to purchase an external drive. You will never need to move games around again.

To your question: There is no method I know of you can make a bulk move/copy operation of all your games and apps. You have to do it for each game and app. But you don't need to wait to for completion of each operation. They will queued up.

dcx4610

So it turns out the controller is working but I seem to have a problem with extremely short bluetooth range. The inputs are only detected when my controller is literally touching my pc. It's a new pc so I haven't tried other bluetooth devices yet. I know the mobo came with a long wifi antenna. Should I try using that? I didn't think it would be necessary. I mean, consoles don't need an antenna to connect to their controllers

Edit: I'm a dumbass. It's working fine with the antenna connected.

Don't worry. I was the same dumb ass. I was doing the same thing. I didn't realize the wireless antenna was used for both WiFi AND Bluetooth and never bothered connecting it.

So yes, for everyone with PCs and Bluetooth, connect your antenna that came with your motherboard.

DirtyLarry

I really recommend to purchase an external drive. You will never need to move games around again.

To your question: There is no method I know of you can make a bulk move/copy operation of all your games and apps. You have to do it for each game and app. But you don't need to wait to for completion of each operation. They will queued up.
I know how they work, I already have an external drive which is why I am asking. However I use it on my old One which I still own and plan on hooking up in my bedroom. The current external I have is for it, but I would like the games I have on it copied to the Slim.

Or another way to look at it...
I now have 2TB of space with the Slim. I plan on using it.

J-Rzez

If it wasn't something we were considering strongly, I would not have mentioned it. :)

It's really more a question of "when" then "if", but I've learned my lesson in trying to predict the future with certainty.

Mostly I wanted to address that it's a request that we have heard, and let people know there is no HW limitation. It's a software update and now it goes into the large bucket of feature requests that the team has to prioritize.

I'm not sure how such an oversight happened in the first place to be honest. I mean your touting big features for experience like HDR10, "better pixels," but yet forget about better audio? That's very disappointing. Was about to buy one today then did a quick search and saw this and put it back on the shelf.

Guess ill wait and see "when" you guys get around to this. Sooner is better than later for obvious reasons. Maybe then a black/flat black model will be available because the white sticks out like a sore thumb in my entertainment center, despite that I like white consoles.

Colbert

Banned
I know how they work, I already have an external drive which is why I am asking. However I use it on my old One which I still own and plan on hooking up in my bedroom. The current external I have is for it, but I would like the games I have on it copied to the Slim.

Or another way to look at it...
I now have 2TB of space with the Slim. I plan on using it.

Yeah, forgot about the 2TB hdd in the console.

mantis23

So from what I can tell, the Netflix app is the only app that currently supports 4K output. Has anyone successfully been able to play anything in HDR from Netflix?

When I play a UHD disc my set shows that it's in HDR, but I'm not seeing that from Netflix.

We didn't sell a single unit today. Curious if there's people waiting for the 1TB, people just don't know it's out or there's a lack of interest.

Magwik

Banned
We didn't sell a single unit today. Curious if there's people waiting for the 1TB, people just don't know it's out or there's a lack of interest.
Where do you work?
I'd assume in most suburban areas the $400 is a steep price since the old models are going for really low now

Define pop in and out? Like I can just pull it right out? When I try that it feels like its gonna break something.

It takes some force to put the stand in, but it's important to try to put it in evenly. It also takes some force to take the stand out. And yes, doing it incorrectly could break it pretty easily. Evenly pushing the stand out on both sides (using both thumbs) is the way to go.

Hawk269

So from what I can tell, the Netflix app is the only app that currently supports 4K output. Has anyone successfully been able to play anything in HDR from Netflix?

When I play a UHD disc my set shows that it's in HDR, but I'm not seeing that from Netflix.
there is not too much HDR content on Netflix. several 4k but only a few HDR.

So my launch xbox one is totally obsolete? I have a 4k tv, and there is absolutely no chances that microsoft will patch in some 4k features?

Max_Po

Banned
So my launch xbox one is totally obsolete? I have a 4k tv, and there is absolutely no chances that microsoft will patch in some 4k features?

You have to sleep with you xboxone under you pillow and hope Phil Spencer visits you in a fairy costume to upgrade you xbox1 to xbox1 s.

SOR5

Theyre the exact same console with the same support apart from one can stream 4K and has HDR.

Your launch console isnt obsolete

madjackal

Anyone know if you can still select bitstream out on hdmi for good old dolby 5.1 like on the older XB1 models? Considering upgrading but my receiver is old and won't accept anything other than bitstream. Thanks!

For folks with the new controller, do the bumpers feel really mushy on yours?

I'm coming from a lunar white controller and those bumpers were much improved from the launch controller. The new ones feel like a step backwards.

mantis23

there is not too much HDR content on Netflix. several 4k but only a few HDR.
Yes, but if I play something like Marco Polo, which is HDR, I'm currently not able to get it to come up as HDR via the Xbox. If I load Netflix on the tv itself it will play as HDR, but not on the Xbox app. I was just curious if anyone else was able to do so or if it is just not implemented in the Xbox app quite yet.

etta

my hard graphic balls
For folks with the new controller, do the bumpers feel really mushy on yours?

I'm coming from a lunar white controller and those bumpers were much improved from the launch controller. The new ones feel like a step backwards.
Sounds like a defect.

Top Bottom